• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Messi

All right guys. I'm going to go to a comics and toys/action figures/statues shop (Toy Wars, if you're wondering, ReAxion) with my sizable bundle of tip money. Wish me luck!

Ah! That's issue 5 actually. (Don't worry, I didn't know that off the top of my head. Only knew it because I'd just opened up the omnibus 30 minutes ago.)
That's super cool though. I definitely didn't catch that symbolism when I was reading it. Great stuff.

You are a changed man. Look at you buying all those figures like a figuregaffer

Given that DC is already reboot-friendly, one wonders if the universe wouldn't be far more interesting if they put the reboot on a clock like, say, 4-5 years, and then characters are allowed to truly suffer consequences until the next reboot.

Which, obv, would force editors to have some sorta guiding line for the whole cycle, but would also allow writers to toy with concepts such as "what would be the long term ramifications of superman being truly dead for the next 2-3 years?"

Problem with punting those scenarios to an elseworlds kinda deal is that writers can just brush alla that noise off and keep rehashing stories.

(and now i wait for someone to tell me that this was already done and i didnt know about it because i barely touch dc)

I've always thought it should be this way for the Big 2, especially DC. It'd make for some interesting stories.

!!!

is this CMX redeemable?

c'mon people, you've got no excuse for $15 you can read this glorious reading list

Eh... I dunno. It's sort of a messy mix of volumes, singles, all sorts of stuff. Then there's the fact that they've got X-O Manowar volumes 1, 2, 3, 4 and... 7?

I think I'll just head over to Half Priced Books if I ever really wanna get into Valiant. Tried Quantum and Woody and ended up bouncing off it.

Eh... I dunno. It's sort of a messy mix of volumes, singles, all sorts of stuff. Then there's the fact that they've got X-O Manowar volumes 1, 2, 3, 4 and... 7?

I think I'll just head over to Half Priced Books if I ever really wanna get into Valiant. Tried Quantum and Woody and ended up bouncing off it.

It is kind of weird. Jumps around a bit.

I own everything. :x

Bouncing off it?

I've always thought it should be this way for the Big 2, especially DC. It'd make for some interesting stories.

For Marvel i can kinda understand why they don't do it, given how they've never rebooted and allathat. For DC, though? That bridge's long been crossed. No point in not taking advantage of the benefits of a system that they're using haphazardly.

I mean, there are benefits to a permanent continuity, as anyone that wanted to murder whoever was responsible for messing with Hellblazer will readily attest.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

oh that is kind of a weird mix

damnit

Neoxon

Marvel just announced Guardians of Infinity, a GotG spin-off comic by Dan Abnett. It's basically a mix of the current Guardians (Rocket, Groot, & Drax), along with the Guardians 3000 team.

guardoi2015001-cheung-1--149230.jpg

GUARDIANS OF INFINITY #1
Written by DAN ABNETT & JASON LATOUR
Art by CARLO BARBERI & JIM CHEUNG
Cover by JIM CHEUNG
Variant Cover by CARLO BARBERI

IN THE INFINITE EXPANSE OF TIME AND SPACE IS THERE ROOM FOR MORE GUARDIANS? YOU BET THERE IS!

Defending the galaxy is a good gig, but Drax isn’t thrilled with the combat hours (not enough of them) and Rocket isn’t thrilled with the compensation (not enough of it). They’re off on an adventure to supplement both, and Groot is happy to come along. But instead of the perks they want, they’re about to get more trouble than they can handle. Good thing the Guardians 3000 are on hand to help! But what about…THE GUARDIANS 1000??!!

Also in this issue, Latour and Cheung tell a one-off story of Ben Grimm and Rocket Raccoon, stuck on a planet where culture is based on Earth-style professional wrestling…but the stakes are life and death! THIS AIN’T KAYFABE, BROTHER!

That Valiant bundle gets you started, but as a person who initially started out like "wtf is going on here", it's pretty confusing when there are blatant gaps in the collection. Maybe they're in the bonuses, but as it stands, people would need some guidance if they buy this bundle.

That said, it's still a fantastic value.

I read a volume and change, then ended up losing interest. Would read a page here and a page there. Ultimately just moved on and haven't really felt the urge to go back.

Eh, guess it's not for everyone.

That said, I push Valiant as a whole, but all the books are fundamentally different. If you're looking for something more serious, I'd suggest another title.

Yousefb

So I asked r/comicbooks what they thought of the Marvel Star Wars comics and the responses have been overwhelmingly positive to my surprise. Especially the main title, Vader, and Lando. Does ComicGAF agree? I like Star Wars but I'm not a super fan by any means, but if people really love these books I might just dive in.

So I asked r/comicbooks what they thought of the Marvel Star Wars comics and the responses have been overwhelmingly positive to my surprise. Especially the main title, Vader, and Lando. Does ComicGAF agree? I like Star Wars but I'm not a super fan by any means, but if people really love these books I might just dive in.

I've only been reading those 3 books..
But yes they have all been awesome!

Yep. Vader, Star Wars and Lando are the best of what's on offer so far. Kanan was good but I found Leia disappointing.

frye

That Valiant bundle gets you started, but as a person who initially started out like "wtf is going on here", it's pretty confusing when there are blatant gaps in the collection. Maybe they're in the bonuses, but as it stands, people would need some guidance if they buy this bundle.

That said, it's still a fantastic value.

It looks to me (as someone who's read some Valiant but not gone through the main stuff) as if you get the most of the core beginning (sans Bloodshot?) and then it skips to the recent titles. Is that right or am i totally off base

It looks to me (as someone who's read some Valiant but not gone through the main stuff) as if you get the most of the core beginning (sans Bloodshot?) and then it skips to the recent titles. Is that right or am i totally off base

That seems pretty spot-on, actually. But like you said, it gets you started.

It does include the entire Armor Hunters event, which is great. One of the best events ever.

Only 1 issue of The Valiant though. How torturous lol

The missing volumes/books are expected to be added in the 2nd Valiant bundle.
These are DRM-free files so they'd be PDF or CBR files I believe.

Actually, this makes more sense. In that case, I highly recommend everyone buy this one.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Ugh. What a bad shopping experience. The guy working just seemed super annoyed that I had the gall to be in his shop. And I only asked him like two or three questions the whole time I was there and he seemed so annoyed that I would ask him questions that I felt like I needed to apologize to him for bothering him each time I asked something.
Almost everything was in the back rather than on the floor, so since I didn't know what I wanted and the guy had no interest in helping me find something cool even though I made it clear that I just wanted to buy something, I just ended up getting this Manute (from Sin City) figure for $3 because why not.

ReAxion

Ugh. What a bad shopping experience. The guy working just seemed super annoyed that I had the gall to be in his shop. And I only asked him like two or three questions the whole time I was there and he seemed so annoyed that I would ask him questions that I felt like I needed to apologize to him for bothering him each time I asked something.
Almost everything was in the back rather than on the floor, so since I didn't know what I wanted and the guy had no interest in helping me find something cool even though I made it clear that I just wanted to buy something, I just ended up getting this Manute (from Sin City) figure for $3 because why not.

awww :(

Hagi

Anyone heard about that new Guardians Infinity comics Marvel just announced? sounds cool.

Hmm I'd get that Valiant bundle but it does seem a bit haphazard. There's going to be another one seemingly to fill in the missing issues?

This reminds me how just last night I was going through to separate the read and unread parts of my collection and noted that I really should get going on the Valiant hardcovers I got, like, a month ago. You know what, I don't have plans this weekend so I'll do those. Well, some of those. The main issue is that the second Harbinger hardcover isn't out yet so the line of:

Harbinger 15-25, Harbinger: Faith 0, Harbinger: Bleeding Monk 0

on the reading order is a slight problem. The listed bundle doesn't help either. ;_;

Anyone heard about that new Guardians Infinity comics Marvel just announced? sounds cool.

Hmm I'd get that Valiant bundle but it does seem a bit haphazard. There's going to be another one seemingly to fill in the missing issues?

I'd put money that there will be another bundle. Note how this is #1.

This reminds me how just last night I was going through to separate the read and unread parts of my collection and noted that I really should get going on the Valiant hardcovers I got, like, a month ago. You know what, I don't have plans this weekend so I'll do those. Well, some of those. The main issue is that the second Harbinger hardcover isn't out yet so the line of:

Harbinger 15-25, Harbinger: Faith 0, Harbinger: Bleeding Monk 0

on the reading order is a slight problem. The listed bundle doesn't help either. ;_;

Yeah, it looks like they had some trouble producing tpbs and OHCs lately, so some of those dates have been pushed back a bit. However, I would wager 2 months is going to be the max they are pushed back.

Also, I'm certain there will be another bundle after this one, though exactly when I'm not sure

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Oh well. I'll go back if I'm ever looking for something specific. They seemed like the place to go when you know what you want, since they did have a decent amount of inventory. It's just an awful store to browse.

In fairness though, I'm pretty pleased with this Manute figure for $3:

Only weird thing is that it has literally zero articulation below the waist. Lol.

I'd put money that there will be another bundle. Note how this is #1.

Yeah, it looks like they had some trouble producing tpbs and OHCs lately, so some of those dates have been pushed back a bit. However, I would wager 2 months is going to be the max they are pushed back.

Also, I'm certain there will be another bundle after this one, though exactly when I'm not sure

That's all well and good, but how do I handle reading everything in the Armor Hunters hardcover? How important are those Harbinger issues? Do I just need to double dip or wait until the hardcover comes out? :/

That's all well and good, but how do I handle reading everything in the Armor Hunters hardcover? How important are those Harbinger issues? Do I just need to double dip or wait until the hardcover comes out? :/

I haven't read the Harbinger tie-in for Armor Hunters, but Valiant likes to make everything self-contained. You'll be safe reading it on its own.

If you want the complete picture for Armor Hunters, though, you'll need more than just Harbinger. You need that Unity ohc due out in October, though those issues are included in this bundle.

What do you mean by double-dip?

ReAxion

Oh well. I'll go back if I'm ever looking for something specific. They seemed like the place to go when you know what you want, since they did have a decent amount of inventory. It's just an awful store to browse.

In fairness though, I'm pretty pleased with this Manute figure for $3:

Only weird thing is that it has literally zero articulation below the waist. Lol.

They circulate the inventory every couple months, and they open the warehouse on FCBD so you can see like everything.

Still, sorry to hear that. I can see how he comes off that way, even when he's excited he seems a little down about it. Haha.

I thought Batman Eternal was pretty bland from what I read but I think I'll give Batman & Robin Eternal a chance since Dick is featured prominently.

What did I miss? Why is Messi now bizarro Zombeen? Is that Nebula on that Guardians of Infinite cover? What am I doing here?

I thought Batman Eternal was pretty bland from what I read but I think I'll give Batman & Robin Eternal a chance since Dick is featured prominently.

It was pretty good at the beginning. It lost me around the time Batwing went to Arkham. Because seriously, fuck Batwing.

I haven't read the Harbinger tie-in for Armor Hunters, but Valiant likes to make everything self-contained. You'll be safe reading it on its own.

If you want the complete picture for Armor Hunters, though, you'll need more than just Harbinger. You need that Unity ohc due out in October, though those issues are included in this bundle.

What do you mean by double-dip?

I'd mean getting the missing Harbinger issues. Unity isn't an issue given the bundle (And the other hardcovers mostly deal with it already). I don't see much need for the Unity OHC given that between the Armor Hunters hardcover and the second Executive Officer Mango Ward hardcover you have half of Unity in oversized form already.

Top Bottom