• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
It's prob my favorite show I watch. I only have one episode left of season 3 so I am essentially caught up. I just hope no nasty shit happens to my favs in the last episode. But I am scared
Alex and Poussey

I like most of the characters even as the show has gotten more out there as the seasons have gone on. I love the new people they added this season. Doggetts story this season
is :( all that rape :(. That actress did a really great job this season actually. I didn't like her before this season

I liked it a lot this season too. Some people seemed to think that the lack of a central villain took away from the show. But I like the characters so much that I'm perfectly happy to watch them get up to shenanigans for a while. Poussey's my favorite too. I was so worried about her in season 2.

Messi

I liked it a lot this season too. Some people seemed to think that the lack of a central villain took away from the show. But I like the characters so much that I'm perfectly happy to watch them get up to shenanigans for a while. Poussey's my favorite too. I was so worried about her in season 2.

I feel the same. If they went for another villian I think it might get stale for me, glad they didn't go that route. I am happy to watch the characters mill around and do random shit lol. I am still not entirely convinced that
V is dead.

tumblr_inline_movwg01n0Z1qz4rgp.gif

I warned...

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Saga 1-6 and The Wicked + The Divine 1-5 are now mine.

EDit: Also I just met Terra. Let's see if she lives up to the hype. :)

PsychBat!

Banned
Yep. It turns out that I'm not good at titles. This is probably the seventh different one that I've gotten wrong during my time in ComicGaf.

But, yes. Black Mirror the comic arc and the British TV show are both awesome.
What about The Avengers british TV show?
And the 90s movie adaptation?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Revisiting the first X-Men movie was rough. :|

Atleast you can cop that up to the realities of where superhero movies were in the hollywood landscape, selling the movie as a sci-fi film as opposed to a comics angle, the budget etc. And there is still plenty of good stuff there.

Very difficult to do the same when you look back at Burton's Batman. There is some genuinely awful stuff you become aware of when you look back. That was a rude awakening.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Burton Batman was great

Yeah man, Bruce having a one-night stand with Vicki Vale, her waking up to see him literally hanging upside down like a bat in the middle of the night, never bringing it up again. Then having him lie to her so that she won't hang around, Alfred being a dumbshit and blowing Bruce's cover pretty much right away. Alfred then hounding Bruce that he should totally tell Vicki everything and be with her forever. Again, after they fucked once drunkenly after one date... Bruce showing up at her apartment an hour later into the movie, telling her to shut up because he wants to tell her he's Batman (again... after one date) but is then interrupted by the Joker dropping off... a spring-loaded statue-hand holding roses? Then Alfred LETTING VICKI INTO THE BATCAVE where she begins talking about if her and Bruce are going to "try and love eachother" after they slept with eachother once after one date!

Or Batman Returns where Batman shows up for the first action scene, and we literally don't see either Bruce or Batman for another 30 fucking minutes. Then Catwoman becomes Catwoman because cats nibbled on her corpse (?) and she has her hilarious freak out in her bedroom. Penguin has like half a dozen stupidly concocted plans that any mildly competent police force should be able to see through in a second. Gotham for the most part taking place on the fakest looking "street" set you can imagine on a sound stage. Selina having the most amazingly pointless "acting" moment in-front of Shrek and Wayne where she talks about nothing for three minutes, and Bruce's immediate reaction is "I NEED TO FUCK HER SO BAD." And in the end, a whole lot of the plot has nothing to do with Batman, and which he really has very little effect on.

oh, and the obligatory:

FRYcPz.gif

Yeah... great movies.

Tizoc

Applicable to anything on Amazon's UK site. You get £10 off when you spend £50 or more with the code BIGTHANKS. They won the best retailer in the UK award apparently.

T.T seems I missed out on the promo as when I enter the code it tells me it expired.

Yeah man, Bruce having a one-night stand with Vicki Vale, her waking up to see him literally hanging upside down like a bat in the middle of the night, never bringing it up again. Then having him lie to her so that she won't hang around, Alfred being a dumbshit and blowing Bruce's cover pretty much right away. Alfred then hounding Bruce that he should totally tell Vicki everything and be with her forever. Again, after they fucked once drunkenly after one date... Bruce showing up at her apartment an hour later into the movie, telling her to shut up because he wants to tell her he's Batman (again... after one date) but is then interrupted by the Joker dropping off... a spring-loaded statue-hand holding roses? Then Alfred LETTING VICKI INTO THE BATCAVE where she begins talking about if her and Bruce are going to "try and love eachother" after they slept with eachother once after one date!

Or Batman Returns where Batman shows up for the first action scene, and we literally don't see either Bruce or Batman for another 30 fucking minutes. Then Catwoman becomes Catwoman because cats nibbled on her corpse (?) and she has her hilarious freak out in her bedroom. Penguin has like half a dozen stupidly concocted plans that any mildly competent police force should be able to see through in a second. Gotham for the most part taking place on the fakest looking "street" set you can imagine on a sound stage. Selina having the most amazingly pointless "acting" moment in-front of Shrek and Wayne where she talks about nothing for three minutes, and Bruce's immediate reaction is "I NEED TO FUCK HER SO BAD." And in the end, a whole lot of the plot has nothing to do with Batman, and really has has very little effect on.

Yeah... great movies.

Wont lie, your description of the films made me respect them even more.

Also, only fair that Alfred lets Vicky get into the batcave after she let Bruce get into her batcave

Plus Alfred being all "BREED, GOD DAMN YOU, I WANT GRANDCHILDREN ALREADY" is, like, super canonical.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Or Batman Returns where Batman shows up for the first action scene, and we literally don't see either Bruce or Batman for another 30 fucking minutes. Then Catwoman becomes Catwoman because cats nibbled on her corpse (?) and she has her hilarious freak out in her bedroom. Penguin has like half a dozen stupidly concocted plans that any mildly competent police force should be able to see through in a second. Gotham for the most part taking place on the fakest looking "street" set you can imagine on a sound stage. Selina having the most amazingly pointless "acting" moment in-front of Shrek and Wayne where she talks about nothing for three minutes, and Bruce's immediate reaction is "I NEED TO FUCK HER SO BAD." And in the end, a whole lot of the plot has nothing to do with Batman, and which he really has very little effect on.

oh, and the obligatory:

FRYcPz.gif

Yeah... great movies.

Tonal much nearer on what Batman (and, almost more important: Gotham) is than everything that came later.

Nolans Batman are fucking great movies, but Burtons Batman are fantastic Comicbook movies. Like The Dark Knight is maybe the best movie based on a comicbook, but Avengers is the best comicbook movie. You know what I mean?

Tonal much nearer on what Batman (and, almost more important: Gotham) is than everything that came later.

Nolans Batman are fucking great movies, but Burtons Batman are fantastic Comicbook movies. Like The Dark Knight is maybe the best movie based on a comicbook, but Avengers is the best comicbook movie. You know what I mean?

I felt Batman Begins came pretty close to the tone of the comics. Gotham looked the best it ever has on film in my opinion. I loved the rail line and the narrows. It's a shame Nolan moved away from that so much in TDK and the TDKR.

I feel exactly the same on TDK and the Avengers.

Kurtofan

oh, and the obligatory:

FRYcPz.gif

Yeah... great movies.

I see a lot of nitpicking.

Shaanyboi

Banned

We already have a thread for this, but atleast Batman Begins came far closer to what we'd consider modern Batman stories than Burton did. Burton seemed to have feigning interest in Bruce at best. Beyond some fantastic matte paintings, I don't see how Burton "got" Gotham either. Atleast in the first movie, all of Gotham we see is a couple of gangsters who disappear after like... two scenes. One crooked cop who dies in 15 minutes. And acouple scenes with Billy Dee Williams arguing with the mayor about "gee, we sure are in a pickle... so about that parade..." That's more or less it.

And I think the distinction of "comicbook movie" is grossly underselling the medium. Firstly because... like... what does that even mean? Comics are a highly diverse art form and take all shapes. And even if you mean it's a great "superhero movie", I would again say that's incredibly inaccurate of a description of a film that has so little interest in its hero and whom plays so little a part in his own movies. I can see the distinction between Batman Begins being a better Batman movie but Dark Knight being a better crime film (basically 'What if Batman was in Heat'?). But beyond its cultural significance, I don't see much value in the Burton movies anymore beyond some interesting production design.

Wont lie, your description of the films made me respect them even more.

Also, only fair that Alfred lets Vicky get into the batcave after she let Bruce get into her batcave

Plus Alfred being all "BREED, GOD DAMN YOU, I WANT GRANDCHILDREN ALREADY" is, like, super canonical.

Sure, with like.... Catwoman who he had a thing with forever and eventually finally revealed his identity to after seeing how Clark and Lois were together, thinking of Selina as kind of a kindred spirit.

Or Jezebel Jet who atleast figured it out after a little while, and immediately began to question his sanity and methods.

But not like any random woman who he sleeps with once.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Dude, if you look like Michael Keaton and you manage to tap Kim Basinger, you better have something good to lock her down.

Plus, her first and last name have matching consonants. That's A Big Deal.

lol hmmm you may have something there

You know..mistletoe can be deadly if you eat it

Am I remembering this right, or does that line literally only exist so they can have their "a-ha!" moment later on? Like... there is no natural lead-in to him mentioning that.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
We already have a thread for this, but atleast Batman Begins came far closer to what we'd consider modern Batman stories than Burton did. Burton seemed to have feigning interest in Bruce at best. Beyond some fantastic matte paintings, I don't see how Burton "got" Gotham either. Atleast in the first movie, all of Gotham we see is a couple of gangsters who disappear after like... two scenes. One crooked cop who dies in 15 minutes. And acouple scenes with Billy Dee Williams arguing with the mayor about "gee, we sure are in a pickle... so about that parade..." That's more or less it.
You see Gotham all the times. The big statues. The Gargoyles. The Art Deco.
At least its consistent, not like in Nolan Movies, where Gothams looks like generic american city A in Batma Begins, like generic american city B in The Dark Knight und generic american city C in The Dark Knight Rises.

Burtons Style is the to go style for everyone who adapts Batman. Gothams looks very similar to Burton Gotham in BTAS, even the Arkham Games look more like Burtons Gotham then anything.

And I think the distinction of "comicbook movie" is grossly underselling the medium. Firstly because... like... what does that even mean? Comics are a highly diverse art form and take all shapes. And even if you mean it's a great "superhero movie", I would again say that's incredibly inaccurate of a description of a movie that has so little interest in its hero and whom plays so little a part in his own movies. I can see the distinction between Batman Begins being a better Batman movie but Dark Knight being a better crime film (basically 'What if Batman was in Heat'?). But beyond its cultural significance, I don't see much value in the Burton movies anymore beyond some interesting production design.
The Avengers feelt like a comicbook brought to the big screen. It didnt tried to hide his origins like Nolan did. "Buhuuu, we cant do this, its to comicbook like.
The Dark Knight, while beeing and insanely good movie, wants to be a movie, and you feel this while watching. Nothing wrong with this - it worked.
Also, I dont think that Nolans movies are that that cultural significant either, why should they?
I dont think that people will look back in 30 years and say "Man, do you remember, TDK?"

I don't know. If I'm putting in a batman movie to watch, its probably going to be Returns or the 66 movie. I get people hate Returns for a Batman movie but its a n awesome Tim Burton movie and I'm used to alternate elseworld things so whatever.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I don't know. If I'm putting in a batman movie to watch, its probably going to be Returns or the 66 movie. I get people hate Returns for a Batman movie but its a n awesome Tim Burton movie and I'm used to alternate elseworld things so whatever.

Best Catwoman ever :D She steals everyone the show.

Tizoc

It expired at midnight!

I prefer Nolan's films to Burton's but they still have a charm to them. Even if they do abandon a lot of what makes Batman Batman.

I was on Night shift at the time and it likely expired by the time i GOT home :(
Ah well Amazon UK had some games I wanted that was cheap so no major loss :p

So I think I may like Y The Last Man more than Saga. Am I crazy or is this just something no one ever talks about because it's accepted fact?

Y the Last Man was Vaughn's best series before Saga. Personally they're tied imho.

My main problem is I probably wouldn't be able to tell you why I prefer it. I think Saga, with its art and all these crazy ideas Vaughan has implemented, would be the better creative experience. Yet, I don't feel the same sense of urgency reading it as I do Y.

Shaanyboi

Banned
You see Gotham all the times. The big statues. The Gargoyles. The Art Deco.
At least its consistent, not like in Nolan Movies, where Gothams looks like generic american city A in Batma Begins, like generic american city B in The Dark Knight und generic american city C in The Dark Knight Rises.

Burtons Style is the to go style for everyone who adapts Batman. Gothams looks very similar to Burton Gotham in BTAS, even the Arkham Games look more like Burtons Gotham then anything.

The Avengers feelt like a comicbook brought to the big screen. It didnt tried to hide his origins like Nolan did. "Buhuuu, we cant do this, its to comicbook like.
The Dark Knight, while beeing and insanely good movie, wants to be a movie, and you feel this while watching. Nothing wrong with this - it worked.
Also, I dont think that Nolans movies are that that cultural significant either, why should they?
I dont think that people will look back in 30 years and say "Man, do you remember, TDK?"
Firstly, as far as Gotham's appearance goes, no one is doubting the great production design in the Burton movies (or atleast mostly the first one... the second one has some... problems), but there's more to what makes that city what it is beyond its architectural design. I'd say Nolan pretty much captured the Year One aesthetic pretty perfectly.

Gotham is rustic, it's aged, and more importantly, it's broken. And this brings me to my main point - Gotham is a character in Begins. Arguably moreso in Dark Knight even. Its population is at odds with itself in what it wants and what it needs. It's corrupted on every level. We see people in the street, we see their reaction to Batman, we see just how hopeless of a battle it is for the people who are trying to fight without a mask. Burton pretty much ignores this entirely.

As far as others adapting a look, the Arkham games have pretty much cribbed from everything. You see the comic influence, you see the movie influence. Hell, you can see Schumacher influence. In comics, every artist draws Gotham differently, there isn't one go-to. Again, influences pulled from everywhere all at once.

And in terms of "comic book feel", Begins sure as hell felt like a Batman comic. Or atleast Year One. Hell, if anything it was more fantastical than Year One ever was. The only thing it skirted around was the Lazarus Pits. I don't know why you're even comparing Avengers to this - generally speaking, Avengers comics and Batman comics feel nothing alike. Avengers felt like Avengers. Batman felt like Batman.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Its the example I always use when I differ betwen Comicbook Movies and Movies based on Comicbooks.
We could use Burton Batman movies in exchange for Avengers.

My main problem is I probably wouldn't be able to tell you why I prefer it. I think Saga, with its art and all these crazy ideas Vaughan has implemented, would be the better creative experience. Yet, I don't feel the same sense of urgency reading it as I do Y.
I vastly prefer BKV's writing on Y but Staples artwork is way above Guerras imo

Shaanyboi

Banned
Its the example I always use when I differ betwen Comicbook Movies and Movies based on Comicbooks.
We could use Burton Batman movies in exchange for Avengers.

Again, comics is a really broad medium. Hell if someone were to adapt Matt Fraction's Hawkeye to a Netflix series or even a movie, it wouldn't feel "comicbooky" like Iron Man 3 or Guardians or Thor or Avengers... What is so tonally different from the Daredevil series to Batman Begins beyond DD being notably bloodier?

Both the Burton movies and Nolan movies can be called accurate reflections of the Batman comics in one way or another. Only difference is Nolan had an interest in the main character, the themes, and the setting, whereas Burton had some good production designers but largely just liked the look of the villains and went "look how weird these guys are?" whilst ignoring Batman almost entirely.

I vastly prefer BKV's writing on Y but Staples artwork is way above Guerras imo

Yeah, really agree with Staples' art being just being way better.

I'll see how I feel about it as I keep reading. I mostly cracked open the first Y book yesterday to see if I should throw the second one into an IST order, but I got hooked almost instantly.

Fiona Staples has Jae Lee's "What's a background?????" problem.
There's like a complete universal love and praise for her work. And yeah she's an amazing artist but she doesn't bring it every page. I think there's a lot of charm to her work that makes people will overlook the flaws in her work.

s3 was leagues better than S2 exactly for this reason. Save the faux drama for lesser shows. I am perfectly fine with very little happening on this brilliant show forever.

Season 1 was the only season I enjoyed to be honest. I think the show started losing focus once it moved away from Piper.

I realized that feels like a pretty obvious statement to make, but Piper was supposed to be our anchor to the prison world and there was a disconnect when they started trying to force conflicts just to give the other characters screen time.

Season 1 was the only season I enjoyed to be honest. I think the show started losing focus once it moved away from Piper.

I realized that feels like a pretty obvious statement to make, but Piper was supposed to be our anchor to the prison world and there was a disconnect when they started trying to force conflicts just to give the other characters screen time.
Piper sucks tho. I'd be happy if she doesn't appear in the next season at all and they just don't bother explaining it.

"Hey, wasn't Jim Gordon in Gotham Central? Should we maybe put --"
"Go back to sleep, Comixology. Shushhhhh."

I guess being effectively a prop for part of a single issue counts as having been in it, sure.
Also, good luck to anyone trying to read No Man's Land as singles without a super solid reading order guide.

I never understood this. She may be unlikable, but that doesn't make her a bad character.
I think she's the least interesting character on that show by far. Her character growth is stagnant af. I think she's basically played out as the character that introduces us into the world. Her slide into being an openly selfish brat isn't compelling because it isn't done well. So that's the way I feel about it. You're more than free to disagree with it. My love for the other characters may cloud my judgement of Piper as a character.

Top Bottom