• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

More Willingham drama. He was moderating a panel at GenCon.

http://www.themarysue.com/dissenting-opinions-may-occur/

When someone pointed out that if the writing team lacked diversity it was more because of laziness, the moderator threatened to shut down the panel, then mocked the woman in the audience who called him out for repeatedly cutting off or speaking over both the women in the panel and in the audience. for the rest of the panel he proceeded to not only speak over others, but mockingly apologize for it as though he thought the whole thing was hilarious.

The more I read about him...

I've got 4 books of GC incoming and now I come to learn Gordon is barely in it? Burning that shit Kipp style.

Montoya > Gordon.

omgkitty

I kinda want to pick up The Black Mirror, but at $1 an issue, the trade is only a few bucks more. I hate when they insist on doing single issue sales when they have trades and could make it cheaper.

I've got 4 books of GC incoming and now I come to learn Gordon is barely in it? Burning that shit Kipp style.

It doesn't need Gordon. It's in the running for my favourite Gotham related book ever and I wish we could have another ongoing like it.

I kinda want to pick up The Black Mirror, but at $1 an issue, the trade is only a few bucks more. I hate when they insist on doing single issue sales when they have trades and could make it cheaper.

Right. Which I assume is the main reason why they don't do it that way.

I think she's the least interesting character on that show by far. Her character growth is stagnant af. I think she's basically played out as the character that introduces us into the world. Her slide into being an openly selfish brat isn't compelling because it isn't done well. So that's the way I feel about it. You're more than free to disagree with it. My love for the other characters may cloud my judgement of Piper as a character.

So this whole thing reminds me I did a write-up about how I felt about her character after watching the first season. It's kind of lengthy, but if you have the time, I think it expresses my views of what makes her interesting.

But, basically, however selfish she may have been when the series started, it was very much about seeing who Piper was as a person. She's actually a deceptively strong person, because while she does many things that blow up her relationships, she does it out of a need to survive in her new environment. Adaptation, to different degrees, is a huge part of the show after all - to the point where it's a base characteristic of the title. That hurting others is a characteristic of her personality is something that they should have explored the consequences of more thoroughly in the second and third seasons.

In season 2, they shifted gears completely, keeping her out of entire episodes to focus on other characters. This led to forced conflicts (Vee) to characters that were around to just be interesting and entertaining, but not necessarily compelling. They basically did away with a lot of what they spent time building in the first season and that left a really bitter taste in my mouth.

More Willingham drama. He was moderating a panel at GenCon.

http://www.themarysue.com/dissenting-opinions-may-occur/

The more I read about him...
Theres a fables farewell party at my lcs. Kinda tempted to go to see the man in action myself. He used to be from around here too. Matt Sturges as well. Ive had a chance to talk to Sturges a couple times and he didn't seem that way.

Edit: Jim Zub always comes off as a really cool dude. I'd love to meet him
So this whole thing reminds me I did a write-up about how I felt about her character after watching the first season. It's kind of lengthy, but if you have the time, I think it expresses my views of what makes her interesting.

But, basically, however selfish she may have been when the series started, it was very much about seeing who Piper was as a person. She's actually a deceptively strong person, because while she does many things that blow up her relationships, she does it out of a need to survive in her new environment. Adaptation, to different degrees, is a huge part of the show after all - to the point where it's a base characteristic of the title. That hurting others is a characteristic of her personality is something that they should have explored the consequences of more thoroughly in the second and third seasons.

In season 2, they shifted gears completely, keeping her out of entire episodes to focus on other characters. This led to forced conflicts (Vee) to characters that were around to just be interesting and entertaining, but not necessarily compelling. They basically did away with a lot of what they spent time building in the first season and that left a really bitter taste in my mouth.
Ill read your linked piece in a bit. I think OITNB shines when it gives voice and a time to characters rarely explored in other media. Piper does really fit that imo. She's just kind of a shitty selfish person. The whole Vee thing was not a good part of season 2 either. She only seemed to find success when other characters made dumb decisions, which in defense, happens plenty in real life.

Squire

Banned

No collection options at all is what I can't stand.

Alias for $2 a piece at 28 issues, like Marvel, really breh?

Ill read your linked piece in a bit. I think OITNB shines when it gives voice and a time to characters rarely explored in other media. Piper does really fit that imo. She's just kind of a shitty selfish person. The whole Vee thing was not a good part of season 2 either. She only seemed to find success when other characters made dumb decisions, which in defense, happens plenty in real life.

While I agree with what you're saying in principle, I would have to argue that portraying a privileged white woman like Piper with such irreverence isn't something you commonly see on television either. And while in theory, the idea of portraying infringed archetypes with more focus is a great idea, the characters that Orange chooses to do that with don't have nearly as much substance as the main character does. They were fun when they were in the periphery, but there wasn't much to work with when they were pulled to the forefront.

Vyer

As far as OitNB goes, I haven't seen S3 yet, but I enjoyed the way S2 was handled. Piper's kind of hit a point where I don't know that focusing on her is really the most entertaining option. There's only so much you can say about her selfish side at this point, at least until that character evolves further. Which, depending on how long the series goes, isn't necessarily something they should be in a rush to do. I find the other prisoners just as interesting for the most part and really liked some of those story arcs.

Might feel differently after S3, but I've really like it so far.

Again, comics is a really broad medium. Hell if someone were to adapt Matt Fraction's Hawkeye to a Netflix series or even a movie, it wouldn't feel "comicbooky" like Iron Man 3 or Guardians or Thor or Avengers... What is so tonally different from the Daredevil series to Batman Begins beyond DD being notably bloodier?

Both the Burton movies and Nolan movies can be called accurate reflections of the Batman comics in one way or another. Only difference is Nolan had an interest in the main character, the themes, and the setting, whereas Burton had some good production designers but largely just liked the look of the villains and went "look how weird these guys are?" whilst ignoring Batman almost entirely.

Film is also a very broad medium. I think there's room for both approaches and both have their merits. I also think Burton Bats hasn't aged well, but I don't agree that there isn't an interest in Batman in those movies. Particularly the first one. considering you have Jack freakin Nicholson as the Joker on one side I've always found the attempt (at least) to balance out the two to be one of the films strong suits. Even if the implementation is lacking.

And, let's be honest here...reaching a plateau for expanding the Bruce Wayne/Batman character and finding more interest in the villains kind of has its roots in the comics too.

I appreciate Burton Bats for what it is, it was entertaining at the time, and helped to establish how much of an impact comic book/superhero movies could have in blockbuster films. It's hardly my favorite Batman movie for sure, but I still very much consider it to be one.

Fiona Staples has Jae Lee's "What's a background?????" problem.

This is too true, I love me some Jae Lee art.
I just reread The Dark Tower.. and fawk there were a few times I was wondering where the rest of the art was.

That Batman / Superman Annual #1 (if im remembering right) actually had a lot of good background art, I believe it was in Gotham City

Owzers

Gamescom Xbox conference is over......there is little chance i'm buying an Xbox One this year. Scalebound is coming Holiday 2016 so that looks like another chance to get me to buy the system but it's a whillllllle away.

Gamefly is sending me that Justice League Gods and Harleys movie though, so that's something.

Rise of the Tomb Raider also looked like a less interesting Last of Us in the demo, stealth kills, throwing bottles while working around cover, then just shooting people. I still presume that's the minority of the game, but they spent almost all the time on it.

ReAxion

Yea. Me too. On iOS. If you double tap home and swipe it you don't have to re log in.

That didn't work for me. Restarting my iPad worked once but now it's doing it again. Not happening on my iPhone.

Is it really? I only read the first issue but I didn't even notice Greg Land was the artist.

Yeah. Maybe he's restrained himself (lol)? Ruby looks like a gymnast with lumps on the cover of #3.

Saga 1-6 and The Wicked + The Divine 1-5 are now mine.

EDit: Also I just met Terra. Let's see if she lives up to the hype. :)

Welcome
wGU8pV7.gif

Gamescom Xbox conference is over......there is little chance i'm buying an Xbox One this year. Scalebound is coming Holiday 2016 so that looks like another chance to get me to buy the system but it's a whillllllle away.

Gamefly is sending me that Justice League Gods and Harleys movie though, so that's something.

Rise of the Tomb Raider also looked like a less interesting Last of Us in the demo, stealth kills, throwing bottles while working around cover, then just shooting people. I still presume that's the minority of the game, but they spent almost all the time on it.

halo wars 2, son. not to mention crackton, the god returning.
my ps4 being a extra nightfalls destiny machine looks to continue into the next year (at least when it gets here in september with the ill destiny recoat lol)

Owzers

I doubt it. I've never owned two systems in the same generation.

this is the first time i haven't owned all of them after the first year or two. Feels good, oddly. Microsoft really angered me during that whole no used games/rentals period and the pr around it. Then i lost interest in Gears/Halo and they killed my Fables series which wasn't that great anyways, killed Rare until recently.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I will buy a Xbox One at the point the systems goes on sale for 200€ with Halo 5.

Will be most likely this winter, nobody whats one here in germany.

Vyer

I have owned all systems for the past few generations, and I expect that will continue. PS4 just happens to be the least interesting to me this gen, so it's last, but I still very much want to own one.

I do find the negativity over on gaming side when it comes to MS a little bit ridiculous though. GAF definitely has a vocal, active Sony community.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
this actually a temporary thing. About the time Sony wanted to destroy their good legacy with the 3, it was exactly the opposite

I have owned all systems for the past few generations, and I expect that will continue. PS4 just happens to be the least interesting to me this gen, so it's last, but I still very much want to own one.

I do find the negativity over on gaming side when it comes to MS a little bit ridiculous though. GAF definitely has a vocal, active Sony community.
The tide turned because of their arrogance at the start of this gen. It was the same with Sony and the PS3 as Gameproff said.

ReAxion

*whispers* ᵖᶜ ᵍᵃᵐᶦᶰᵍ ᵐᵃˢᵗᵉʳ ʳᵃᶜᵉ

Vyer

this actually a temporary thing. About the time Sony wanted to destroy their good legacy with the 3, it was exactly the opposite

The tide turned because of their arrogance at the start of this gen. It was the same with Sony and the PS3 as Gameproff said.

the community has always been there, it's just they had different things to react to. It's why things were so crazy back then, nobody handled what Sony was doing at the beginning of that gen well.

Admittedly, then and now, it can make for some entertaining threads at times.

Messi

I bought the Bendis OHC for Guardians. I know you guys don't like his Guardians but I do. I love the artists he gets for his books.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
lol definitely 200jimjam price drop this winter because of germany
You know, Amazon Germany can drop prices without waiting for an official announcement? ;)
They did a few weeks ago, when you had a high gamescore, you could generate a voucer and save 180€... So th system was around 180€ + a game.

lol 2005 ProSonents make 2015 ProSonents look like door to door mormons.

Back then, owning a 360 on GAF was like having ebola in a bowling alley.

Messi

I bought the McNiven cover as I despise movie poster covers but I have a question. In the bottom of the cover is says 'McN after FM, Jell13,JPO'. Is the Rocket cover a homage?

This is the cover art

Tizoc

I bought the McNiven cover as I despise movie poster covers but I have a question. In the bottom of the cover is says 'McN after FM, Jell13,JPO'. Is the Rocket cover a homage?

This is the cover art

Yup it's an homage.

Top Bottom