• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

frye

I bought the McNiven cover as I despise movie poster covers but I have a question. In the bottom of the cover is says 'McN after FM, Jell13,JPO'. Is the Rocket cover a homage?

This is the cover art

The reference is a pretty famous Frank Miller (FM) Wolverine cover. JPO I'm guessing is Justin Ponsor (the colourist) and Jell13 (i dunno who that is) is probably the inker.

Small price to pay for Paradox games.

The true price for paradox games is the font size.

I bought the McNiven cover as I despise movie poster covers but I have a question. In the bottom of the cover is says 'McN after FM, Jell13,JPO'. Is the Rocket cover a homage?
Wolverine_(vol._1)_1.jpg

Vyer

i have a stomach bug so I'm not going to work. Guess Imma have to read some comics.

Nobody likes PC gamers D:

PC gaming is pretty awesome though.
when it works

lol 2005 ProSonents make 2015 ProSonents look like door to door mormons.

Back then, owning a 360 on GAF was like having ebola in a bowling alley.

heh. i don't remember how bad it was exactly, but like I said I do remember some entertaining threads at least.

frye

I bought Mark Miller 616 Fantastic Four, did I fuck up?

boring af

Can anyone tell me some good Emma Frost stories?

The self titled Emma Frost series is collected in an Ultimate Collection. Be warned: it has one of the least appropriate/worst covers in the world but the actual comics are pretty good. They're aimed at teenage girls but I think you'd like it. Other ones that aren't really focused only on her but are p good: Generation X or the Morrison-written New X-Men series.

Messi

Actual solo mini-series or just good character focused arcs in their team books?

Either or. I just want stories that represent the characters well.

boring af

The self titled Emma Frost series is collected in an Ultimate Collection. Be warned: it has one of the least appropriate/worst covers in the world but the actual comics are pretty good. They're aimed at teenage girls but I think you'd like it. Other ones that aren't really focused only on her but are p good: Generation X or the Morrison-written New X-Men series.

I see what you did there...

Wow this front and back couldn't be further apart in tone lol

002123de_medium.jpeg

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Reading the Doctor Strange 2009 arc now and I'm feeling kind of weird about Strange
being powerless. I hope he gets his groove back!

Sou Da

Either or. I just want stories that represent the characters well.

I see what you did there...

Wow this front and back couldn't be further apart in tone lol

002123de_medium.jpeg

boring af

I'd second New X-Men as a good Emma series.

frye

I wasn't saying it as a negative. Most of my favorite comics are ones that are aimed at teenage girls

ah sorry mate, I thought you thought I was razzing you!

It's there to let you know "I have a crotch, too. Not just breasts." #characterdepth

yeah I have no idea who approved those awful Greg Horn covers for these comics because they misrepresent the contents to both the intended audience and people who would buy them based on those covers

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Everytime I see a page or panel from Killing Joke, my brain cant process that it is 27 years old. Looks so modern, unlike any other book from that time period.

I hope they adapt it to a movie at some point.

Everytime I see a page or panel from Killing Joke, my brain cant process that it is 27 years old. Looks so modern, unlike any other book from that time period.

I hope they adapt it to a movie at some point.

The panel you posted is from the more recent deluxe edition isn't it? That's the one I own. They touched up a few bits but dulled the colour palette so that might have made it look more modern.

Also Rogue if possible. Was this book good?

It is being re released soon as a complete collection

Claremont stuff in Uncanny Xmen..maybe Xtreme Xmen also...or Mike Carey Xmen/Xmen Legacy. I have that mini but I dont remember it. Theres another Rogue mini with Wieringo art but it had some Gambit garbage in it.

Boogiepop

I've been rocking the Nintendo/Sony combo for a while. Especially this gen, there's just not enough to differentiate Xbox and PS for me to want both, and honestly most of Microsoft's exclusives aren't my kind of thing.

Also, read the What If for Alias, and that was actually a nice little read, since it tied into the Perez/Busiek Avengers run. And since I had read the first omnibus of that earlier in the year, it made for a neat little tie-in.

ReAxion

Ostrander has an article about his thoughts on The Killing Joke and the upcoming animated movie. Pretty interesting.

http://www.comicmix.com/2015/08/02/john-ostrander-savaging-barbara-gordon/

The “why,” I think, is pretty obvious – the book made money, evidently continues to do well on the backlist, and the powers that be are presuming it will sell well as an animated feature. They are probably not wrong.

At the time that Batman: The Killing Joke was released, I was co-writing Suicide Squad with my late wife, Kimberly Yale. Don’t get me wrong; I was and I remain a big fan of both Alan Moore and Brian Bolland. Individually and together they have done stunning work. Moore is one of the giants of the comic book industry. He is, IMO, a better writer than I am and I don’t say that about many other writers (I have a very healthy ego and opinion of my own work, thank you very much). That doesn’t mean he can’t go wrong and I think that Batman: The Killing Joke went wrong.

The Bat office was done with Batgirl at that point. Barbara no longer fit into their plans. Kim and I asked if we could have her and we were told that. So we re-created her as Oracle. To us, it was important that the act have consequence. We didn’t want Barbara to magically recover. Given the violence she had endured, we felt she would be paralyzed from the waist down and in a wheelchair. However, we felt she could still be a hero.

The cover image for the article is great too.

Squire

Banned
well a) they were asked, b) what cause do you have for not taking what he says at face value?

you think there's an active agenda at keeping LGBT stories out of marvel now?

I think Tom Breevort is either an actual, huge asshole or just comes off like one and has no problem with it.

Which brings us back to him being an asshole.

ReAxion

I think Tom Breevort is either an actual, huge asshole or just comes off like one and has no problem with it.

then that makes that a commendable response. there's nothing assholish about it whatsoever.

Vibranium

Banned

I like that he answers stuff on his Formspring, Tom seems like a good guy even if you disagree with him on a bunch of things. He seems to be more open than Axel Alonso at least.

Going forward it would be nice if Marvel got a female EiC, we might be able to see more changes.

ElNarez

Banned
well a) they were asked, b) what cause do you have for not taking what he says at face value?

you think there's an active agenda at keeping LGBT stories out of marvel now?

I'm putting in serious doubt the idea that editorial is just "looking for the right story" because, especially in 2015 Marvel, they're calling a lot of the shots.

This whole thing reads like "whoops, we forgot about LGBT folks". At a certain point, if you want to be representative, you have the power to make it so, and you don't, I'm gonna call that shitty at best.

edit: also what the fuck is legitimacy in that context? what's a legitimate LGBT story?

ReAxion

I'm putting in serious doubt the idea that editorial is just "looking for the right story" because, especially in 2015 Marvel, they're calling a lot of the shots.

This whole thing reads like "whoops, we forgot about LGBT folks". At a certain point, if you want to be representative, you have the power to make it so, and you don't, I'm gonna call that shitty at best.

The alternative is opening themselves to charges of tokenism, so waiting for the right story is absolutely the right thing to be doing.

n52 joker still a perpetually ressurecting thing? cuz i've some bread to bake and some theories to work on if so.

Naa. He...err..I'll tag just incase
After infiltrating the batcave YEARS ago supposedly found a proto-lazarus pit in the tunnels, hundreds of metres below Gotham. As for the photos they were faked, but you could say that with Gotham City itself as a character...that multiple Jokers may have been created by the city throughout history.

Top Bottom