• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Biggish week for me:

Groot 3
Ms Marvel 17
The Spire 2
Infinity Guantlet 3
Wicked and Divine 13
Midnighter 3

Ultimate End 4 if I feel like something terrible.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I like that he answers stuff on his Formspring, Tom seems like a good guy even if you disagree with him on a bunch of things. He seems to be more open than Axel Alonso at least.

Going forward it would be nice if Marvel got a female EiC, we might be able to see more changes.
Tom really is one of the good ones, but he gets fast pissed of when he is attacked political.
Remember, we most likely dont see every question and I could imagine that there are very rude attacks when it comes to topics like this.
You all should have seen the rants he throw against nazis when Sam took over as Cap.

I assume he just wanted to say that writing a story about LBGT characters is better done by a LBGT writer but got annoyed.

Ostrander has an article about his thoughts on The Killing Joke and the upcoming animated movie. Pretty interesting.

http://www.comicmix.com/2015/08/02/john-ostrander-savaging-barbara-gordon/

The cover image for the article is great too.

Thats the thing. Everyone complains about the things they did to Babs, but still, I read all the time on websites like Mary Sue or DC Woman Kicks Ass what a iconic character Oracle is or was.

Mudcrab

That's not a drug trip.

This is a drug trip.

Botox and PCP!

BatmanAndRobin3007-08.jpg

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
List time? List time.

Civil War #2
Darth Vader #8
Infinity Gauntlet #3
Renew Your Vows #3

WE STAND ON GUARD #2
AGE OF APOCALYPSE #2
CIVIL WAR #2
GUARDIANS OF KNOWHERE #2
INFINITY GAUNTLET #3
RED SKULL #2
SIEGE #2

Midnighter and Wicked/Devine will go on my wishlist for now.

fauxtrot

Banned
Jesus Christ, New Avengers #23... I know I'm late to the party but GOD DAMN Hickman is running on cylinders I didn't even know he had. That countdown to
incursion then the post-incursion meeting when they're trying to figure out what went wrong and all of a sudden you get hit with Black Bolt asking "Where's Namor?" and you turn the page and get hit again with that perfectly executed Namor version of the Everything Dies callback, then you turn the page again and see who he's talking to... fuck man, that was magical.

I was sitting on the couch reading while my girlfriend was sewing and when turned the page and saw
Namor and his Cabal
, a huge grin came on my face as I shook my head and said "you mother fucker". I don't usually emote or physically react to my comics (aside from the occasional chuckle), so my girlfriend made fun of me for the rest of the night. Then I tried to explain to her what was happening in the comic and why I reacted the way I did... which made me look like an even bigger nerd.

"So there's this group of superheroes called the Illuminati, right, and they are trying to stop the world from ending because there's a multiverse, ok? And every multiverse has an Earth, but the Earths are smashing into each other in sort of a chain reaction due to one of the multiversal Earths being destroyed, but the Illuminati, they're good dudes, right, so they don't want to kill someone else's world but one of the Earths has to be destroyed or BOTH Earths and their respective universes get destroyed! So in the Illuminati, there is Namor, this underwater dude who doesn't look like a fish, he just looks like an Italian dude with pointy ears, but lives underwater in Atlantis, right, and then there's this other dude, T'Challa, the Black Panther, who used to be king of Wakanda, a super-high tech country in Africa, but now his sister is in charge, BUT he is the "king of the dead", so he has the power of all of the Black Panthers that came before him. OK so Namor and T'Challa hate each other but... are you still following me?"

This is pretty much exactly what I sounded like to her... so imagine that but through the lens of someone who can't even tell you whether Marvel or DC own Batman or Spider-Man.

Owzers

Speaking of the Lois statue, i kinda want that and have been seeing when Amazon will put it at a discount these last few days.

ReAxion

There is nothing wrong with my post then.

legitimate talent and the feeling of a story are two different things, so yes, there is.

Marvel can have white people writing black characters, but they can't have straight people writing LGBT characters. Sure.

What if the straight people don't feel they can accurately represent the LGBT perspective? Does editorial come down and say "no, you must write something you're not comfortable doing."

Thats the thing. Everyone complains about the things they did to Babs, but still, I read all the time on websites like Mary Sue or DC Woman Kicks Ass what a iconic character Oracle is or was.

Well, I think both are true. The stuff that happened to Babs was pretty fucking brutal and she was more a prop than a character. She was simply discarded as Batgirl. It's just that this lead her to be reborn as Oracle (Which remains the role I most identify Babs with by far) as a positive result out of a bad situation. And then DC went and undid all that with N52.

It's frustrating. When N52 started Babs had been Oracle for as many years as she had been Batgirl and it was that second half of her history where she had really come into her own. Less than 3 years passed between the end of Crisis and her becoming Oracle, making Cass the longest serving post-Crisis Batgirl and with Steph honestly not that far behind Babs in time. But instead they dumped both and went back 23 years, wiping away a good bit of Babs' history as Oracle in the process including most (all?) of Birds of Prey. And...and...and...

Big week for me too

ASM Renew Your Vows 3
Civil War 2
Giant Sized Little Marvel 3
Groot 3
Guardians of Knowhere 2
Infinity Gauntlet 2
Ms Marvel 17
Red Skull 2
Siege 2
Ultimate End 4

This is pretty much exactly what I sounded like to her... so imagine that but through the lens of someone who can't even tell you whether Marvel or DC own Batman or Spider-Man.

So she's pretty much reconsidering the relationship at this point, yeah?

Get in there, JC.

legitimate talent and the feeling of a story are two different things, so yes, there is.

What if the straight people don't feel they can accurately represent the LGBT perspective? Does editorial come down and say "no, you must write something you're not comfortable doing."

"Gee, boss, I dunno if I can write this character. What's it like to be gay?"

"Well, Bob, you know how you feel about women?"

"Yeah?"

"This guy feels that way about men."

"Oooooh"

5 minute conversation, tops.

I know, I know, I'm vastly oversimplifying things, and I know that the LGBT experience is actually very different from what I've experienced, but unless you're planning on making the character's orientation a key part of their story it's also not really necessary. And if you are... then yeah, that's more complicated.

LosDaddie

Banned
Looks like the Onslaught omnibus got delayed. :-(

Seeing how it's a 90s crossover event, I imagine the story probably sucks, but when it came out back in the day was when I stopped reading comics. I never got to finish it....actually I stopped reading comics just as the build up to Onslaught was happening. So I was real happy when the omnibus got announced.

Oh well. My comic backlog doesn't need to get any bigger right now anyway. Waiting is no problem.

Looks like the Onslaught omnibus got delayed. :-(

Seeing how it's a 90s crossover event, I imagine the story probably sucks, but when it came out back in the day was when I stopped reading comics. I never got to finish it....actually I stopped reading comics just as the build up to Onslaught was happening. So I was real happy when the omnibus got announced.

Oh well. My comic backlog doesn't need to get any bigger right now anyway. Waiting is no problem.

I can't say anything good about Onslaught in general, but the climax issue is a guilty pleasure of mine.

ReAxion

"Gee, boss, I dunno if I can write this character. What's it like to be gay?"

"Well, Bob, you know how you feel about women?"

"Yeah?"

"This guy feels that way about men."

"Oooooh"

5 minute conversation, tops.

I know, I know, I'm vastly oversimplifying things, and I know that the LGBT experience is actually very different from what I've experienced, but unless you're planning on making the character's orientation a key part of their story it's also not really necessary. And if you are... then yeah, that's more complicated.

This is where the in 2015 applies most. In 2015, it's more than just a palette swap of orientation. They obviously deal with issues heterosexual people have never faced.

I was sitting on the couch reading while my girlfriend was sewing and when turned the page and saw
Namor and his Cabal
, a huge grin came on my face as I shook my head and said "you mother fucker". I don't usually emote or physically react to my comics (aside from the occasional chuckle), so my girlfriend made fun of me for the rest of the night. Then I tried to explain to her what was happening in the comic and why I reacted the way I did... which made me look like an even bigger nerd.

To be fair, that wasn't really Namor's doing. Dude went back to pick up another bomb and stop the incursion, obv, but then most likely walked in on Thanos, Corvus and the rest of the gang already freed by Madimus. Was most likely a "convince them or become tomato juice" scenario.

fauxtrot

Banned
To be fair, that wasn't really Namor's doing. Dude went back to pick up another bomb and stop the incursion, obv, but then most likely walked in on Thanos, Corvus and the rest of the gang already freed by Madimus. Was most likely a "convince them or become tomato juice" scenario.

I haven't read past that issue so I hadn't thought of that, but either way... he's such equal parts bastard and badass that I can't help but respectfully hate him.

Messi

Sarah Pichelli is so good. It's almost unfair. I can't wait for her to be on the Miles book again. Does she draw Guardians again after this first hardcover? Does she do anything in black vortex? Her Gamora is wonderful.

Separate The Killing Joke from what follows. Ostrander+co salvaged the character. Do not credit what follows to The Killing Joke. That was never part of the original story.

Ostrander has an article about his thoughts on The Killing Joke and the upcoming animated movie. Pretty interesting.

http://www.comicmix.com/2015/08/02/john-ostrander-savaging-barbara-gordon/

The cover image for the article is great too.

Funny you brought this up, I had come across this page not to long ago that made me want to read Oracle Year One
FfO42e9.jpg

fauxtrot

Banned
Going to SmackDown! tonight with some friends for my birthday... should I wear my COPRA shirt or my Love and Rockets shirt? These are the tough choices I'm faced with all of the time.

Messi

Detective comics #43
God's and Monsters Wonder Woman #1

Teen Titans Vol 1
Deadly Class #15
Kaptara #4
Wicked and the divine #13

Age of Apocalypse #2
Renew your vows #3
Civil War #2
Future Imperfect #4
Giant Size AvX #3
Groot #3
Guardians of Knowhere #2
Guardians Team-Up #9
Infinity Gauntlet #3
Ms Marvel #17
Siege #2
Spider island #2
Ultimate end #4
Angela Vol 1

Bob's Burgers #2
The Spire #2

FE_DA_120823ObamaSweat425x283.jpg

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Sarah Pichelli is so good. It's almost unfair. I can't wait for her to be on the Miles book again. Does she draw Guardians again after this first hardcover? Does she do anything in black vortex? Her Gamora is wonderful.

I don't think she does any Black Vortex. Schiti was on Guardians in that for sure.

Happy to see Groot on so many lists. It really has been something special so far. And this one has
Silver Surfer and Dawn!
I can't wait.

Separate The Killing Joke from what follows. Ostrander+co salvaged the character. Do not credit what follows to The Killing Joke. That was never part of the original story.

Funny you brought this up, I had come across this page not to long ago that made me want to read Oracle Year One
FfO42e9.jpg

Gonna pick up that book. I legitimately love Babs as Oracle, I've just never really read any Oracle stories.

Top Bottom