• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Detective comics #43
God's and Monsters Wonder Woman #1

Teen Titans Vol 1
Deadly Class #15
Kaptara #4

Age of Apocalypse #2
Renew your vows #3
Civil War #2
Future Imperfect #4
Giant Size AvX #3
Groot #3
Guardians of Knowhere #2
Guardians Team-Up #9
Infinity Gauntlet #3
Ms Marvel #17
Siege #2
Spider island #2
Ultimate end #4
Angela Vol 1

Bob's Burgers #2

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang

Everytime I see a page or panel from Killing Joke, my brain cant process that it is 27 years old. Looks so modern, unlike any other book from that time period.

I hope they adapt it to a movie at some point.
IIRC Bolland was one of the first artists to adopt digital methods of drawing. He's always been a forward thinking dude.

According to this interview on his website, he's 100% digital. Given that the website looks like it came out of the mid 90s Im gonna assume he's been digital since at least then

Ostrander has an article about his thoughts on The Killing Joke and the upcoming animated movie. Pretty interesting.

http://www.comicmix.com/2015/08/02/john-ostrander-savaging-barbara-gordon/

The cover image for the article is great too.

Oh damn, he invented Oracle too?

I'm just getting to the bit with her in Squad, didn't know that's where that role came from. Goddamn, this is one hell of a book.

I missed two.

Wicked and the divine #13 and The Spire #2

Thought you were dropping Wic Div.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So I just finished Strange (2009) and I'm feeling slightly ripped off here. It's like that wrote it to set up a new series or something and as far as I can tell there never was. The arc had like NO resolution, really. Wtf? I really enjoyed The Oath, but this was a bit disappointing.

I've moved on to the Ghost Rider books featured in the Marvel Ultimate Reading Club and so far have really liked them! It was cool to listen to the episode where they discussed it and then go get to read the issues also. It's a really cool concept, and it would be neat if other podcasters tried it.

For what it's worth I'm giving the Comics Conspiracy podcast a shot. So far it's pretty good!

Messi

Oh damn, he invented Oracle too?

I'm just getting to the bit with her in Squad, didn't know that's where that role came from. Goddamn, this is one hell of a book.

Thought you were dropping Wic Div.

Tula lotay. I also own the trade of the second volume. Got it before I read the first so I suppose I'll see what annoyed all of you about my favorite character.

Squire

Banned
Separate The Killing Joke from what follows. Ostrander+co salvaged the character. Do not credit what follows to The Killing Joke. That was never part of the original story.

Funny you brought this up, I had come across this page not to long ago that made me want to read Oracle Year One
FfO42e9.jpg

Goddamn.

Gonna pick up that book. I legitimately love Babs as Oracle, I've just never really read any Oracle stories.

Story seems to be here, if anyone else wants it: https://m.comixology.com/The-Batman-Chronicles-1995-2001-5/digital-comic/66987

Vibranium

Banned
Tom really is one of the good ones, but he gets fast pissed of when he is attacked political.
Remember, we most likely dont see every question and I could imagine that there are very rude attacks when it comes to topics like this.
You all should have seen the rants he throw against nazis when Sam took over as Cap.

I assume he just wanted to say that writing a story about LBGT characters is better done by a LBGT writer but got annoyed.

True, he does get tons of stupid questions on his page so it makes sense that he would get mad. Better than Stephen Wacker for sure, he wouldn't engage with positive fans on forums and only liked to debate the negative ones.

In other great news, I tracked down the last three trades of Rucka's Wonder Woman run. They are being shipped to me from three different libraries across Michigan. I love the library network here.

You dropped Harley? Get out.

My library just emailed me that I could pick up volumes 1 and 2. I'll soon know which side of the line I will be on.

Yeah they are all in tpb now. The last Batwoman Vol didn't get a HC.

Batwoman volumes that deserve hardcovers get hardcovers.

You dropped Harley? Get out.

I thought we talked about this. You said people shouldn't buy books they're not enjoying.

One of those others better be We are Robin.

Shit is legit.

Not yet. But I was going to check it out. Digital of course, fuck floppies.

I have a confession to make: I picked up the Harley backissues in that ridiculous "fucking everything DC's put out in the last 5 years for a dollar each" sale, and as much as I tried... I just don't like it.

I still love the character, but the series is doing nothing for me.

Messi

I have a confession to make: I picked up the Harley backissues in that ridiculous "fucking everything DC's put out in the last 5 years for a dollar each" sale, and as much as I tried... I just don't like it.

I still love the character, but the series is doing nothing for me.

That's fine. I understand that.

Sorry, Messi, I couldn't even get the through the last issue with the Popeye reject. It was just so uninteresting.

You don't have to explain anything. Just don't come by the clubhouse anymore. Don't make it weird.

Owzers

tuesday tennis in half an hour. it just started raining.

I might have to read comics tonight, this is the worst case scenario.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
F4 spoiler...
So now Its Clobbering Time is the catchphrase of Bens abusive brother...

Oo

And Doom is supposed to be worser that Malekith.

I read Strange Tales II on Marvel Unlimited, there's some weird, funny stuff in there. It's a 3-issue anthology mini where they took artists they wouldn't normally hire and had them do short stories with whatever Marvel characters they wanted. probably the closest thing they have to Solo. There's good stuff in here, even if some of it feels hampered by the page counts - stories by Los Bros, Kate Beaton, James Stokoe, Terry Moore, Jillian Tamaki, Ben Marra, Jeff Lemire, Gene Yang, etc. Standouts for me include:

Sheldon Vella doing a Ghost Rider thing, also one of the better uses of music in comics i've seen (because basically just imagine a Motorhead song)

Rafael Grampa doing a dope Wolverine-fighting-league story

a pretty hilarious Jhonen Vasquez story with fat Wolverine

Ant-Man by Jon Vermilyea, a guy i'd never heard of before
strangetales202top-1288389781.jpg

(note - not Farel Dalrymple)

and my personal fav, Jeffrey Brown tackling X-Men romantic drama
other good shit - Jaime Hernandez's Marvel ladies beach party, Paul Maybury's Spider-Man, all of Kate Beaton's two-pagers, Michael Deforge's weirdly dark Iceman short, Jillian Tamaki's Dazzler. lot of it. It's def worth checking out

Top Bottom