• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

ElNarez

Banned
F4 spoiler...
So now Its Clobbering Time is the catchphrase of Bens abusive brother...

Oo

And Doom is supposed to be worser that Malekith.

I'm gonna say it: that's totally them trying to ape Millar. That's exactly the kind of Cool and Subversive Hot Take on the F4 he would pull. Aunt Petunia's gonna get a drinking problem. The Yancy Street Gang? Meth peddlers. Herbie? Basically Bender now.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Fuck Fox when this is real.
They dont deserve money for this then.
I am so angry right now and I dont even care that much about the Fantastic Four.

Squire

Banned
I'm gonna say it: that's totally them trying to ape Millar. That's exactly the kind of Cool and Subversive Hot Take on the F4 he would pull. Aunt Petunia's gonna get a drinking problem. The Yancy Street Gang? Meth peddlers. Herbie? Basically Bender now.

In theory the Maker could be salvaged from this film for later use.

I read Strange Tales II on Marvel Unlimited, there's some weird, funny stuff in there. It's a 3-issue anthology mini where they took artists they wouldn't normally hire and had them do short stories with whatever Marvel characters they wanted. probably the closest thing they have to Solo. There's good stuff in here, even if some of it feels hampered by the page counts - stories by Los Bros, Kate Beaton, James Stokoe, Terry Moore, Jillian Tamaki, Ben Marra, Jeff Lemire, Gene Yang, etc. Standouts for me include:

Sheldon Vella doing a Ghost Rider thing, also one of the better uses of music in comics i've seen (because basically just imagine a Motorhead song)

Rafael Grampa doing a dope Wolverine-fighting-league story

a pretty hilarious Jhonen Vasquez story with fat Wolverine

Ant-Man by Jon Vermilyea, a guy i'd never heard of before
strangetales202top-1288389781.jpg

(note - not Farel Dalrymple)

and my personal fav, Jeffrey Brown tackling X-Men romantic drama

other good shit - Jaime Hernandez's Marvel ladies beach party, Paul Maybury's Spider-Man, all of Kate Beaton's two-pagers, Michael Deforge's weirdly dark Iceman short, Jillian Tamaki's Dazzler. lot of it. It's def worth checking out
I love Strange Tales. I have both hardcovers.

Kate Beaton ones were a highlight. That Grampa Wolverine one was great too. Also the guy who does PBF did one too. Hilarious

F4 spoiler...

Oo

That's funny. I know it's horrible but in some ways it's amazing they decided to turn something as innocent as a catchphrase and turn it into that. LMAO

The only good things I've heard of this movie was the casting of Michael B. Jordan. Other than that nobody believed in this movie.
Galactus is a super racist black pimp caricature, and the Silver Surfer's his bottom bitch.

Isn't that there relationship in a nutshell?

Okay that last one sounds pretty great.

Unknown Soldier #1-#14: That was a difficult read. -_- Shouldn't have started it right after reading Tardi's WW I book. The lettering is really great.

It's odd how marvel and DC go through cycles. It's looking like after secret wars marvel is heading to a slump. While DC is now adopting all the marvel now like philosophy and after convergence is getting good.

Like both companies did a 180 at the same time

great fucking piece putting all of the dumb shit Marvel did in the past few weeks in a single article

it's goddamn scary just how bad they're doing, it's looking like there's a curse on New York itself where you can't run a comic company without fucking up and now that DC moved away it went to Marvel
I was wondering if this wanna be posted here. Im kind of at this point. It really feels like Alonso and maybe other Marvel brass dont care much for minorities.

New Cap, Thor, Ms Marvel and Miles are really good steps. But thats almost as far as Marvel seems to want to take things right now. Pretending like not having PoC or LGBTQ creators is NBD and that anybody who takes them to task just learned the words 'cultural appropriation' and wants to use them for no reason is a pretty shitty thing to say.

Its pretty odd to think it was DC not that long ago who seemed like they had no clue and yet now they're doing really well on that front. Like they respect the voices of those who spoke up. Very happy to see that turn around.

Pretending like you cant find any PoC/LGBTQ creators to make the 'right kind' of comics for you is pretty much bullshit. Literally never ever having a black female writer on any of your books is crazy. Bringing in voices you dont usually is a great way to fight creative stagnation which is exactly what All New All Different Marvel looks like right now. Sorry Marvel, you're not putting books out so unbelievably great that I cant cut them out.

in other unsurprising news: Alex Maleev is real good at drawing

Fuck Y The Last Man is soooo good. I need to get my hands on book 2 fast and cheap...

Unknown Soldier #1-#14: That was a difficult read. -_- Shouldn't have started it right after reading Tardi's WW I book. The lettering is really great.

Yeah, I can see how you would feel that way. It's a tough book to read.

My absolute favorite bit to come out of this "Marvel doesn't care about non-straight whites" was Alonso saying:

I am very excited about the stuff we have planned -- especially "The Totally Awesome Hulk" and "Black Panther." Yes, Black Panther.

Like he namedropped that shit like he dropped the mic on the diversity argument. Then he went back and emphasized it like "oh yeah...we went there"

Messi

Fuck Y The Last Man is soooo good. I need to get my hands on book 2 fast and cheap...

Yeah, I can see how you would feel that way. It's a tough book to read.

Y keeps getting better and better. I envy the fact that you get to read it all for the first time.

My absolute favorite bit to come out of this "Marvel doesn't care about non-straight whites" was Alonso saying:

Like he namedropped that shit like he dropped the mic on the diversity argument. Then he went back and emphasized it like "oh yeah...we went there"

JC pls, you're going to make me throw up

Y keeps getting better and better. I envy the fact that you get to read it all for the first time.

The ramp up in the first book alone is ridiculous.

ElNarez

Banned

I mean there's black in the name

... NUFF SAID, right? RIGHT?

tim1138

Yo don't worry, they're just gonna objectify y'all in February as part of a gimmick month. Nothing gross about that at all, right? Right?!

LosDaddie

Banned
I can't say anything good about Onslaught in general, but the climax issue is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Not surprising. I generally try to stay from '90s comics. The Onslaught omni will be a pure nostalgia buy for me even though I never actually read the event. I did read most of AoA and have passed up on the omnibus for cheap a few times now.

can't wait for Mark Waid's Black Panther

Vibranium

Banned
I was wondering if this wanna be posted here. Im kind of at this point. It really feels like Alonso and maybe other Marvel brass dont care much for minorities.

New Cap, Thor, Ms Marvel and Miles are really good steps. But thats almost as far as Marvel seems to want to take things right now. Pretending like not having PoC or LGBTQ creators is NBD and that anybody who takes them to task just learned the words 'cultural appropriation' and wants to use them for no reason is a pretty shitty thing to say.

Its pretty odd to think it was DC not that long ago who seemed like they had no clue and yet now they're doing really well on that front. Like they respect the voices of those who spoke up. Very happy to see that turn around.

Pretending like you cant find any PoC/LGBTQ creators to make the 'right kind' of comics for you is pretty much bullshit. Literally never ever having a black female writer on any of your books is crazy. Bringing in voices you dont usually is a great way to fight creative stagnation which is exactly what All New All Different Marvel looks like right now. Sorry Marvel, you're not putting books out so unbelievably great that I cant cut them out.

For a great example of Marvel not doing enough for minority creators, look no further than Majorie Liu, one of the best Black Widow writers ever, who is currently just doing an awesome looking creator-owned project at Image. They should be trying to get Liu back into the fold, people like her work and it would be very beneficial to them.

Mine is he likes to bring up his own heritage to counter the claims

Mine is he likes to bring up his own heritage to counter the claims
That was so bad too. 'We cant be institutionally giving disfavorable opportunities to PoCs! Look at my skin!' :eyeroll
For a great example of Marvel not doing enough for minority creators, look no further than Majorie Liu, one of the best Black Widow writers ever, who is currently just doing an awesome looking creator-owned project at Image. They should be trying to get Liu back into the fold, people like her work and it would be very beneficial to them.

Yeah her absence is a bit baffling. I don't know whats going on there. For others who have left like KSD, Fraction, Bru, Remender and Hickman, you can see *why* they're not producing work for Marvel in the near future but with her its like hmmm I guess you didnt like having a successful female writer on a female character?

Owzers

Is Lemires Green Artow a jumping on point? This art looks stunning.

the art IS stunning, the "omnibus" is in the current dcbs pre-order that just went up today. I had bought the first trade and thought it was okay, loved the art but the story was a little iffy.

When i see Switch #1 in the specials i think about Messi.

Vibranium

Banned
Yeah her absence is a bit baffling. I don't know whats going on there. For others who have left like KSD, Fraction, Bru, Remender and Hickman, you can see *why* they're not producing work for Marvel in the near future but with her its like hmmm I guess you didnt like having a successful female writer on a female character?

Yeah, I have no clue. It just boggles my mind, Tumblr still is full of fans posting Bucky/Natasha stuff from her run. The fact that she characterized them on a level with Brubaker is pretty special, that takes talent.

Is Lemires Green Artow a jumping on point? This art looks stunning.

Definitely.

It's not really Lemire's run, tho. I mean, conceptually a lot of his stuff was pretty cool, but the writing was okay at best. The art tho... goddamn. Sorrentino OWNED that title.

Stop after that. The current run is... okay, but it's in this weird space atm where it could go either way.

Vyer

great fucking piece putting all of the dumb shit Marvel did in the past few weeks in a single article

it's goddamn scary just how bad they're doing, it's looking like there's a curse on New York itself where you can't run a comic company without fucking up and now that DC moved away it went to Marvel

Actually seeing this in sort of list form....Alonso's sort of a prick. I mean, trolling by retweeting gamergate images just is so unnecessary.

Also, lord those comments.....so much spinning and intellectual dishonesty. 'No, see you're really the racist' and 'sjw' snarling abounds.

Squire

Banned
Yeah, I have no clue. It just boggles my mind, Tumblr still is full of fans posting Bucky/Natasha stuff from her run. The fact that she characterized them on a level with Brubaker is pretty special, that takes talent.

I've said before, but her X-Men run was phenomenal, too. She had a good mix of icons and left fielders and she put mad work into the left fielders.

She honestly should've been their first call for the new main X-Men book, in my honest opinion. Even above Remender.

In that case, you should at least read some of the pre-N52 Birds of Prey.

F4 spoiler...

Oo

Did Jeff Lemire ghost write this script holy shit

20% on Rotten Tomatoes. Man.
Assuming any of this is real, the world is done.
Galactus is a super racist black pimp caricature, and the Silver Surfer's his bottom bitch.
I just believe this at this point

How did this day go so poorly in such a short amount of time?

HOW!?

Top Bottom