• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

so they continued to give her work? like, you can't really believe this...
Not saying that she got the short stick for the years she did produce work for marvel. I've no reason to believe she was kicked out from creating for Marvel or that she's sworn off marvel or w/e.

There's plenty of possible reasons that she's not working for marvel at the moment. She could be way more interested in doing creator work right now for example.

But if you as a company are criticized for not having many female creators or for rarely having female creators writing female characters, wouldn't trying to bring Liu in as a popular minority female creator who has a positive history with the company be kind of an obvious move?

She hasn't produced any work for marvel in 2 years right? Basically early wave marvel now? If you can somehow woo Ellis to do work for you, can't you do the same with Liu with he added benefit that she brings in a slightly different audience than your usual? I haven't seen that effort from them.

By her own admission, she jumped at the chance to write x-men. Surely there are other properties she'd like to write if not x-men. Or just kick off Bunn or Hopeless.

Catching up on Shield with marvels unlimited discover tab
F4 spoiler...
So now Its Clobbering Time is the catchphrase of Bens abusive brother...

Oo

And Doom is supposed to be worser that Malekith.
First I was afraid to click on this spoiler, but I'm happy I did lol

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Is anyone here getting that Frank Miller Daredevil Artifact Edition? I need a video review.

ReAxion

She hasn't produced any work for marvel in 2 years right? Basically early wave marvel now? If you can somehow woo Ellis to do work for you, can't you do the same with Liu with he added benefit that she brings in a slightly different audience than your usual? I haven't seen that effort from them.

Ellis does what he wants, nobody woos him. Liu is working on Monstress. We know Image is making the best deals out there for creators, but we're not privy to Marvel's efforts. The optics are bad but presuming we know what their efforts are is a bit much.

Vibranium

Banned
I've said before, but her X-Men run was phenomenal, too. She had a good mix of icons and left fielders and she put mad work into the left fielders.

She honestly should've been their first call for the new main X-Men book, in my honest opinion. Even above Remender.

I'll check out Majorie's X-Men, thanks for the recommendation!

Weiss

Banned
So I'm trying to get back into X-Men. How was the Claremont Nightcrawler series? Kurt's my favourite character in the franchise and from what I understand it was supposed to a lot of ufn.

Owzers

what's this One Punch Man i saw here? DCBS had volume one at half off, but it sounds like an old series?

It's manga isn't it? Don't try to hide it.

I'm losing interest in Hearthstone, the pack i got today had nothing fun in it and i'm starting to play against guys with much better cards than me again, it leveled out for awhile but nope.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hola for my raise motherfuckers!!!

So happy right now, been working like a mofo this year and going from risk of losing my job earlier in the year to things stabilising and now my looooooong overdue raise coming... fuck yeah

Hagi

Yes, more skins for f2p mobas!

I bought a Hawkguy costume in Marvel Heroes then felt dirty for about a week, thankfully I've been spared having interest in mobas because the struggle seems real.

Ordered Deadly Class Vol 2 and Vol 1 & 2 of Wicked and the Divine off amazon yesterday. Looking forward to reading WatD, I like Gillen and the art looks great.

So in a surprising turn of events, Bloodshot OHC 1 has sewn binding. I'm kind of weirded out by how they decide to do sewn or glued seemingly at random...

ElNarez

Banned
okay how the fuck did we miss this
hFiwIBv.jpg

It's from last week's S.H.I.E.L.D.

It's written by Mark Waid

COMICS Y'ALL

Shaanyboi

Banned
I bought a Hawkguy costume in Marvel Heroes then felt dirty for about a week, thankfully I've been spared having interest in mobas because the struggle seems real.

Ordered Deadly Class Vol 2 and Vol 1 & 2 of Wicked and the Divine off amazon yesterday. Looking forward to reading WatD, I like Gillen and the art looks great.

Eh, I have no issue with dropping a couple bucks on cosmetic stuff like that in a free game. Basically like a tip jar. Plus, Hawkguy bro

Hagi

okay how the fuck did we miss this

It's from last week's S.H.I.E.L.D.

It's written by Mark Waid

COMICS Y'ALL

Did you read the cringey as fuck issue where Coulson starts calling Daisy as Skye then gives this super dumb explanation about it? I love Waid but the writing on this book is just as bad as the first season of SHIELD. Maybe that's the intention.

If there is, I'm pretty sure Ann Nocenti and Scott Lobdel are at the top.

Eh only if there is a list of titles to go with them. I'd rather read Lobdels Generation X than say Remenders run on Uncanny Avengers. :p

Hey, now, Lobdell's not bad when he's not writing anything serious. Red Hood/Arsenal has been a pretty fun book thus far.

I'd put Millar and anything Miller's done in the last ~20 years before either of them, tho.

Eh only if there is a list of titles to go with them. I'd rather read Lobdels Generation X than say Remenders run on Uncanny Avengers. :p

Hey, now, Lobdell's not bad when he's not writing anything serious. Red Hood/Arsenal has been a pretty fun book thus far.

I'd put Millar and anything Miller's done in the last ~20 years before either of them, tho.

ugh comic book people can be so darn SPECIFIC. I was talking in general.

The question was "Is there a handy list of writers to avoid?" and Millar and Miller are two bad examples because they have both had pieces of work that range from great to excellent in their history working in comics.

Squire

Banned
I'll check out Majorie's X-Men, thanks for the recommendation!

No problem! I hope you dig it! One of my favorite books I've read so far.

Convergence: Blue Beetke was really fun too. Only thing I've read by him, but I liked it. Great art, too.

Nocenti wasn't always bad, tho. Her Marvel work from years back was good.

Modern Brian Wood is also one to avoid. Some of his old work is well worth reading, though. DMZ, Local, and Channel Zero, for instance. All very good.

Afrodium

Banned
Fuck Y The Last Man is soooo good. I need to get my hands on book 2 fast and cheap...

I've had the first hardcover on my shelf for months without touching it. Finally got around to it this weekend and devoured it. Now I'm trying to wrap up the five other series I'm reading before I order the rest. It's all about incentives.

Not digging the art though. It's serviceable, but not great. I'm hoping it improves as the series continues.

The question was "Is there a handy list of writers to avoid?" and Millar and Miller are two bad examples because they have both had pieces of work that range from great to excellent in their history working in comics.

Its very rare for 100% of a writer's output to be trash. Even Edmonson has good stuff on occasion, such as some black widow tales.

So no.

Hagi

Nocenti and Lobdel both have pieces of work that range from great to uh great in their history of working in comics too.

Edit: lol guess I was late in replying

Apocalypse Twins through the end of Avenge the Earth is quality superheroing

I didn't care for the run at all, big step down from X-Force.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
100% of what JC writes here is complete trash, does that count?

:3

Brian Wood is the scum of the Earth on top of being a bad writer. So is Lobdell.

As I said, some of his older work is quite good. Stupid shit he's done doesn't detract from the fact that he put out some good work. Don't let your hatred for the guy blind you to that fact.

While there might be no writers that have only produced universally disliked comics, any writers you all have given up on after realising that their work does not align with your tastes at all?

Mine are

BKV - I've tried Saga, Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina - I am still tempted to try Runaways though, sounds like an interesting concept.

Bryan Lee O'Malley - I've tried Scott Pilgrim and Seconds.

I'm leaving this community

But where will you go? FigureGAF is no more.

Nudull

Banned
As I said, some of his older work is quite good. Stupid shit he's done doesn't detract from the fact that he put out some good work. Don't let your hatred for the guy blind you to that fact.

Kinda hard to enjoy the good work of a guy who straight tried to pull a casting couch on a woman trying to get artist work.

Top Bottom