• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Yousefb

Owzers

I read Brian Wood comics while eating Chick Fil A and am looking forward to Marvel's build up to Black History Month, only rivaled by my anticipation for the Republican debate Thursday.

Squire

Banned
The assertion that anyone is "mad" or that "shit'll eat you alive" is ridiculous, too.

I'm not mad and I'm not going out of my to hurt anybody.

What I am doing thiugh is buying one or two books less each month and not losing a wink of sleep over it. And guess what? The books are still getting printed without me!

So I'm not supporting bigots that happen to be talented and they get to keep their jobs! Everybody wins!
Even if they don't deserve it.

Thanks!

Also what are some non-super hero comics can you guys recommend? I love me some masks and capes but I also want to discover what else is out there.

The books I've read/am reading are:
- Sandman
- Y the Last Man
- Chew
- Transmetropolitan
- American Vampire

Deadly Class
The Fade Out
Southern Bastards
Lumberjanes
Black Science
Descender
Jem & The Holograms

Wow, I didn't know about all the shit about Edmondson's Punisher (wasn't reading it). Glad I never caught up with any of his stuff, lately.

Let's not forget about Dennis Hopeless and how he tried to pass off Avengers Undercover as a serious "PTSD book" with teens, while we're at it.

Hmm I'm not aware of Hopeless and PTSD in Avengers Undercover. I didnt read that book. PTSD is so commonly misunderstood and misrepresented that I kind of have a hard time writing him off for a poor portrayal. There are lot of misconceptions and misinformation about all sort of mental illnesses. Ex: every piece of work that has ever had multiple personality disorder as a plot point.

Is there a link you can point me to that goes over it?

Are we seriously going through the "judge the work, not the creator" argument?

I understand where you are coming from. I feel like I have a very similar attitude that you do, but I do not think it is such a clear cut case of what a person should do if they feel that a creator has despicable viewpoints.

When someone creates a piece of work, when that work is released to be read/viewed/experienced or w/e, that work then, in a way, belongs to the public as well. Think of the unintended readings of works. Like someone reading a piece and saying 'hey, this character really reads like he might be gay.' The author can say thats not intended but to some, the reality is that the character is gay.

Maybe that is a poor example, but what I am trying to say is that this kind of creator/consumer ownership creates a lot of shades of grey in many matters. Buying the work of an author who is racist does not automatically make you racist.

I argue this because someone can read a work with some racist undertones and their experience can be that does undertones do not even exist b/c they do not register with them when read. That is not to say that it is inconsequential that those undertones are there but I think because of the shared nature of creative work and varied experiences of a work, there can be many legitimate viewpoints on what is right or fair when you are aware of attitudes you may find deplorable in the creator.

Sorry if this does not make too much sense. I do hope you find my points somewhere in that jumble.

Nudull

Banned
Hmm I'm not aware of Hopeless and PTSD in Avengers Undercover. I didnt read that book. PTSD is so commonly misunderstood and misrepresented that I kind of have a hard time writing him off for a poor portrayal. There are lot of misconceptions and misinformation about all sort of mental illnesses. Ex: every piece of work that has ever had multiple personality disorder as a plot point.

Is there a link you can point me to that goes over it?

From an interview with Multiversity Comics.

dream

Brian Wood's Demo and Local are two of my favorite series of all time. So normally he'd get a pass from me, but, man did DMZ suck.

Comic Gaf, I use to read Dark Horse Star wars comics, but stopped around the old republic series. Is Marvel's Star Wars any good?

So far, yeah. Darth Vader seems to be the best, with the main Star Wars book being next best after that. The minis are hit-or-miss. I've heard good things about Kanan.

Working my way through BPRD Plague of Frogs volume 3 some more tonight. I'm on Garden of Souls right now. Abe's whole backstory is becoming more and more interesting as it progresses. Also cool to see more a little more light shed on Daimio too.

Major-ish spoilers for it:
Shame about Roger, but at least his whole death was handled really well. It felt appropriate and it was nice to see Mignola do the art for the final exchange between him and Johann.

Yousefb

I see that Deadly Class came up a few times. I loved Remender's X-force. Are his other books all up to par? His style had me hooked the whole way through.

Messi

I see that Deadly Class came up a few times. I loved Remender's X-force. Are his other books all up to par? His style had me hooked the whole way through.

Deadly Class is incredible as is Low and Black Science. People love Fear Agent but I have not gotten to it yet. All of his image work is straight up FIRE.

Messi

This is true. It might take a little longer than Prime, but it's almost definitely worth it.

I'd rather wait a day or two more than risk having books damaged. I've gotten too many books from Amazon that were just flung into a box. Don't ever order OHCs or omnibuses from Amazon.

Excluding AXIS (and even then I think Marvel editorial is partially to blame for it), I think he's a great writer and I've enjoyed pretty much everything I've read from him.

Uncanny X-Force is my favorite Marvel book from him and I thought Uncanny Avengers got pretty damn close throughout. It's worth a read for sure since it's essentially a sequel series. Beginning arc is a little weak but it gets really good after that. Deadly Class is probably the best thing he's written since X-Force however, and his writing is great for it. He's great at writing angsty characters so a high school setting is seriously PERFECT for him. His other creator owned titles, Black Science and Low, are also very good but I'm behind on both. I did really enjoy both of them though, although I think I prefer Low to Black Science.

I've heard excellent things about Fear Agent but I haven't read it yet. I only read a little of Captain America and Venom but I thought they were pretty good too.

Yousefb

I'd rather wait a day or two more than risk having books damaged. I've gotten too many books from Amazon that were just flung into a box. Don't ever order OHCs or omnibuses from Amazon.
Really? Wow, so far my experience with Amazon has been good in regards to orders. But I'll keep that in mind especially if I get any hardcovers! Thank you

Edit: Appreciate the responses everyone. I think I'll get the first volumes of Deadly Class along with Low or Black Science since they're relatively cheap. I'm torn on Fear Agent because I see there's a hardcover edition and I'd rather wait to get that later vs a bunch of paperbacks. Besides I need to get Hellboy Library Edition first :p

I love his all new Captain America stuff. I love Falcon Cap.
Yeah I wanna get around to that eventually, same with Venom. Got so much to read though :'(
Really? Wow, so far my experience with Amazon has been good in regards to orders. But I'll keep that in mind especially if I get any hardcovers! Thank you

It's pretty hit or miss with Amazon. When they shipped my Doom Patrol omnibus it came in a box a little bigger than the book and only a couple of air bubbles to protect it. The problem is that it's a pretty beefy book and it just crushed those bubbles. So it was just this big book just thumping around in a box. Luckily it wasn't damaged but it was still pretty stupid how that was packed. When I got my Hellboy Library Editions from them however, one of them was completely bubble wrapped in a box so it wouldn't be damaged.

IST is much more consistent, everything is packed in ways so your items will always be safe.

Tizoc

F4 spoiler...
So now Its Clobbering Time is the catchphrase of Bens abusive brother...

Oo

And Doom is supposed to be worser that Malekith.

So he turns a bad phrase (to him) so it has a more 'positive' use.
Honestly that's just a silly and pointless method of trying to add depth to a character.

Hagi

So Deadpool is actually looking like it will turn out great which weirds me the fuck out. His character has changed a lot for the better since Waypool and now he's got a fantastic run and an R rated movie? What a strange time to be alive.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So Deadpool is actually looking like it will turn out great which weirds me the fuck out. His character has changed a lot for the better since Waypool and now he's got a fantastic run and an R rated movie? What a strange time to be alive.

Way started off good, he just ran out of ideas super fast. The Deadpool Dark Reign books were great, don't front.

frye

So he turns a bad phrase (to him) so it has a more 'positive' use.
Honestly that's just a silly and pointless method of trying to add depth to a character.

Especially when that character is one of the all time great Marvel heroes as is

Hagi

Way started off good, he just ran out of ideas super fast. The Deadpool Dark Reign books were great, don't front.

I haven't read his Dark Reign tie ins but everything else I have was crap and not funny in the slightest. If they are on marvel unlimited I might give them a try but I'll be going in with low expectations.

Sadist

The arc with Bullseye (posing as Hawkeye) is glorious. Especially the parts where his brain is healing and the meatsuit. Be the meat!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I haven't read his Dark Reign tie ins but everything else I have was crap and not funny in the slightest. If they are on marvel unlimited I might give them a try but I'll be going in with low expectations.

They're literally the only two good arcs he had, especially the one with Bullseye. It was just plain fun.

The arc with Bullseye (posing as Hawkeye) is glorious. Especially the parts where his brain is healing and the meatsuit. Be the meat!

That's the one I'm talking about. Had his entire run been like that I doubt anyone would complain, sadly we can't always have nice things.

this F4 movie sounds like complete shit. I have to see it now.

Deadpool on the other hand... I'd probably die from cringing if i saw it in a theater

ElNarez

Banned
I loved the Deadpool trailer especially the part where he said all the bad words also my dream Deadpool film is two hours of Deadpool shooting guns and saying "heck" all the time also I'm 13 what's puberty

Hagi

They're literally the only two good arcs he had, especially the one with Bullseye. It was just plain fun.

I'll definitely give them a look. Gotta keep using that marvel unlimited subscription.

I loved the Deadpool trailer especially the part where he said all the bad words also my dream Deadpool film is two hours of Deadpool shooting guns and saying "heck" all the time also I'm 13 what's puberty

Nice to see another person looking forward to it.

PsychBat!

Banned
Secret Wars #6 Midtown Variant.
1430508_xl.jpg

Revisited the second X-Men film. Much less painful than the first but still frustrating in some regards. Really wanting to read some X-Men comics that make better use of the lady characters now. I remember a Mystique centered series by Brian K. Vaughan being discussed in here a while back.

what's this One Punch Man i saw here? DCBS had volume one at half off, but it sounds like an old series?

It's manga isn't it? Don't try to hide it.

Ohhh I didn't notice this thanks, I think this is the book recently being talked about.
Someone taking some panels and making a gif?

Deadly Class is incredible as is Low and Black Science. People love Fear Agent but I have not gotten to it yet. All of his image work is straight up FIRE.

I don't understand Messi,,, "I have not gotten to it yet?" :( Its just as fucking good as Deadly Class and any other Remender book.
If not better

Also, just preordered Switch :)

------------------------------------------

Once again ive never read One Piece,, but these are some cool ass looking statues.

I already preorderd this one..

I think this will be next.

Another cool statue I don't know what it really is...

Tizoc

Revisited the second X-Men film. Much less painful than the first but still frustrating in some regards. Really wanting to read some X-Men comics that make better use of the lady characters now. I remember a Mystique centered series by Brian K. Vaughan being discussed in here a while back.

Hmmm, there was an X-Men series focused on Rogue, Prof. X and Henshaw, X-Men Legacy.
I'd need to look up more about that since I read it a long time ago.

If anything def. check out X-Statix while it may not have what you're mentioning it's a fantastic book with lots of feels.

Also read Greg Rucka comics, he always has a good female character as the protagonist, Deuteragonist, or generally as one of the important supporting cast.

Comic Gaf, I use to read Dark Horse Star wars comics, but stopped around the old republic series. Is Marvel's Star Wars any good?

Yeah, they've been good so far. Vader and Star Wars are the best in the line. Kanan's been fun, especially if you've been watching the Rebels TV show. I found Leia's mini-series a bit underwhelming but Lando's has started well.

Top Bottom