• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Not what I said and you know it. :p

While it wouldn't be the same as it once was, a Babs retired from the front lines because she determined she could do more as Oracle would be OK to me. Ideally the being healed would have never happened, but that's water under the bridge.

It's not under my bridge.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Groot 3 was just what I was hoping it would be. Sublime.

Also, I managed to snag a few Chris Samnee sketches that went up on sale this morning. Someone else must have been sniping for the Nightwing that I wanted, but I still got a few good ones. Can't wait for them to get here.

Mafro

Groot 3 was just what I was hoping it would be. Sublime.

Also, I managed to snag a few Chris Samnee sketches that went up on sale this morning. Someone else must have been sniping for the Nightwing that I wanted, but I still got a few good ones. Can't wait for them to get here.
Was gonna get that Black Panther one but it was US delivery only. Hate that.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Not what I said and you know it. :p

While it wouldn't be the same as it once was, a Babs retired from the front lines because she determined she could do more as Oracle would be OK to me. Ideally the being healed would have never happened, but that's water under the bridge.
Thats right, but when she would return to be Oracle, of course she would be crippled again.

(Not that I mean they have to do this)

Y'know, the best thing about Ultimate End is that it does a terrific job of showing just how many characters Bendis should absolutely never write.

Also dear god at his new Iron Man book, going by the quality of his Starks.

ReAxion

attn Messi:

Off Panel #8: Comic Tangents with Joe Keatinge

On this week’s episode of Off Panel from SKTCHD.com, David welcomes Joe Keatinge, the writer of Shutter and the upcoming Ringside at Image Comics. Joe joins the show this week to talk about the economics of the creator-owned model, what creators can get from working in a comic shop, making comics work for you, the distribution system, social media, art vs. commerce, the evolution and development of comics, and a lot, lot more. If it sounds like it’s a sprawling conversation, that’s because it is. But it’s a very interesting and tangent filled conversation with a great creator that touches on all things comic books.

http://sktchd.com/podcast/off-panel-8-joe-keatinge/

I'll have to wait because I can't have the paperbacks sitting next to the library editions and omnibuses. Think I'll buy some Baltimore and Black Beetle instead, maybe get Lobster Johnston.

Urrgghhh...
Just had to bring up that sore ass subject :/

Necrologue will never fuckin happen will it... WILLL IT!?!?!

Messi

We not talking about this? So hyped

THE MIGHTY THOR this November

Mighty_Thor_1_Gatefold.jpg

I'll have to wait because I can't have the paperbacks sitting next to the library editions and omnibuses. Think I'll buy some Baltimore and Black Beetle instead, maybe get Lobster Johnston.

Wth I was just looking at Black Beetle and thinking why the hell no one around here never talks about it. lol

Mafro

So I bough volume 1 of Matt Fraction's FF in the Comixology sale and for some reason it's #4-8?! Why is there no #1-3?

Let's start with Babs. Even under the current creative staff they've referred to the fact that part of Babs' character is being a tech wiz. In her time as Oracle pre-N52, especially as her character developed, she was pretty much always the most talented computer and hacking related person period. Clearly, that doesn't need to be the case in the N52 but putting someone as Oracle above her feels like it would be the weirdest place to put a new Oracle.

It doesn't help that Babs in the current run is being written much closer to Steph than how Babs had been written for decades. I dunno, it just seems like a weird idea to bring her back as Batgirl only to then make her seem more like another Batgirl (The one she came back to replace, even!) and putting Frankie as Oracle would just further this. If it's going to be Babs as Batgirl then it should be Babs.

As for Frankie, well, right now she's her own character. Making her someone named Oracle feels like it would just be a link that doesn't seem to be needed, especially if it's just to help out Babs instead of as someone running/plugged into a huge information network for various groups of Important People. Her current role is fine, but the name just has pretty strong implications assigned to it and I'm not sure that's what's best right now.

Edit:
Of course, I'm perhaps sticking too much to pre-N52 canon, but that's part of my frustration. It seems like pretty much all the male Batfamily characters retain most of their history in N52 (Just compressed into comically short time spans) whereas all the women, outside of the two Batwomen if you want to count them, appear to have had much of their history ripped away. This fact bothers the hell out of me.

Edit 2:
I should also note that I say all this as someone that generally enjoyed Simone's Batgirl run and who has continued to pick up the current run weekly even if I'm not entirely sure my take on it yet.

I was a bit disappointed with how Azarello/Chiang's Wonder Woman run ended, so I was looking up what others thought about it online. And I see that there is a rather vocal set of Wonder Woman fans who hated the complete run. A lot of their criticisms might be valid but as someone who is relatively new to Wonder Woman, I didn't see any of that. (Same with Batgirl). Some of what they hated is actually what I loved about the run. It must be very difficult for writers/editors to find a balance.

Thats right, but when she would return to be Oracle, of course she would be crippled again.

(Not that I mean they have to do this)
It's actually pretty easy to undo. She was healed but at least through Simone's run she never knew how or why. Seems like you just have a flowers of Algernon deal and have her body start to break down again.

Don't do anything traumatic

It's actually pretty easy to undo. She was healed but at least through Simone's run she never knew how or why. Seems like you just have a flowers of Algernon deal and have her body start to break down again.

That's not quite true. It was supposed to be from "experimental surgery", so the how and why are technically known in a sense. Doesn't mean it can't degrade again although I'm not sure what I'd think of that. :x

Messi

That's not quite true. It was supposed to be from "experimental surgery", so the how and why are technically known in a sense. Doesn't mean it can't degrade again although I'm not sure what I'd think of that. :x

That would be incredibly rough to go through. I don't think dc would go that way. Especially given how popular the current book is.

Really? I thought the reveal issue was one of the most moving comics I've ever read.

Same, loved it.

frye

The (probably justified) shitstorm that would ensue more or less precludes that from ever happening.

Messi

The overall initial series bored me I'm sad to say. I like the character and its concept but the events felt dragged out in issues to me for some reason @_@

I can't see this series being of any interest to you then as it is just a continuation of where we left off.

That would be incredibly rough to go through. I don't think dc would go that way. Especially given how popular the current book is.

The (probably justified) shitstorm that would ensue more or less precludes that from ever happening.

Yeah, I'm mostly of this mindset. Even though I would have preferred the change to have never happened in the first place I really don't want to undo it at this point because of what would be needed for it to happen. Which isn't to say part of me isn't slightly open to the idea, hence my prior comment.

Tizoc

I can't see this series being of any interest to you then as it is just a continuation of where we left off.

So what there are various comics I read where I skip the early stories and just jump in or red whatever is the best arc/stories in it.

I like Steph Batgirl more than Babs Batgirl, but at this point it'd just be better if they featured Steph prominently through being Spoiler. It's possible to push both

also that Thor image is sweet
Wth I was just looking at Black Beetle and thinking why the hell no one around here never talks about it. lol
There's not a lot to talk about - IIRC it's a gorgeous book but it's standard pulp stuff story-wise

He's making my avatar's expression XD

Ayyy lmao

Top Bottom