• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

ReAxion

anyone else want to come forward while I'm on the phone with the stake company, the one that sells the stakes for burning heretics.

Actually, come to think of it, the only female characters in that movie are the title character and Miracle Max's wife. It's pretty much a sausage fest.

Damn good movie, though.

ElNarez

Banned
Marvel "oh it's so hard making a book with an LGBT lead we're looking real hard for the right team and the right story we swear"

Meanwhile, Midnighter #3

DC wins.

tim1138

Marvel "oh it's so hard making a book with an LGBT lead we're looking real hard for the right team and the right story we swear"

Meanwhile, Midnighter #3

DC wins.

I freaking love everything about Midnighter.

The juxtaposition of the violence and M.'s personal life is just so well done, I was just telling Korupt about how much last month's flashback with Apollo just ruined me. And then this month with him clubbing and then the fight and the conclusion, it's just so good.

I wish Steve Orlando was coming to our local con so I could hang out at his table and talk to him all day.

Owzers

I'm in a comics rut again, I was reading a few things I really liked but fairest vol 1 is dragging and the antler boy book from the indie sale isn't grabbing me, feels a little flat.

ReAxion

I'm in a comics rut again, I was reading a few things I really liked but fairest vol 1 is dragging and the antler boy book from the indie sale isn't grabbing me, feels a little flat.

flat-girl-200x125.jpg

Messi

Bought some books today :

Teen Titans Vol 1 Blinded by the light
Mystique Ultimate Collection
Angela Asgard Assassin Vol 1 Priceless
Copra Round 1
Copra Round 2
Huntress : Crossbow at the crossroads
Deathstroke Vol 1 God's of War

I know little to nothing about Copra and Huntress but you guys were hyped for Copra so I bought it. I wanted a Huntress story so I took a punt as I liked the art. It's probably crap and I'll probably love it.

Midnighter #3:
these Apollo breakup flashbacks are killing me. I'm just glad it ended without either of them breaking character.

tim1138

Midnighter #3:
these Apollo breakup flashbacks are killing me. I'm just glad it ended without either of them breaking character.

Re: your spoilers

You and me both.
I also really enjoyed the fight against Multiplex and then him punching that dude's brain out

I was on team labyrinth over princess bride.
How does one even begin to think like this

How
I still haven't watched og star wars

Or princess bride

I haven't seen Ghostbusters since I was 7 or 8

Sure judge me if you want but I bet you haven't watched El Santo y Blue Demon contra Dracula y El Hombre Lobo 5 times like I have
this is... a fair point
Gatta read We Stand On Gaurd #2 listening to The Weakerthans & Propagandhi.

Huh, I guess I should get around to reading #1

Hagi

Bought some books today :

Teen Titans Vol 1 Blinded by the light
Mystique Ultimate Collection
Angela Asgard Assassin Vol 1 Priceless
Copra Round 1
Copra Round 2
Huntress : Crossbow at the crossroads
Deathstroke Vol 1 God's of War

I know little to nothing about Copra and Huntress but you guys were hyped for Copra so I bought it. I wanted a Huntress story so I took a punt as I liked the art. It's probably crap and I'll probably love it.

My girlfriend loved that Huntress book it's the only comic outside of Fairest she was buying the issues for as they came out. Doesn't say much for it's quality but I think she would like most of the things you read.

Going to try and pick up Angela today when I go to the comic store later.

Deadly Class lost me today.
Playing a Punch-Out! with Mike Tyson on what appear to be SNES controllers with sound effects from the arcade games and also it's apparently two players? WTF that's 100x kinds of wrong!
Clearly this means it's time to drop the book. D:

So, TIL something cool:

Jack Kirby was involved with the original, IRL events that inspired Argo (which probably played a big part in getting Affleck and Terrio on BvS); he drew a lot of the art they used to sell the movie cover story!

96e391638e1d114e4d29f04773ec2a1a_large-2.jpg

So, TIL something cool:

Jack Kirby was involved with the original, IRL events that inspired Argo (which probably played a big part in getting Affleck and Terrio on BvS); he drew a lot of the art they used to sell the movie cover story!

[IG]http://eviltender.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/96e391638e1d114e4d29f04773ec2a1a_large-2.jpg[/IMG]

I found out about this fairly recently too. The next Heavy Metal magazine is carrying full colour prints of those images! I bought a 1 year subscription just to get that issue. Lord of Light one of my favourite sci-fi books.

Edit: io9 has some more colour images.

http://io9.com/behold-the-psychedelic-glory-of-jack-kirbys-argo-art-i-1712647027

I found out about this fairly recently too. The next Heavy Metal magazine is carrying full colour prints of those images! I bought a 1 year subscription just to get that issue. Lord of Light one of my favourite sci-fi books.

Edit: io9 has some more colour images.

http://io9.com/behold-the-psychedelic-glory-of-jack-kirbys-argo-art-i-1712647027

Yeah, saw those when I was googling the story. Really like this one:

Jack-Kirby-Lord-of-Light-Brahmas-Pavilions-of-Joy.jpg

Also:
Originally drawn as work for Barry Ira Geller’s planned film (and theme park) adaptation of the Roger Zelazny novel Lord of Light, the art was ultimately used as part of a CIA mission to extract hostages from the American embassy in Iran as concept art for a fake movie, Argo.

1305755228004128583.png

Now I'm sad that there isn't a crazy Hindu-mythology-inspired, Jack-Kirby-Designed theme park out there somewhere. Truly, this is the darkest timeline.

I've heard you mention X-O like once

D.Gray-man, Hunter x Hunter
Yup. Loved archer and Armstrong and harbinger. Moved to Ivar. I read x-o but that last arc fizzled. Wish the valiant was an ongoing. Ninjack is losing me and I need to check out imperrium. I have the first couple but haven't read.

Sell me more on the books and why. I'm picking up on some more jojo, claymore, one piece and one man punch that are out

Looking at the Viz sale - mangas are so long, damn. Probably gonna finally check out One Punch Man. I've wanted to get back into One Piece too, but there's so much of it.

Yup. Loved archer and Armstrong and harbinger. Moved to Ivar. I read x-o but that last arc fizzled. Wish the valiant was an ongoing. Ninjack is losing me and I need to check out imperrium. I have the first couple but haven't read.

Sell me more on the books and why. I'm picking up on some more jojo, claymore, one piece and one man punch that are out

One-Punch Man for the great action and art. It balances being a parody of the superhero genre with playing the same tropes straight too. It is hilarious at times.

Solanin because it is a very well written coming-of-age story. And it's got that unique slice-of-life pacing which many Manga do so well. It is complete, so it should be a quick read too.

Busaiku

My Love Story, Food Wars, Assassination Classroom, My Hero Academia, Gangsta., Excel Saga, Gintama, Gyo, Monster, Sunny, Vagabond

You should get them all, and everything else.

Why did no one tell me how good The Omega Men is?

I do a longform piece every time it drops extolling how weird and awesome the book is. Haven't been able to read it today or else I'd do another one.

It's fantastic. It's strange, but not in a Morrison-esque "holy shit so many drugs" sort of way. It's operating on this odd perspective, like watching a foreign show from an unfamiliar culture.

Looking at the Viz sale - mangas are so long, damn. Probably gonna finally check out One Punch Man. I've wanted to get back into One Piece too, but there's so much of it.

Mangas aren't really that long if you consider them to be the manga equivalent of trades.

My Love Story, Food Wars, Assassination Classroom, My Hero Academia, Gangsta., Excel Saga, Gintama, Gyo, Monster, Sunny, Vagabond

You should get them all, and everything else.

Assassination Classroom I'll vouch for.

MG310

Real talk: only watched princess bride 2 years ago. While the script is good, dear. fucking. lord. are most actors amateur hour. Dudes ruining delivery left and right, stilted dialogue everywhere. Andre legit didn't even try.

Baldie was baller, tho.

And then one goes and tries to find out wth happened to Cary Elwes. Fast food. Fast food happened.

Robin Hood: Men In Tights happened before that, and it was good.

Top Bottom