• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Also had my doubts about the library edition, but it was obviously just me being an idiot. This thing is quality.

Right!? Now you see why the price is more than worth it.

And be responsible, don't buy all six Library Editions, three BPRD hardcovers, and a BPRD omni paperback in the span of a month like I did :(

I'm still mad that I didn't get the BPRD hardcover while it was in stock...

Messi

Navigating comicgaf tonight

giphy.gif

Grandharrier is my El Santo

Messi

Trade comes out next Wednesday in comic shops I think. I'm definitely buying it.

Oh wow that is pretty funny timing for me to ask. Can I read it standalone? I only read the first two hellboy volumes and didn't appeal to me but Maleev's art always appeals.

Oh wow that is pretty funny timing for me to ask. Can I read it standalone? I only read the first two hellboy volumes and didn't appeal to me but Maleev's art always appeals.

I'm not sure actually, I haven't read this at all. Just going off the description though it seems pretty separate from the main story since it takes place in 1952. I love Maleev's art so I'm excited for it.

Messi

I'm not sure actually, I haven't read this at all. Just going off the description though it seems pretty separate from the main story since it takes place in 1952. I love Maleev's art so I'm excited for it.

Stupid question but is Hellboy still going? or is it just BRPD, is he in BRPD? Or is there a reason the main title isnt still going.

That was more than one question, I am sorry.

Stupid question but is Hellboy still going? or is it just BRPD, is he in BRPD? Or is there a reason the main title isnt still going.

That was more than one question, I am sorry.

Hellboy in Hell is a continuation of the main Hellboy book. So there's Hellboy in hell, BPRD, and the spin-offs like Hellboy & The BPRD and Abe Sapien.

Messi

Hellboy in Hell is a continuation of the main Hellboy book. So there's Hellboy in hell, BPRD, and the spin-offs like Hellboy & The BPRD and Abe Sapien.

So Abe has a book. Does Liz have one? I liked her in the movie.

Also I think Lobster Johnson is a Hellboy thing?

I feel like hellboy is this whole big universe and one massive black spot in my comic reading. It is really daunting.

DCBS updated. No new statues that I want. They have the Green Arrow / Canary statue, but $170 is a bit more than I'd be willing to pay for it. I'll definitely pre-order the Cheetah and Killer Frost Bombshells when they go up, though.

So Abe has a book. Does Liz have one? I liked her in the movie.

Also I think Lobster Johnson is a Hellboy thing?

I feel like hellboy is this whole big universe and one massive black spot in my comic reading. It is really daunting.

I don't think Liz has ever had an ongoing but she's a major character in BPRD. And yeah, Lobster Johnson is from Hellboy. He had (has?) an ongoing too.

It is pretty damn massive so I feel you. I've read five (almost six) of these big books and I feel like I've only just scratched the surface for the most part. But I'm really enjoying it and I love folklore/mythology kinda stuff so it's right up my alley.
Tokyo Ghost WIP. Amazing.
Whoa that's sick

Messi

DCBS updated. No new statues that I want. They have the Green Arrow / Canary statue, but $170 is a bit more than I'd be willing to pay for it. I'll definitely pre-order the Cheetah and Killer Frost Bombshells when they go up, though.

Lol at the Harley Garage price, and the bombshell repaint for joker and harley is so lazy looking.

Gonna have to think about the Arrow Canary statue as it looks great but it is pricey.

Lol at the Harley Garage price, and the bombshell repaint for joker and harley is so lazy looking.

Gonna have to think about the Arrow Canary statue as it looks great but it is pricey.

Isn't the Arrow/Canary statue a reissue? I'm pretty sure that's an older piece.

How about that Jungle Girl statue? XD

Messi

Isn't the Arrow/Canary statue a reissue? I'm pretty sure that's an older piece.

How about that Jungle Girl statue? XD

I haven't seen it before but it could be. Still love how it looks.

After seeing the Joker and Harley alex ross repaint I think that doesnt look great. They original was lovely.

Jungle girl lol.

Not getting Poison? Also what is up with the price on those LBP statues loooool

Messi

I ordered Poison day 0. If you order bishoujos from Japanese retailers, you get them a month earlier. That's how I roll.

I was in a comic shop today and they had two Rogue Bishoujos for
$450
. TWO OF THEM. I was like ...what would freeza want me to do?

this one

Its so pretty, but that is silly money. But I love that outfit. #TeamJacket

I was in a comic shop today and they had two Rogue Bishoujos for
$450
. TWO OF THEM. I was like ...what would freeza want me to do?

Real talk - No matter how rare or uncommon a bishoujo is, I would never pay more than $100 for any of them. I love the series (it's my favorite) but they're not worth more than that.

Also, was it the one with the regular jacket or the trench coat?

Messi

Real talk - No matter how rare or uncommon a bishoujo is, I would never pay more than $100 for any of them. I love the series (it's my favorite) but they're not worth more than that.

Also, was it the one with the regular jacket or the trench coat?

I believe it was both.

SILLY MONEY.

Edit: I assume the trenchcoat is rare?

I believe it was both.

SILLY MONEY.

That tends to happen with bishoujos, though. Kotobukiya makes a fuckton of them, and you can usually pick them up at your leisure (aside from SDCC/NYCC exclusives and such), but once they get scarce, the prices just skyrocket beyond reason.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You exaggerate.

Enjoy some red:

The first picture was better ;)

No, I was relaxed, I just think its stupid to rely on the shitty sides of Star Wars Fandom.
But hey, if you honestly believe them that three epic masterpieces of cinema are ruined because people are butthurt that Han Solo no longer shots first and the hated incarnation of the best movie villain of all times (I am sorry - You wont see him anyway when you skip Star Wars) appears for two seconds on screen, ok.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So I enjoyed the Marvel Reading Club issues of Ghost Rider so much I decided to just start from issue 1 and go from there. I just finished issues 6 & 7 I believe. They were drawn by Richard Corben. It was QUITE a departure from the previous artwork and I didn't care for it at first, but eventually I came to realize what an inspired choice he was.

His history with genre comics makes him a pretty neat artist to have a crack at a character like Ghost Rider. What I found particularly interesting, once I put my finger on it, was how much the artwork made me think back to the old "Chick Tracts". The whole little two issue "Hell to Pay" arc (correct terminology?) from the writing to the artwork really had the tone of a Chick Tract. Has anyone else who's read these issues had a similar revelation?

Yousefb

Just read Infinity Gauntlet #3. Terrific, might be my favorite Secret Wars tie in at the moment. I have not read any cosmic stuff since I wrapped up the DnA run so all the references, characters, settings etc are a blast to me.

At first I didn't understand why a NOVA officer wouldn't know who the hell Thanos is but as I read on it became obvious the characters in this "world" are pretty much all new to each other, with the exception of a couple. I loved Groot's origin of "I am Groot". The book still has some of the best I've ever seen. Love the colors, characters, expressions, backgrounds, all of it is just so outstanding. Being from the perspective of a sneaky Thanos made this issue a lot of fun, particular loved the moment in the ship where he tells Anwen about the weakness of family.
Cant wait for the next issue.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That Mighty Thor cover is goddamn amazing

Messi

Speaking of Daredevil. I just got a notification about this coming next week:

HOT ANN NOCENTI CLASSICS (That I hear aint bad so I am gonna buy it)

Publisher: MARVEL COMICS
(W) Ann Nocenti, Steve Lightle (A) Various (CA) Joe Madureira
Daredevil's craziest ex-girlfriend, Typhoid Mary, stars in her own twisted fairy tale! Peek inside the crowded head of Mary Walker - whose dissociative identity disorder, and mutant talents for telekinesis and pyrokinesis, are a deadly combination. But could the psionic psycho become a force for good when she fights for women too powerless to defend themselves? Typhoid's appetite for vengeance draws the attention of Ghost Rider, while her growing contempt for men places Daredevil and Wolverine in the line of fire. Meanwhile, it's bad news for Peter Parker when he befriends the benign Mary, only for her newly discovered third identity to manifest itself. Spidey sure won't want to say Bloody Mary three times! Collecting TYPHOID #1-4, MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS (1988) #150-151 and SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN (1976) #213-214 - plus material from MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS (1988) #109-116 and #123-130, and GIRL COMICS (2010) #3.
EXPLICIT CONTENT

WHERE DO I PLACE MY $34.99 SPACE BUCKS MARVEL!

That design...

Typhoid Mary looked best in the Bendis / Maleev run, I think.

EXPLICIT NOCENTI CONTENT.

CO CREATED BY ANN NOCENTI.

hear me out, what if the reason marvel are putting this out is because Nocenti is back with them and will be on a new book?

Messi pls, do not confuse your hopes with everyone else's.

More likely, Marvel saw all your posts about buying Nocenti Catwoman and Marvel decided to jump at the opportunity since there's someone out there who will still buy Nocenti comics. :D

Messi

I agree with you Freeza about Maleev Typhoid Mary (Co created by Ann Nocenti) but I am pretty sure the main picture of that run is lewd NSFW content.

People usually say her Daredevil is good so I am sure I am not the only one excited for this.

Was I the only one who noticed that DC quietly pulled the Klarion trade release and now it's not coming out.

EXPLICIT NOCENTI CONTENT.

CO CREATED BY ANN NOCENTI.

hear me out, what if the reason marvel are putting this out is because Nocenti is back with them and will be on a new book?

Typhoid Mary looked best in the Bendis / Maleev run, I think.

Messi pls, do not confuse your hopes with everyone else's.

More likely, Marvel saw all your posts about buying Nocenti Catwoman and Marvel decided to jump at the opportunity since there's someone out there who will still buy Nocenti comics. :D
She had a pretty cool punk look in Hawkeye vs. Deadpool
So is Nocenti actually a good writer? She seems to have written for a lot of different characters. She's been around. Gotta be doing something right?
Right?

I'll assume mediocre until further notice

Messi

She had a pretty cool punk look in Hawkeye vs. Deadpool
So is Nocenti actually a good writer? She seems to have written for a lot of different characters. She's been around. Gotta be doing something right?
Right?

I'll assume mediocre until further notice

As I said. Most people say she used to be good a long time ago but in recent years her work has been rough.

Messi

What is it in particular that she does that makes her writing bad? Dialogue? Characters? Pacing? Plot?

Her Catwoman run was so incredibly random, the dialogue was stilted and she repeatedly showed that she didn't get what made her character compelling. At a certain point it was clear she was just throwing shit at the wall to see what stuck.

Read her New52 Catwoman run. You'll see. My god, you'll see.

Her Catwoman run was so incredibly random, the dialogue was stilted and she repeatedly showed that she didn't get what made her character compelling. At a certain point it was clear she was just throwing shit at the wall to see what stuck.

Hmmm...I'll take your words for it. I've never found Selina all that interesting to me, so I've never been compelled to read her. I've shared this opinion before when I first started posting here and I was suggested the Brubaker run. Still haven't given it a read, though.

Top Bottom