• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Messi

My personal favorite page as I can't post the entire final arc on here (as a whole the race of thieves was a beautiful disaster). But this page from the underground arc beats it all.

snapshot-78739545.jpg

Not really digging the third arc (starts with #9) of Captain Marvel (2012) so far. Feels way too soon to be pulling this kind of story and a tad trite.

I just finished the first season a little while ago. It's super fun, tho. It's like Asteroids had a baby with Macross.

I'm on Season 4 and it gets super fucked. I do enjoy the core mechanics, especially the
robot transformation
. I just hope they create something like an endless mode, cause I have a feeling that despite having 5 seasons and some random level design there won't be much replayability once you beat it.

Shaanyboi

Banned
She had a pretty cool punk look in Hawkeye vs. Deadpool
So is Nocenti actually a good writer? She seems to have written for a lot of different characters. She's been around. Gotta be doing something right?
Right?

I'll assume mediocre until further notice
As far as her work on Catwoman... if Genevieve Valentine hadn't taken over (correction: saved) that book, Catwoman would've been ruined forever. Nocenti's recent shit has been terrible.

Not really digging the third arc (starts with #9) of Captain Marvel (2012) so far. Feels way too soon to be pulling this kind of story and a tad trite.

Issue #7 is technically where the arc begins. #9 is just where they really start getting into the actual meat of the plot. And I don't know if you're reading trades or singles, but once you get to #13, just get the Avengers: Enemy Within trade.

Issue #7 is technically where the arc begins. #9 is just where they really start getting into the actual meat of the plot. And I don't know if you're reading trades or singles, but once you get to #13, just get the Avengers: Enemy Within trade.
Reading through Marvel Unlimited. Had a hard time finding Avengers: Enemy Within #1 on there until Google saved the day.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
My personal favorite page as I can't post the entire final arc on here (as a whole the race of thieves was a beautiful disaster). But this page from the underground arc beats it all.

That's incredible. How could anyone possibly think that was a good Catwoman story?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Whats the Marvel Reading Club?
It's actually one of the features of Unlimited I like most. On the "Featured" section of the app and website there's a mention of it. Basically there's a selection of issues they suggest you read and then on the "This Week in Marvel" podcast (I think once a month) they'll have a section at the end where they discuss the creative team, the story, the characters and their backgrounds. July's selection was Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider issues, this month's is Drax the Destroyer.

For somebody, like me, who's new to comics and very new to Superhero comics it's a great way to combine my love of podcasts with my new interest in comics and learn a bunch and get introduced to new shit. I honestly would love a weekly 1+ hour show where I just had a reading list and got to hear smart, well-read people discussing the selections.

Nobody on ComicGAF is reading Infinity Gauntlet? I'm surprised, it's great.

I just finished reading it. Definitely my favourite of the three issues so far and I'd say it's my favourite Secret Wars tie-in along with Thors. I loved the proper introduction of Thanos and
Groot. "The tree won't shut up...I will kill it first."

And now for Renew Your Vows #3..

Enjoy some of these Ann Nocenti Katana gems,

That is how people talk, after all.
Last one.

Lol
Joker did it during death of the family
This does not make sense to me
Didn't source from a yaoi doujinshi? I am disappointed BK
There are some prices to pay in this world, and your disappointment is one of the prices I'd pay in order to maintain my sanity.

Boogiepop

Catching up on this thread again... You all better have at least seen Back to the Future.
I've still never seen Wizard of Oz or Sleeping Beauty to be honest, though, so I don't really have room to talk...

Also, definitely enjoying reading through Fraction Iron Man.

Owzers

I'm still waiting out almost all secret wars tie-ins to hit MU like a person with a comics budget. I will read infinity gauntlet one day and my opinion of it will be relevant....to other mu readers. It's this kind of wait-shaming that is going to force me to make a separate community thread on a six month delay.

Hey Comics-Gaf, Hopefully I'll be posting here more often. After being a casual comics fan, the type of fan that reads a handful of the big name trade paper backs a year as well as checking out nearly all the big film adaptations and stuff, I'm trying to get more into following on-going series.

I'm starting with Batman stuff, as that's my favorite, but I'm interested in reading all kinds of things. What do you guys suggest as some of the best resources for following comics, favorite sites for reviews, the best comic book podcasts? Any other tips in general for getting into this stuff? :)

Owzers

Hey Comics-Gaf, Hopefully I'll be posting here more often. After being a casual comics fan, the type of fan that reads a handful of the big name trade paper backs a year as well as checking out nearly all the big film adaptations and stuff, I'm trying to get more into following on-going series.

I'm starting with Batman stuff, as that's my favorite, but I'm interested in reading all kinds of things. What do you guys suggest as some of the best resources for following comics, favorite sites for reviews, the best comic book podcasts? Any other tips in general for getting into this stuff? :)

I browse IGN and comicbookresources reviews, read publisher solicitations each month, and read Comics-GAF all the time. Most of the new books in the solicits are already announced at comic book convention panels, so most things aren't a surprise by the time the solicits hit.

I browse IGN and comicbookresources reviews, read publisher solicitations each month, and read Comics-GAF all the time. Most of the new books in the solicits are already announced at comic book convention panels, so most things aren't a surprise by the time the solicits hit.

IGN's comic reviews are surprisingly good.

omgkitty

I was looking at the announcement for Miracleman, and I'm confused. Are they rewriting original stories or are they just framing them as taking place in older eras?

I check out solicits, the Mary sue, comicsalliance, here, and my recent favorite sktchd

Omgkitty: that looks like a remastered reprint of the start of Gaiman and Buckinghams run.

Boogiepop

Oh right, there was a question regarding Viz manga a bit ago. Not sure what the sale includes/what's up digitally, but to add to some of what's been said already:
Eyeshield 21. Freaking awesome manga. I ignored sports manga for a long time since I'm not into sports, but boy am I glad I picked this one up. Same artist for One-Punch Man, plus a ton of great characters.

For something a little different that doesn't usually come up: March Story. Technically a manwha or whatever since it's from Korea. But it's really good, and REALLY pretty, plus not too long. Actually kind of reminiscent of D Grayman to a degree that I would be surprised if it wasn't inspired by that, but it's its own thing and again, fantastic.

One I haven't read in a while but recall really liking: Hoshin Engi. A battle manga technically, but again very nice to look at, and more focused on strategy and wits than power.

Also haven't read in a while, but I remember it being hilarious: if you're looking for a "dirty" comedy, I remember really, really loving Pretty Face.

Oh, and while I'm thinking of it, it's Vertical, not Viz, but I've been really finding Ajin: Demi-Human to be totally amazing and would totally recommend giving it a look to anybody looking for a new manga series to pick up.

omgkitty

I check out solicits, the Mary sue, comicsalliance, here, and my recent favorite sktchd

Omgkitty: that looks like a remastered reprint of the start of Gaiman and Buckinghams run.

Okay looking at Neil Gaiman's past work online, that makes a lot more sense now. I don't know anything about Miracleman, and it looked interesting. Shame none of it's on MU. Them essentially remastering an old comic and releasing it as a monthly book seems kinda weird to me. Why not just put out a trade?

Messi

Catching up on this thread again... You all better have at least seen Back to the Future.
I've still never seen Wizard of Oz or Sleeping Beauty to be honest, though, so I don't really have room to talk...

Also, definitely enjoying reading through Fraction Iron Man.

Nope, never seen those. I feel like my parents sheltered me from movies :(

Finished Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 1 Hardcover. I loved this. I know it gets shit on but I found it really entertaining. Bendis just writes books that appeal to me. The art is stellar throughout. Pichelli is a goddess. Mike del Mundo did the Gamora issue of tomorrow's Avengers and it is stunning.

I would do horrible things to get a Gamora and Angela Team-Up book by Bendis and Pichelli.

I was thinking for Guardians 2 what would stop them using Gamoras space suit. It is awesome and I think it would work well on film. I would buy the shit out if a hot toy with that costume.

I also think Angela would be amazing in that movie. If marvel are intent on pushing her she fits in with the Guardians and it would help with Gamora in the sequel.

Owzers

I checked out the 8 page Omega Men preview and it seemed like awful comics. I still don't doubt comics-gaf on it, but
some rambling dialog about alpha and omega and then blurred out panels of maybe killing Kyle Rayner seemed like a bad attempt at stirring up talk.

Question about Hellboy Wake the Devil. In the dialogue, they mention events that take place in The Chained Coffin. Is that a prequel or was it published first? Kind of confused why it would be in something published later if they had a name for the story.

Okay looking at Neil Gaiman's past work online, that makes a lot more sense now. I don't know anything about Miracleman, and it looked interesting. Shame none of it's on MU. Them essentially remastering an old comic and releasing it as a monthly book seems kinda weird to me. Why not just put out a trade?
Marvel spent a lot of time and effort to get the rights to Miracleman. It was Joey Qs passion project. It's never going on unlimited haha

Honestly, I recommend everyone read Miracleman. About as essential as reading The Dark Knight. Alan Moore wrote the ever loving shit out of it before handing it off to Gaiman. Since Morrison had an annual for it just published, that means three of the very best English comics writers got a chance on the character. Just missing Ellis haha
Nope, never seen those. I feel like my parents sheltered me from movies :(

Finished Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 1 Hardcover. I loved this. I know it gets shit on but I found it really entertaining. Bendis just writes books that appeal to me. The art is stellar throughout. Pichelli is a goddess. Mike del Mundo did the Gamora issue of tomorrow's Avengers and it is stunning.

I would do horrible things to get a Gamora and Angela Team-Up book by Bendis and Pichelli.

I was thinking for Guardians 2 what would stop them using Gamoras space suit. It is awesome and I think it would work well on film. I would buy the shit out if a hot toy with that costume.

I also think Angela would be amazing in that movie. If marvel are intent on pushing her she fits in with the Guardians and it would help with Gamora in the sequel.
Bendis Gotg is better if you don't care about what came before. It's kind of a hollow but fun book with tremendous artists rotating on it.

BTW I convinced my wife to dress up as Angela for Halloween. My wife's name? Angela. hair color? Red. Tight butt? Check.

frye

^^ Milligan got a stab at it too in the annual (but seeing as Moz is Scottish, "three of the very best English comics writers" still stands)

Shame none of it's on MU.

Why not just put out a trade?

It cost them a shit ton of money to untangle the legal mess that was Miracleman and they're not going to give it to you in a nice hardback until they've squeezed every single dollar they can from reprinting it in every format they can

omgkitty

^^ Milligan got a stab at it too in the annual (but seeing as Moz is Scottish, "three of the very best English comics writers" still stands)

It cost them a shit ton of money to untangle the legal mess that was Miracleman and they're not going to give it to you in a nice hardback until they've squeezed every single dollar they can from reprinting it in every format they can

I didn't realize they weren't already readily available outside of what Marvel has put out, so I guess it makes sense. At least they're giving them the treatment.

Top Bottom