• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Hagi

Haven't read it myself but consensus is yes.

Cool I think I might get it at some point there's a lot I want to buy right now.

Wait I can't tell is Dave Stewart a good colorist
https://instagram.com/p/6Fh5Z8HZoH/

He certainly stays inside the lines! I've only read a little of Plague of Frogs before deciding to go with the mignolaverse reading order but from the little I've seen his work is great.

Commenting on the Stegman art I'm not a huge fan but damn he's the first person I've ever noticed to show Peters toes in his Spidey suit. That's a great little detail.

Dont Worry, Star Wars will
Be great

mHfQ8kG.gif

omgkitty

Get thee to the Mignolaverse.

Dave Stewart is the single most accomplished colorist of our generation. THe first few Hellboy arcs are pre-Stewart and boy can you tell. But this just makes you sit up and cheer when he does show up. And he handles every single Mignolaverse book (and Baltimore if you're DTRB).

National treasure.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm still not there yet. Only read the first 3 or 4 trades of Hellboy so far.

Hagi

I hate that SW is a limited series is over and when SW is over we cant use this gag anymore.
Its always quiet funny.

I'm reading through SW right now and by Doom it's nice to see Nick Fury in action. It's always nice to see where Quake originated from as well. Such a good team book. Hopefully some of them especially fury appear in SW at some point or maybe they already have.

When does SW start anyway? The little blurb on some comic site was interesting.

Edit: Oh wait Quake originated in SW not SW? learning all new things today.

I'm reading through SW right now and by Doom it's nice to see Nick Fury in action. It's always nice to see where Quake originated from as well. Such a good team book. Hopefully some of them especially fury appear in SW at some point or maybe they already have.

I hate you so much

GAMEPROFF

Banned

I prefer the on issue where The Hulk saved all the Heros by holding the mountain.
And seeing Spidey taking out all X-Man was a great fanboy moment aswell!

Hagi

I prefer the on issue where The Hulk saved all the Heros by holding the mountain.
And seeing Spidey taking out all X-Man was a great fanboy moment aswell!

Oh sorry I was talking about SW not SW. That book is pretty cool though I've been meaning to read Deadpool's SW or even Spider-man's SW. Have you read SW 2? never really hear that getting mentioned much.

East of West is great, get the hardcover from IST. My only gripe is some of the lore in the world.

What kind of issues is there with the lore if you don't mind sharing?

I took a look at IST and when you include International shipping it's about the same as Amazon UK. Shame because those prices are amazing.

ReAxion

Wicked + Divine #13

Man, Tula Lotay art is so pretty. But story wise
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?! KILL OFF EVERY DECENT CHARACTER AND SEE WHAT'S LEFT!? FUCK THIS BOOK.

They only have 2 years :)

Not really sure, Jeb was bland, Cruz was okay, Carson was made the pro-torture "argument" but still seemed like he's only there because he walked through the wrong door, Rubio is Paul Ryan but feisty, Huckabee says our military exists to kill people and break stuff and is not a social experiment ( for letting women/gays/transgender people in), Walker can stand upright, I like Kasich, and Trump mostly tanked with Fox completely out to get him. Christie and Rand fought and Christie brought up hugging the families of 9/11 victims so obviously he won that one and we don't need privacy anymore. Scott Walker is against abortion even if the mother's life is at risk and i'm unsure how that dweeb gets to decide who lives in a small government world but oh welllllll.

Trump 2016..maybe...i guess.

This is the best sillymonkey review.

Is East of West good? I haven't really touched Hickmans Image stuff but I had a leaf through volume 1 at the book store and it looks cool so was thinking about buying year one.

It's badass.

East of West is great, get the hardcover from IST. My only gripe is some of the lore in the world.

Second best right here.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Closing in on the end of Sandman and stuff is really starting to go off. The whole thing is basically perfect, but if I could change anything it would be Mazikeen's speech pattern. I know that show only has half a face but I can only get what she's saying 30% of the time and it really slams on the breaks when I have to spend 30 seconds trying to figure out what she's talking about.

I'm pretty close to the six months MU buffer on everything now :(

Yesterday I actually found myself perusing the Feb COMICS! OT to see what everyone's reactions were to what I had just read (which was Avengers 41... the one with the Ultimates #1 cover).

Mudcrab

Is East of West good? I haven't really touched Hickmans Image stuff but I had a leaf through volume 1 at the book store and it looks cool so was thinking about buying year one.

Get Manhattan Projects. Not enough people read Manhattan Projects.

Owzers

Oh sorry I was talking about SW not SW. That book is pretty cool though I've been meaning to read Deadpool's SW or even Spider-man's SW. Have you read SW 2? never really hear that getting mentioned much.

What kind of issues is there with the lore if you don't mind sharing?

I took a look at IST and when you include International shipping it's about the same as Amazon UK. Shame because those prices are amazing.

East of West throws you into a world without much explanation to the factions, over time they elaborate on each side but i didn't really like how that unfolded. I also took issue with constant name dropping of "the word" and "the message", it's basically their version of the bible but i don't like how Hickman incorporates it, he seems to use both phrases interchangeably and that confuses me. I consider these mostly minor gripes despite how prevalent the word/message thing is, the overall story is still worth it.

Yesterday I actually found myself perusing the Feb COMICS! OT to see what everyone's reactions were to what I had just read (which was Avengers 41... the one with the Ultimates #1 cover).

This is why when i get back into MU we are going to make our own OT thread based on a six month delay. Why go back to the February OT when we can make our own February OT!

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

That's a really good idea. It's like the internet commentary section of The X-Files Files.

Ok, before anyone says it, I know I need to read it and I'm going to but...

How similar are Fear Agent and Black Science? Haven't read the latter, but design-wise they seem to have a lot in common.

Hagi

Get Manhattan Projects. Not enough people read Manhattan Projects.

I'll get round to it at some point for sure. I'm in situation where I'm adding more to my backlog than I'm reading at this point.

East of West throws you into a world without much explanation to the factions, over time they elaborate on each side but i didn't really like how that unfolded. I also took issue with constant name dropping of "the word" and "the message", it's basically their version of the bible but i don't like how Hickman incorporates it, he seems to use both phrases interchangeably and that confuses me. I consider these mostly minor gripes despite how prevalent the word/message thing is, the overall story is still worth it.

Thanks for elaborating I did notice while thumbing through volume 1 Death mentioned "The message" a few times. Definitely going to get the hardcover and start reading it tomorrow it seems really interesting from the little I've gleamed about it.

I'll get round to it at some point for sure. I'm in situation where I'm adding more to my backlog than I'm reading at this point.

It happens. Thankfully, eventually you start hitting at least periods where you'll decrease your backlog if only purely because you'll start running out of available things you have even a vague interest in reading!

Welp, got muh grendels, doom patrols and x-statixes ready for tonight and tomorrow's classes. Shit better be good.

Also booted arcanum to have a go at it. Got raped by a single wolf. #oldschool

Well, then your only solution is to read faster than new comic content is produced. Eventually you'll catch up on everything ever written that's possible to read and it will be smooth sailing from there.

And then you branch out into mangos, manhwas, and manhuas.

Owzers

I ended up just dropping a ton because i'd spend all my comic reading time on mediocre monthlies. Now i only spend some of my time reading mediocre monthlies and i can get around to mediocre trades and digital comics!

nicholsonnodswhilefapping.gif

I've legit been avoiding playing that game for close to a decade now. Every time i've tried, played for 15min and forgot to ever boot it again. Always worry that ehrmagerd maybe this fan patch aint properly balanced and my dwarven gunsmith will be creamed like people said it would happen with 1.0

Holy hell, I did not know these were things.

backlogintensifies.gif

Finished Bendis' DD run.

Kind of wish the run had a more solid conclusion, but what can ya do? Still, it was really good. Now, if I'm not mistaken doesn't Brubaker's run continue off of where Bendis left off?

Oh lawd so many SWs. Changes the game exponentially.

Boogiepop

Finished Bendis' DD run.

Kind of wish the run had a more solid conclusion, but what can ya do? Still, it was really good. Now, if I'm not mistaken doesn't Brubaker's run continue off of where Bendis left off?
Yup, and it's also really, really good. Definitely give it a look.

If I say I read comics to people I still get weird reactions so I usually say graphic novels. I wish comics had the popularity they have in the US here.

Hagi

The Stalk is cool, can't believe Saga is three years old already.

So i just ordered Low volume 1 and threw in the deluxe version of Revival because I'm sure I read it's good. I hope it's good.

Hagi

Changed my mind and bought the Deluxe version of East of West and Saga instead. Fuck Image is my crack. I still want to get Rumble, Shutter, Low, Manhattan Projects, Zero, Nailbiter, second volume of Black Science, more Sex Criminals, Copperhead, God Hates Astronauts, Lazarus and probably Southern Bastards amongst others.

wB7PMIs.gif

So much to read, I love this hobby.

Top Bottom