• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

arkon

Half the excitement for some of the Marvel releases seems like they could have literally announced anything and a subset of people would be excited for it. It's like... where was the excitement before? I've never heard people clamoring for these characters but apparently they're popular (except when it actually comes to book sales... or having a reason to talk about them.)

The creative teams. If I'm a fan of their previous work I'll likely follow them to whatever book they're announced to be working on even if they feature characters I've not read about before.

Harley Quinn #0,#1: Started this yesterday and it seems to be quite good fun. I really liked what they did with #0 with the different artists. Art in #1 is a bit iffy though.

Messi

Harley Quinn #0,#1: Started this yesterday and it seems to be quite good fun. I really liked what they did with #0 with the different artists. Art in #1 is a bit iffy though.

Chad Hardin from #1 is the main series artist and they have a few different fill in artists for annuals and such. Chad is good usually.

#2 is my favorite issue of the series. That issue the art is shared with Roux who imo is the better artist.

Tizoc

Because this will be girly hijinks Blade.

It didn't work when it was dudebro hijinx what makes you think girly hijinks will make it worth $4.99 an issue :V

People like the movie(s) and are hoping that there's a comic that will be as good

Kinda weird that they barely ever tried after the movie

This has been the case for decades, and still there is hardly a Blade book that's worth reading outside of Captain Britain and M13.
Now MAYBE his pre-movie books are worth it but I haven't heard much talk about them at all; were any of them worth reading?

I'll give the Blade comics this much though: Vampire Spiderman
14505storystory_full-8209185..jpg

And apparently this is what Blade looked like in the 90s Spiderman cartoon
Spidermanep22.jpg

JC come on mang share your wisdom, there's got to be an actual worthwhile Blade comic series, right? Right?

Hagi

Hmm finally started getting into Secret Wars even though I've been buying it since it started. Honestly I'd be fine if this was my goodbye to Marvel for a while. With what they have going here resetting everything and going back to a somewhat normal Marvel universe just doesn't seem that appealing. None of the revealed post secret wars books really scream out must read.

Siege is really good, probably my favourite of the tie ins I've read so far. I honestly wish all this stuff could just continue on it's the most interesting and varied the whole line has been since I can remember.

Hey ComicGAF! I'm just playing through The Wolf Among Us and really enjoying the art style and characters. Is there a recommended place to start reading the comics? Maybe some kind of compilation? I've seen quite a few of those on Amazon...

Hey ComicGAF! I'm just playing through The Wolf Among Us and really enjoying the art style and characters. Is there a recommended place to start reading the comics? Maybe some kind of compilation? I've seen quite a few of those on Amazon...

The game was based on the Fables series, which starts here.

Hardcover

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/FABLES-DELUXE-EDITION-VOL-1-HC-(MR)/MAY090235

Softcover

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140123755X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Overall, it will cost about the same buying either edition (hardcovers collect more issues). Only problem with the Hardcovers is that they are released more slowly. The series has already been completed in softcovers but only 2/3rs done in hardcovers.

Hagi

There's a wolf among us series that DC were doing that I think is set after the game that might be worth looking into if you want more of the game.

Ugh Secret Wars #4 is the best single issue comic I've ever read. Hickman is doing some next level comics here. Loved the Phoenix exchange, as short as it was lol going to be sad when this ends.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Hmm finally started getting into Secret Wars even though I've been buying it since it started. Honestly I'd be fine if this was my goodbye to Marvel for a while. With what they have going here resetting everything and going back to a somewhat normal Marvel universe just doesn't seem that appealing. None of the revealed post secret wars books really scream out must read.

Siege is really good, probably my favourite of the tie ins I've read so far. I honestly wish all this stuff could just continue on it's the most interesting and varied the whole line has been since I can remember.

Marvel Zombies has been my favorite tie in so far. I really didn't expect that at all. Elsa is hilarious though.

Ugh Secret Wars #4 is the best single issue comic I've ever read. Hickman is doing some next level comics here. Loved the Phoenix exchange, as short as it was lol going to be sad when this ends.

I just want to let everyone know that I bought Secret Wars because of Hagi and I am going in fully knowing I'm going to be disappointed.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
BPRD Garden of Souls was pretty sad, especially for Abe :/

Johann reminds me of Kipp. Maybe it's because Kipp had that avatar of him for a period of time. Watching him hit on girls is great.

Wow, BPRD Killing Ground was fantastic. It's awesome to see things all tying together. It's pretty incredible how a small flashback ends up being such a major thing in this particular story. Great ending too. It may be my favorite BPRD story so far.

And fuck yeah, Lobster Johnson!

Your posts are making me jealous that I'm not reading BPRD right now. :(
I want in on this hype.

I'm sure everyone is probably tired of my constant talking about this, but I really adore this universe and I can't get enough.

No, keep it up! You're giving me good encouragement to keep reading Hellboy! Plus I just enjoy reading good solid hype about Hellboy/BPRD.

Hi guys, today's my birthday!

Haven't been in this month's thread much since I spent a few days at my parents' but I'm back now. Let there be comics!

Happy birthday, man!

I'm sure everyone is probably tired of my constant talking about this, but I really adore this universe and I can't get enough.

If only because I'm jealous as fuck that I don't have the rest of the series already :c

Hi guys, today's my birthday!

Haven't been in this month's thread much since I spent a few days at my parents' but I'm back now. Let there be comics!

Happy birthday!

Hagi

Marvel Zombies has been my favorite tie in so far. I really didn't expect that at all. Elsa is hilarious though.

I haven't read that yet I'm slowly making my way through the tie ins now i'm caught up with the main book. Just finished the first issue of Angela Witch Hunter and thought it was fantastic. Funny and my god that art.

I just want to let everyone know that I bought Secret Wars because of Hagi and I am going in fully knowing I'm going to be disappointed.

I hope you enjoy it. It's really the first time I've felt like an event was an actual event and not just a temporary stopgap before the next big thing 6 months down the line. The tie ins are fantastic as well which is a completely alien concept to me these days. I think the last event that had tie ins I enjoyed was Final Crisis.

I hope you enjoy it. It's really the first time I've felt like an event was an actual event and not just a temporary stopgap before the next big thing 6 months down the line. The tie ins are fantastic as well which is a completely alien concept to me these days. I think the last event that had tie ins I enjoyed was Final Crisis.

I've never not been disappointed in a non-Valiant event. I've really just tried to avoid them all together, but there's too much hype surrounding SW and I live for hype. Can't be avoided.

That "Off Panel" podcast is pretty good ED
Yeah I love it. I think it could improve production wise but the content is great. I think Joe Keating pointed out the host is not one of those guys writing/talking about comics because he wants to write comics. That's a pretty big difference and makes for better discussion

Yeah I love it. I think it could improve production wise but the content is great. I think Joe Keating pointed out the host is not one of those guys writing/talking about comics because he wants to write comics. That's a pretty big difference and makes for better discussion

Does that mean it gets raw and real?

There was a need to rerelease Miracleman because there was no way to get a legitimate copy for decades. I agree it is pricey though. Also, I think the CMX versions are censored.

There was a need to rerelease Miracleman because there was no way to get a legitimate copy for decades. I agree it is pricey though. Also, I think the CMX versions are censored.

I agree with reprinting the collections, but this is really silly. They know the series is hard to find so they say fuck it, we'll touch up the art a bit, release the missing issues, and charge them a buttload.

At least Bloodshot made the cut

Oh god, I just realized that. Even less than uninspired.

Okay, so I'm just past the end of Superior, Spider Verse is just starting, and Silk was just introduced.

Question: why, exactly, does Peter feel he shouldn't do it with Silk?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Well I think Winick's Power Girl lost me halfway through his third issue. Blackmailing one of her most loyal employee's so he'll become her computer hacker seems so out of character.

omgkitty

I finally decided to start reading The Wake which I picked up on sale a while ago, and damn Sean Murphy and Matt Hollingsworth are a perfect combination. The art is absolutely gorgeous and has me even more excited for Tokyo Ghost now. I should probably check out Chrononauts too.

It's only recently that I really started to understand just how important a good colorist is. There are some books that I've read by artists I like, but I don't end up caring for the art because I hate the coloring. The best example that comes to mind for me is Adrian Alphona's work on Runaways. I love his art for Ms. Marvel, but can't stand it in The Runaways, and I think a lot of that has to with the coloring. Of course, the character designs are super early 2000's, and his art has evolved over time to become much more detailed, but still. Those early issues are ROUGH.

Hagi

Is East of West good? I haven't really touched Hickmans Image stuff but I had a leaf through volume 1 at the book store and it looks cool so was thinking about buying year one.

I finally decided to start reading The Wake which I picked up on sale a while ago, and damn Sean Murphy and Matt Hollingsworth are a perfect combination. The art is absolutely gorgeous and has me even more excited for Tokyo Ghost now. I should probably check out Chrononauts too.

It's only recently that I really started to understand just how important a good colorist is. There are some books that I've read by artists I like, but I don't end up caring for the art because I hate the coloring. The best example that comes to mind for me is Adrian Alphona's work on Runaways. I love his art for Ms. Marvel, but can't stand it in The Runaways, and I think a lot of that has to with the coloring. Of course, the character designs are super early 2000's, and his art has evolved over time to become much more detailed, but still. Those early issues are ROUGH.

Get thee to the Mignolaverse.

Dave Stewart is the single most accomplished colorist of our generation. THe first few Hellboy arcs are pre-Stewart and boy can you tell. But this just makes you sit up and cheer when he does show up. And he handles every single Mignolaverse book (and Baltimore if you're DTRB).

National treasure.

Top Bottom