• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Squire

Banned
Who's that in your avatar?

Helen Cobb from Captain Marvel #6, if I got the number right. It's Emma Rios art.

It's on my list. Definitely one I'm going to give a shot. I like Kate or at least the 1602 version of her.

You read Secret Wars Journal #1, huh? You'd probably like 616 Kate just fine. Apparently Lemire isn't using the 1602 version, but we'll see. I hope there's an interview about that book soon.

PsychBat!

Banned
4732484-topbooks.jpg

Congrats, Ed! Can you share some details?
Sure. The story is set 10ish years in the future. A lot of governments have fallen due to a very prominent anarchist. The story follows a young super powered woman who is contracted to kill this anarchist.

I basically do everything in the book except color the first chapter. I hope you meant details of the story/book and not something else haha

That's so great!! Is this the one that you were offering for sale in here before?
Yes! I have some physical copies.

How many spacebux are you asking?
64 Rupees
.99 cents

Oh sweet can you say what it's about?
You can actually read it for free at rageagainstthejackal.com. The first two chapters are up on there and like 2 pages of chapter 3. So 50 pages for free if youre into that sort of thing.

When its up on Comixology it'll be in full HD and DRM free. So technically I guess you can download it, print and sell it on your own if thats your thing (looking at you Zombine).

Other topic:

So theres this thing called the Emma Frost Fashion Redesign Project. Basically, people think its silly that Emma Frost is in fetish outfits/lingerie like all the time and they've decided to try and make a couple redesigns of what she should look like when shes teaching vs being the White Queen vs when she's out there fighting. Not all those are great but it does bring out a good point about what Emma Frost usually wears. This was brought up in this CA article that I thought was pretty good,

Here was my submission. I had a lot of fun designing this stuff since its not something Im very good at. I'd love to get more practice in designing and really find out what works and doesnt.

Savitar

Emma wearing revealing outfits made sense since it was basically how she got her way. It's why she was so tricky, yeah she was a telepath that could get into your head and know what your thinking and worse but she could get many people to do what she wanted just by looking the way she did. It's what made her so sneaky, oh someone did something crazy for a hot chick. She could hide what she was and no one would know better.

It's sort of part of her character in many ways, she's an egotist. She wants people to be looking at her. To be better than everyone and for them to know.

Hagi

That sounds cool Ed I'll give it a look when it hits CMX

I liked Emma's outfits during Generation X. She would dress down while teaching classes and such then wear what she wanted in her own free time. I really like her black costume in Uncanny never been a huge fan of her "classic" look.

fauxtrot

Banned
Emma wearing revealing outfits made sense since it was basically how she got her way. It's why she was so tricky, yeah she was a telepath that could get into your head and know what your thinking and worse but she could get many people to do what she wanted just by looking the way she did. It's what made her so sneaky, oh someone did something crazy for a hot chick. She could hide what she was and no one would know better.

It's sort of part of her character in many ways, she's an egotist. She wants people to be looking at her. To be better than everyone and for them to know.

The point people were making weren't about her sexuality or the sexiness of her outfits, it's more about the fact that she's written as someone who's supposed to be very fashionable (and fashion forward, for lack of a better phrase) but her outfits always look like a teenage boy's fantasy rather than something a woman would wear to influence the men around her.

It can (and should) be done without looking ridiculously tacky / borderline out-of-character.

Okay, I'm enjoying Quantum and Woody, but the art is... pretty rough in spots. So many lines on their faces they look like old men, and the anatomy can get kinda...

AGKZxrx.png

Yeah.

Okay, I'm enjoying Quantum and Woody, but the art is... pretty rough in spots. So many lines on their faces they look like old men, and the anatomy can get kinda...

Yeah.

Yeah, I like Tom Fowler's work on the book for the most part, but it's kind of cartoonish and unpolished.

I would still say he's my favorite artist that's worked on the book. While the others like Kano have neater work, I think this fits the tone of the book more.

fauxtrot

Banned
CBR got Alonso to respond to the Hercules controversy.

His response is certainly better than his appallingly condescending response to criticism of the hip-hop covers, but it's difficult to put much stock in this without more concrete evidence that there's actually going to be a push for LGBTQ representation in the ANAD relaunch.

From the article:
"The only implication that shows or suggests that Herc is bisexual is an alternate universe story ("X-Treme X-Men"), two-three scenes in Marvel Universe stories, where other characters speculate about his sexuality, and a Marvel Wikia page that is fan-generated content -- none of which was on Dan's radar or his editor's radar. Had it been, and had they felt there was completing evidence that Herc was bisexual, it's something that they might have explored in their pitch, and it's something that I would read with an open mind. But it wasn't."

His choice of words leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but maybe I'm just looking for more "completing evidence" to be upset.

Squire

Banned
That sounds great, Ed. I'll definitely check out your book when it hits.

The EF project is a great idea! I like some of Emma's outfits. I like seeing different designs for her.

fauxtrot

Banned
Also from the article, regarding GotG's success:
"Did you see what Brian did with "Guardians of the Galaxy" back when a lot of people said, "Rocket Raccoon who"?"

Wow. Dude is seriously attributing the success of that franchise to Brian Michael Bendis' abysmal run on the title rather than Abnett/Lanning or the movie? Gimme a fucking break.

If I ever get to be in charge of marvel, I'm making every one gay. Explicitly so.

I'll kick it off with an event titled Secret Orgies. Half the output will be yaoi. The other? Harem comics.

Vote for Ed/Elnarez for Marvel EiC and vice EiC 2016

Owzers

"Did you see what Brian did with "Guardians of the Galaxy" back when a lot of people said, "Rocket Raccoon who"?"

Wow. Dude is seriously attributing the success of that franchise to Brian Michael Bendis' abysmal run on the title rather than Abnett/Lanning or the movie? Gimme a fucking break.

Bendis wrote that Age of Ultron movie and you refuse to credit him for a racoon? The guy is big.

Blam! Murdered you.

Hagi

The movie and the Abnett/Lanning run was not on his radar when making these comments.

Yeah, I like Tom Fowler's work on the book for the most part, but it's kind of cartoonish and unpolished.

I would still say he's my favorite artist that's worked on the book. While the others like Kano have neater work, I think this fits the tone of the book more.

I'm moving on to volume 2, so I guess I'm gonna put that to the test :p

I like cartoony just fine, really; like, I love Scott Wegener's work on Atomic Robo, and of course Capullo goes without saying, but the way Fowler does faces rubs me the wrong way, and like you said, the lack of polish can be pretty apparent at times.
Those are the Fowler issues!

I love Fowler!!!!!
He's not very good tho.

I'm moving on to volume 2, so I guess I'm gonna put that to the test :p

I like cartoony just fine, really; like, I love Scott Wegener's work on Atomic Robo, and of course Capullo goes without saying, but the way Fowler does faces rubs me the wrong way, and like you said, the lack of polish can be pretty apparent at times.

He's not very good tho.

GlPmC8J.jpg

Agree to disagree.

Yousefb

I think I'm gonna cave and get the first volume of each Remender book. Deadly Class, Low, Black Science, and Fear Agent. Although Fear Agent has a cool looking HC edition and I'm wondering if I should just get that instead of the paperback. If I do that though the others will have to wait as I'm also planning on purchasing Hellboy Library Edition number 1.

So it's basically those four trades plus Hellboy, or Hellboy plus Fear Agent HC.

I've seen some awesome art from him, so I wouldn't be surprised if Valiant's page-rates keep him from being able to take the time to always bring his A-game to their titles.
Valiant page rates are the highest in the industry though? I may be misunderstanding what you are saying

GlPmC8J.jpg

Agree to disagree.

Okay, that's pretty cool.

I've seen some awesome art from him, so I wouldn't be surprised if Valiant's page-rates keep him from being able to take the time to always bring his A-game to their titles.

Very possible. All I know is that this is not a book I'd recommend to somebody looking into his work.

Valiant page rates are the highest in the industry though? I may be misunderstanding what you are saying

I think he was talking page per day rather than dollar per page? At least, that's how I took it.

ElNarez

Banned
From the article:
"The only implication that shows or suggests that Herc is bisexual is an alternate universe story ("X-Treme X-Men"), two-three scenes in Marvel Universe stories, where other characters speculate about his sexuality, and a Marvel Wikia page that is fan-generated content -- none of which was on Dan's radar or his editor's radar. Had it been, and had they felt there was completing evidence that Herc was bisexual, it's something that they might have explored in their pitch, and it's something that I would read with an open mind. But it wasn't."

His choice of words leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but maybe I'm just looking for more "completing evidence" to be upset.

How the fuck is it not on your radar when Greg Pak, who's written the Hercules run you're gonna follow up on and whose work made it so you could do a new Hercules book in the first place, has said on multiple occasions he wrote Hercules under the assumption he was bisexual, because the actual Hercules of greek myth was pretty much bisexual? Like, I get Abnett maybe not checking out the previous runs because the guy's a workhorse and he's always doing something, but, it's your goddamn job as an editor to know that stuff.

There's a chart on this link that will probably give you a good idea of how companies compare
http://sktchd.com/longform/whats-the-life-of-a-comic-artist-like/

I was literally just about to post that.

Now, you may be surprised who came out on top. You may be, but I’m not. As someone who has spoken to Valiant creators and the Valiant team, it has become clear that (a) creators enjoy their experience at Valiant and (b) Valiant believes creators do better work when they are well compensated. Crazy idea, right? The numbers back it up as Valiant had more artists rate them as a 5 than anything else. In fact, they weren’t rated any lower than a 4. That’s impressive, and as a publisher it’s clear they value artists, especially in relation to their peers.

So yeah, it's Valiant that has the highest rates.

fauxtrot

Banned
It's nice that most artists get to sell their original artwork after their comic is published to earn a little extra cash, and a few are making pretty great money doing so. I know Mike Mignola sells his original pages for a minimum of $1000 each, and his covers go for $3000+. That's a lot of scratch, but unfortunately he's probably one of maybe a dozen guys in the industry that have the crazy fanbase to be this profitable.

That whole survey is pretty fascinating. I was just skimming through it, but it gives a lot of insight into the industry. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite sites for comic editorials.

Yousefb

There are only three issues out, you won't break the bank.
Haha obviously it's not due to one book, but everyday or so I keep discovering another comic that looks interesting and I end up subscribing on comixology, that's on top of the trades I get every now and then. I was holding off on Omega Men but i keep hearing positive things about it.

Top Bottom