• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

wozrf9S.gif

ONE... TWO.... THREEEEEEEE.... FOOOOOOUUURURURURURHRRJJRRR!!!

tumblr_n9l0ionqar1tqcwhao1_500.gif

Rumoured Civil War teams are interesting.

Cap
Hawkeye
Falcon
Ant-Man
Winter Soldier
Scarlet Witch

Stark
Vision
Spidey
Black Widow (?)
War Machine
A) Isn't
Black Panther
supposed to be in the movie? Not on those lists
B) The only ones I can't wrap my heads around are Stark's entire team, save for
War Machine
, though we don't any of their motivations for anything yet.

Let's look at this:
Wanda would be on Cap's team due to his trust in her in AoU.
Based on the events of Ant-Man,
Scott would join based on being recruited by Falcon. Falcon and Clint would serve on Cap's side due to loyalty. Clint in particular wasn't exactly fond of Stark's ideas in AoU. Bucky would side with Cap based in personal relationships.

Now let's look at Tony's side:

War Machine only makes sense based purely on his relationship with Tony and his strong government allegiance (assuming he still has it, since AoU shows him going back to War Machine from Iron Patriot).

We don't know much about any motive Vision could have, so I'm at a loss there. Same for Peter. Natasha, though...why would she pick Tony's side? She saw what a large scale monitoring system lead to. She's been a product of that kind of system her entire life. Why would she want that again? I guess it could be argued that the Avengers is essentially SHIELD 2.0 at this point (or 2.1), but even then it doesn't change the fact that she's aware of just how badly this can really go.

Then again, I'm operating off of the idea that this movie is still about superhuman registration and not something else.
How the fuck is it not on your radar when Greg Pak, who's written the Hercules run you're gonna follow up on and whose work made it so you could do a new Hercules book in the first place, has said on multiple occasions he wrote Hercules under the assumption he was bisexual, because the actual Hercules of greek myth was pretty much bisexual? Like, I get Abnett maybe not checking out the previous runs because the guy's a workhorse and he's always doing something, but, it's your goddamn job as an editor to know that stuff.
The Greg Pak run was not on his radar. However had it been, he would have allowed it to enter and stay in his open mind.
I'm only up to Chaos War in my reread, but Pak is either full of it or the most subtle writer in comics, which we know is not the case.

But I'm only up to Chaos War.
How far is Chaos War?
Infinity Gauntlet continues to be awesome. Glad I'm following this one.

I'm absolutely loving Thanos in this. He's been one of my favorite Marvel characters for a while now and his role in this story is great. And Thanos wearing the ripped up, anime style cloak? That's my shit.

It's pretty great, though the fact that
nobody knows each other is jarring. The Novas don't know of Thanos? Only Star Lord and Gamora know each other? Drax is a...Nova? Or something? Groot is literally just being found?
Very jarring, but very cool. Especially this Thanos is mentioned in another book (
Siege
), so that's cool.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Oh fuck, Kaptara is crazy good.

How did the Chip Zdongski went from being the SexCrim artist to the funniest writer in the industry? Goddamn.

He published some stuff, started writing and editing a couple of indie series, then his publisher absconded with thousands of dollars owed to all parties and left him to explain it to writers and artists for years to come. Then he almost sold a series to Antarctic Press (even slept on Ben Dunn's floor), but the artist went insane when pressured to put out six pages to show Ben he could do serial work. Worked on a series for the folks who do Dawn, but half way into producing the issue the artist went nuts and they scrapped the project. Started working on an indie book and the artist went nuts and quit.

Then he decided he needed to make some money.
I don't know what it is but some artists are fragile af. Sorry to hear about all that. Sounds like a lot of bad luck. Hope the writer is still writing whoever he may be ;)

I don't know what it is but some artists are fragile af. Sorry to hear about all that. Sounds like a lot of bad luck. Hope the writer is still writing whoever he may be ;)

Intensely personal work. Constantly subjected to third party scrutiny. Constantly faced with far better and more elaborate works.

Writing has a lot of this too, but it is a far more standardized process, with a much lower entrance level for what is professionaly considered acceptable.

Read the first volume of Valentine's Catwoman... fantastic, seriously great mob comics. Art is a little rough, but super stylish, and always conveys what it needs to without delving into extraneous detail.

Debating whether to pick up the individual issues on CMX or wait for the next digital trade, then go monthly...

Chilling in muh postgrad class, reading Sinister Six, prof with a doctorate in whatever going on about the organization of international societies. Dude starts talking about IP, mentions how "a neurosurgeon friend of his went to the US to develop a microchip to be installed in people's brains to allow telepathy. And the idiot has no idea how big companies will use that tech to enslave us all".

This postgrad is validating every single preconception i had about Academia.

Happy belated birthday, Tetrax.

Thanks!

Birthday Comics Order:
Ant-Man Volume 1: Second Chance Man
Avengers Undercover Volume 1: The Descent
Avengers Undercover Volume 2: Going Native (I've owned Arena for ages, I wanted to nab these before they go out of print since a hardcover is....unlikely)
Ms. Marvel OHC
Batman Volume 5: Zero Year - Dark City
Sunstone Vol. 1 & 2
Secret Six Volume 1: Villains United
Secret Six Volume 2 (this should really have a subtitle like
Get Out of Hell Free
or something)
Rat Queens OHC (ordered separate so the rest of the order doesn't take years)

I also got one of those neat Marvel Doring Kindersley books from my brother, Marvel Year by Year: A Visual Chronology.

Going to a few shops in the city next week as well, we'll see what we can see but I think I'm good.

Owzers

There's been too many birthdays this year on Comics-gaf, you're going to have to delay yours until next year when things free up Tetrax.

It's pretty great, though the fact that
nobody knows each other is jarring. The Novas don't know of Thanos? Only Star Lord and Gamora know each other? Drax is a...Nova? Or something? Groot is literally just being found?
Very jarring, but very cool. Especially this Thanos is mentioned in another book (
Siege
), so that's cool.
It is an alternate universe sort of deal, so anything goes! I think it's really cool. The whole use of time travel with Thanos is my favorite thing about it. I love time travel stuff, especially in that fashion. Reminds me a lot of Steins;Gate so it gets major cool points for that.
Too old, LOL.
Thanks folks! Now to go buy some comics and Funkos.....

Happy belated birthday!

Finally back to Hellboy. Reading The Crooked Man right now.

Corben's art in this is very unsettling and good for the mood of this particular story. The witches and monsters and shit all look horrific.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Omg...
Just watched the final episode of The Daily Show

:'''')

Can't handle it.
That Bruce Springsteen song at the end sealed the deal. So good.

On a more comics-related note, I have the day off both jobs today! Going to tear through some Orion omnibus and maybe some Hellboy or something else too!

Kipp

Kinda tempted to stop by the library today to grab some comics even though I have a ton of unread stuff on my shelf still. I mostly really want to reread I Kill Giants and/or Daytripper, and I know that library has them. I want something heartfelt after watching that Daily Show finale.

That library also has Scott Pilgrim... Maybe it's time for a reread of that too.

kmfdmpig

Alright, I'm about to go upgrade my tablet from a 3rd gen Kindle Fire.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10?

For comics that's as good as it gets. The only other serious contender was the larger 12.2 inch tablets (the Tab Pro and the Note 12.2). I settled on the Tab S and it's wonderful for comics/web browsing/etc...

The Wicked + The Divine 1-11 are 99 cents on CMX at the moment.

Buy Phonogram, which is also in this sale! Then get hype for Phonogram: The Immaterial Girl, then cry with me when it is inevitably delayed.

The first volume is also in the Humble Music Book Bundle along with WicDiv Volume 1.

It is an alternate universe sort of deal, so anything goes! I think it's really cool. The whole use of time travel with Thanos is my favorite thing about it. I love time travel stuff, especially in that fashion. Reminds me a lot of Steins;Gate so it gets major cool points for that.
Oh it's definitely a cool story, just stuff like that throws me off a lot.
Almost to the end. Actually, I'm midway through the 'Herc' follow-up series that was cancelled so I'm almost done.

Apparently you didn't keep an open enough mind, then, because otherwise it would've popped up on your radar.

Kipp

Just blew through 5 issues of Simonson's Orion, and guys, it's genuinely an excellent comic.
It's an amazing, epic story, full of twists and conspiracy and complexities. I'm really, really impressed.
I'd highly recommend picking up the omnibus. It's only got an MSRP of $75 ($43 on IST currently), so it's pretty fantastic value for the 700 pages of great comics you get!

Whatsinaname, you need to read it soon so you can tell me what you think!

Top Bottom