• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
You read Secret Wars Journal #1, huh? You'd probably like 616 Kate just fine. Apparently Lemire isn't using the 1602 version, but we'll see. I hope there's an interview about that book soon.

Yup. Her SWJ story is my second favorite so far after the Daredevil/Elektra story from SWJ #2.

Yousefb

Screw it hopping on the Omega Men train.

Anybody read Midnighter? Only exposed to him through Grayson but I'm hearing it's decent too.

#3 is fucking brilliant.

It was.

So, so brilliant. Most writers can't help themselves, they just HAVE to telegraph the
make it look good
moment, but here? No such risk.

And the fight scene! Brilliant. Everything, art, writing, brilliant.

I think I've pinned down why it's so odd to me; it's an insurgency book, which is very rare. Typically, most comics I've read fall into 3 categories on this particular area: you've got your standard superhero fair, where the status quo is good and the people defending it are good, your antihero book, where the status quo is at least mostly good, and the people defending it are morally all over the place, and finally your rebellion material (very common in sci-fi due to Star Wars), where the status quo is bad and the people fighting it are morally pure.

The Omega Men falls into none of these groups. The Citadel and their actions are repugnant, but the Omega Men aren't much better, on the face of it.

Roger's idolatry of Daimo in BPRD is possibly comics' greatest circumstance.

It's the best

I really like how Scott Allie (or was it someone else? I don't remember) brought up how Daimio basically fills the void left by Hellboy and Abe. Without them there, Roger fixates on the most assertive guy there and it's great.

I think I've pinned down why it's so odd to me; it's an insurgency book, which is very rare.

Well, there have been insurgency books before. Scarlet and The Movement just off the top of my head (and Scarlet was rather excellent. Unfortunately we only get a new issue of that once every two years or something), but Omega Men has been mesmerizing in both art and story while using very, very few things that would already be familiar to anyone. Out of the entire series thus far, Kyle Rayner is the only thing I remember from other comics. Everything else is new to me. But I still can't get enough.

And to think I bought #1 on a total whim after flipping through it at my LCS. It was the art that made me pick it up in the first place.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
You should read Hawkeye, man!

I'll get to it. But right now I have plenty to read. Power Girl, Chew, Saga, Wicke and Divine, the original AoA, plus all my weekly buys will keep me busy for a while. Deadly Class and Southern Bastards are also on the list though I haven't bought them yet.

Well, there have been insurgency books before. Scarlet and The Movement just off the top of my head (and Scarlet was rather excellent. Unfortunately we only get a new issue of that once every two years or something), but Omega Men has been mesmerizing in both art and story while using very, very few things that would already be familiar to anyone. Out of the entire series thus far, Kyle Rayner is the only thing I remember from other comics. Everything else is new to me. But I still can't get enough.

And to think I bought #1 on a total whim after flipping through it at my LCS. It was the art that made me pick it up in the first place.

The Citadel has cropped up in a few other places since the New 52, by name if not by presence (they had some part in Starfire's imprisonment as a kid). And the Omega Men themselves aren't actually a new concept.

But what King's done is successfully make every borrowed element very much his own, in a way so comprehensive that it feels totally original.

How the fuck is it not on your radar when Greg Pak, who's written the Hercules run you're gonna follow up on and whose work made it so you could do a new Hercules book in the first place, has said on multiple occasions he wrote Hercules under the assumption he was bisexual, because the actual Hercules of greek myth was pretty much bisexual? Like, I get Abnett maybe not checking out the previous runs because the guy's a workhorse and he's always doing something, but, it's your goddamn job as an editor to know that stuff.
I'm only up to Chaos War in my reread, but Pak is either full of it or the most subtle writer in comics, which we know is not the case.

But I'm only up to Chaos War.

Well, I just ordered Southern Bastards Volumes 1 and 2 along with the Fear Agent Library editions 1 and 2 from In Stock Trades. Also picked up Black Science volumes 1 and 2.

I think I'm good for a while.

Thanks for pointing me to In Stock Trades. Hoping their shipping quality is better than Amazon's has been as of late.

Thanks for pointing me to In Stock Trades. Hoping their shipping quality is better than Amazon's has been as of late.

IST is amazing. They pack your books as if they were newborn babes. They use those vacuum-seal foam packs so there's no empty space in the box. Your books themselves will be bundled together and wrapped snugly in plastic. If you order shit that's downright huge, you'll probably get a box full of foam peanuts.

Ostrander is one of the great, underappreciated writers of the last generation. Also an incredibly nice man who took the time out to help a curious writer a long time ago. Kim Yale was also an amazing person, and we lost her way too soon.
so whatever happened to that curious writer?

I didn't even read your description Ed, but I'll buy your comic when it launches on Comixology. You got my money for being cool.
sweet

im still not buying your anime tho
image.php

#premptiveavatarquote

IST is amazing. They pack your books as if they were newborn babes. They use those vacuum-seal foam packs so there's no empty space in the box. Your books themselves will be bundled together and wrapped snugly in plastic. If you order shit that's downright huge, you'll probably get a box full of foam peanuts.

Yeah. I'm more than willing to likely wait longer from IST or even (rarely) pay a little bit more over ordering from Amazon. I've ordered way more from IST than Amazon. The former has had zero issues whereas the latter has resulted in various minor to moderate damage more than once.

Owzers

Trump was right.

Justice League Gods and Monsters:

migrant workers sent by the Mexican government swipe our super baby out from under us and raise him as their own.

Also, Trump about Megyn Kelly tonight.

“There was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her… wherever.”

Trump 2016.

Harley Quinn #2 - #10: I was starting to lose interest (both the assassins and Syborg arc weren't that great) but #8 had a few good gags and #9 with the fan was good. I liked the art in #10 but the story went back to random stuff. While I do enjoy slice-of-life type of series, I feel there needs to some character insight or world insight provided to keep things interesting. Either way, the end of #10 with Power Girl appearing looks like it might shake things up. Will read more tomorrow.

Also, the casual stereotypes in the Syborg arc were a bit off-putting.

I liked the first arc. Second one wasn't that good. Stopped buying until it goes on sales like this

It's funny. I've just been scrolling up and down the page, looking at the covers, and I keep drawing conclusions from them. Like that the #11 is missing a head, that one's a little obvious; then after that, instead of headshots, they start doing torso shots. Then I start wondering what kind of weird things the face paint could signify.

I don't know, I took some melatonin and I'm kind of in a weird place right now. lol

yanderegif

oh lawd

Messi

I read 3 comics on my flight home that shocked me with how great they were.

Weirdworld #1 : this was really great. Mike del Mundo whoosh. That man knows how to make unique looking art. Story was fun and the world is really interesting. I am still laughing at the drawing of the map. Glad we will get to see more stories in this world soon.

Where Monsters Dwell #1 & #2 : Really taken back by this. I bought it on a whim when it released and only just go around to reading it. This does not feel like a marvel book. It feels like an image book. It is about a strong woman and a dickhead world renowned pilot going on a trip across part of Battleworld. I love that she gives as much abuse as she gets, she doesn't take his shit. The banter between the two main characters is really good. If that doesn't appeal the massive Monsters (T-rex, mega shark ect) should. Art is good. Can't wait to see more of this.

We stand on guard #1: loved the art loved the setting. Brian Ks writing was strong as always and it didn't shy away from fucked up moments. Really interested to see where this goes. Is it a mini-series.

Then I read Ultimate End #1-#4: what a load of trash. Broke my streak of amazing books.

Infinity Gauntlet continues to be awesome. Glad I'm following this one.

I'm absolutely loving Thanos in this. He's been one of my favorite Marvel characters for a while now and his role in this story is great. And Thanos wearing the ripped up, anime style cloak? That's my shit.

We stand on guard #1: loved the art loved the setting. Brian Ks writing was strong as always and it didn't shy away from fucked up moments. Really interested to see where this goes. Is it a mini-series.

I've read both issues of this so far and I'm really loving it.

Messi

It is, indeed.

Edit: Actually, you should recommend me some books like that! I'm sure you know a few.

Books like Red Sonja? I don't have a clue actually. I am waiting for Swords of Sorrow to end to pick that up. Hopefully it is as good as Red Sonja. I'm sure it us as Gail is writing it.

The Mask is... peculiar. Very strong use of color and such a degree of domain over the classic comic book art it uses for most pannels that the book can't help but have a wonderful contrast with the Mask pannels, where slapstick is in full swing.

mask is a murderous, seriously creepy dick, tho, which is something that the film only hinted at most of the time. Immortal, magical Joker with a mean healing factor, basically. First thing dude does when he gets his power? Try to bash his own skull in with a hammer. Second? About to shoot himself in the head to test his limits. Decides to ventilate his hand instead. Then fucks off to torment some randoms.

Has potential. Ipkiss didn't show up yet. We'll see how it goes.

Owzers

JL Gods and Monsters was a fun little weirdo movie. I don't think it's that memorable from a plot standpoint though, not something i'll have the urge to watch again.

Avixph

The Mask is... peculiar. Very strong use of color and such a degree of domain over the classic comic book art it uses for most pannels that the book can't help but have a wonderful contrast with the Mask pannels, where slapstick is in full swing.

mask is a murderous, seriously creepy dick, tho, which is something that the film only hinted at most of the time. Immortal, magical Joker with a mean healing factor, basically. First thing dude does when he gets his power? Try to bash his own skull in with a hammer. Second? About to shoot himself in the head to test his limits. Decides to ventilate his hand instead. Then fucks off to torment some randoms.

Has potential. Ipkiss didn't show up yet. We'll see how it goes.
Someone should make an attempt to make a remake movie or TV show about the Mask.

besada

Banned
so whatever happened to that curious writer?
He published some stuff, started writing and editing a couple of indie series, then his publisher absconded with thousands of dollars owed to all parties and left him to explain it to writers and artists for years to come. Then he almost sold a series to Antarctic Press (even slept on Ben Dunn's floor), but the artist went insane when pressured to put out six pages to show Ben he could do serial work. Worked on a series for the folks who do Dawn, but half way into producing the issue the artist went nuts and they scrapped the project. Started working on an indie book and the artist went nuts and quit.

Then he decided he needed to make some money.

He published some stuff, started writing and editing a couple of indie series, then his publisher absconded with thousands of dollars owed to all parties and left him to explain it to writers and artists for years to come. Then he almost sold a series to Antarctic Press (even slept on Ben Dunn's floor), but the artist went insane when pressured to put out six pages to show Ben he could do serial work. Worked on a series for the folks who do Dawn, but half way into producing the issue the artist went nuts and they scrapped the project. Started working on an indie book and the artist went nuts and quit.

Then he decided he needed to make some money.

Ben Dunn. Whew. Those were the days. Ninja High School.

frye

Almost every single one of the direct to DVD DC movies I've seen are either utter trash or trash adaptations (or boring origin stories before they decided to stop making anything that isn't Batman or Justice League). This Gods and Monsters thing is pretty dece tho

Top Bottom