• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

She would be a nice MJ

tumblr_n3f7k3LFq61s9jf13o4_250.gif

Yousefb

Hey ComicGAF! My younger brother was asking me for comic book suggestions and one of the characters he's interested in is The Flash. However, I am totally unfamiliar with the character other than via his JL appearances. So where should I tell him to jump in? Is the New52 a good spot? Or should he avoid that and look for some pre-new52 essentials?
Reposting for the new page. Much appreciated!

Zombine

Banned
MJ is a shit character and it'll take a shit person to pull off that asshole. My choice is for Donald Trump.

"Face it tiger, you're a loser. Period. You don't even have 8 legs."

Let me preface by saying I'm not a Flash expert, so the following advice may not be the best:

New 52 is a fine place to start for someone who's trying to get into the Flash. It has a solid story and fantastic art. Though I've only read the first volume, so my opinion my not mean much. I personally dropped it because I found it rather boring and uninteresting, but for the uninitiated it would be a good choice I imagine.

However, Mark Waid's and Geoff Johns' respective runs on the books are supposed to be the best Flash has had to offer. The only thing I've read from these was The Flash Rebirth (by Geoff Johns), which was a really good story though I don't know if it's the best starting point. You can try it and see, as it is a very good story, and it's also the beginning of a very long story arc that ends with the event, Flashpoint. Which, as you may know, is the event that creates the New 52.

Take that as you will.

Owzers

Team Wilde, I've watched the Lazarus Project which earns me +2 Wilde Points. Every 10 points makes Messi change his avatar.

Her acting in the Divergent films is kinda wooden, but I blame that on the writing. Those movies are shit to begin with. She can only do so much.

I would blame it on bad direction, but I haven't seen it. If we're talking about the ASM movies, at least Marc Webb knows how to direct the actors and that ended up being one of the best parts of the movies (possibly the only redeemable bit). Pretty sure Woodley would've done a bang up job.

"Man of Action" on challenging the comics/Hollywood model (CBR)

Few tidbits in there about the in-the-works 'I Kill Giants' adaptation, and the upcoming 'Officer Downe' movie. Also this...

The pair told the oddly funny story of how they later pitched including Big Hero 6 in the "Ultimate Spider-Man" cartoon only to be asked by Marvel Animation, "What do you know about Big Hero 6?" Once they explained that they'd created the characters, Marvel admitted the then secret Disney film was in the works.
...is pretty damn funny. Come on, Marvel.

Doesn't even take that much.

Comics lads?

I thought your avatars were different forms, like a Dragon Ball Z character.

I wish Resurrection of F was in cinemas here. =(

My tablet is fixed, so I read the first arc of the post-Infinite Crisis Checkmate and all the issues of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina last night. Checkmate was classic Rucka, lots of infighting and Strong Female Protagonists. Loved it, even if the art was a bit basic. Will be getting the rest.

Sabrina is amazing, it's almost as good as Afterlife With Archie. Just top-notch stuff all round. Creepy, atmospheric art and writing. The only problem is the inevitable wait like with Afterlife.

When is #2 of Waid/Staples' Archie? Can't wait for that, #1 was the best book of last month.

Tizoc

Just saw your post =3
OK for The Flash you have the following options, but they're mostly Pre-52 and they might not have aged all that well, but I personally enjoyed them

Mark Waid's early 90s Flash run
Geoff Johns Flash runs from the past 2 decades
Grant Morrison and Mark Millar's Flash run from the mid-late 90s
JLA by Grant Morrison

That's it off the top of my head for now, let me know if you want any more details =X

Owzers

:/ i've read so few comics lately that when you said "comics lads?" i assumed that was a tv show called Comics Lads. I'd watch.

Yousefb

Just ordered Hellboy Library Edition vol 1, Deadly Class vol 1, Black Science vol 1, Low vol 1, and Saga vol 1 from IST. Thanks for the tips guys.

Edit: Appreciate the responses on Flash fellas! Based on the consensus here I think I'll tell my brother to read the Johns run since he liked the Flash point movie.

Zombine

Banned
Pretty nice.

You really really like Walking Dead, huh?

It's been my favorite book for years. Long story short, but I've been obsessed with zombies since I was about 8 or 9 when I saw the remake of Night of The Living Dead. Since then, I've really been into just about everything that is worth consuming when it comes to zombie popculture. Walking Dead really hit the spot with me about 6 years ago, and I've never not liked it. It's really my favorite thing in the world, and my girlfriend and I get a lot of bonding out of the show. If anything ever happened and I fell on super hard times and could only pick one book to read I would pick Walking Dead every time.

Zombine

Banned
oh no, I like TWD, I just noticed that Zombeen's fandom goes above and beyond.

These two should be here this week:

MFWD1735-2.jpg

MFWD1734-2.jpg

These two were a long time coming. There isn't much rhyme or reason to who they select. I'm a little irritated by them including Jesus though. He takes up a space, and they just released the sdcc version of last summer. It's a waste of a spot.

Zombine

Banned
Were there only 16 issues of FF, or is that just Fraction's bit?

I still have every single issue of that comic. The covers were brilliant.

I doubt we'll ever get a follow up with these characters ever again. The stakes weren't super high or anything, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

Top Bottom