• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Went to StocktonCon yesterday. Just an up-and-back trip. Didn't buy much of anything other than a few Hot Wheels toys for my son but did get a good amount of sketches in a few hours.

I got my brother's friend (Christopher Cayco, the guy who drew all 721 Pokemon and their variations) to do Piedmon from Digimon. I had asked who his favorite villain was and that's who he named. I hadn't seen Digimon in over a decade so a rush of memories came to me and I remembered how much a dick Piedmon was in the anime. Spoilers! I do recall him jobbing to Magna Angemon, so what's up with that!?
$20. He only charged me for a B&W commission but added some color.

I double-dipped on another artist, Justin Prime, and had him draw Apocalypse. Comic/TV show version and not whatever the hell that is in the next X-Men movie.
$30 for a bust

Got Chris Burnham to do a version of Batman if he were to appear in Nameless. I like that he put the Bat symbol on the helmet and not the chest, which I thought he was going to do. I had him kind of stumped when I requested the commission but once he put pencil to paper, it was on! I had forgotten to check the prints on his table but I saw that spaceship print he had that I should have bought. Maybe if I see him again at another convention, I'll buy the print. It was an inked version of this: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHlFvV6WgAAGDEJ.jpg
$40 for a 5-minute speed sketch

Met Lonnie Millsap and he's a very chill guy. I asked if he was doing any sketches and he said he was, so long as I have some type of medium for him to draw on. Perfect! He even said he was going to do it for free. I picked up two of his books as I perused through them while he was drawing.
Free sketch

I originally wanted Joe Eisma to draw Dark Phoenix in my villains sketchbook but it was with someone else when I got to his table. He had just finished a Nightcrawler commission and was available. With the opportunity at hand, I gave him my Batbook.
$50 for torso

Last commission for the day. Erik Arreaga can draw a mean Venom. Just like with Joe Eisma, I didn't have my villains sketchbook with me. Erik was doing quick sketches and accepted a donation of any amount. Spotted him a $20 and he was appreciative of it. I'm assuming others probably give him much less.
$20

I'm pretty happy with all the sketches I got in the 3-4 hours I was there. I probably could have squeezed in a few more but my son was not having it. StocktonCon really needs to be at a venue that is bigger than the Stockton Arena. The vendor aisles were completely crowded and a lot of people seem to like stopping in the middle of aisles, creating additional lines against oncoming traffic and just no spatial awareness at all. Besides that, there were a bunch of old wrestlers there, some decent looking cosplayers (one of the Rick Grimes cosplayer there was damn accurate) and the convention food wasn't overly expensive nor was it bad tasting. Got some banana flavored Italian soda and was mildly impressed.

Very nice, love seeing these

Xis

How many of the X-Men characters are American?

I like the idea of most of them being from all over the world because that makes them a bit more different from other groups out there.

The original team (Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Angel, Iceman) are all American, IIRC. The team introduced in Giant-Size X-Men was mostly international characters (Colossus, Storm, Wolverine, Sunfire, Banshee, Nightcrawler).

Sunfire in those early issues is weird. He's like "sure I'll join, Xavier" but once he's there he's kinda an asshole, he's like "why'd you even bring us here, i'm wasting my time"

Mbd0arX.gif

Don't even. Yotsuba is is easily the most artfully constructed comic in the history of our young species.

I'm really happy about Sophie Campbell's rising success. We need more trans* creators and artists.
Yup. Kind of reminds me of P Craig Russell. Iirc he wss the first openly gay comics artist. In an interview, she says her experience has been really positive and IDW has been great. I don't understand the asterisk tho?

Hagi

Don't even. Yotsuba is is easily the most artfully constructed comic in the history of our young species.
this guy gets it

Started reading year one of East of West and it's pretty cool so far. Crow is one of the most strikingly simple character designs I've seen in a while. The horseman are creepy, there's a really funny scene that caught me off guard with them.

I think this was a good purchase.

this guy gets it

Started reading year one of East of West and it's pretty cool so far. Crow is one of the most strikingly simple character designs I've seen in a while. The horseman are creepy, there's a really funny scene that caught me off guard with them.

I think this was a good purchase.

Yeah, I did an EoW re-read last week to refresh before #19 hits this month. Great story, reads much better in trade as does most Hickman work.

Hagi

Yeah, I did an EoW re-read last week to refresh before #19 hits this month. Great story, reads much better in trade as does most Hickman work.

Yeah i just read #3 and 4 and i think waiting a month between each other would have lessened the impact of 4 somewhat. The way the story flows I'm glad i bought the deluxe edition. Really good stuff.

Pretty lame that Viz hasn't been localizing The New Prince of Tennis. The anime adaptation is pretty good.

I'm pretty sure I'm like the one American who ever cared about that series, but I love tennis. Throw in some ridiculous moves and a battle shonen structure and I'm there.

Yup. Kind of reminds me of P Craig Russell. Iirc he wss the first openly gay comics artist. In an interview, she says her experience has been really positive and IDW has been great. I don't understand the asterisk tho?

The asterisk is used by some people to indicate/support the idea of a broad umbrella concept of non-standard identity and expression within gendered space rather than a more narrow concept such as trans(gender) referring to people that identify with the gender opposite what they were assigned at birth (and, potentially, even more narrowly as those that also "transition" to it).

The asterisk is used by some people to indicate/support the idea of a broad umbrella concept of non-standard identity and expression within gendered space rather than a more narrow concept such as trans(gender) referring to people that identify with the gender opposite what they were assigned at birth (and, potentially, even more narrowly as those that also "transition" to it).
Ah gotcha

I figured it was just a thing I wasn't familiar with

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Guys, I'm so excited. Today I get to get paid for a full day of taking the train to Downtown San Diego, sitting in a room and listening to food safety stuff, and getting a free lunch. It's kind of weird how excited I am.
I'm also bringing along a few of the comics I got from the library to read on the train and while I'm waiting for the food safety training stuff to start (the train gets there an hour before it starts).
Gonna be a good day :D

Yeah i just read #3 and 4 and i think waiting a month between each other would have lessened the impact of 4 somewhat. The way the story flows I'm glad i bought the deluxe edition. Really good stuff.

Hickman in general is just often hard to read month to month because you forget half of what happened in the last issue.

Jintor

you can't just say it and not link it

unless you can't link it, in which case...

anyway, i've been reduced to reading fanfiction while waiting to make a decision on a tablet. This Asus Memopad 7 looked pretty decent. I might try and pick one up in-store tomorrow...

Sou Da

you can't just say it and not link it

unless you can't link it, in which case...

anyway, i've been reduced to reading fanfiction while waiting to make a decision on a tablet. This Asus Memopad 7 looked pretty decent. I might try and pick one up in-store tomorrow...
304b03c5d8181fa8f979a8d9102a6808e7de5d07.jpg

Edited out for safety u.u

Been /co/'s flavor of the month for a while now, they thought it up when Darkseid's daughter showed up.

SoilBreak

Banned
Deadpool & Cable are back together

EaPSmms.jpg

Back in 2004, Fabian Nicieza and Reilly Brown brought the world Cable & Deadpool, an immensely popular pairing of one of the Marvel Universe's biggest clowns (Deadpool) with one of its biggest straight men (Galactus — I mean, Cable). Now, Marvel is bringing the creators back for a whole new spin on Cable & Deadpool.

It's called Deadpool & Cable.

Deadpool & Cable: Split Second is about "love lost and love found," Nicieza told Polygon. "It is about struggling through a life of regret and struggling through the soulful tug of conscience that nags at us as a species, tasking us to ask of ourselves, 'Is this all I am? Is this all I can be? Do I have the courage to be more?'

ReAxion

Guys, I'm so excited. Today I get to get paid for a full day of taking the train to Downtown San Diego, sitting in a room and listening to food safety stuff, and getting a free lunch. It's kind of weird how excited I am.
I'm also bringing along a few of the comics I got from the library to read on the train and while I'm waiting for the food safety training stuff to start (the train gets there an hour before it starts).
Gonna be a good day :D

I think you can still drink on the train :D

One thing I like about allll the secret was not was tie ins is how I kind of missed that hokey late 90s narration. Niecza and Robinson are BRINGING IT BACK

Nudull

Banned

"trans*" is one of the general terms for transgender folks in general.

Hey people, i'm a relative newb in this thread but i have a question for people who buy physical books that i hope you can help me out with. Do you buy hardback or paperback exclusively or do you mix and match? If you do the latter, does it look weird on your bookcase?

I ask because since January i've been buying TPBs left and right (i've gone past the 70 number at least) but i've started to notice that DC take too long to release series that i like in paperback. Grayson for instance isn't coming out on TPB according to Amazon until January even though it came out in June in hardcover, which is a 7 month wait. Multiversity comes out in November apparently (although i thought it was earlier) so how long would i have to wait for a TPB of that?

So do i dive in regardless and get some hardcovers or wait and preserve the pattern of my new collection?

Hey people, i'm a relative newb in this thread but i have a question for people who buy physical books that i hope you can help me out with. Do you buy hardback or paperback exclusively or do you mix and match? If you do the latter, does it look weird on your bookcase?

I ask because since January i've been buying TPBs left and right (i've gone past the 70 number at least) but i've started to notice that DC take too long to release series that i like in paperback. Grayson for instance isn't coming out on TPB according to Amazon until January even though it came out in June in hardcover, which is a 7 month wait. Multiversity comes out in November apparently (although i thought it was earlier) so how long would i have to wait for a TPB of that?

So do i dive in regardless and get some hardcovers or wait and preserve the pattern of my new collection?
I mix and match. I don't like to wait.

Take that as you will.

Well, some books are only available in paperback. If it's something I really want, I'll usually buy whatever comes out first, meaning hardcover. But as to my bookshelf organization, I sort them by publisher, format, then alphabetically. So for the example, I'll have my Image comics hardcovers organized alphabetically, then my Image comics paperbacks alphabetically. I allow no fraternization between formats.

Yo I didn't hear any talk about Bombshells this week. Art was 9 Kipp heads out of 10. Karas story was neat as well.

I only just realized the series will only run for 9 issues. That's not even enough time to get the characters fully established, what the flip

They don't look weird together. After awhile, you start creating your collecting identity, but don't worry about how it looks so much. Most people mix-and-match.

Top Bottom