• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Neol

Hi ComicGaf! Not sure if this is the right place to ask this so forgive me if so.

Fairly new reader but I've caught up with the recent Marvel events and am a bit overwhelmed with all the Secret Wars tie-ins. Just wanted to ask what are the notable releases that everyone's reading?

Definitely gonna pick up Renew your Vows and Old Man Logan but other then that I'm open to anything.

Hi ComicGaf! Not sure if this is the right place to ask this so forgive me if so.

Fairly new reader but I've caught up with the recent Marvel events and am a bit overwhelmed with all the Secret Wars tie-ins. Just wanted to ask what are the notable releases that everyone's reading?

Definitely gonna pick up Renew your Vows and Old Man Logan but other then that I'm open to anything.

Man forget all that and just read some Valiant

Obviously

Ooh yeah. That sounds like a good bet.

Man don't take the idea I took from you :/

Hey Iggy

Infinity Gauntlet is the only one I'm following and I'd recommend it

PsychBat!

Banned
Envious of the peeps here reading 1602 Angela. She's just sooooooo boring. I wanna enjoy it but I can't relate to her or her book at all. Not to mention that her sidekick isn't interesting either.

Messi

Envious of the peeps here reading 1602 Angela. She's just sooooooo boring. I wanna enjoy it but I can't relate to her or her book at all. Not to mention that her sidekick isn't interesting either.

I find Angela to be fascinating as a character. Her books are great too. Visual treats.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Why would you be envious of people reading a book you find boring?

tumblr_nswchfzZJH1qhjbxeo1_540.jpg

Shamelessly stolen from the DCTV community thread.

Well, she's trying to make her way in the Marvel U as best she can. She wasn't born there, you know. But I find that the art and setting are the real standouts in her 1602 book and they really help make Angela seem more at home.

I don't read comics by Humphries or Hopeless

I don't set the rules, I just follow them

(but yes, Cable is legit one of my favorite mutants)
I always knew you were my dude

I like E is for Extinction and Runaways

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

My favorites....

Marvel Zombies
The Runaways
Thors
Siege
Inhumans Attilan Rising
Korvac Saga
Infinity Gauntlet
A-force
Red Skull
Age of Apocalypse

Yousefb

DaredevilGAF quick question! I've been slowly making my way through Bendis's run, which I love, but I was wondering if I need to finish it to appreciate the Waid run (as well as the upcoming Soule series). I'm just curious to check out the Waid take that everyone seems to like so much. Unless it makes more sense to finish Bendis, read Brubaker, then get to Waid.

I'm reading

- Old Man Logan - Awesome art, story starts of great but kinda becomes simplistic. With that said I'm still enjoying it.
- E is for Extinction - Didn't know much about Morrison's Xmen run but I'm liking this book. The art is funky and the story is fun and interesting.
- Weirdworld - Did not expect to like this book at all. Knew nothing about it. It's the biggest surprise. Great characters, creative setting, and fun storytelling. Also the art is tied for the best in the SW tie ins with Infinity Gauntlet imo
- Infinity Gauntlet - Also another surprise. The story follows a well portrayed family, familiar characters with interesting spins, and Thanos. It's all fantastic.
- Master of Kung Fu - Do you enjoy Kung Fu movies? Do you like Marvel? Get it
- Thors - Pretty decent book. The idea of Thors being the police force of Battleworld is neat. So far so good.

I just read every issue of the Finch Wonder Woman run so far and it's pretty damn good. Sometimes I need to quit listening to haters and decide for myself because that was a fun read.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

I'd highly recommend Planet Hulk, Thors, and Where Monsters Dwell. None of them require a lot of past knowledge (maybe you'd recognize some of the Thors but it's not necessary) and all of them have been real solid so far.

Here's what I got. Keep in mind, all of the ones I am currently reading, I really like and readily look forward to each time:

Spider Island - Superheroes and villains got turned into mutant spider monsters. Agent Venom, Spider-Woman, and Vision fight back through a series of (maybe, but not really) good decisions

Thors - It's a cop book where all the major players are some version of either Thor or Loki.

Planet Hulk - Captain Steve Rogers rides a t-rex named "Devil" while killing Hulks.

M.O.D.O.K. Assassin - MODOK kills things.

X-Men '92 - If you really liked the old cartoon, then this is perfect. Each issue feels like an episode of the cartoon.

Inhumans Attilan Rising - It's like a very action-heavy and politics-lite political thriller. If that makes sense. Probably my favorite of the tie-ins.

Old Man Logan - Old Man Logan wanders through places, fights things, and is just very crabby and out of place. Doesn't like people much. It's slow, but the art's good.

A-Force - It's an all-female Avengers book. Not much more to say, but I love it.

Infinity Gauntlet - Post-apocalyptic adventure with some cosmic shit. Very bleak, yet epic. Like The Last of Us, but with lasers and shit.

I can't think of any others off of the top of my head. Aside from the main Secret Wars title, which is godlike.

Jeff Stokely pages from The Spire went up. Next payday...

Although, christ, I don't think i've actually looked around on Cadence Comic Art. Most of my favorite artists are represented here. I might be spending money tonight, dudes

Tizoc

Ehhh... The Heinberg opener was okay, but it's yet another "who is Wonder Woman?" retooling (that's literally the title, btw). It's got Dodson artwork though, so it looks good, and it effectively establishes the status quo DC went with after dumping Rucka. Then came Picoult and the "Amazons Attack" event, and those are definitely not okay; in fact it's one of the worst DC events ever. Then after some wholly forgettable filler issues Gail comes on for the remainder, and tells a couple of good stories and a couple of unremarkable stories. I'd say give Heinberg's story (first 4 issues and an annual) and Gail's first story ("The Circle") a try, then keep reading Gail's stuff until you don't like it anymore.

Generally speaking the good Wondy runs are
80s run post CoIE
Greg Rucka's 2000s series
Gail Simone's mid/late 2000s series

Shaanyboi

Banned
Generally speaking the good Wondy runs are
80s run post CoIE
Greg Rucka's 2000s series
Gail Simone's mid/late 2000s series

I'd read some of Simone's run, as well as some of the older stuff like Gods and Monsters. I'm interested to see other peoples' takes on her.

Hagi

DaredevilGAF quick question! I've been slowly making my way through Bendis's run, which I love, but I was wondering if I need to finish it to appreciate the Waid run (as well as the upcoming Soule series). I'm just curious to check out the Waid take that everyone seems to like so much. Unless it makes more sense to finish Bendis, read Brubaker, then get to Waid.

You don't need to read Bendis or Brubakers run to appreciate Waids but I'd do it anyway because they are amazing. He's had the best continuous runs out of any character outside of Batman.

Zombine

Banned
Jeff Stokely pages from The Spire went up. Next payday...

Although, christ, I don't think i've actually looked around on Cadence Comic Art. Most of my favorite artists are represented here. I might be spending money tonight, dudes

They went up a few days ago. Cadence is really great. They changed their packing up a bit.

Edit: Well Messi, it finally happened. Can't say it isn't deserved though. They added new pages and he increased the price of everything by almost $100.

ibrahima

Banned

Get Weird World, last days of Silver Surfer and Siege.

Zombine

Banned
Get Weird World, last days of Silver Surfer and Siege.

Weirdworld, yeah. You need to be fairly invested in the books that are receiving "Last Days of" issues so maybe not the best suggestion.

What I would suggest is for the person asking the question to read the series because it's quite awesome.

Here are just some of the great Battleword titles:

Hail Hydra
Civil War
Renew Your Vows (doesn't totally suck)
Age of Apocalypse
Battleword
Weirdworld
Angela 1602
Secret War Journal
Star Lord & Kitty Pride

You really can't go wrong with a majority of the books, even ones that are unlisted. The only
One that I can think of that is bad is Inferno, and I even liked that.

Weirdworld, yeah. You need to be fairly invested in the books that are receiving "Last Days of" issues so maybe not the best suggestion.

What I would suggest is for the person asking the question to read the series because it's quite awesome.

Here are just some of the great Battleword titles:

Hail Hydra
Civil War
Renew Your Vows (doesn't totally suck)
Age of Apocalypse
Battleword
Weirdworld
Angela 1602
Secret War Journal
Star Lord & Kitty Pride

You really can't go wrong with a majority of the books, even ones that are unlisted. The only
One that I can think of that is bad is Inferno, and I even liked that.

I liked it too.

The only really bad one is Secret Wars 2099 I think and even that one has mildly interesting teams.

Zombine

Banned
I liked it too.

The only really bad one is Secret Wars 2099 I think and even that one has mildly interesting teams.

Yeah I was going to say that I honestly don't think a single one is unreadable. Some may be stronger than others for sure, but I'm still pulling all of the tie ins for a reason lol

My favorites....

Marvel Zombies
The Runaways
Thors
Siege
Inhumans Attilan Rising
Korvac Saga
Infinity Gauntlet
A-force
Red Skull

I would say that this list is even better than mine. But If you combine them it reinforces the idea that this is one strong event.

Weiss

Banned
So I picked up the Nightcrawler series and it's pretty great. There's this wonderful sense of retro camp to it, like Claremont stepped out of the 80s to write it.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I would say that this list is even better than mine. But If you combine them it reinforces the idea that this is one strong event.

Yeah I'm enjoying most of the stuff on your list too. AoA really should have been on my list (so I added it) and the first issue of Starlord and Kitty was way better than I expected.

Tizoc

Do read the original Old Man Logan comic by Mark Millar, it's a similar concept and is frikkin' good
wolverine-old-man-logan.jpg

Zombine

Banned
I haven't read anything from his Millarworld books that I didn't enjoy. The weakest was Supercrooks, and even that had some great characters.

There's more emphasis on painting him as a certain kind of person than actually reading his work for what it is. He writes the comic version of the summer blockbuster and I respect that because he does it well. On top of that, Jupiter's Circle, Starlight, and Chrononauts are legitimately good. Circle is progressive as hell and has awesome characters.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I think the only Millar book I read was Red Son, and that was one of the first comics I ever read. I should try something else by him. For Zombine's sake.

Also, think I might be able to finish up Orion today. I think I've just got 5 issues left.

I haven't read anything from his Millarworld books that I didn't enjoy. The weakest was Supercrooks, and even that had some great characters.

I don't even mind that whole thing about writing comics to make movies out of them; that's clearly overblown and even so, it's just in the interest of fun. What soured Millar to me was Kick-Ass 2 and the
rape scene
. That insistence to be edgy to that point just pissed me off a bit, and then it painted some of the other stuff he did like Hank Pym's portrayal in Ultimates in a different light. I got over it mostly, but I felt like just that one thing was in such poor taste.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The booth Batman/Punisher Crossover are fucking great and JRJR delivers an insane job at the second issue.

He should get a Batmanbook

Top Bottom