• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

The other day i was trying to determine why they are called cape comics when only the worst characters wear capes. Then i remembered Brashear and Hyperion also wear them. Seems to be a superman knockoff thing.

Also hyperion needs a human name. Like Hyperyn Rionusson. But no. They named him Mark Milton. So boring. Even worse than namor's.

Nobody tell Launchpad about Black Lightning, Black Panther or Black Samson, then.

Or Black Manta.

The other day i was trying to determine why they are called cape comics when only the worst characters wear capes. Then i remembered Brashear and Hyperion also wear them. Seems to be a superman knockoff thing.

Also hyperion needs a human name. Like Hyperyn Rionusson. But no. They named him Mark Milton. So boring. Even worse than namor's.

'Cause they're all more or less modeled after the OG Superhero, who most definitely wears a cape.

(Except when he doesn't, like now.)

ReAxion

I agree mostly with what Ostrander is saying, but as a comment on the article it doesnt make too much sense. It seems out of place a bit?

That article is straight up trash. There's not one sentence written in that could have resulted from critical thought.

I *love* how she names black creators and thinks thats the end of her argument. Amazing. We should applaud Waid and Jones for their bravery in making Strange Fruit? Amazing.

I love her argument that says success is dependent on a lot of luck. Like, sorry black creators, there arent many of you in mainstream comics because youre just not lucky enough. Amazing.

No, Mindy Newell, I don't happen to think you shouldn't write about black women comics creators because you are white and jewish, it is because your writing is piss poor.

You know what, this article may not be trash. Maybe its satire. Like the greatest satire I've seen since A Modest Proposal.

To her very small credit amongst the stupidity, she did list names that people can seek out. Talking about minority creators, hyping their stuff - that's going to get them more work with marvel/dc than say, swearing off them until they meet your demands.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Namor has a human name?

Turns out Amazon is capable of delivering books and not have them damaged in the process. My copy of Teen Titans is in factory mint condition. Still sad this isn't a hardcover.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Read the first two issues of Final Crisis. For a relatively inexperienced DC reader it's confusing as hell. Enjoyable nonetheless.

Yeah, it was the first non-Batman book I read. I had no idea what was happening but I loved it. Even re-reading it after knowing more about DC it's still pretty confusing but still amazing. It just emanates that feeling of total chaos and epic consequences.

Kipp

UUUUHHHHH. WHERE IS THE MS. MARVEL OHC AT. THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO COME OUT TODAY.
GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER IST. I HAVE AN ORDER TO ORDER.

Thanks again for the birthday wishes everyone, even you Kipp.

Kinda wishing I brought in one of my comics to work. My computer went down for a bit and it would've helped kill some time. Really interested in Just So Happens, I like the art in it a lot. Maybe I can put a pause on Hellboy for the night.

Yeah, it was the first non-Batman book I read. I had no idea what was happening but I loved it. Even re-reading it after knowing more about DC it's still pretty confusing but still amazing. It just emanates that feeling of total chaos and epic consequences.

Until recently the only Morrison book I'd read was All Star Superman. Loved what I've read of his Batman run so this was the next book on my list.

UUUUHHHHH. WHERE IS THE MS. MARVEL OHC AT. THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO COME OUT TODAY.
GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER IST. I HAVE AN ORDER TO ORDER.

Got pushed back a week, I think

Turns out Amazon is capable of delivering books and not have them damaged in the process. My copy of Teen Titans is in factory mint condition. Still sad this isn't a hardcover.

Sometimes you get lucky.

And sometimes, the book is bent in half.

Kipp

Hahaha

Until recently the only Morrison book I'd read was All Star Superman. Loved what I've read of his Batman run so this was the next book on my list.

Morrison is amazing. Keep in mind though that All-Star Superman is one of his more accessible books. If you like that, that doesn't necessarily mean you'll love his other stuff as much. If you enjoy Final Crisis though, that bodes well for your enjoyment of his other books.
But yeah, the Morrison must-reads include (but are definitely not limited to) Batman, Animal Man, Doom Patrol, Flex Mentallo, and We3. Morrison has tons of stuff worth reading if you like his style.

Got pushed back a week, I think

From what I just read, it had gotten pushed back to 8/12 from 8/5. Not 100% sure about that though. I'll send IST an email maybe and ask about it.

Owzers

I'm practicing my statue painting on the wonder woman statue again before i move on to Catwoman. I'm going to be a pro at this.

Kipp

I'll never understand why IST doesn't have preorder pages.

CGN is saying August 18.

:|

Dammit. It said August 11 on CGN when I checked a week or two ago.
Why would it get delayed anyways? The single issues never got delayed, did they?

:|

Dammit. It said August 11 on CGN when I checked a week or two ago.
Why would it get delayed anyways? The single issues never got delayed, did they?

No idea.

On that note, a bunch of Valiant collections have been delayed and I have no idea about that either. Not sure why this kind of thing usually happens.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just read Cyborg #1

Thought it was decent. What were the other two times he almost/died? I know he almost died and was made into Cyborg but he mentioned three.

Kinda wishing I brought in one of my comics to work. My computer went down for a bit and it would've helped kill some time. Really interested in Just So Happens, I like the art in it a lot. Maybe I can put a pause on Hellboy for the night.

It's Tyrant's birthday?

I hope you have a very animu birthday, Tyrant! Straight out of a harem anime.

Vyer

Man, that Newell column is really....unfortunate.

It's kind of amusing (in a sad way) how history repeats itself. Kicking and screaming against rising diversity and integration embarrassingly happens time and time again, inevitably leaving a shameful mark for future generations to see. And yet rarely do people stop to take the time and reconsider and reflect before dropping firmly on the wrong side of history, instead gleefully marching into things like justifying their stupid shit with Quantum Leap.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
So Jim Gordon shaves his head, shaves the tache and he looks completely different. Like 20 years younger. As if.
KuGsj.gif

Any ETA on when this arc is going to end? Weakest arc Snyder has done on Batman, really don't like/care about Gordon as Batman.

The dark knight strikes again has to be the stupidest thing I've ever read ever.

What are some good black panther stuff to read? I read man without fear the most dangerous man alive where he takes over daredevils job for a while, that's about it.

So Jim Gordon shaves his head, shaves the tache and he looks completely different. Like 20 years younger. As if.
KuGsj.gif

Any ETA on when this arc is going to end? Weakest arc Snyder has done on Batman, really don't like/care about Gordon as Batman.

Haven't they talked about doing something big for #50? Probably around then.

Vyer

KuGsj.gif

maybe they cut the panels featuring the injections of a new HGH/Venom mix.

To her very small credit amongst the stupidity, she did list names that people can seek out. Talking about minority creators, hyping their stuff - that's going to get them more work with marvel/dc than say, swearing off them until they meet your demands.
Yes, definitely a positive. Although I would like it to go one step further and maybe talk about those creators and what they've worked on. Simply listing out names doesn't really add much imo.

But getting marvel and DC to hire more poc creators? I'm pretty sure they are aware of poc comics creators. They just mostly don't hire them. I would also say swearing off marvel and being public as to why can help the cause for greater diversity in comics. Marvel can understand that they are leaving some money on the table by not actively addressing their lack of poc creators.

Kipp

Just finished Orion. Still have some of the Tales of the New Gods short stories (the ones that didn't tie into the main Orion story) to read though.
It kind of meandered a bit at the end. The stakes for the last couple of arcs were much lower than the epic, long arc that took up the first 15-ish issues of the run and they kind of fell flat. All in all though, it was an excellent read and I'd highly recommend picking up the omnibus, especially if you're wanting to get into some New Gods stuff. It was my first New Gods-related comic and it was a great intro into that part of the DC Universe.

Whooooo. Got the last Hellboy Library edition I was missing in the mail today. Along with Vol.2 and 3 of I, Vampire (I'm on a Sorrentino kick lately) and the first Grayson hardcover.

Whooooo. Got the last Hellboy Library edition I was missing in the mail today. Along with Vol.2 and 3 of I, Vampire (I'm on a Sorrentino kick lately) and the first Grayson hardcover.

My last two library editions came in today as well. With that, I only have the 1946-1948 omnibus as the last hardcover left to collect. Plan to start reading this weekend.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
KuGsj.gif

Next March when a Bruce Wayne Batman movie is in the cinemas.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Well now that I'm caught up on The Wicked + the Divine(
RIP Laura, Innana, and Tara
) it time for Deadly Class to enter the rotation with Chew and Saga.

The dark knight strikes again has to be the stupidest thing I've ever read ever.

What are some good black panther stuff to read? I read man without fear the most dangerous man alive where he takes over daredevils job for a while, that's about it.

Christopher Priests Marvel Knights Black Panther

Top Bottom