• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Mafro

So how long have Marvel been putting their stuff up earlier? Woke up this morning (UK) and all of today's book are already up. Usually have to wait till around 2pm.

dan2026

Jim Gorden as Batman doesnt make a lick of sense to me.

How does an old cop with non of Batmans training or knowledge take over from him?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
So how long have Marvel been putting their stuff up earlier? Woke up this morning (UK) and all of today's book are already up. Usually have to wait till around 2pm.

Last week was the first week I noticed.

My CMX subs aren't kicking in yet though which is kind of annoying.

Still good, especially if you don't have to wait around. The release schedule was a mess, but the finale was fantastic. Definitely up to the standards you'd expect.

And I'm pretty sure Aja is back for all but two of those issues in that volume. But it's mostly Aja.

This is what i'd like to hear :) but when you say "finale" are you saying his run is OVER or just the finale for that volume?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I want a big poster of this:

MKAx4Sa.png

ElNarez

Banned

How does an old cop with non of Batmans training or knowledge take over from him?

He's a former marine, with seniority and experience. If you're gonna stick anyone in a giant robot suit, might as well be him, really.

Hagi

Well that's it I've finally moved on from buying floppies and embraced the digital future. Marvel putting their books up in the morning along with DC in the UK is just too good to pass up. It was a fun ride.

Batman #43

tumblr_npqy4yDg2E1qj7s0oo1_250.gif

Mr Bloom though, wow. I'm really enjoying this arc so far.

Tizoc

Just finished Just So Happens by Fumio Obata and I really liked it.

It's about a Japanese woman who moved to London to pursue her career and has to return to Japan for her father's funeral. It focuses on the differences in Japanese culture versus Western culture (especially for women) and it felt really personal and intimate. I'd recommend it if you're looking for a more down to earth story that's a pretty quick read.

The art was really great:

Will give this a read, thanks for mentioning it.

Hagi

Dude Hagi you've changed your avatar in the 10 mins I've been awake o_o

I should read Batman monthly... I'm 2 issues behind. Might as well.

You should catch up, it just keeps getting better I think. Really enjoying the direction Snyder and co are taking this story arc. Have you read Batman Eternal? thinking about picking up the trades.

Gotham Academy #1 - #6: I really enjoyed this. The first issue seemed heavy with boarding school and teenage angst tropes but that got tamped down over the next five issues and the characters seem to get their own distinct voices. The art seemed to be a bit weird for the first few pages but I have really started liking that too.

(And the added bonus that it reminded me of the Malory Towers books I read when I was younger).

You should catch up, it just keeps getting better I think. Really enjoying the direction Snyder and co are taking this story arc. Have you read Batman Eternal? thinking about picking up the trades.

For a second, I thought you were telling me to keep up with the avatar changes lol

Haven't read, but I'm not sure how interested I am to be honest.

Hagi

For a second, I thought you were telling me to keep up with the avatar changes lol

Haven't read, but I'm not sure how interested I am to be honest.

lol I only change them because I get bored plus I make a lot

I'm on a bit of a Batman kick as of late and it seems quite interesting. Sure I read they are doing a Batman and Robin weekly soon.

Tizoc

Eh Snyder's first Batman story in the current book was OK, the later ones didn't seem all that interesting IMO.
Morrison needs to come back and write Bats to make it awesome again.

lol I only change them because I get bored plus I make a lot

I'm on a bit of a Batman kick as of late and it seems quite interesting. Sure I read they are doing a Batman and Robin weekly soon.

I'm more interested in that upcoming Robin War. I'll probably pick up the first few B&R Eternals and pick up whatever I need to follow that if it ends up being good. I'm weak for Batman, I'm even weaker for Robin.

Eh Snyder's first Batman story in the current book was OK, the later ones didn't seem all that interesting IMO.

I'm cynical as hell about DC/Marvel, and even I have to say Snyder's run is one of the best things in comics the past few years.

Tizoc

I'm more interested in that upcoming Robin War. I'll probably pick up the first few B&R Eternals and pick up whatever I need to follow that if it ends up being good. I'm weak for Batman, I'm even weaker for Robin.

I'm cynical as hell about DC/Marvel, and even I have to say Snyder's run is one of the best things in comics the past few years.

lol, fair enough then, but I guess Morrison spoiled me on Bats.

Finished the first volume of Black Science last night. I liked it and thought it got progressively better. Then I read the first few issues of Fear Agent. Loving Fear Agent.

I think the Gordan as Batman arc has been Snyder's weakest so far, but #42 struck more of a chord with me than #41 and the FCBD preview. It's a bit too early to judge it yet though.

Gordon is more than just an old cop. He was military police, he mentions in Batman Year One having to take down Green Berets himself. Dude was a complete and total badass. He also isn't that old he's older than Bruce, but it's not like the dude is in his 70s. Plus yes shaving a beard/mustache and your can totally make some one look younger.

Morrison needs to come back and write Bats to make it awesome again.

lol zero year is not just the best batman story ever, it's just under chris ware's building stories as the best comic book story ever

dan2026

Gordon is more than just an old cop. He was military police, he mentions in Batman Year One having to take down Green Berets himself. Dude was a complete and total badass. He also isn't that old he's older than Bruce, but it's not like the dude is in his 70s. Plus yes shaving a beard/mustache and your can totally make some one look younger.

I guess. I've never really seen Gordon as a 'badass'.
He's a skilled competent policeman certainly.

But an almost superhuman masked vigilante?
I cant see it.

Messi

The only place I've liked the depiction of Gordon bats has been in Batgirl. He has been better in the tie ins than the solo book.

Can't wait for the next arc to start so Joker and Bruce can be back.

dan2026

superhuman is all in the suit.

i find the transition 10000% believable

Fair enough.

At least its a Batman story that has never been done before.
You know it will only last 5 minutes before Bruce is back again though.

Just like when Dick was Batman, it will end all too soon.

Messi

Coming November

SECRET WARS TOO #1
JONATHAN HICKMAN, SERGIO ARAGONES, RYAN BROWNE, AL EWING, ROB GUILLORY, KATE LETH, ERIC POWELL, DECLAN SHALVEY, KYLE STARKS, RAMON VILLALOBOS, BRITTNEY WILLIAMS (W/A)
Cover by CHIP ZDARSKY

THE BEYONDERS TRY THEIR (SCARY, EXTRA-DIMENSIONAL) HAND AT MARKETING:

• We are Beyond. Dreamers. Destroyers. All of reality our whim. And frankly… we get bored.

• These tales from across the multifarious domains of Battleworld – not of heroism or consequence, but of humor – provide a brief respite from millennia of omnipotence.

• We cannot be comprehended by the miniscule human mind. Turn your attention to this book instead of trying.

• You are welcome.

40 PGS./ONE SHOT/Rated T+ …$4.99

So hyped

Is She Hulks quote "most likely to have a beloved series cancelled" lol

Top Bottom