• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

ElNarez

Banned
oh yeah it was New Phonogram Day

gosh darn

that's the good stuff, the uncut stuff, the stuff with the jokes that require a glossary if you're not into The Pops and all that

oh yes it's nice

I am taking Zombines advice and I am retiring from ComicGAF.

So here I am with my thoughts of you
And this world I've left for me
Stoic faces when I think of you
And how I once believed
So now you call me, but you know I won't let you through
I've myself to decieve

So leave the memories alone
I don't want to see
The way it is, as to how it used to be
Leave the memories alone, don't change a thing
And I'll hold you here in my memory

You have to put over Launchpad on your way out. The end of the Hijinks Era, the dawn of the Valiant Generation. All posters will be required to have read everything ever written by Robert Vendetti. Yes, even the comic book versions of Percy Jackson.

Messi

Who's the Chris Benoit of comigaf?

tumblr_ln1j3e35GK1qg6sml.gif

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
oh yeah it was New Phonogram Day

gosh darn

that's the good stuff, the uncut stuff, the stuff with the jokes that require a glossary if you're not into The Pops and all that

oh yes it's nice

This is why I stopped getting Phonogram The Singles Club. I can recognize that it's a love letter to a lot of things that I know nothing about, but I can't justify spending money on it because so much of it goes over my head. It makes for good playlists, though.

LaMaqunion tho...:( I miss her. We drove her away didnt we?

We probably did, sadly.

This community was different then. I think we have all grown a lot since those days, as a group and in terms of taste in funnybooks. I think she would fit in better now than before.

I do like how helpful this community is to people who come in, it is something to be proud of IMO. Seeing it brought up in random OT threads about communities made me smile anyway.

Source or I don't believe you.

From this thread

Thank you for the kind words about LEGO GAF. I like to think we are welcoming there. I do wonder how many lurkers there are sometimes.

And yes, comic GAF is good people too, but damn does it move fast. But they are always helpful and kind.

Eh, lets be honest, there are quite a few communities (including sports) on gaf that are pretty insular and cliquish. It is what it is, I'm sure sometimes it's intentional and sometimes it's not.
manny.png

Other posters have already pointed out about being ignored/drowned out. There's quite a few exceptional communities though which seem really open to everyone like Lego and Comic gaf. I like to clown on marvel gaf sometimes but comic gaf is good people.

I don't go into Comic GAF but I appreciate your guys' recommendation threads as I begin my initial forays into different comic book things.

Should I start from issue one or...??

Wonder Woman (Rucka) #206 - #217: That was a great couple of arcs. Loved
the coup in Olympus by Athena and Co, and also Ares' takeover of Hell
. Rucka's Wonder Woman and her relationship to the pantheon and her outlook of the world is so different from what Chiang created. Love both of them but at this point, I think I slightly prefer Rucka's run just for the consistency and this version of Diana/Wonder Woman.

Flash (Johns) #219: That was a bit of an odd issue. What was it doing in the trades?

Wonder Woman (Rucka) #218-#224: What the fuck is this shit? Who are these Maxwell Lord and OMAC and Checkmate people? What happened to all the loose ends with Ares' and Circe's daughter and with Cale? Fuck events. Fuck DC and Marvel for pushing events. Johns and Didio and Alonso should be ashamed of themselves. I can see why any writer/artist with self respect would want to jump ship to Image and write what they want.

That Cheetah issue felt a bit random in the middle of all that but I liked it.

Wonder Woman (Rucka) #225-#226: I guess Rucka was at least able to salvage the last two issues. #225 was great and gave me a very Gary Cooper in High Noon vibe.

Overall, I would still call it a very good run that falls short of greatness because of that even stuff.

Wonder Woman (Rucka) #206 - #217: That was a great couple of arcs. Loved
the coup in Olympus by Athena and Co, and also Ares' takeover of Hell
. Rucka's Wonder Woman and her relationship to the pantheon and her outlook of the world is so different from what Chiang created. Love both of them but at this point, I think I slightly prefer Rucka's run just for the consistency and this version of Diana/Wonder Woman.

Flash (Johns) #219: That was a bit of an odd issue. What was it doing in the trades?

Wonder Woman (Rucka) #218-#224: What the fuck is this shit? Who are these Maxwell Lord and OMAC and Checkmate people? What happened to all the loose ends with Ares' and Circe's daughter and with Cale? Fuck events. Fuck DC and Marvel for pushing events. Johns and Didio and Alonso should be ashamed of themselves. I can see why any writer/artist with self respect would want to jump ship to Image and write what they want.

That Cheetah issue felt a bit random in the middle of all that but I liked it.

Wonder Woman (Rucka) #225-#226: I guess Rucka was at least able to salvage the last two issues. #225 was great and gave me a very Gary Cooper in High Noon vibe.

Overall, I would still call it a very good run that falls short of greatness because of that even stuff.
Flash #219 was the first part of a crossover that continued in WW #214.

Everything after WW #218 tied into O.M.A.C., "Sacrifice" and Infinite Crisis. Rucka hoped that once the event was over he could continue to tell his story, but Didio and Johns wanted to take advantage of the relaunch to reboot Wonder Woman, and Rucka bowed out rather than follow their directives. The Cheetah issue was part of Greg's initial plan to revamp the character as a tragic mirror to Diana, but because Rucka left nothing materialized.

Goddamn Batman was fantastic. The best thing about Snyder's run is his Alfred.

Agreed. He's done a great job of emphasizing that relationship. His whole dialogue with Clark this issue was... masterful. You can really feel his sadness for what was lost, but his overriding desire to see Bruce happy overcomes that.

Flash #219 was the first part of a crossover that continued in WW #214.

Everything after WW #218 tied into O.M.A.C., "Sacrifice" and Infinite Crisis. Rucka hoped that once the event was over he could continue to tell his story, but Didio and Johns wanted to take advantage of the relaunch to reboot Wonder Woman, and Rucka bowed out rather than follow their directives. The Cheetah issue was part of Greg's initial plan to revamp the character as a tragic mirror to Diana, but because Rucka left nothing materialized.

Of course they did. -_-

Is this the reason Rucka doesn't write for DC anymore? Can't blame him one bit.

This has really gotten me down. Twice in two weeks that I was really into a series and some random shitty event brought everything to a screeching halt.

Of course they did. -_-

Is this the reason Rucka doesn't write for DC anymore? Can't blame him one bit.

This has really gotten me down. Twice in two weeks that I was really into a series and some random shitty event brought everything to a screeching halt.

Rucka wrote Question after that, rather famously. And he just did so again in Convergence.

So... no.

Are there any events in the middle of Perez's Wonder Woman run? If so, please let me know so I can not buy them.

Rucka wrote Question after that, rather famously. And he just did so again in Convergence.

So... no.

Hmm, I remember someone saying that he doesn't write for DC and Marvel anymore.

Post convergence DC books have hit the CMX discounts. Woot

Catwoman #41 - the sequence when she hears the news about batman was really well done.
Gotham Academy #41 - Maps and Damian. Fun stuff

Top Bottom