• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Messi

I'm just going to say it.

She looks like a dude.

No lies detected

Post convergence DC books have hit the CMX discounts. Woot

Catwoman #41 - the sequence when she hears the news about batman was really well done.
Gotham Academy #41 - Maps and Damian. Fun stuff

7d58aae695470e68145f6290a1106101.gif

Messi

Ummm..... I'm quite sure she was mentioned by name in the panel she appeared in in one of the last couple issues. Y'all ain't paying attention.

I knew it was her, but it doesnt look like her is what I am saying. I knew she was commissioner from Detective Comics.

Ummm..... I'm quite sure she was mentioned by name in the panel she appeared in in one of the last couple issues. Y'all ain't paying attention.

I just read the last 3, and in the #41 they call her Commissioner Sawyer, and in #42 is when Gordon actually calls her Maggie. Even then, I was like, "Maggie? Who the fuck is he talking to?" Then it dawned on me.

This is coming from someone who barely reads any DC, so I'm not privy to the finer details like Mags being commish beforehand.

Those two convergence issues were really great.

They were! Convergence as a whole is a little bit undersold, honestly, some of those minis were pretty good.

I think they would have, on average, benefitted from being oversized oneshots, though. Splitting stuff into 2 issues seemed to hurt the pacing more often than not; imagine if something like Blue Beetle came out all at once, rather than being split like it was?

Are there any events in the middle of Perez's Wonder Woman run? If so, please let me know so I can not buy them.

Hmm, I remember someone saying that he doesn't write for DC and Marvel anymore.

That person was wrong, I guess.

Post convergence DC books have hit the CMX discounts. Woot

Catwoman #41 - the sequence when she hears the news about batman was really well done.
Gotham Academy #41 - Maps and Damian. Fun stuff

Was a little disappointed in the Damian issue, tbpf. Felt a bit forced.

Oh man. Mr. Bloom is rad.
IKR?
First issue that felt like a misstep to me. But the issue after was really good so I will forgive them.
I guess part of me was hoping he'd
be a recurring character. Still enrolled in the academy, if not a member of the main cast. Brave new world, no hard canon, etc. So it was kind of irrationally disappointing in that sense.

Also wish they'd managed to work his cameo into the main plot, so that wasn't so great either.

I guess part of me was hoping he'd be a recurring character. Still enrolled in the academy, if not a member of the main cast. Brave new world, no hard canon, etc. So it was kind of irrationally disappointing in that sense.

Also wish they'd managed to work his cameo into the main plot, so that wasn't so great either.

wow, I was pretty hyped for him being in it; that's disappointing...

Are there any events in the middle of Perez's Wonder Woman run? If so, please let me know so I can not buy them.
In the middle? Uhh, not that I recall but at the end of the run Wonder Woman was the focal point of the "War of the Gods" crossover, which I admittedly haven't read but have heard that it ranks right up there with "Amazons Attack" among the worst DC crossover events ever published.

Yep, there are a total of two DC events starring Wonder Woman -- and they're both stinkers.

whatsinaname said:
Hmm, I remember someone saying that he doesn't write for DC and Marvel anymore.
Rucka didn't quit DC over leaving Wonder Woman early; he continued to write other series for them, including 52 and Checkmate and Action Comics.

He did declare that he was "done with DC" after Didio took Wonder Woman: Earth One away from him and gave it to Morrison; he left Batwoman in Williams III's hands, took a break, then came back doing work at Marvel and Image. Years have passed since then, and he has recently written a few stories for DC like the Convergence: Question mini. So, the relationship between Rucka and DC (read: Didio) has mended to the point that he will do a project that he likes, but regular work with them is probably still off the table.

Messi

Olive and Maps are such wonderful characters. When they put those two together it is magic on the page. Maps doesn't work quite so well with others but bouncing her energy off of Olive just works.

In the middle? Uhh, not that I recall but at the end of the run Wonder Woman was the focal point of the "War of the Gods" crossover, which I admittedly haven't read but have heard that it ranks right up there with "Amazons Attack" among the worst DC crossover events ever published.

Yep, there are a total of two DC events starring Wonder Woman -- and they're both stinkers.

Rucka didn't quit DC over leaving Wonder Woman early; he continued to write other series for them, including 52 and Checkmate and Action Comics.

He did declare that he was "done with DC" after Didio took Wonder Woman: Earth One away from him and gave it to Morrison; he left Batwoman in Williams III's hands, took a break, then came back doing work at Marvel and Image. Years have passed since then, and he has recently written a few stories for DC like the Convergence: Question mini. So, the relationship between Rucka and DC (read: Didio) has mended to the point that he will do a project that he likes, but regular work with them is probably still off the table.

Thanks for the info. Would you say the rest of the Perez run still holds up well?

Messi

Messi, did you read Bombshells #1? This is some good girly hijinks.

I read the first one digitally but the pages clearly being cut in two bothered me so I decided to wait for the full digital issues and then I forgot to buy it today. lol.

The Batwoman story was good. I am glad they
kept her and Mags together

Did he get banned here?

No but he is currently mia. When he gets banned he goes on cbr.

Thanks for the info. Would you say the rest of the Perez run still holds up well?
Gets more uneven the further out it gets, I'd say. Also, Perez would sometimes do entire issues as prose essays and letters from characters accompanied by his illustrations, and those can be a chore to get through as they keep popping up throughout his run.

Messi

Just added all the secret wars tie in trades to my comics wish list on amazon uk. Christ this is gonna be expensive.

Yousefb

Man I just got back home from a long crappy day at the clinic. I'm exhausted, I'm feeling a bit sick, I'm gonna collapse in any second, but it's all good cause there's comics waiting for me to read! Batman, Secret Wars, and Master of Kung Fu here we go.

Bii

Man I just got back home from a long crappy day at the clinic. I'm exhausted, I'm feeling a bit sick, I'm gonna collapse in any second, but it's all good cause there's comics waiting for me to read! Batman, Secret Wars, and Master of Kung Fu here we go.

Comics is always a great pick-me-up. I was in training and meetings all day and managed to fit in a reading of Secret Wars #5 shortly after work. Feels good.

oh yeah it was New Phonogram Day

gosh darn

that's the good stuff, the uncut stuff, the stuff with the jokes that require a glossary if you're not into The Pops and all that

oh yes it's nice

it's fuckin weird that this came out and i haven't even read it and probably won't have time til later tonight or tomorrow

Yousefb

BATMAN 43 was pretty good i thought. They definitely got my attention with where the story is heading. I also really dig the new Batsuit.
that shark fight scene though

Yo Mr Bloom is really fucking creepy.
that final page :|
Outta nowhere.

Agreed. He's done a great job of emphasizing that relationship. His whole dialogue with Clark this issue was... masterful. You can really feel his sadness for what was lost, but his overriding desire to see Bruce happy overcomes that.
Well said. This was fantastic.

Also I love Capullo's art so much but why are his faces so similar! Looking at you Clark.

Comics is always a great pick-me-up. I was in training and meetings all day and managed to fit in a reading of Secret Wars #5 shortly after work. Feels good.
Indeed it does man. Time for Secret Wars

Busaiku

Ok, that's enough of The Wicked and The Divine.
Basically if anyone likes a character, they will die.
The story's not strong enough without the good characters.

Ok, that's enough of The Wicked and The Divine.
Basically if anyone likes a character, they will die.
The story's not strong enough without the good characters.

The only bearable characters are Laura, Innana, and Baph
and, well, that's 2 out of 3 down already lol

Top Bottom