• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

http://leethomson.myzen.co.uk/Planetary_Proposal.pdf

This is great. Ellis' original proposal for Planetary.

What if, underneath all that, there was an entire classic old superhero world? What if there were huge Jack Kirby temples underground built by old gods or new, and ghostly cowboys riding the highways of the West for justice, and superspies in natty suits and 360-degree-vision shades fighting cold wars in the dark, and strange laughing killers kept in old Lovecraftian asylums... what if you had a hundred years of superhero history just slowly leaking out into this young and modern superhero world of the Wildstorm Universe?

basically, we treat each issue like a new single from a band, and so each cover will look unique in its own right.

Each cover will be put together according to its own distinct plan, which I'll write and otherwise spout on about. The logo will be moved, altered, shrunk, ghosted, warped and sometimes even removed completely, according to each cover's goals. Because each cover will speak directly to the issue's contents in a way that most covers don't. If we do an issue set in Hong Kong, the cover will look like a still from a Hong Kong movie. If we do an issue in Japan, then we'll look like the cover of a manga magazine. If we do a gothic horror issue set in England, then the cover will look like a Cocteau Twins CD. If Milan, then we'll look like Italian Vogue. You get the idea. No matter how much we change the cover design, people will still find the thing on the comics store racks, because it won't look like anything else. We will be recognisable simply by dint of
being the one superhero book that isn't following the rules about cover design. It's the one that doesn't revert to six people standing on a rock in fighting position...

One of the harder thing to craft in regards to the OT is how everyone tends to be at various stages in reading TWD. We have new readers, people in the middle, people who are caught up, and everyone wants to talk about wherever they are. I wanted to create a "Days of Future Past" type survivor picture that would detail who's who, and who is alive/dead, but that could deter or hurt new readers who want to experience a lot of this stuff clean. It's a weird balance to try and find, but I think I'm getting there.

Much like the Secret Warz thread, anything 24 hours after release is free game. Best way to go on about it, since it's the regular readers that stay up to date that'll keep the thread alive.

Owzers

mehhhh new galaxy tab s models appear to be copies of the ipad air but with the AMOLED screens. 9.7'' instead of 10.1'', and 4:3 aspect ratio instead of 16:10 or whatever. Apple, reveal the 12'' ipad pro!

Though the downside to a 12'' tablet with MU reading is the lower resolution comics on a larger screen.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Y'all were not lying about the opening page of Squirrel Girl this week. That was amazing. If they want to do that instead of a re-cap page every month, I'd be very fine with it.

Secret Wars was cool too. As long as he sticks the landing, this will definitely be the best Marvel event in a long time.

Gotham Academy was as great as always, but I can't help but read it just assuming that it's going to be cancelled which makes it all a little bittersweet.

And Secret Wars Battleworld 4 has a beautiful as hell Stokoe Egyptian Silver Surfer vs Galactus thing.

I dont like how Snyder often fails to deliver a satisfying ending for his stories. They often start prett good, but most of his arcs ending very mediocre. This and the hype here always turn me off a little bit.

None of his endings are really endings in Batman. They've been building towards where we are now.

That thread still doesn't have a Valiant section. It's a disaster in my eyes.

You should make a thread when the inevitable second Valiant Humble Bundle arrives.

Stop being such a clip on tie m8

Giant Bomb reference?

One of the harder thing to craft in regards to the OT is how everyone tends to be at various stages in reading TWD. We have new readers, people in the middle, people who are caught up, and everyone wants to talk about wherever they are. I wanted to create a "Days of Future Past" type survivor picture that would detail who's who, and who is alive/dead, but that could deter or hurt new readers who want to experience a lot of this stuff clean. It's a weird balance to try and find, but I think I'm getting there.

I'd be interested in a Walking Dead comics thread.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I'll read it when I get to it
STOP PRESSURING ME PEOPLE!

You have it and haven't read it yet!?
Dude.
...I really shouldn't be talking. I've got so much stuff unread.

But seriously. The Invisibles is brilliant. Morrison's comics are just incredible.

Best thing about Squirrel Girl 8 is that you just know that there's no way in hell Ewing and some other folk won't reuse all that loki stuff.

Also that epilogue. #sogood

So he pulls a Hickmann and Robobat is the big Climax?

The big climax is getting a different type of Bruce Wayne in the suit. His whole run is about how Bruce's obsession isn't good for him or the family. I wouldn't be surprised if Bruce is a mix of his old and new self by issue 50 and Snyder and Capullo sign on for 25 more issues. In that run you'll see how that mix is better for Bruce and everyone around him.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Best thing about Squirrel Girl 8 is that you just know that there's no way in hell Ewing and some other folk won't reuse all that loki stuff.

Also that epilogue. #sogood

I loved the epilogue so much. I almost closed the issue when I hit the letter page, too. Would have missed it completely.

The big climax is getting a different type of Bruce Wayne in the suit. His whole run is about how Bruce's obsession isn't good for him or the family. I wouldn't be surprised if Bruce is a mix of his old and new self by issue 50 and Snyder and Capullo sign on for 25 more issues. In that run you'll see how that mix is better for Bruce and everyone around him.

Thought Capullo said he was coming off monthlies, or am I misremembering?

Ophelion

But seriously. The Invisibles is brilliant. Morrison's comics are just incredible.

It's criminal how good Morrison's comics are. I feel like I'm getting away with something just being permitted to read them. I keep looking around expecting executives to snatch the comic from my hands and try to stamp it out before it gains sentience and kills them all...which come to think of it was practically the plot of that one Multiversity issue.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I dont want to call him a bad writter, but a good one should be able to tell this kind of developement and actually give his storys good statisfying endings.
Who cares when we have after 50 issues a slightly different Bruce Wayne but 10 storys with bad endings?

He was having some health issues, and thought the stress of the monthly schedule was making it worse. He might have said that Batman was going to be his last monthly ongoing?

Yes, that's what it was.

I dont want to call him a bad writter, but a good one should be able to tell this kind of developement and actually give his storys good statisfying endings.
Who cares when we have after 50 issues a slightly different Bruce Wayne but 10 storys with bad endings?

At least two of his Batman stories, Black Mirror and DotF, had great endings, so it's not all of them.

Zombine

Banned
TWD Comic Thread of Dont Spoilers Open Inside {OT} !!!

Im, like, 60 ishs behind. Dont even know if there's a more modern meme. Checked out shortly after the one eyed dude facehugged his zombie daughter.

Lol I was going to make it TWD Comic Spoiler |OT| I have no idea who these people are

But "Don't Dead Open Inside" is amazing lol

Thought Capullo said he was coming off monthlies, or am I misremembering?

He hinted at extending the contract.

It's criminal how good Morrison's comics are. I feel like I'm getting away with something just being permitted to read them. I keep looking around expecting executives to snatch the comic from my hands and try to stamp it out before it gains sentience and kills them all...which come to think of it was practically the plot of that one Multiversity issue.

He is the best. Only dude that gives you the whole package these days. I really want to see his journals he gives the artist.

The problem is you thinking the arcs are ending. The Court of Owls is the only complete story he has written but it still set up stuff for the future of the series. DotF was the prequel to Endgame and set up some history things for Zero Year. Zero Year was a set up for Endgame and this current run. There hasn't been 10 stories. It's one story broken into chapters.

Lol I was going to make it TWD Comic Spoiler |OT| I have no idea who these people are

But "Don't Dead Open Inside" is amazing lol

For what it's worth, I think you should gear it towards new readers, because I feel like the people who don't read or aren't up to date outnumber the ones that have read the latest issue. It would be a rather small community. Maybe after awhile you can change the name or open up a new one as more people catch up.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The finish the chapters unsatisfying.

OK, he really seems to pull of a FF Hickmann. But even reading Hickman, I felt really satisfied after each chapter.

Zombine

Banned
For what it's worth, I think you should gear it towards new readers, because I feel like the people who don't read or aren't up to date outnumber the ones that have read the latest issue. It would be a rather small community. Maybe after awhile you can change the name or open up a new one as more people catch up.

So what you're saying is that the best choice is "Don't Dead Open Inside"?

The finish the chapters unsatisfying.

OK, he really seems to pull of a FF Hickmann. But even reading Hickman, I felt really satisfied after each chapter.

See, I felt the opposite; Hickman's "chapters" do nothing for me. Individually, they're resoundingly mediocre. It's only the building crescendo that makes his stuff worthwhile.

Snyder's "chapters" don't have terribly satisfying endings, true, but each of them in and of themselves feels mostly complete. You can read Zero Year and Savage City and get a satisfying conclusion at the end of it.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Haha. Spoken like a true Morrison fan.

None of his endings are really endings in Batman. They've been building towards where we are now.

I can see what you are saying. But unlike say something like Robinson's Starman or Chiang/Azarello's Wonder Woman, they also can't seem to completely abandon the more procedural/traditional arc structure. So when I am reading it, it does feel like I am going from arc to arc and the endings have been a bit of a let down.

Top Bottom