• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Both Hellboy movies are pretty dang good. Liked the second one more, even if the first had the clockwork sand ninja nazi

The second movie is the most post-Mouth of Madness lovecratian movie there is.
Loved it to hell and I really need to rewatch booth. Should buy the BRDs when I buy the Library Editions.

Loved it to hell and I really need to rewatch booth. Should buy the BRDs when I buy the Library Editions.

Never seen the second one, but I've heard mixed things. Waiting for it to hit Netflix at this point.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle

I really need to finish part 1 and catch part 2. I love the comic, haven't caught any of the Abe or BPRD books though. I wasn't too crazy about some of the changes in the movie even though I just love del Toro. Maybe I was just in a shitty mood. I need to give them a better chance.

The animated stuff is cool. I'd like to check out the BPRD and Lobster Johnson stuff but there's JUST SO MUCH. I'm only up to the point in the HB series where I've read "The Conqueror Worm". I'm a huge Lovecraft fan, and a huge Occult and killing Nazis fan. HB has it all.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I really need to dive into Hellboy.
Man, I hate thats its to late for birthday wishes, I would ask my brother if he could give me one :D

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just watched the full Trump speech in Michigan from yesterday.
It's scary that I'm saying this, but he's legitimately growing on me... I can see why people like him now. He's still absolutely ridiculous, but I can see how it could work.

Regarding GM - His Japan/Lord Death Issues in Batman Inc. were great.

So good.

Ophelion

Regarding GM - His Japan/Lord Death Issues in Batman Inc. were great.

That was awesome. Also really liked the Black Glove stuff too. Though, I still think the Professor Pyg story at the beginning of Batman and Robin is probably my favorite Batman story ever. Not as deep as Snyder's Black Mirror, but ten billion times more fun...I've never been so stoked to check the last page for the preview of what was happening next as when Batman and Robin was coming out.

I created an entire roleplaying setting based on that version of the Batman mythos for my friends, I was so hyped about those comics. As it turns out, making up Batman villains is a whole hell of a lot of fun.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Being the newbie I am the only Morrison I've read is Nameless, but I am EAGERLY awaiting issue #5 this September. For some reason I thought it was out on 8/26 but looking now I guess it is 9/9, sadly.

https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/nameless-5

I truly recommend the series if you haven't already tried it.

For my part, thanks to my Unlimited subscription I've been REALLY digging into Marvel books of late. I read Fraction's Hawkeye, The most recent Doctor Strange arcs of note, and have been reading the 2009 run of Ghost Rider and am continuing up through all the Jason Aaron-authored books. I see the series is only decently received but I've really liked it.

I LOVED the issue with Danny Ketch versus the Trucker from Hell. In the letters to the Editor section it mentioned that that villain was from a series Marvel did in the early Eighties about a Trucker who can hear CB radio in his head due to a metal plate. That shit sounds dumb as hell, but the Demon Trucker was rad. Has anyone read the 80's series? it was called like "C.B. 401" or some shit.

EDIT: "U.S. #1"! lol http://io9.com/10-comics-marvel-would-desperately-like-to-forget-they-1508292020

How do I Hellboy?
Birdie posted a good list but I'd also recommend checking out Hellboy and The BPRD 1952 after Seeds of Destruction. It's a great story that takes place in the past and is pretty accessible.

I've read that, three BPRD omnis, three Hellboy LEs, and I'm halfway through the fourth and everything is so damn good.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I love some good-old Morrison discussion. It had been a while since we had a good Morrison chat.

Anyways, just finished the first arc of The Invisibles and I think stuff is about to go from batshit crazy to totally mindfuck insane now. I'm very much looking forward to it. :D

Ophelion

I love some good-old Morrison discussion. It had been a while since we had a good Morrison chat.

Anyways, just finished the first arc of The Invisibles and I think stuff is about to go from batshit crazy to totally mindfuck insane now. I'm very much looking forward to it. :D

Have fun base jumping off the bleeding edge of human imagination!

Warning: Mainlining The Invisibles may cause Paranoia, Confusion, Time Loss, Gender Fluidity, Existentialism and, in rare cases, Awakening to the True Secrets of the Universe. Do not take Invisibles more than twice a day. If any trip lasts longer than a few hours, seek help immediately.

I still want to do the Hawkeye Reading Club :( when do you guys want to do it?

And I also vote for doing a Superior Foes club when the omni comes out...

Zombine

Banned
Being the newbie I am the only Morrison I've read is Nameless, but I am EAGERLY awaiting issue #5 this September. For some reason I thought it was out on 8/26 but looking now I guess it is 9/9, sadly.

For my part, thanks to my Unlimited subscription I've been REALLY digging into Marvel books of late. I read Fraction's Hawkeye, The most recent Doctor Strange arcs of note, and have been reading the 2009 run of Ghost Rider and am continuing up through all the Jason Aaron-authored books. I see the series is only decently received but I've really liked it.

I LOVED the issue with Danny Ketch versus the Trucker from Hell. In the letters to the Editor section it mentioned that that villain was from a series Marvel did in the early Eighties about a Trucker who can hear CB radio in his head due to a metal plate. That shit sounds dumb as hell, but the Demon Trucker was rad. Has anyone read the 80's series? it was called like "C.B. 401" or some shit.

EDIT: "U.S. #1"! lol http://io9.com/10-comics-marvel-would-desperately-like-to-forget-they-1508292020

Glad you dig Nameless! Book is so damn good!

I think I'm going to wait for the second OHC, so that's where I'm at. I'll just throw that out there, but don't work around me if it's too much of an inconvenience.

Superior Foes definitely when the omni is out.

Professor Pyg is the grossest bad guy ever. Just pure filth.

In the best way, though

Mudcrab

Isn't it awesome?
DPqDkEg.png

Aaron's ghost Rider is phenomenal. There's one issue that ends on a cliffhanger with all four major characters hurtling towards each other in an intersection

It is the second greatest moment in comics history

Ophelion

His "lovely little trotters" rant he does at Robin whilst dancing was the most amazing Super Villain monologue I've ever read
that I didn't understand a single word of.

Edit: That said, I have serious doubts about anyone other than Morrison actually making him engaging. He's a very specific kind of crazy that I don't think your joe average comic book writer would be able to effectively replicate. Several of his appearances since have been a huge letdown for me. Including his cameo in a certain video game...

Given I'm someone that has generally enjoyed Morrison's work, including the times I'm not 100% sure what's happening, is The Invisibles worth grabbing?

I'm so behind on comic gaf do to waiting around for Verizon all day to fix our internet. I have to say Batman was amazing
and they're totally going to use that machine somehow to bring Bruce back to being Batman

Ophelion

Mark Waid is awesome. What's everyone's favorite book by him?

Still Kingdom Come for me.

I am in love with beats of Kingdom Come, but don't like it quite as much when I look at the story as a whole. Does that make sense?

Birthright maybe? I really liked his first run on Indestructible Hulk too. Daredevil? Don't make me choose between my children!

i'm down

I'm still collecting the back issues but i think i almost have all of them
Mark Waid is awesome. What's everyone's favorite book by him?

Still Kingdom Come for me.

Daredevil holds a special place in my heart for being the first monthly ongoing series i got in on from #1

Yousefb

I am in love with beats of Kingdom Come, but don't like it quite as much when I look at the story as a whole. Does that make sense?

Birthright maybe? I really liked his first run on Indestructible Hulk too. Daredevil? Don't make me choose between my children!
Sure I get what you're saying! I can see how not everyone would love it. But to me the story coupled with Alex Ross art is perfecto. That scene where Superman straight up Kool-Aid Man's the Batcave is so great. Followed by the line from Bruce "so that's what that feels like" when Supes disappears on him lol.

I'm making my way up to his Daredevil can't wait to check it out

Mudcrab

I like Waid for the most part but he kinda lost me on the later portion of his DD run. Wish I could love it for the Samnee art alone.

Top Bottom