• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

One of the all time bests. Then you'll discover new levels of disappointment at what the TV show could have been. It's layed out for them in the comic. Little rework needed and they messed it up

But it's so much cooler to go back to the beginning when Bruce was a kid and-zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Since we're talking Hellboy, I just started the series a few days ago and it's great. I'm about to start awake the Devil tonight. The Library Edition is luscious.
I was thinking about getting this, but I might just get the TPBs, cheaper for the same amount. Not sure how I feel about hardcover/softvocer trades yet.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I was thinking about getting this, but I might just get the TPBs, cheaper for the same amount. Not sure how I feel about hardcover/softvocer trades yet.

Trust me, the Library Editions are WELL worth it. You will not regret buying them. I promise.
When you hold it in your hands, you'll know.

tim1138

New 52 Animal Man #20 - #29, Annual #2: The series lost a lot of momentum during rotworld but the last two trades provided a pretty decent wrap-up.
As long as they were willing to go the Deus Ex Machina route by introducing the Bridgewalker, why didn't they bring Cliff back? :(

And that Red Thunder stuff got dark. -_-

The only good thing to come out of Rotworld was Annual 2, that was such a touching issue.
I loved the juxtaposition of Foreman and Lemire's at in the final issue, the way it was framed within the story put a nice bookend on the run.

"Goodnight Cliffy..."

Now go and read Morrison's run.

gabbo

The only good thing to come out of Rotworld was Annual 2, that was such a touching issue.
I loved the juxtaposition of Foreman and Lemire's at in the final issue, the way it was framed within the story put a nice bookend on the run.

"Goodnight Cliffy..."

I've been holding off on going after Morrison's run after the Nu52 arc, mainly because the Omnibus is rather expensive. Is it worth going after?

"Goodnight Cliffy..."

Yeah, the second Annual was a pretty good issue.

I should get around to Morrison's run but I keep "saving" that for later.

One of the all time bests. Then you'll discover new levels of disappointment at what the TV show could have been. It's layed out for them in the comic. Little rework needed and they messed it up

Yes! Now when I tell people this, I'll actually know what I'm talking about!

Argh I guess I'll wait. I just bought Saga Vol 1 instead since its like 5 bucks on Amazon.

Take my word for it. I had my doubts about those library editions. Once I actually had one in my hands, I called my past self a moron and moved on to one of the best comics experiences of my life. Those library editions are literally the perfect way to read any comic.

tim1138

I've been holding off on going after Morrison's run after the Nu52 arc, mainly because the Omnibus is rather expensive. Is it worth going after?

If you're in the States Amazon has the omni for $37 (people complain about getting stuff damaged from them, but I've never had any issues) and instocktrades has it for $41. Either way you go it's worth the investment. It's my favorite thing by Morrison ever, and that's saying a lot.

Yeah, the second Annual was a pretty good issue.

I should get around to Morrison's run but I keep "saving" that for later.

Yeah you should correct that :D

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, you're in for a treat. Finished the whole series for the first time last month. Loved every single bit. I wish there was more.

My favorite bit of Gotham Central, that I'm really disappointed that nothing else has picked up, is the idea that there has to be a third party person to turn on the bat signal to keep the police from legal liability.It's such a great little detail.

Steve Lieber is the man

Replies to my tweets and favorites them

r1cn8LQ.png

I'm glad one comic book creator on Tumblr likes me

Messi

Stjepan Sejic and Jimmy Palmiotti both followed me on twitter which kind of made me quite happy. But nothing compared to the excitement I felt when Ann Nocenti replied to my catwoman tweet 2 weeks after I had sent it. I almost want to frame it.

m0JPKBZ.png

Super nice :)

ElNarez

Banned
Death Note was a good animu. Also, Shutter was great. This issue was so looney toons.

I feel both the manga and the anime would've been stronger if they cut at the halfway point, right after that one thing.

I also feel as a death penalty allegory it's stronger for it, like, sure it's a bummer to see it win but also that's how shit happens in Japan so

I feel both the manga and the anime would've been stronger if they cut at the halfway point, right after that one thing.

I also feel as a death penalty allegory it's stronger for it, like, sure it's a bummer to see it win but also that's how shit happens in Japan so

Do you mean the point where
L died and they brought in the two L jr. types? I thought that was the point where it might have gone off the rails. The way things turned out, poor Misa Misa.

What's worse you literally hear this criticism about Death Note verbatim 90% of the time.

The back half wasn't even close to being that bad.

Doesn't need to be that bad. Just needs to be a noticeable drop in quality.
Which is why, even though the man himself always advised breaking the rules as needed, the writer should always keep in mind the first rule:

Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel the time was wasted.

Might as well combo with the fourth:
Every sentence must do one of two things—reveal character or advance the action.

Which, obv, is when an editor should step in and bust the author's balls. That being his job and all.

ElNarez

Banned
Do you mean the point where
L died and they brought in the two L jr. types? I thought that was the point where it might have gone off the rails. The way things turned out, poor Misa Misa.

yeah, basically anything post L is just More Death Note, Except Kinda Bland, which is decent, but man, that first half, even when it gets convoluted to the point of self-parody, it's something real cool and special and unique

frye

Hold on a sec -- am I conflating Bakuman with reality when I'm remembering that the whole "second half" thing of Death Note was an editorial suggestion to extend a wildly popular manga?

ElNarez

Banned
Hold on a sec -- am I conflating Bakuman with reality when I'm remembering that the whole "second half" thing of Death Note was an editorial suggestion to extend a wildly popular manga?

It's what I heard too, and really it fits with how the manga industry proceeds, so, there's probably some truth to that?

Doesn't need to be that bad. Just needs to be a noticeable drop in quality.
Which is why, even though the man himself always advised breaking the rules as needed, the writer should always keep in mind the first rule:

Might as well combo with the fourth:

Which, obv, is when an editor should step in and bust the author's balls. That being his job and all.

While I agree with you (though clearly I don't know as much about written works as you), I wouldn't even say it was noticeable. People just salty over that one thing that happens. If nothing else had changed except for the one thing, people wouldn't say it so often.

frye

It's what I heard too, and really it fits with how the manga industry proceeds, so, there's probably some truth to that?

Yeah, I dunno if either of those dudes ever gave interviews explicitly saying it but there's something in Bakuman that definitely made me go "oh so that's why that thing in Death Note happened the way it did"

Yeah, I dunno if either of those dudes ever gave interviews explicitly saying it but there's something in Bakuman that definitely made me go "oh so that's why that thing in Death Note happened the way it did"

Never read Bakuman. What happened in it?

Put me down in the group that says Death Note ending halfway would have been better. Its still Ok to pretty good but that first half was soooo good

Messi

That's the plan, yeah.

Just read it. I am in looooove with everything about this book. It is so wonderful. Next issue is going to be amazing. That last page had me like woaaah.

Can't wait for that OHC!

Reread The Beauty #1. Fantastic first issue and Hauns art has gotten much better than it was in Batwoman where I already liked it. Colouring is great too. Interesting story that got its hooks in me.
Did that last page imply the detective had never had sex with his girlfriend?
Eager to see more. Anyone else have opinions on it? I know Korupt was getting it as his girlfriend wanted it so I hope he read it.

Top Bottom