• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Screw you guys. Without the second half of Death Note, we wouldn't have gotten Mikami

jMu1GrE.jpg

Yousefb

Ugh Death Note. What an amazing start. What a crazy middle. What the fuck kinda ending is this shit?

That was basically my train of emotions while watching Death Note.

Stupid Near.

My favorite bit of Gotham Central, that I'm really disappointed that nothing else has picked up, is the idea that there has to be a third party person to turn on the bat signal to keep the police from legal liability.It's such a great little detail.
Oh that was something that started in Gotham Central? Neat, I did not know that. Agreed with you completely.

Also it just felt very organic. All the characters and the dialog felt very real. Even with the backdrop of costumes and supervillains it still feels like you are reading about real lives of real people in a real world. Every character had a natural story which made for a world that felt alive.

My favorite arc was probably the one involving Mad Hatter. But it's honestly very hard to just pick one as I always change my mind about which is the best. Moreso than the arcs themselves is the little character moments that made the series stand out.

Bought The Beauty and I also grabbed that one Comixology submit book Why I Hate Saturn since I think I saw talk of it here. I don't feel like confirming but the name seems like it was talked about so I bought it.

Now I need to read them, but I don't know when that's gonna happen.

Messi

Bought The Beauty and I also grabbed that one Comixology submit book Why I Hate Saturn since I think I saw talk of it here. I don't feel like confirming but the name seems like it was talked about so I bought it.

Now I need to read them, but I don't know when that's gonna happen.

Yeah why I hate Saturn was the book.

frye

Never read Bakuman. What happened in it?

Put me down in the group that says Death Note ending halfway would have been better. Its still Ok to pretty good but that first half was soooo good

Bakuman is a manga by the Death Note guys about two aspiring mangka rising the ranks to become comics superstars. It's on one hand embedded in the tradition of many shonen manga ("I'm going to be the best at ___!") but also super fascinating because it's a look at the inner machinery of a weekly shonen manga magazine albeit in an exaggerated fashion. It's about stuff like the economics of making manga, the effort it takes to get a manga serialized, and the role of readers in continued serialization.

I forget exactly what it was that made me think of Death Note but there's one thing in Bakuman where there's an editorial suggestion to some character that the only way to keep their manga alive to change the genre to FIGHT MANGA

Just read it. I am in looooove with everything about this book. It is so wonderful. Next issue is going to be amazing. That last page had me like woaaah.

Can't wait for that OHC!

Shutter is just a joy to read. Can't wait for the hardcover.

Interesting story that got its hooks in me.
Did that last page imply the detective had never had sex with his girlfriend?
Eager to see more. Anyone else have opinions on it? I know Korupt was getting it as his girlfriend wanted it so I hope he read it.

Not sure. I mean, if you notice how
they used silhouettes in the sex scene, you couldn't see what she looked like when he got into bed with her. She might have been even hotter than she was that morning. Maybe she was cheating. The other possibility is that the virus mutated in the body on the subway and became airborne.

Yousefb

I'm about to read Warren Ellis Moon Knight. I bought volume 1 a while ago but I never got past the first issue. Maybe I wasn't in the right mindset for it. There's too much praise for this that I gotta give it another shot.

I just finished reading Planetary for the first time. I was not ready for that
Superman and Wonder Woman and Green Lantern death
issue. Also, Planetary Batman: Night on Earth has one of the greatest Batman scenes of all time, spawned by a simple question from an orphan to the Bat. "How do you cope?" Batman's response is incredible. It made me feel for his character more than most Bat-media ever has.

I'll forgive Squirrel Girl for using a Lemire-ism, but the most recent issue confirms that it is still, in fact, the best Marvel ongoing right now.

Messi

Shutter is just a joy to read. Can't wait for the hardcover.

Not sure. I mean, if you notice how
they used silhouettes in the sex scene, you couldn't see what she looked like when he got into bed with her. She might have been even hotter than she was that morning. Maybe she was cheating. The other possibility is that the virus mutated in the body on the subway and became airborne.

You are blowing my mind right now. I didn't think of any of those possibilities. I thought she had the beauty that morning as she looked pretty hot to me. I'd say it's most likely the virus is airborne now. The silhouettes thing is interesting now that you mention it.

Very good stuff

I just finished reading Planetary for the first time. I was not ready for that
Superman and Wonder Woman and Green Lantern death
issue. Also, Planetary Batman: Night on Earth has one of the greatest Batman scenes of all time, spawned by a simple question from an orphan to the Bat. "How do you cope?" Batman's response is incredible. It made me feel for his character more than most Bat-media ever has.

I'm sorry to tell you that comics just go downhill from there.

Ok, not really. But Planetary is a ridiculously high tier comic. That Batman issue is one of the best single issues ever.

I'll forgive Squirrel Girl for using a Lemire-ism, but the most recent issue confirms that it is still, in fact, the best Marvel ongoing right now.

Which Lemire-ism would that be? Though now that I think on it, I've read a bunch of his shit and I don't know his -isms off the top of my head.

The novelty of Launchpad posting about something non-Valiant got me reading Gotham Central too; the relationship between Harvey and Renee in the Convergence mini makes a lot more sense now.

Also, it's extremely good.

Foofaraw

Oh that was something that started in Gotham Central? Neat, I did not know that. Agreed with you completely.

Also it just felt very organic. All the characters and the dialog felt very real. Even with the backdrop of costumes and supervillains it still feels like you are reading about real lives of real people in a real world. Every character had a natural story which made for a world that felt alive.

My favorite arc was probably the one involving Mad Hatter. But it's honestly very hard to just pick one as I always change my mind about which is the best. Moreso than the arcs themselves is the little character moments that made the series stand out.

Oh man, I'm reading this right now. I'm on the last trade, and it has been totally engrossing. I wish Marvels had been more like this. You really feel the love hate relationship between the M.C.U. and the Bat-family. I wish there were more books like this.

On an unrelated note, I somehow missed out on issue 2 of Constantine: The Hellblazer, and neither comic shop I go to has it. I'm super bummed. I hope I can find it in Chicago when I go there next week. I love the artstyle and general charming shit-headed way John acts in the first issue. I really want more.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Lol Chew? Love that series. Actually one of the first comics I started buying and reading. Only got up to volume 5 though I should get back into it.

Edit: Speaking of, how are the hardcover editions? Omnivore or Smorgasbord?

Yep I just finished issue of issue 10 (end of vol 2) and I'm really enjoying it so far. I love all the little jokes hidden in the background of the art.

I'm all digital these days so I can't speak on the hardcovers.

3 years!!

So for all you Hawkguy people whining you have no idea. No idea.

eesh

That reminds me. The first con I went to was in Dallas where Cassaday was the guest of honor. In the program there was a bio on him, In it, it said he had a reputation of being slow artist but that its totally not true and that he is actually fast and that his books are constantly late because....reasons. I laughed and maybe eye rolled a little before asking him to sign my books like a giddy schoolgirl.

eesh

That reminds me. The first con I went to was in Dallas where Cassaday was the guest of honor. In the program there was a bio on him, In it, it said he had a reputation of being slow artist but that its totally not true and that he is actually fast and that his books are constantly late because....reasons. I laughed and maybe eye rolled a little before asking him to sign my books like a giddy schoolgirl.

I got books singed by him at a Dallas con too. This was probably when xmen issue 3 or 4 just came out. I'm in a line with everyone holding their Xmen comics to get signed, falling that marvel hype train. I showed up with Planetary Hard covers for him to sign. Yea. I felt superior. ;)

Yousefb

Yep I just finished issue of issue 10 (end of vol 2) and I'm really enjoying it so far. I love all the little jokes hidden in the background of the art.

I'm all digital these days so I can't speak on the hardcovers.
That's exactly what I loved about it! Not only is the writing hilarious but there are visual gags everywhere. It's really one the most "animated" comics I've ever read.

I'm really digging the new faces here. Please don't post once and vanish forever.

km3b.gif

3 years!!

And yes. Cassaday did all of his xmen during the gap. I believe Ellis did fell and other things.

I would have died waiting on this comic. It would've been too much, especially after the issue I talked about in spoilers earlier. Also, a friend of mine holds the opinion Ellis has had better works, so maybe comics won't just go downhill from here. I hope.
The Shadow being the son of the Lone Ranger and the illegitimate father of one of the villains was just pandering to me, though.

Yousefb

So just read through the first 3 issues of Moon Knight and yeah, I did not give this a fair chance the first time around. I love how each issue has a different color theme, makes the art pop out. Issue 3 really looks great. But I like the 2nd issue the most right now. The sniper scene is sweet.

Also for some reason whenever the "Marvel presents Moon Knight" panels show up Riders on the Storm by the Doors plays in my head lol.

I'm sorry to tell you that comics just go downhill from there.

Ok, not really. But Planetary is a ridiculously high tier comic. That Batman issue is one of the best single issues ever.

Cassaday's art kind of went downhill from that issue, at least. It started serviceable, reached god-tier there... and ended serviceable again.

3 years!!

And yes. Cassaday did all of his xmen during the gap. I believe Ellis did fell and other things.

I remember checking the Wildstorm solicitations for every single month of those three years. Plus I had come in late to Planetary, with no hope of finding any of the floppies since Volume 3, and obviously Volume 4 wasn't coming out until the last issue did... It was a long wait.

Also happened during that gap: two reboots of The Authority and the post-apocalyptic Wildstorm universe event. Reading the Planetary pitch now, it's hilarious how you had to completely ignore the shared universe for the ending to work at all.

Anyone think that Planetary actually started ten years too early? It would have worked pretty well with rotating artists, which I don't think was really a concept for ongoings when it started.

Owzers

I don't watch anime....it's a foreign concept to me.

I did read some more of that Dungeons and Dragons humble bundle book, vol 1 from that guy, and it's still really good.

Foofaraw

I'm really digging the new faces here. Please don't post once and vanish forever.

I joined in 2009 and I'm still a junior. All signs point to Batman vanish.

Did anyone read any Justice League United? I was really excited for it, because it was Lemire coming off of Animal Man, and it had Animal Man in it. I have the first 12 issues, but I've only read about 5. They are very dull. Just so lifeless. Did they pick up at some point? How did Lemire have two characters that he was doing awesome on in solo books and turn out really dull stuff?

Owzers

I'm going to watch Death Note on netflix this weekend to see what all the fuss is about. People and their anime....ridiculous.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I went to a comic shop today with a bunch of cash in my pocket wanting to buy an action figure. There were a few that were really close to something I wanted, but not quite.
Like, I saw a Martha Washington action figure, which I had no idea existed, and I was stoked to find it, but it was an absolutely awful figure.
And then I saw Preacher action figures, but again, they were just awful figures.
Then I saw an Orion (New Gods line) action figure that was only $12 and super good quality, but they didn't have Darkseid and it looks like the Darkseid figure goes for like $50, so I couldn't just get Orion and I didn't get it.

I tried though. I tried.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Darth Vader #1 was awesome. Have the Star Wars stuff held up in the following months? These first issues are great

Darth Vader #1 was awesome. Have the Star Wars stuff held up in the following months? These first issues are great
I agree. I still think the Star Wars is stronger. And mostly because all dialogue in the comic feels like it could have been from the classic movies. Vader feels a bit different in that regard

ElNarez

Banned

Darth Vader is clearly the highlight, but Star Wars itself is not that bad, and that latest issue, going into what Obi Wan did when he got on Tatooine, is excellent. When it's going into the actual gaps, like "How the fuck did Darth Vader, who was responsible for the Empire's biggest defeat ever, still running shit by the time Empire starts?" they've found great stories to tell, but when it's just More Star Wars it starts getting shakier.

I joined in 2009 and I'm still a junior. All signs point to Batman vanish.

Did anyone read any Justice League United? I was really excited for it, because it was Lemire coming off of Animal Man, and it had Animal Man in it. I have the first 12 issues, but I've only read about 5. They are very dull. Just so lifeless. Did they pick up at some point? How did Lemire have two characters that he was doing awesome on in solo books and turn out really dull stuff?
I did and it doesn't get much better. Lemire is a writer that seems really hit or miss.

Squire

Banned
Thank you.

No problem.

I did and it doesn't get much better. Lemire is a writer that seems really hit or miss.

It's because it's a team book. He told CBR straight up that he wasn't happy with the team books he'd done up until getting the X-Men gig.

I think Green Arrow is really solid from what I read. This first arc of All-New Hawkeye would've been better as a graphic novel. The actual writing is fine, in my honest opinion. But the pace and the focus on flashing back to stuff anyone that knows Hawkeye knows is really poorly suited for a monthly book. I think the next arc of Hawkeye and his X-Men books will be better.

Top Bottom