• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Sandfox

That first arc of BND was so jarring. Whether you supported the breakup of the marriage or not, it just felt weird to go from a dark tragedy to a story with this really forced, disingenuous "hey guys, we're all having wacky fun, right?!" energy.

A few copies of the first BND got sent to me by troll friends, and I used crumpled up pages as packing material for a while.

I get that, but I liked the focus on Peter's social life, the new characters, and mysteries. It was also the only book I read back then besides Ultimate Spider-Man so triple shipping was cool with me lol.

kmfdmpig

I missed that kind of Peter Parker stuff until we got Kamala. She's the "everyman" I want in 2016.
Agreed. She is perfect for that role. Before her Invincible was good for that. New Super-man seems like it might be as well although it's a bit too early to tell.
Wonder what happened to Messi.

Brother Messi has been #BROKEN between the Thread of Official Comics on the Neological Gaming Age Forums, the delays of Warfare Most Civil the Second at Marvellous Comics and the sweeping changes of Renewal of Birth at Comics Detection.

Prepare the OT....for MASSACRE!

I thought BND was a breath of fresh air for ASM cuz it was aint shit for YEARS before that

like basically since Romita Jr left it was event tie-ins and really decompressed stuff. So 3-issue "fun" spider-man stories with the sub-plots, goblin mysteries, new art styles, new romantic interests, supporting characters, rogues...that was the hotness.

plus Mr. Negative and his bad guys are dope

TheFlow? What's the pool on me up to right now? What's it up to? What is it, three hundred dollars -- is that it? Three hundred?
I'm a school teacher. I teach English Composition in this little town called Adley, Pennsylvania. The last eleven years, I've been at Thomas Alva Edison High School. I was coach of the baseball team in the spring time.
Back home when I tell people what I do for a living, they think, well, that, that figures.
But over here it's a big, a big mystery. So I guess I've changed some.
Sometimes I wonder if I've changed so much my wife is even gonna recognize me whenever it is I get back to her -- and how I'll ever be able to tell her about days like today.
saving-private-ryan-tom-hanks.gif

Man, I love Marvel NOW oversized hardcovers. They're built exactly the same as their omnis (unlike their older ones which had glued bindings while the omnis had sewn), they're MOSTLY affordable, and they're the perfect size to be able to read them anywhere, at around 250-400 pages in general.

Got a pretty nice collection of them now. I still need to get: Daredevil Vol. 4 and 5, Superior Spider-Man Vol. 1 and 2, Amazing Spider-man Vol. 2, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, and All-New X-Men Vol. 4 (just got Vol. 3 today).

eNhJyFc.jpg

I mean, I spent money on Battle of the Atom, but only the TPB. Why would you ever spend money on the OHC?

frye

i guess we're done talking about it but for real the only reason you should care about comic book sales is if you're a retailer or a historian or a creator, pretty much nobody reads the kinds of comics that get reported in sales charts and even fewer buy them.

1upsuper

When I picked up volume 2 of the Secret Six the employee (and an acquaintance of mine, we usually talk action figures) learned that I'm new to comics, he talked me into trying Batman: The Court of Owls. I know I said earlier that I'm not big on Batman. I bit on his recommendation.

I really liked it.

I'm something of a grecophile so the ancient Greek (and Roman) references were up my alley.
Batman's time in the labyrinth was definitely the highlight. The owls acting as both the minotaur and Daedalus wasn't exactly breaking new ground, but Batman's own metamorphosis acting as an internal minotaur was quite interesting. My typical issue with Batman was always that he seemed one note, overly brutal, and too perfect in the films. Seeing his emotional turmoil in the labyrinth was for that reason very interesting and engaging for me. It's a side of him I haven't seen before. I'm probably going to keep with it. Honestly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It also gave me A Woman Called Mine Fujiko vibes, if anyone has watched that.

Finally decided to finish Starlin's Infinity trilogy (Revelation, Relativity, Finale). Good lord. I think I've had my fill of cosmic Marvel for a bit and a piece. Although, where in the timeline that this takes place is of slight concern

Hagi

Still plodding through Bruce Wayne Murderer? it's really weird seeing everyone be so distrustful of Bruce to the point where they doubt his innocence. I felt bad for Dick because he didn't really get why Babs and Tim were acting that way or maybe he did but he thought they would have a little more faith in him at least. I prefer happy bat families to whatever is going on round this time period. I need some context for Bruce telling Steph about Tim being Robin because that left me scratching my head.

What'd Messi do? What is that avatar?

TheFlow strikes again. That's from his favourite girly hijinks sexy bondage book Sunstone. For Mature Readers Only.

dan2026

Why anyone would buy a comic seeing Land's name on the cover is beyond me.

I aint giving people money to trace images off the internet.

TheFlow

Banned
Still plodding through Bruce Wayne Murderer? it's really weird seeing everyone be so distrustful of Bruce to the point where they doubt his innocence. I felt bad for Dick because he didn't really get why Babs and Tim were acting that way or maybe he did but he thought they would have a little more faith in him at least. I prefer happy bat families to whatever is going on round this time period. I need some context for Bruce telling Steph about Tim being Robin because that left me scratching my head.

TheFlow strikes again. That's from his favourite girly hijinks sexy bondage book Sunstone. For Mature Readers Only.
Please may you stop using my username. Don't know what your problem. Buts let's not start so early in the morning

Hagi

Lot of stuff out tomorrow, going to give Supergirl a try I think. Freeza is probably the only person who reads the Alien/Predator Dark Horse stuff but the third issue of Defiance is finally out.

Please may you stop using my username. Don't know what your problem. Buts let's not start so early in the morning

It was a little joke my man, as you like to say "don't get triggered lol"

TheFlow

Banned
Lot of stuff out tomorrow, going to give Supergirl a try I think. Freeza is probably the only person who reads the Alien/Predator Dark Horse stuff but the third issue of Defiance is finally out.

It was a little joke my man, as you like to say "don't get triggered lol"
Lol but you are always using my name but k :p

Hagi

Lol but you are always using my name but k :p

I don't think that's true lol

You are the Garma to my Char, I'm not hating but I may mislead you into getting killed by Amuro and the White Base. I need to start my The Origin volumes at some point..

That's cool I wish the sets were cheaper so I could get into Dimensions but they don't seem worth the price as it is. These toy to life games are such a black hole.

TheFlow

Banned
I don't think that's true lol

You are the Garma to my Char, I'm not hating but I may mislead you into getting killed by Amuro and the White Base. I need to start my The Origin volumes at some point..
The fact that you made a gundam reference makes me forget everything you done.

Garma was innocent in all the madness

Top Bottom