• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
That feeling when you decide to get back into comics and decide to pick up Black Panther and The Vision...Oh yiss.

...Then you decide to pick up The Black Monday Murders and you're flipping between pages trying to make sense of symbols and chairs and oh god help.

That feeling when you decide to get back into comics and decide to pick up Black Panther and The Vision...Oh yiss.

...Then you decide to pick up The Black Monday Murders and you're flipping between pages trying to make sense of symbols and chairs and oh god help.

If you like Vision go get the complete trade of Omega Men when it's out. Just as amazing.

Yeah, I really enjoy King's writing. I'm probably going to pick up Batman next and wait for that Omega Men trade. How's Sheriff of Babylon?

Wasn't yet familiar with all of King's stuff when it started so I missed out on it as it wouldn't normally be my thing. I plan on going back to it because I've heard great things.

Donnie's alive???

Now we just need Kipp back full time

tumblr_m6bry1q4vU1qbpnx0o3_250.gif

I received the call! Maybe the reverberations will bring Kipp back to us. I did try and check in and read the thread while I was accountless but it just becomes frustrating when you can't chime in haha.

Haha, awesome. Are you familiar with his other work? Hickman is a real mindfuck the first time round, even now, some times I pull out the nightly news or Pax Romana....I'd say it's more interesting work than exciting, but it's definitely unique and really engages your brain. Looking forward to this coming to trade though, it looks like a Brubaker book crossed with his sensibilities. Although, judging by some of his other projects, I'll watch the release schedule before I get too amped haha.

On the topic of King, I'm going to be honest guys, the only thing I've read by him is the Grayson stuff and I really did find it lacking....I find him really interesting in interviews though and he seems like he really understands how to construct a story and that he has things to say with the medium about how he feels. Am I likely to find this newer stuff better when it hits trade? Those Batman previews have looked great. Gotta grab that sheriff of babylon trade too. ( I will add that I'm not a huge Seeley fan either ha, bounced pretty hard off of Revival).

Review embargo on Deus Ex ends Friday, so that's a good sign.

Are you guys going to kick off the hype train tomorrow with a Deus Ex Go purchase? I'm kind of secretly excited for that as much as the main game, I love those Go games. Really wish they would do vita at launch too or something, eats my phone battery. The place I pre-order from regularly breaks street date, was quietly hoping to get Mankind Divided in time for the weekend.

Speaking of Deus Ex, did anyone here ever check out the comic that Titan did?

It doesn't hit trade til the 30th according to Amazon UK, kind of frustrating since these things are meant to build the hype, not miss it ha. Bet the same happens with Dishonored.

Also, searching Children's Crusade on amazon hits me with at least 5 books I'm familiar with. Comic writers like that name huh

Are you guys going to kick off the hype train tomorrow with a Deus Ex Go purchase? I'm kind of secretly excited for that as much as the main game, I love those Go games. Really wish they would do vita at launch too or something, eats my phone battery. The place I pre-order from regularly breaks street date, was quietly hoping to get Mankind Divided in time for the weekend.

OH SHIT WADDAP

i didn't know they were doing a deus ex go FUCKING DAY ONE

VanWinkle

Happy birthday, Gameproff.

I have never understood the complaint about renumbering books in terms of enjoyment around the internet because I've seen the multiple times very recently.

Let me tell you about it in regards to Marvel. I'm admittedly a casual Marvel reader. I don't read their events, I don't get into their big crossovers. I basically just read their oversized hardcovers. The problem is, I don't want to be bogged down by a bunch of continuity and stuff that I don't know. Marvel NOW (2012) was a pretty good starting point for me but there were occasionally things I didn't understand or that I felt lost about. ANAD renumbered everything again but they didn't reboot the universe. And now the new Marvel NOW is renumbering some stuff again, but still not rebooting the universe.

So, my problem is, why renumber? Either the Marvel NOW stuff is going to be reset enough that it will be retreading for older readers and easier to understand for new readers, or it will be direct continuation of ANAD and less accessible for new readers. I think a #1 should be a perfect starting point for a new reader. But, for that to be the case, a series needs to basically be completely finished in ~12 issues (if they're really wanted to reboot every year or so), and I just don't think that's enough to flesh out a series. I'd understand wanting to renumber every five years or so, but every year is crazy to me.

Happy birthday, Gameproff.

So, my problem is, why renumber? .

I've shrunk the quote down but I think this is a good example to my last point a page back in that sometimes it's not even a good jumping on point haha. I also read by trade and with marvel often by the OHCs. I am much less engaged with MArvel because of their many redos so I also skip most of their events, try and stick with writers and artists I love on fairly insular books and the reading order for Thor this way is something like volume 1, volume 2, Original Sin, another volume 1, then Thors I think from Secret War, then another upcoming volume 1. And the thing is here, accepting that a few plot points probably did change a little because of an event or happened in an event instead of the main book, it is literally an unbroken run by Jason Aaron, with a very tight set of artists.

For someone fairly engaged this isn't too much of an issue, but for someone looking to jump in, they might feel confused if they jumped in here at a middle point, or simply missed Original Sin and Thors because they are separate. Not that I'm damming using a relaunch or a new number 1, but just a good example of a series that really shouldn't have needed it.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Haha, awesome. Are you familiar with his other work? Hickman is a real mindfuck the first time round, even now, some times I pull out the nightly news or Pax Romana....I'd say it's more interesting work than exciting, but it's definitely unique and really engages your brain. Looking forward to this coming to trade though, it looks like a Brubaker book crossed with his sensibilities. Although, judging by some of his other projects, I'll watch the release schedule before I get too amped haha.

All I know from following comic threads on GAF was that his FF & Avengers runs were really good and that he was writing Secret Wars (Which I haven't yet decided if I wanted to jump into that event, I don't even know what events I should read). I didn't know about this side of his writing, I honestly thought it was a different Hickman hahaha.

Hagi

Interested to see how Batman turns out today, it's been a real slow burner so far.

Review embargo on Deus Ex ends Friday, so that's a good sign.

Hoping I can finish human revolution before Tuesday. Really looking forward to a new game after the disappointment that was no man's sky.

All I know from following comic threads on GAF was that his FF & Avengers runs were really good and that he was writing Secret Wars (Which I haven't yet decided if I wanted to jump into that event, I don't even know what events I should read). I didn't know about this side of his writing, I honestly thought it was a different Hickman hahaha.

Haha okay, awesome. There's a ton of great stuff out there then. I read his avengers run up until infinity , then totally dropped off just because I had waaaayyyy too many books to read. I really liked it though. If you're interested in his marvel stuff, then secret warriors comes with a huge recommendation on my end. One of the best nick fury runs of all time, and is a really nice tight run.

The real gold is his indie stuff though. Did you actually like the new book or did you find it a bit much? Reading his stuff feels a little mystifying until you get your head around it, as I mentioned I still have to really engage with his older stuff. The manhattan projects is a really easy read though and hilarious, if you're interested. East of west is probably my favourite overall work form him, but the manhattan projects is really easy to point to as a starting point.

Excuse my ignorance btw have you just got into reading comics then? Just from the context of your response there. I've been off the board for quite awhile so I'm a bit behind with things haha. If so and you jumped into a Hickman image book off the bat, good on you! I honestly love him as a writer but he can be a little too concept driven rather than character driven for me at times in his work and I wouldn't be shocked if someone getting into books read him and turned right back around to the big two, if they thought his style was entirely indicative of other indie books.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just read last week's Flash. I think the twist is really obvious about who Godspeed is going to be.

That woman Flash just kissed and revealed his identity to

Just read last week's Flash. I think the twist is really obvious about who Godspeed is going to be.

That woman Flash just kissed and revealed his identity to

The way this arc is going I feel like they're purposely goofing on the TV Series in a way and neither her or the cop friend will be him. I think it's the dude he keeps bringing up. None of these names are coming to me at the moment, but the guy keeps bringing up his brothers death and some other guy. He's the one who I think the villain is.

frye

Is Millar's run worthwhile then? Finished Ellis's a while back, my distaste for most of Millar's work made me stop there.

if you dislike him in general then you'll dislike it a lot. Like JC said it's the most Mark Millary thing in the world and it's where he goes from being the bum he was in the 90s to being Mark Millar, comics superstar

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Happy Birthday, Proff!

As for new comics, if you've liked Lumberjanes, check out The Backstagers. It's full of the same type of hi-jinx (but with boys), and was a lot of fun. From James Tynion, Rian Syghand and Walter Baiamonte.

Top Bottom