• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Re: the deus ex chat earlier, just grabbed go, looking forward to this. Hope they add some dlc over time like lara croft, I'll likely smash through this in the next day or so

tim1138

Superwoman is basically a tribute to the 90s, post-Death Of Superman, "let's try something new and get REAL WEIRD with it" era, and that's exactly why I love it. It is the hottest comic of 1999 in the best way.

100% this, Superwoman pushed a lot of very specific buttons, and that's why I loved it so much.

Back to this week's books, I enjoyed Percy's little nod to
and rejection of
a very specific plot point from Longbow Hunters. His growth as a comics writer over the past year has been incredible.

Sandfox

Happy birthday, Gameproff.

Let me tell you about it in regards to Marvel. I'm admittedly a casual Marvel reader. I don't read their events, I don't get into their big crossovers. I basically just read their oversized hardcovers. The problem is, I don't want to be bogged down by a bunch of continuity and stuff that I don't know. Marvel NOW (2012) was a pretty good starting point for me but there were occasionally things I didn't understand or that I felt lost about. ANAD renumbered everything again but they didn't reboot the universe. And now the new Marvel NOW is renumbering some stuff again, but still not rebooting the universe.

So, my problem is, why renumber? Either the Marvel NOW stuff is going to be reset enough that it will be retreading for older readers and easier to understand for new readers, or it will be direct continuation of ANAD and less accessible for new readers. I think a #1 should be a perfect starting point for a new reader. But, for that to be the case, a series needs to basically be completely finished in ~12 issues (if they're really wanted to reboot every year or so), and I just don't think that's enough to flesh out a series. I'd understand wanting to renumber every five years or so, but every year is crazy to me.
I think that really depends on the book because Ultimates2 for example seems to just be continue where it left off. The thing is I see people cursing over it lol.

asmrenew2016001-cov-195222.jpg
Renew Your Vows #1 cover. Peter is trying to fill the void left by pre-New 52 Wally.

I didn't get people's complaints that the new Green Arrow run was cheesy as fuck until this issue. Percy was probably dribblin cheddar all over himself while he was writing this. It was painful.

Renew Your Vows #1 cover. Peter is trying to fill the void left by pre-New 52 Wally.

I like Mary Jane's costume. Her daughter tho. :O *scrubs eyes*

tim1138

So is Supergirl rebirth worth picking up?

I really enjoyed it. It definitely riffs off the TV show with the DEO
and Danvers family
but does it in its own way. The first villain was a super deep cut from the DC roster, but honestly I expect that from Orlando. The biggest highlight for me was they dumped the angry characterization from the N52 and made Kara compassionate and hopeful again. I'm thrilled that they're remembering Kara is 16 and it's not going to be male gazey and sexualized like a lot of Supergirl stuff has skewed in the past.

Sandfox

The Runaways tv show means we might end up getting another book eventually lol.

I didn't get people's complaints that the new Green Arrow run was cheesy as fuck until this issue. Percy was probably dribblin cheddar all over himself while he was writing this. It was painful.

I like Mary Jane's costume. Her daughter tho. :O *scrubs eyes*

Stegman said that he designed it through the eyes of a parent, which is why its full of padding and protection.

I really enjoyed it. It definitely riffs off the TV show with the DEO
and Danvers family
but does it in its own way. The first villain was a super deep cut from the DC roster, but honestly I expect that from Orlando. The biggest highlight for me was they dumped the angry characterization from the N52 and made Kara compassionate and hopeful again. I'm thrilled that they're remembering Kara is 16 and it's not going to be male gazey and sexualized like a lot of Supergirl stuff has skewed in the past.

XrQACuU.gif

I had no problem with angry Kara. She got to be a Red Lantern.

frye

I'm really digging the current Superman book a lot more than I expected to, especially after the Rebirth issue which was ehh

Let us know how it is.

Okay, do I just did what would effectively be the first book in lara croft go. The puzzle concepts aren't as immediately intuitive as LC, I'd say there was a bit more trial and error to grasp the rules of an enemy or interactive thing BUT getting my head around it I think the use of deus ex universe and hacking ideas etc have a lot more head room for clever puzzles. Even just that first part had me sit a minute or so trying to get to a solution.

In terms of presentation, visuals, sound, it's cracking. There's also more story going on than the whole of LC already. Really like it overall, not as immediately charmed but after half an hour I am really attached. My phone is pretty old and runs super hot with this haha and I've had a tiny bit of slowdown. Galaxy s4. I'm also not clear if there are the same tap collectibles as LC, I've been trying different elements in the background but nothing yet.

Jensen 's finishers are awesome too.

Mafro

Holy shit @ Ultimates this week.

Miss America smashing Danvers in the face with a chair and Black Panther just chillin' in the background watching.

Danvers continunes to be completely unlikeable.

Would getting the Garth Ennis volumes of Hellblazer be a good jumping on point? A while ago my friend recommended Hellblazer to me, but its over 300 issues long lol so I dont want to get all of it. I like Ennis as a writer and I was looking at getting the TP vol 5-8, which covers Ennis' run. Would i be missing out on much by jumping in at vol 5?

Sandfox

This week's Black Widow threw me for a loop and
I haven't been played like that by a comic in years.

Black Hammer is really good. The jumps between the golden age and modern era are well done and I want to see where the story goes next.

Holy crap at Power Man and Iron Fist. This issue was good, especially for the people who previously had an issue with how Jessica was portrayed, and the next issue is going to be insane.

Stegman capturing the true essence of Peter Parker with those wheatcakes

Hagi

Superman, Supergirl and Superwoman all are fantastic comics so far and I never would have guessed that would be the case going into Rebirth. Superman is easily the best thing I've read from DC in ages, can't say enough how much I'm loving that book. I thought Rebirth would be a repeat of New 52 and the Bat related books would be on top for me but I'm really happy that's not the case.

Been having a pretty shitty week and it's great to have fun books to read. Comics are great!

Boogiepop

I HAVE DONE IT. I HAVE ACQUIRED PEEPO CHOO.

It's been a good long while since I read it, but IIRC this is a very good pick up.

Also, with the Comixology Slott sale, does that stuff form any kind of cohesive chunk of his run? I don't mind grabbing a portion of his stuff from it and I'd be kind of interested, but not as much if it's just scattershot random bits that don't at all fit together.

Sandfox

It's been a good long while since I read it, but IIRC this is a very good pick up.

Also, with the Comixology Slott sale, does that stuff form any kind of cohesive chunk of his run? I don't mind grabbing a portion of his stuff from it and I'd be kind of interested, but not as much if it's just scattershot random bits that don't at all fit together.

It covers Big Time and goes all the way until the arc before Otto took over.

Black Hammer is really good. The jumps between the golden age and modern era are well done and I want to see where the story goes

Looking forward to this a lot, glad Ormston recovered to draw the book. Not so excited to pay the dark horse tpb tax which seems to double the price of what I pay for my other trades, but I'll pay for quality, and they are usually nice collections.

TheFlow

Banned
Superman, Supergirl and Superwoman all are fantastic comics so far and I never would have guessed that would be the case going into Rebirth. Superman is easily the best thing I've read from DC in ages, can't say enough how much I'm loving that book. I thought Rebirth would be a repeat of New 52 and the Bat related books would be on top for me but I'm really happy that's not the case.

Been having a pretty shitty week and it's great to have fun books to read. Comics are great!
I will still put new 52 above rebirth atm. People were just shook because of the continuity stuff and missing favs. Geoff aquaman was hot fire

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
god damn Captain America: Sam Wilson is too good

i'm so glad there's a book where the American right wing are explicitly the villains

Sandfox

god damn Captain America: Sam Wilson is too good

i'm so glad there's a book where the American right wing are explicitly the villains

I agree with you on the book being good because this issue was amazing in my eyes, but I felt that both sides were portrayed fairly in this issue.

Also, Spencer writes a good U.S. Agent.

"All I said was go easy on them bacon cheeseburgers."

LOL
CWOATHvariant.jpg

I don't think her weight be so close to Tony in his armor is healthy.

Top Bottom