• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

vader.jpg

Deadly Class Mixtape.

Tracklist :
Adrenochrome - Sisters of Mercy
Sour Grapes - Descendents
Say No Go - De La Soul
Your Phone's Off The Hook But You're Not - X
Candyman - Siouxsie And The Banshees
We're Gonna Fight - 7 Seconds
Don't Believe The Hype - Public Enemy
The Things That Dreams Are Made Of - Human League
Big Neon Glitter - The Cult
The Legend Of Pat Brown - The Vandals
Superficial Love - TSOL
Under Your Influence - Dag Nasty
Doubt - The Cure
Smokin' Banana Peels - The Dead Milkmen
Children's Story - Slick Rick
Egg Man - Beastie Boys
Jeane - The Smiths
Come Anytime - Hoodoo Gurus
In A Simple Rhyme - Van Halen
Welcome To Reality - The Adolescents
Can't Hardly Wait - The Replacements
Down In The Park - Gary Numan
Sex Dwarf - Soft Cell
She Is Mine - Psychedelic Furs
Isolation - Joy Division
Just A Friend - Biz Markie
Teenage Wildlife - David Bowie

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Deadly Class Mixtape.

Tracklist :
Say No Go - De La Soul
Superficial Love - TSOL
Doubt - The Cure
Egg Man - Beastie Boys
Jeane - The Smiths
Sex Dwarf - Soft Cell
Isolation by Joy Division Just A Friend - Biz Markie

I'm sure I've heard some of them and I probably even like a couple them but I don't know any of those by name.

Deadly Class Mixtape.

Tracklist :
Say No Go - De La Soul
Superficial Love - TSOL
Doubt - The Cure
Egg Man - Beastie Boys
Jeane - The Smiths
Sex Dwarf - Soft Cell
Isolation by Joy Division Just A Friend - Biz Markie
Looks about right

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Super excited about the Runaways news, Josh Schwartz is a great choice for the show.

I also don't have any problems with Hulu, the ad free version is how I watch a good portion of tv.

BluWacky

Comics-GAF, help me! It is the summer, which is the only time I get around to buying TPBs, and I am super behind and don't know what's been good recently.

I am pretty much exclusively non-cape (well, I read some of Fraction's Hawkeye, but that's about it) but still read stuff with superpowers in because I'm like that.

What would you recommend? As a clue, recently finished or currently reading:

Mind MGMT (finished it, loved every minute of it)
Morning Glories
Revival
Saga
Ody-C (it's not very good but it's Homer, so...)
Injection
Sex Criminals
Descender
They're Not Like Us
Autumnlands (I know there isn't a volume 2 yet)

I'm definitely planning on picking up Monstress; I'm aware this is almost exclusively Image but I'm not very good at checking other publishers out...

Any help gratefully appreciated!
also if there's any good arty stuff out, I don't think I've bought anything classy since Habibi

tim1138

Deadly Class Mixtape.

Tracklist :
Say No Go - De La Soul
Superficial Love - TSOL
Doubt - The Cure
Egg Man - Beastie Boys
Jeane - The Smiths
Sex Dwarf - Soft Cell
Isolation - Joy Division
Just A Friend - Biz Markie

That's a great lineup

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
All of the people in OT calling Runaways terrible reminds me
(for the millionth time)
that talking comics outside of here makes my blood boil.

Trying to wrap up last week's books before I move on to the new goodies...

Spider-Man/Deadpool #8: Pretty good issue. Nice to have Kelly back and it's nice that things are moving forward, but the break definitely killed a lot of the momentum in this story, which already felt like it was dragging on too long (this will be the sixth issue of the arc and it's still going). The quips were weak, a crime in a book starring Spider-Man and Deadpool. Step up your quip game, Kelly.

Superwoman #1: This was fine, pretty average book. Not good enough to keep me interested, I won't be picking up #2. The first problem that jumps out at me here is the page design. Every single page of this comic is crammed with panels...this design would have been considered claustrophobic in the '70s let alone 2016. Drop a third of the repetitive, long-winded dialogue (seriously how many times do the characters in this book say the same damn thing slightly remixed over and over again) and mix up the page layout a little bit and you have a much stronger comic.

I like that there are
two Superwomen...well, maybe
, but neither of these characters really do much for me. Funny that
Steel
is on the cover while appearing in one or maybe two panels. And nobody seems to know how to write
the new Lex
yet, his appearance here is bad. Can't recommend this one.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Comics-GAF, help me! It is the summer, which is the only time I get around to buying TPBs, and I am super behind and don't know what's been good recently.

I am pretty much exclusively non-cape (well, I read some of Fraction's Hawkeye, but that's about it) but still read stuff with superpowers in because I'm like that.

Mind MGMT (finished it, loved every minute of it)
Morning Glories
Revival
Saga
Ody-C (it's not very good but it's Homer, so...)
Injection
Sex Criminals
Descender
They're Not Like Us
Autumnlands (I know there isn't a volume 2 yet)

I'm definitely planning on picking up Monstress; I'm aware this is almost exclusively Image but I'm not very good at checking other publishers out...

also if there's any good arty stuff out, I don't think I've bought anything classy since Habibi

The bolded are the books you've read that I also liked. Revival especially is one of my favorites.

Manifest Destiny
Birthright
Monstress
Lazarus
East of West
Chew

To be honest with you, I don't like the logo at all.

I love the concept but the drop shadow behind Suicide undercuts the lipstick idea. It looks amazing without it.
Honestly, you should let Khouri and the others know. They'll handle criticism well and might take your advice to heart.

Non-Big Two books I'm picking up today:
  • WicDiv
  • The Backstagers
  • Insexts

To tie into the news, there's a Runaways sale. What collections should one not bother with?

Comics-GAF, help me!

Well if you like jeff lemire, I would have to check first that you've read sweet tooth and the underwater welder? I like descender a whole bunch but sweet tooth is literally Lemire 's defining work, it's incredible. Descender obviously owes a lot to stuff like a strong boy and scifi but it has a lot of interesting stuff in common conceptually with sweet tooth. Love it. The underwater welder is a fantastic twilight zone esque on from him too. These both come from different publishers too :)

Taking a stab here too, but you like descender, mind mgmt, I think character driven, sometimes tippy, driving mythology....have you read the unwritten? Series is complete and really great.

As far as classy, Habibi is probably the nicest on we own too, gorgeous book, hard to outdo that!

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
To tie into the news, there's a Runaways sale. What collections should one not bother with?

Vol. 1-7 are the BKV stuff. Top Notch all around.

Vol. 8 is Joss Whedon, which I loved but others didn't (though some of that came down to shipping delays, which obviously isn't a problem in trade form)

Vol 9 - 11 range from Dumpster fire to tornado of human excrement, and ends on a sort-of cliff hanger that will never ever be resolved.

Vol. 1-7 are the BKV stuff. Top Notch all around.

Vol. 8 is Joss Whedon, which I loved but others didn't (though some of that came down to shipping delays, which obviously isn't a problem in trade form)

Vol 9 - 11 range from Dumpster fire to tornado of human excrement, and ends on a sort-of cliff hanger that will never ever be resolved.

Vol. 1-8 of Runaways it is, then

JTripper

Batman #5 is probably my favorite issue of King's run so far. Great moments and I really liked that last page.
Using this arc as the foundation for Gotham Girl's origin and keeping us interested in the future with that "Batman is dead" tease is great, even if the idea of Batman "dying" is stale. King has shown us before that he's pretty good with foreshadowing.

Nightwing #3: Still great fun. Cool swerve at the end and I love how the globe-tropping Parliament story is becoming a reflection of Dick as a character.

So when's walking dead ending?

Never. Kirkman riding that money-train all the way to heaven. That's probably got something to do with why Invincible is ending. TWD is probably taking up so much of his time now between the comic and related media that he doesn't have time for so many books. Outcast has a TV show now, too.

ElNarez

Banned
Superwoman #1: This was fine, pretty average book. Not good enough to keep me interested, I won't be picking up #2. The first problem that jumps out at me here is the page design. Every single page of this comic is crammed with panels...this design would have been considered claustrophobic in the '70s let alone 2016. Drop a third of the repetitive, long-winded dialogue (seriously how many times do the characters in this book say the same damn thing slightly remixed over and over again) and mix up the page layout a little bit and you have a much stronger comic.

I like that there are
two Superwomen...well, maybe
, but neither of these characters really do much for me. Funny that
Steel
is on the cover while appearing in one or maybe two panels. And nobody seems to know how to write
the new Lex
yet, his appearance here is bad. Can't recommend this one.

Superwoman is basically a tribute to the 90s, post-Death Of Superman, "let's try something new and get REAL WEIRD with it" era, and that's exactly why I love it. It is the hottest comic of 1999 in the best way.

Superwoman is basically a tribute to the 90s, post-Death Of Superman, "let's try something new and get REAL WEIRD with it" era, and that's exactly why I love it. It is the hottest comic of 1999 in the best way.

Do you mean the time Supergirl was an alien shapeshifter who was sleeping with the red-haired, bearded Lex Luthor?

All the Reign of Supermen feelings make me wonder who the Cyborg Superman character will be. The original is showing up in Supergirl but I wonder which of the good ones will go evil(unless it was Gotham)since Lex will probably stay good for at least a few more arcs.

ElNarez

Banned
Do you mean the time Supergirl was an alien shapeshifter who was sleeping with the red-haired, bearded Lex Luthor?

I mean
LANA LANG IS ELECTRIC RED SUPERWOMAN
, you be the judge.

(Another relic of the 90s: the twist isn't given away wholesale to the press the day before to try and build buzz around the book among people who are not gonna go to a comics store ever)

Mark died 80 issues ago and the Shapesmith has been masquerading as him ever since.

I would accept this as some sort of metaphor man for something along the lines of Kirkman's creativity and a big bag of money

Nah I will say, I'm mostly joking, I prefer to critique a creatives work than make snark about the man himself, it's just kind of easy in this instance

Top Bottom