• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I have read adaptions of this origin for like 84739 times now, but Season One: Spider-Man is really the best and I think I need now all of the others.

Edit: LOL, the Bugle wants to make Spidey to a child molester because he refuses to take of the Mask

I have read adaptions of this origin for like 84739 times now, but Season One: Spider-Man is really the best and I think I need now all of the others.

I liked Season One X-Men, cuz its Jamie McKelvie

0OI9YnZ.jpg

8xljyao.jpg

mDjNbRp.jpg

DirtyLarry

Read Demonic #1 last night by Image. Kind of liked it.
Also really liking Strange Attractors by Boom.
Unfollow keeps delivering.
House of Penance by Dark Horse is pretty good.
still liking Black Eyed Kids even if it is a bit hokey.
The Sweetness is interesting.
Same with Animosity.
Just so much out there these days it is hard to keep up. I seriously have to figure out some kind of decent looking storage solution soon. My wife is getting unhappy with white boxes scattered through the house.

Anyway, OT another nod for East of West.
And The Dying & The Dead.
And Manhattan Projects.

Honestly I really like a decent amount of Hickmans "indy" stuff pretty much.
The Nightly News is still one of my all time favorites. Especially when it dropped (2007). It was during my not reading a lot of comics at all phase (from 92 to 2012), but a friend of mine who picked it up urged me to do the same. So I did and loved it. Absolutely loved it. Then I did not read a whole lot of comics religiously again until about 5 few years later (2012). It took me like 3 years after I started reading again loving The Manhattan Projects to realize "wait a minute, this is the same guy that did The Nightly News."

I didn't have any problems at all jumping into East of West as my first Hickman book.

Don't worry haha, it wasn't a supreme judgment or anything, nor am I saying anyone would necessarily have a problem with east of west, just that tmp is a little more palatable off the bat, more comedic, real world figures to use as touch points even though they go waaay out there with them haha. East of west is this big world that youre thrown into without all the context of the world bar the initial exposition dump, as ive mentioned before i love hickman but i do think he has the habit of getting plotty and heady first oppose to putting the characters in the drivers seat which is my personal preference, and I think the manhattan projects really does a good job there. I'd still stick by what I said thinking it over again but in all honest, I'd probably encourage someone to buy both anyway!

Are those your dogs in your avatar by the way?

Honestly I really like a decent amount of Hickmans "indy" stuff pretty much.
The Nightly News is still one of my all time favorites. Especially when it dropped (2007). It was during my not reading a lot of comics at all phase (from 92 to 2012), but a friend of mine who picked it up urged me to do the same. So I did and loved it. Absolutely loved it. Then I did not read a whole lot of comics religiously again until about 5 few years later (2012). It took me like 3 years after I started reading again loving The Manhattan Projects to realize "wait a minute, this is the same guy that did The Nightly News."

haha I remember getting the nightly news then it dropped back then, I was still going single issues, hadn't switched to trades yet. I'd went through my own getting back into comics around 04-05, and I'd been swinging heavier and heavier towards indie stuff, and I remember picking TNN off the back of the reviews and just being like what the fuuuuuck is this hahah. I wasn't that young at the time, 18, but even still, I'd never saw a comic like that. It felt like fight club or something, or at least it made me feel a little how I felt watching Fight Club the first time when I was younger, but for the age I was reading TNN if that makes sense, but through this alien filter haha. I think these days I much prefer just to reread his modern output, I don't pull it out tooo often, although Transhuman still really cracks me up, but to this day it's really unique stuff. Did he even get that OGN out about the psychologists that he was working on or something? It was supposed to be a big return ot those style of books from him. Feel better now I think was the name.

Still waiting for that Kingdom Come animated or live adaptation.

They'd probably mess it up somehow. Still, Captain Marvel vs Superman is the best comic book fight ever. TDKR fight is good but the result is mostly meaningless compared to KC's ending.

Black Road #5: As the arc concludes, in comes the swerve. This is a good twist. I like it. I enjoyed watching
Julia (I think that's her name?) shoot Magnus full of crossbow bolts
, that was a great sequence. I also like the new character a lot, I hope she sticks around for awhile. I feel like the book is beginning to overemphasize the
Christian invasion
...like I get that that's an important part of the setting, no reason to waste four pages on another flashback. Hopefully he tones it down in the next arc. Still, this remains a solid book with minimal exposition and lots of gorgeous panels of characters pressing on through harsh, beautiful landscapes.

Brief aside: I think we get more full frontal male nudity in comics these days than in movies and television combined

Black Road

Does Black Road feel much like Northlanders then, or does it really feel like it's own beast? I understand this is an actual proper ongoing story oppose to what Northlanders was, but damn did I love that book. This is more overtly fictional too right? LEss emphasis on the historical trappings?

Ross61

Still waiting for that Kingdom Come animated or live adaptation.

They'd probably mess it up somehow. Still, Captain Marvel vs Superman is the best comic book fight ever. TDKR fight is good but the result is mostly meaningless compared to KC's ending.
If they stick clear to the source material, I'd doubt that they'd have room to mess it up.

TheFlow

Banned
Black Road #5: As the arc concludes, in comes the swerve. This is a good twist. I like it. I enjoyed watching
Julia (I think that's her name?) shoot Magnus full of crossbow bolts
, that was a great sequence. I also like the new character a lot, I hope she sticks around for awhile. I feel like the book is beginning to overemphasize the
Christian invasion
...like I get that that's an important part of the setting, no reason to waste four pages on another flashback. Hopefully he tones it down in the next arc. Still, this remains a solid book with minimal exposition and lots of gorgeous panels of characters pressing on through harsh, beautiful landscapes.

Brief aside: I think we get more full frontal male nudity in comics these days than in movies and television combined
I keep forgetting this and she wolf when to comes to new image comics

Does Black Road feel much like Northlanders then, or does it really feel like it's own beast? I understand this is an actual proper ongoing story oppose to what Northlanders was, but damn did I love that book.

Having only read a single issue of Northlanders I'm afraid I can't really make a comparison between the two :(

It's on my list of books to read sometime

This is more overtly fictional too right? LEss emphasis on the historical trappings?

Definitely overtly fictional. I would be surprised if any of this is true.

edit:
AiPT!: How much of history and its cultures will you dig into? Is that a place you look to mine for stories and character?

Brian: There’s a bit of the historical in here, although compared to Northlanders, this is more surface level. I mean, I went DEEP with the research with Northlanders, making trips to Iceland and Norway, visiting reenactors in their workshops, and putting accuracy really high on the priority list. We’re being much more sensible here. We’re being normal here! This is a nice, sane, normal amount of all that.

But broadly, I have always found that my inspiration comes from history. It’s my secret weapon, although it’s really not very secret at all. You can open any book about any place or time in history and get ideas for a dozen killer comic series. Once you can connect history to the modern day, it all just seems to fall into place. I love it. So for Black Road, I took the real life, relatively peaceful event of Christianity being adopted in the pagan north, and re-imagined it as being something like the current state of the Middle East, with a few curveballs in the mix.

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...lk-black-road-vikings-and-fight-choreography/

Having only read a single issue of Northlanders I'm afraid I can't really make a comparison between the two :(

It's on my list of books to read sometime

Haha no bother! Didn't help that Northlanders was out of print for a good while. They just did a new trade though that I think collects half the series, and there's another around christmas finishing it off. I super recommend, would love to hear other's thoughts on it. I kind of have to replace my trades, theyre on that horrible rough paper Vertigo trades used to like to print on, same reason I want to get rid of my Sweet Tooths and Scalped, and switch them out for the HCs. Image usually turn their trades around mighty fast so might keep an eye out for Black Road in the next month if that's the arc done.

Sandfox

So some of DC's November solicitations have been teased and it looks like Superman will be featuring
a Batman Superman father-son teamup
as well as an annual.

Haha no bother! Didn't help that Northlanders was out of print for a good while. They just did a new trade though that I think collects half the series, and there's another around christmas finishing it off. I super recommend, would love to hear other's thoughts on it. I kind of have to replace my trades, theyre on that horrible rough paper Vertigo trades used to like to print on, same reason I want to get rid of my Sweet Tooths and Scalped, and switch them out for the HCs. Image usually turn their trades around mighty fast so might keep an eye out for Black Road in the next month if that's the arc done.

What does "out of print" mean? I am unfamiliar with this term.

Not sure if serious, but it just means there are no copies available from the publisher anymore, so once stores have depleted their stocks you'd have to go second hand.

Trying to imagine Alex Ross' art style transforming into nasty current DC animated movie style make me shudder.

I'm imaging some nasty ass motion comic styled thing, like Alex Ross art animated through Adobe Flash bone tools (I did something similar for a portfolio assignment, it was ghastly but the tutor loved it) and it's hilarious.

tim1138

I liked Season One X-Men, cuz its Jamie McKelvie

McKelvie was the initial reason I bought that. I don't remember who wrote it (Hopeless maybe?), but I ended up being pleasantly surprised by the story.

She will, but it'll be rough

Yup. I knew it focused largely around the common political problems involving superheroes and metahumans, but I had no idea it was so damn depressing.

It's a hell of a ride, that's for sure. A lot of heavy stuff goes down in that book.

I'd also recommend Marvel's Earth X. It has a similar premise and is full of gorgeous John Paul Leon art.

Owzers

I've been reading more The Name of the Wind, maybe books don't need pictures. "A picture says a thousand words" is liberal propaganda, Trump knows all the best words and doesn't need a picture to give him any of them.

Definitely overtly fictional. I would be surprised if any of this is true.

edit:

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...lk-black-road-vikings-and-fight-choreography/

Cheers for that, will read that over before I crash for the night. I did read something at some point where he made a comparison to the silk road or something haha but it was quite awhile, book took a little while to materialise. I'm okay with that. I'll be honest, I'm a hugeeee sucker for historical fiction, as much as I am for actual history. If it has a sense of a real place and time, that's better than you get a lot of the time, and dropping some of the stricter rules will obviously give him flexibility for an ongoing.

Oh, just literally the original Northlander trades were impossible to get unless you wanted to pay double the price for some volumes at a certain point, they stopped making new ones and making them available so it was all just private sellers on amazon etc

edit: right i knew that had to be a troll, but I've only been back a day hahahah, didn't want to be a dick
yet

I know what you are now. 21ST CENTURY DIGITAL BOY

tumblr_msw0o3epkS1r3jt1go6_500.gif

I've been reading more The Name of the Wind, maybe books don't need pictures. "A picture says a thousand words" is liberal propaganda, Trump knows all the best words and doesn't need a picture to give him any of them.

The Name of the Wind could have used pictures. It would be a nice distraction from reading The Name of the Wind.

Cheers for that, will read that over before I crash for the night. I did read something at some point where he made a comparison to the silk road or something haha but it was quite awhile, book took a little while to materialise. I'm okay with that. I'll be honest, I'm a hugeeee sucker for historical fiction, as much as I am for actual history. If it has a sense of a real place and time, that's better than you get a lot of the time, and dropping some of the stricter rules will obviously give him flexibility for an ongoing.

I am also a bit of a history buff. I would say it's well balanced. It has that sense of place and time you are looking for without being constrained too much by an actual timeline of events. There are a few super unrealistic portrayals of unfolding cultural shifts so you may end up doing a few of these:

AZCrYvM.gif

But in the end it's not so bad. It's worth it, I think, to create an atmosphere filled with dread, tension and a sense of inevitability.

edit: right i knew that had to be a troll, but I've only been back a day hahahah, didn't want to be a dick
yet

I know what you are now. 21ST CENTURY DIGITAL BOY

lolol

Zombine

Banned
Why can't Zendaya be MJ? Zendaya is the first girl that genuinely looks like a model and she's a very fun actor. I'd get frustrated if I read that for much longer.

She's amazing.

TheFlow

Banned
I forgot I shouldn't post in OT comic threads. People who don't know a damn thing but got strong opinions about comics...
Every comic book thread not created by Us turns to shit. Even with slayven and others fact checking people it still gets rough.

You can tell the people who know marvel from Movies and the ones from comics

Top Bottom