• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

If they would cast a black Peter Parker and pissed if they would replace him with Miles in the movies, but that would be just a initiall feeling and I would never make racist tirades over shit like this.

I'd watch a Miles movie. Wasn't the Sony animated movie rumoured to be exactly that? Doing a live-action one would almost require you to kill off Peter Parker though, and man, I don't even want to think about how that would go over. I remember being five and watching Optimus Prime die, if I saw Spider-Man die on screen as a kid I think I'd bawl my eyes out.

He's probably too old for the role now, but at least Donald Glover got to be Miles in the cartoons.

Will you be 40?

But they told me life begins at 40!

One more year till my very late 20s....

VanWinkle

Speaking of Morrison, I'm re-reading Seven Soldiers of Victory. Well, actually, I never read book two, so that one I'll be reading for the first time.

Also, really LOVING the X-Statix omnibus. About a third of the way in. Amazing stuff. Tell me, do any of the X-Statix members show up in anything after the stuff that's in this omnibus? You don't have to say who, but I just want know if if any of them do.

Hey, that's brilliant, glad you enjoyed it! Locke and Key is absolutely phenomenal, easily in my top 5 comics. That's the King DNA for you btw, everyone always points to the horror, but it's the characters that drive those stories. You're only ever horrified because they engage you and it's always about more than just creeping you out. Reading Gerald's Game right now and every chapter I want to cringe away from the kindle, but it's so compelling. Absolutely brilliant. Have you dipped into his novels at all, or his father's work, or was this your first exposure? Locke & Key really has some of the best King tropes. Some places being inheritently tainted and almost engrained with evil after a past event (Salem's Lot, The Shining), characters growing up then having to face their fears from when they were children, really good. I like Hill as a novelist but this is really his best work imo (sitll to read the fireman though).

I haven't read either of their novels. I have avoided King's, mostly due to my friends' impressions and their length, although the adaptations are very interesting. I'm pretty interested to check out Joe's novels though.

Can't wait for marvel to introduce Mary Jane Morales as Miles' 20-something year old aunt who actually went to High School with Peter Parker and had a secret crush on him.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
all of them? I remember only recognizing Rihanna, when I read it a long time ago

Well, I thought so. "Pop" might be pushing it, but

Lucifer - White Duke David Bowie
Woden - Daft Punk Guy
Sakhmet - Rihanna
Baal - Kanye
Inanna - Prince
Amaterasu - Florence (and the Machine)

Not Sure:
Baphomet
Morrigan
Dionysis (He's a dead ringer for my childhood neighbor, but I don't think that's it)
Norns
Minerva
Tara
Persephone

It is in times of comic book movie casting news that I am reminded of Dwayne McDuffie saying how all non-white male characters are suddenly seen as representative of their entire gender or ethnicity.

shingi70

Banned
I was excited when movie Iris West was announced as black and there was no outcry. Then I remember most people only know Iris from the television series.

Phamit

Well, I thought so. "Pop" might be pushing it, but

Lucifer - White Duke David Bowie
Woden - Daft Punk Guy
Sakhmet - Rihanna
Baal - Kanye
Inanna - Prince
Amaterasu - Florence (and the Machine)

Not Sure:
Baphomet
Morrigan
Dionysis (He's a dead ringer for my childhood neighbor, but I don't think that's it)
Norns
Minerva
Tara
Persephone

Oh Lucifer is kinda obvious, probably didn't thought about it because of the gender

shingi70

Banned
Just comes off like one of those vapid, mannequin-esque model stereotypes, like a Paris Hilton or someone like that.

It's not like I know the girl, but that's the image she's chosen to publicly display, so that's what I have to go on.

You could say that any celebrity. Someone as pro black and seemingly woke as her can't be all that Vapid. I mean I just looked her name and none of the pictures of her look vapid or vain.

Zombine

Banned
Well she's nineteen and is pretty outspoken and wiser than a lot of people older than her when it comes to recent current events in the black community.

Yes. Especially in regards to hair-gate. She's pretty level headed and is a fairly decent writer.

dietracists0tsl0.gif

If they stick clear to the source material, I'd doubt that they'd have room to mess it up.
"IT WAS JUST SEX FOR GOD'S SAKE." -Wonder Woman
It's a hell of a ride, that's for sure. A lot of heavy stuff goes down in that book.

I'd also recommend Marvel's Earth X. It has a similar premise and is full of gorgeous John Paul Leon art.
I'll check it
I forgot I shouldn't post in OT comic threads. People who don't know a damn thing but got strong opinions about comics...
Which thread this time? I don't feel like searching.
I wanna say BK started it.

Yeah bitch! I snitched on you!

I don't read interviews with people that are in projects I care about, so I don't know why I'm expected to have read this stuff. I was commenting on image, and I said that.
It shows how idiotic it is to paint someone as annoying or vapid based only on 'image'. And I feel that the 'image' you are referring to is a few insta pics and red carpet looks, whereas celebrity image can include everything they choose to put out to the public (how they conduct themselves in interviews, the content of said interviews, their tweets, the causes they stand for, etc).

So it's still on you for not at least googling more of her before making such a wack ass judgement of her character.

It shows how idiotic it is to paint someone as annoying or vapid based only on 'image'. And I feel that the 'image' you are referring to is a few insta pics and red carpet looks, whereas celebrity image can include everything they choose to put out to the public (how they conduct themselves in interviews, the content of said interviews, their tweets, the causes they stand for, etc).

So it's still on you for not at least googling more of her before making such a wack ass judgement of her character.
For what purpose would I go research her? To look more informed in a shitty message board debate with people I don't know, who are just going to dismiss me as a racist anyway?

She's of no concern to me. I wouldn't know who she was if she wasn't in a Spider-Man movie, and I don't need to know her biography and read her essays to watch her act in a Spider-Man movie. I don't read interviews with my favorite actors. I don't care about their personal lives or thoughts.

For what purpose would I go research her? To look more informed in a shitty message board debate with people I don't know, who are just going to dismiss me as a racist anyway?

She's of no concern to me..
??? Then why make those comments in the first place then?

Lmao.

---

Anyone know how popular Perez' run of Wonder Woman was back when it was still ongoing?

#50 honestly would have been a great ending to his run imo. I don't remember much of the War of the Gods event but still. This issue was wonderful and will never get old.

??? Then why make those comments in the first place then?

Lmao.
Because I was literally asked to elaborate after saying she seemed annoying. It's all right there on the page for you to see.

I don't believe for a second that you've never thought some actor seemed annoying. Or that you never said so without first doing a research project on the person first.

I'm not arguing about this anymore. Getting labeled as a racist over stupid bullshit isn't cool. I'm done with this community.

Top Bottom