• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Was at the Lego Store in Stockholm(the only one in the country)and saw a bunch of nice sets. Funny how we now have figures for every Robin(aside from Steph). Didn't know there was a Blue Beetle figure already. Thinking about buying the Warsuit!Lex+Superman and Batman one for my youngest little sister's christmas present later.

Lego is superior to figures(and cheaper!).

Those sets are awesime, we got a couple for my boy last Christmas, I get the nice job of doing the initial build for him so I get in on the fun too haha. The deathstroke figure is great. Although I don't know about cheaper haha! Lego devastates the Christmas budget in our end at least, a couple of those dc sets and the minecraft ones were up ther least Christmas.

Those sets are awesime, we got a couple for my boy last Christmas, I get the nice job of doing the initial build for him so I get in on the fun too haha. The deathstroke figure is great. Although I don't know about cheaper haha! Lego devastates the Christmas budget in our end at least, a couple of those dc sets and the minecraft ones were up ther least Christmas.
Oh I know. Only get my little sister 2 sets a year(birthday and christmas). The rest she gets from grandparents. Got her interested in Star Wars and superheroes thanks to Lego.

I really want a set next year to be the current 'Tec team so we can get figures for Batwoman, Steph and Cass.

Yay, IST and Amz shipments came in yesterday.

wu2ugrW.jpg

Oh I know. Only get my little sister 2 sets a year(birthday and christmas). The rest she gets from grandparents. Got her interested in Star Wars and superheroes thanks to Lego.

I really want a set next year to be the current 'Tec team so we can get figures for Batwoman, Steph and Cass.

Hey your a great brother man, those are awesome gifts, both just the best encouragement for them to use their imagination and as a stealth vehicle to gr them into other things hahah.

That would be awesome, they would be clever to do so as well, my boy can't get enough of the novelty when they do characters that are generally a bit more obscure ein terms of being comic only, that he hasn't seen a cartoon etc I think it makes it more exotic to him somehow haha.

How reliable/cheap is InStockTrades for international peeps (Australia specifically)? Is it worth the shipping price or should I stick to BookDepository?

Sadist

Alright. I'm becoming okay with this guy.
But i'm more on board with Panther fucking his shit up.
I've been okay with Amadeus being Hulk from the start. He's pretty fun and the series is pretty great so far. This particular panel is great, but the best one is
Where Carol gets a distress call informing her that the Hulk is out of control... to only arrive on the scene and see a huge "just kidding" spelled out by Amadeus. Loved it.

One of the best cape comics I've ever read.

Yes you should

You really fucking should

It's so upsetting, too

Kang hit him with cosmic radiation that was waaaay too powerful for him to heal from because it was a Celestial.

I suppose I should find a hobo...

Deserved it. I wasn't a fan.

Rogue literally started it. Wanda went to go pay her respects at Xavier's grave and Rogue gave her constant shit for it. Eventually Wanda was like, "Fuck it. Fuck you." and then Wanda tore her apart.

Then again, so did Grim Reaper
God I love Uncanny Avengers. Well the first volume was a bit weird (Hur dur call me Alex) but everything involving the Apocalypse Twins was freaking amazing. The Cap page still makes me chuckle. And Thor... goddamn he was such a fucking bad ass right there. I've been reading Remender's Uncanny series (X-Force and Avengers) back to back and it's such a thrilling ride. Especially when Avenge the Earth hits. So good. That villain line-up.

As for newer comics, I've only read Captain America Sam Wilson and Power Man and Iron Fist which were great again. I never cared much for Falcon, but I really like him as Cap.

How reliable/cheap is InStockTrades for international peeps (Australia specifically)? Is it worth the shipping price or should I stick to BookDepository?

I've been having a look at importing some stuff recently that's hard to find here in the UK. It all depends on which delivery option you choose. The most expensive one is the only option with tracking and insurance. It's probably worth comparing it to see whether it's more expensive with that on top if you buy it from IST. I've read a fair bit of positive feedback from people who have imported, even those who used the cheapest delivery option.

Total aside from IST but I always use wordery over book depository man, I usually find them a little consistent about processing the dispatching the order in a good time. Might be worth a look!

I've been having a look at importing some stuff recently that's hard to find here in the UK. It all depends on which delivery option you choose. The most expensive one is the only option with tracking and insurance. It's probably worth comparing it to see whether it's more expensive with that on top if you buy it from IST. I've read a fair bit of positive feedback from people who have imported, even those who used the cheapest delivery option.
The cheapest shipping option is like 28 usd mess Imma stick with bookdepository lmao.

Total aside from IST but I always use wordery over book depository man, I usually find them a little consistent about processing the dispatching the order in a good time. Might be worth a look!

I'll also check this out thanks :)

Sanjuro

How is "Spider-Man", the standalone with Miles? I know nothing about the character and just received a few random issues. Also, is there a good book right now in Marvel which is off the grid, or generally not intertwined in some universe story arc?

I did the thing where I looked at a bunch of things on the shelf and felt old and confused.

I'll also check this out thanks :)

Any book that's got the fast delivery thing marked on the page means that for 2 quid, you can get an unlimited number delivered next day, really great for bulk orders. Don't get me wrong book depository ar e totally fine, but sometimes I order there and they take days to process the order ha

How is "Spider-Man", the standalone with Miles? I know nothing about the character and just received a few random issues. Also, is there a good book right now in Marvel which is off the grid, or generally not intertwined in some universe story arc?

I did the thing where I looked at a bunch of things on the shelf and felt old and confused.

It's totally fine, imo Bendis' best effort these days, but still, you will probably end up on one side or the other with Bendis. I'd personally recommend Thor or Dr. Strange by Aaron, he manages to write real high profile stuff but keep it to himself for the most part. There's a bunch smaller books that keep to themselves too though. Hawkeye, Black Widow, Moon Knight, Black Panther, Punisher, Daredevil, all these books tend to keep to themselves.

Vision.

For stand-alone stories I'd recommend Vision, Black Widow and Black Panther.

Oh man. I wasn't expecting to like Superwoman so much.

Rogue literally started it. Wanda went to go pay her respects at Xavier's grave and Rogue gave her constant shit for it. Eventually Wanda was like, "Fuck it. Fuck you." and then Wanda tore her apart.

Ah thats when i dropped it. I didnt even read that issue.

Lego is superior to figures(and cheaper!).

Yes. Love the legos. I'm trying to buy the new Harley circus one with the Teen Titans in it.

I've never read Stormwatch. Anything worthwhile in that book?
YES!

Warren Ellis's Stormwatch run in the wild storm era is one of the best cape book runs. This is the book and universe that led to his 12 issue Authority run. Unfortunately only one trade is on CMX but trades of the run do exist

It's in 2 TPbs/HCs

TPBS
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/STORMWATCH-TP-VOL-01/MAR130282
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/STORMWATCH-TP-VOL-02/MAR140267

HCs
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/STORMWATCH-HC-VOL-01/OCT110250
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/STORMWATCH-HC-VOL-02/FEB130219

Ended up ordering the Ultimate Spider-Man trades I was missing from IST. Not expecting to receive them for a while as I chose one of the cheaper delivery options but that's fine. Just need to find Volumes 16 and 19 now.

Ross61

Well isn't that fun. Too bad it amounted to nothing. Besides, wouldn't that still apply to pre-Flashpoint Supes anyway?
The mystery of "New 52" and "Post Crisis" Superman and his family interest me so much and it's so bad that we won't be given more clues till later this year.

Busaiku

I finally got around to getting All Star Superman.
I liked the movie, which a lot of people seemed to have problems with, maybe now I'll see why.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Ended up ordering the Ultimate Spider-Man trades I was missing from IST. Not expecting to receive them for a while as I chose one of the cheaper delivery options but that's fine. Just need to find Volumes 16 and 19 now.

i remember reading a ton of USM on a beach in Mexico a few years ago. what a great memory that was.

Busaiku

I finally completed my Ultimate Spider-Man collection as well.
Grabbed all of Mr. Bendis's work involving the character, so this includes Ultimate Power and Ultimate Doomsday and the like. I skipped his 10 or so issues of Ultimate X-Men though.

It was actually cheaper to get in floppies, because some of those Ultimate Spider-Man volumes go for a lot.

Decided to cycle things back and reread Baltimore: Chapel Of Bones, before I moved on to the newer volumes I have sitting. Great collection of a series that I would recommend to anyone that has interest, likes any of Mignola's other stuff, or likes folklorey stuff like the witcher or anything. It's actually Christopher Golden that scripts the series but he forms the plot with Mike Mignola and it's really great. Previously the series has really used Baltimore's quest to hunt down the Vampire Haigus and exact revenge for his family's murder as a framing device. Each story tends to start with Baltimore on the hunt for Haigus before becoming distracted by some other horror lurking in the small plague filled villages of his world. In this volume though (which includes the Infernal Train story as well) characters finally intersect and the story really takes a step forward, effectively shaking itself from it's original premise and delving much deeper into it's lore as it does it. Baltimore, Haigus & the other key players all come out the other side with some sort of significant character development and/or change to their status quo and it leaves the book in a really exciting place. Similar to Hellboy etc though, while there is a lot of lore and hints towards the future, the book is full of very fun action sequences moment to moment and characters being put in awkward positions that keep the book's pace rattling along and I was super engaged throughout.

It also helps that Ben Stenbeck's artwork nails it all the way through, keeping the big moments dynamic, but with lots of fun little details during the quiet moments that make the world feel real and lived in. Sad knowing that this is his last volume on the book, but flicking through the next two HCs, it seems in good hands.

Overall, I'd definitely give the book a thumbs ups, and especially the HC, it's a really nicely produced volume that feels high quality, good binding etc. My only caveat is this is probably the first volume where I would say it would have helped if you read the previous books, it's maybe not the best jumping on point. In terms of following the story, it's not too dense in references and they go to lengths to refer back to relevant events but I'd say this really does feel like a cumulation and turning point for the series, and skipping previous entries would maybe take away that feeling that you've come to the end of the journey and the surprise of where it goes.

Is it easy to jump into knowing absolutely zero about that universe or its characters? I noticed his run starts at #37.

Want to read The Authority but I'm guessing it's better to start here.
it's a very easy jumping on point. Everything up to that was some very "thin" image style comics that was very disposable. Ellis gets you up to speed very quickly. Plus he adds a lot on his own along the way

tim1138

Is it easy to jump into knowing absolutely zero about that universe or its characters? I noticed his run starts at #37.

Want to read The Authority but I'm guessing it's better to start here.

Like gketter said, you can jump right in on Ellis' run and not be missing anything. He lays the groundwork and then introduces a bunch of new characters and concepts to really flesh out the universe. You can read the Authority without having read Stormwatch first, but it's so much better to read it all in order. If you haven't already, read Planetary as well. 1) It's phenomenal and 2) there's some fun easter eggs between Planetary and Stormwatch/Authority.

Astro City has no oversized Hardcovers?

Nope, but you should read it regardless. Astro City is cape comics at their finest.

Think I'm going to grab the spire when it hits trade, looks so good.

Any of you guys keep pull lists for your kids? I ha done for my boy when he was a bit younger but most the books got cancelled, marvel literally print episodes of their cartoons out on page now wtf, looking to get some on monthly for him but not sure what's going on these days for kids. This kaboom stuff maybe looks good?

Damn, everyone watch Kubo. It is very very well done. Lost its way a little bit in the last 15 minutes or so but still head and shoulders above most movies this summer.

And Regina Spektor's rendition of While My Guitar Gently Weeps (and the adapted music) is brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zagM1Memfw

Awesome, will likely hold off until the bluray arrives but it's definitely on my list, those guys are so good at what they do. And some Regina Spektor to boot, she played at my union when I was at uni, a very cool and talented lady, I think she played all the instruments bar one herself, it was a great night.

Top Bottom