• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Decided to cycle things back and reread Baltimore: Chapel Of Bones, before I moved on to the newer volumes I have sitting. Great collection of a series that I would recommend to anyone that has interest, likes any of Mignola's other stuff, or likes folklorey stuff like the witcher or anything. It's actually Christopher Golden that scripts the series but he forms the plot with Mike Mignola and it's really great. Previously the series has really used Baltimore's quest to hunt down the Vampire Haigus and exact revenge for his family's murder as a framing device. Each story tends to start with Baltimore on the hunt for Haigus before becoming distracted by some other horror lurking in the small plague filled villages of his world. In this volume though (which includes the Infernal Train story as well) characters finally intersect and the story really takes a step forward, effectively shaking itself from it's original premise and delving much deeper into it's lore as it does it. Baltimore, Haigus & the other key players all come out the other side with some sort of significant character development and/or change to their status quo and it leaves the book in a really exciting place. Similar to Hellboy etc though, while there is a lot of lore and hints towards the future, the book is full of very fun action sequences moment to moment and characters being put in awkward positions that keep the book's pace rattling along and I was super engaged throughout.

It also helps that Ben Stenbeck's artwork nails it all the way through, keeping the big moments dynamic, but with lots of fun little details during the quiet moments that make the world feel real and lived in. Sad knowing that this is his last volume on the book, but flicking through the next two HCs, it seems in good hands.

Overall, I'd definitely give the book a thumbs ups, and especially the HC, it's a really nicely produced volume that feels high quality, good binding etc. My only caveat is this is probably the first volume where I would say it would have helped if you read the previous books, it's maybe not the best jumping on point. In terms of following the story, it's not too dense in references and they go to lengths to refer back to relevant events but I'd say this really does feel like a cumulation and turning point for the series, and skipping previous entries would maybe take away that feeling that you've come to the end of the journey and the surprise of where it goes.

Great write up. I was always interested in it but never read any of it. Think I'll check it out once I read Hell on Earth. Mignola's stuff is the best.

I just finished The Authority last night and I really dug it. I need to get Stormwatch when I can.

My one and really only complaint of the mignola verse. Why the hell do you make figuring out your reading order such a chore? Having everything be an arc name is such a chore to find out how/what to read. Finally they started to actually number BPRD and a couple others. But given there's no reboots or really creative shakeup sit should be more like Walking dead or others and just keep going from #1-X. And only name side minis different arcs as appropriate

Tizoc

My one and really only complaint of the mignola verse. Why the hell do you make figuring out your reading order such a chore? Having everything be an arc name is such a chore to find out how/what to read. Finally they started to actually number BPRD and a couple others. But given there's no reboots or really creative shakeup sit should be more like Walking dead or others and just keep going from #1-X. And only name side minis different arcs as appropriate

Just do what I do when it comes to reading BPRD and Hellboy:
1- Read the Hellboy Wiki
2- The Mignolaverse reading order is Hellboy Vol. 1-5 then you can start BPRD.
3- Everything else not Hellboy or BPRD can be read inbetween

Actress/singer. I guess it's a big deal as some people find a non-white person playing Mary Jane terrifying for some reason.

I couldn't care less, at the end of the day it's all about characterization and/or acting performance.

Great write up. I was always interested in it but never read any of it. Think I'll check it out once I read Hell on Earth. Mignola's stuff is the best.

Cheers man, it's a great series that is really coming into its own. At first you read it and think well with a few things added why isn't this just part of the hellboy universe? But now with it going a bit deeper, it actually stands as this really cool thing that stands on its own and is kind of a good solution if you find reading orders or the sheer mass of mignola stuff a pain. Where are you at with Hell On Earth/are you reading Abe too?

It is definitely a little confusing, I would assume it's probably the number one barrier for entry to the whole mignolaverse, people look is, see the sheer amount and the number of different series with different tag lines and bounce right off. I've read the entire mignola line through now maybe 4-5 times since I finished catching up with the trades, I like to do it once a year from beginning to end, and even then I catch myself on reading order. The thing they don't make apparent enough, is that it's not too important, especially with the way the mignolaverse interacts. You can really do like hellboy vol 1-6, BPRD volume x-y, you don't need to switch every arc or anything, even though chronologically you could. There is absolutely crossover of lore and events, but it's often put to you in this eureka moment - if you've read the other side of a fact you were jsut given you have this "HOLY SHIT, THIS IS ACTUALLY CONNECTED TO THAT" , but if you haven't read that thing elsewhere, it's no biggie, and if you read the other thing later, it still comes together nicely, the books never hang on reading in a specific order. I totally agree though, I hope when everything is done and they come round to putting it all back out, they really sit down and think carefully about how they put it out and so on.

Just do what I do when it comes to reading BPRD and Hellboy:
1- Read the Hellboy Wiki
2- The Mignolaverse reading order is Hellboy Vol. 1-5 then you can start BPRD.
3- Everything else not Hellboy or BPRD can be read inbetween

Tiz, I wish I was as concise as you man XD

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the responses... so that and a Titans sub for the current line on it.

EDIT And it looks like Flash Rebirth #1, too.

Thanks for the responses... so that and a Titans sub for the current line on it.

Yeah.

Come to think of it, if you didn't read the n52 Death of Superman story, Rebirth sorta catches you up on that too, but it doesn't do a very good job of it. If you're going to check out the Super titles, you just need to know that
the n52 Superman died, his energy was dispersed to some other people, the Superman from the original DC universe has crossed over and taken up the mantle, though he is keeping his family in hiding because everyone knows Superman is Clark Kent here.

Owzers

DC Universe Rebirth is so weird as a starter book to a relaunch that basically introduces something that DC isn't doing anything with for a year or whenever. What's the point? It's like having a zero issue to a book that doesn't exist.

DC Universe Rebirth is so weird as a starter book to a relaunch that basically introduces something that DC isn't doing anything with for a year or whenever. What's the point? It's like having a zero issue to a book that doesn't exist.

They've done it before. Trinity War was previewed over a year before it happened. Simon Baz had not even debuted but he was in that story as a Green Lantern.

I wish I would have never stopped collecting all those years ago... too fucking much to get caught up on.

You know how it goes, though...there's always going to be references to stuff you haven't read. Everybody has to wikipedia sometimes.

I would say most of the Rebirth books are easy to jump into. Titans is a little confusing. The Superbooks do reference the Death of Superman arc and Action Comics even bounces out of Darkseid War from Justice League. Green Arrow references the shit out of the N52 book. But it's still easy enough to just jump in, maybe pick up a few back issues here and there or hit up wikipedia (or comicgaf!).

Marvel is nothing but good jumping-on points since they're refreshing their line so often now. You could hold out until Shattered Now in a couple of months or trace back to the beginning of ANAD for some good starting issues. Of course there will always be someone here who can advise you with any of these books.

DC Universe Rebirth is so weird as a starter book to a relaunch that basically introduces something that DC isn't doing anything with for a year or whenever. What's the point?

To entice people. Carrot on a stick.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
You know how it goes, though...there's always going to be references to stuff you haven't read.

I know... and I haven't been all that lost in most of the Rebirth stuff I have read, so it's not as bad as I made it seem. My wallet, though, that's the complainer.

Boogiepop

For what it's worth on the Mignolaverse reading order discussion, I'd say it's worth bothering to read things in the right order, as it's pretty cool to see all the way things tie together, and you get some great "oh holy crap they're pulling in that?!" moments (like for example it was a real cool moment for me when they pulled
the suit from Sledgehammer into an important role in the BPRD run... though that's the one where they seemingly figured it was "obscure" enough to actually require a recap when it came up there
(don't read that unless you're relatively current on BPRD).

I absolutely agree that it's nothing to let stop you, as everything should read just fine without worrying about such things. Just wanted to say that reading orders aren't totally useless or anything, and are worth giving a try if you can.

Oh, and unrelated, but I just got back into reading the small Transformers backlog I built up, and I hit MTMTE, which I was saving for last. Read through volume 8, and yeah, this really probably is the best book currently on shelves. Just so freaking amazing every single issue, and I love it so, so much. And I still have volume 9 to read, so yay!

$20, and I'll put it up against any of figure GAF's $200 dollar monstrosities. Lego. Fully posable. Gun actually fires.

Are you talking about the current community, or OG FigureGAF? Big difference.

Black Series Phasma cost me about the same as that. The gun doesn't fire but hell, she couldn't hit anything anyway.

Ah! It hurts my soul to look at these things you guys are paying money for.

Think I'm going to grab the spire when it hits trade, looks so good.

I read about 4 issues of it before I dropped it. Was kind of interesting, but also weird.

Zombine

Banned

Like BPRD #_: (Arc Name) 1 of _

I knew it. They're not that bad, I've just never really been a big fan. A lot of people in Off Topic seem to hate them more than cancer for some reason.

I'm very limited in the POPs I buy. I'm not out there collecting whole series or anything, and it's just the ones I really like. Usually I end up talking myself out of it by the time I get to the register. XD

The only complete set I have is the 3 from Space Ghost.

Cheers man, it's a great series that is really coming into its own. At first you read it and think well with a few things added why isn't this just part of the hellboy universe? But now with it going a bit deeper, it actually stands as this really cool thing that stands on its own and is kind of a good solution if you find reading orders or the sheer mass of mignola stuff a pain. Where are you at with Hell On Earth/are you reading Abe too?

It is definitely a little confusing, I would assume it's probably the number one barrier for entry to the whole mignolaverse, people look is, see the sheer amount and the number of different series with different tag lines and bounce right off. I've read the entire mignola line through now maybe 4-5 times since I finished catching up with the trades, I like to do it once a year from beginning to end, and even then I catch myself on reading order. The thing they don't make apparent enough, is that it's not too important, especially with the way the mignolaverse interacts. You can really do like hellboy vol 1-6, BPRD volume x-y, you don't need to switch every arc or anything, even though chronologically you could. There is absolutely crossover of lore and events, but it's often put to you in this eureka moment - if you've read the other side of a fact you were jsut given you have this "HOLY SHIT, THIS IS ACTUALLY CONNECTED TO THAT" , but if you haven't read that thing elsewhere, it's no biggie, and if you read the other thing later, it still comes together nicely, the books never hang on reading in a specific order. I totally agree though, I hope when everything is done and they come round to putting it all back out, they really sit down and think carefully about how they put it out and so on.

Yea I've got all the LEs and digital trades that helped streamline hellboy and BPRD to an extent but it's still overly convoluted. But then they've gone and done it again with Baltimore. I started looking into it during a CMX sale and i had to once again go to a wiki or some site and read the order of events. And this is coming from a monthly BPRD reader since the first issue and whatnot.

For what it's worth on the Mignolaverse reading order discussion, I'd say it's worth bothering to read things in the right order, as it's pretty cool to see all the way things tie together, and you get some great "oh holy crap they're pulling in that?!" moments (like for example it was a real cool moment for me when they pulled
the suit from Sledgehammer into an important role in the BPRD run... though that's the one where they seemingly figured it was "obscure" enough to actually require a recap when it came up there
(don't read that unless you're relatively current on BPRD).

I absolutely agree that it's nothing to let stop you, as everything should read just fine without worrying about such things. Just wanted to say that reading orders aren't totally useless or anything, and are worth giving a try if you !

First thanks for using the spoiler tags haha those trades only come out so fast. To your point, I think it's worth it to a point. I 100% agree it's amazing when you have those moments, but I think they've always been very elegant with this stuff so that if you didn't know any better, you don't even realise you've missed anything and to an extent, if you find out certain parts of the puzzle in a different order, it isn't too much of a problem. It's literally the best execution of a shared universe in the comics medium imo. I think of things like edward greys golden sword that keeps popping up, Edward grey himself in fact, the secret history of the world. You have all these puzzle pieces but you don't need them to enjoy the core story and it's okay of you got one awhile ago and only just got round to read x book and wow, you never knew that this meant that or so and so we're connected. I love it. LOVE IT.

Yea I've got all the LEs and digital trades that helped streamline bellboy and BPRD to an extent but it's still overly convoluted. But then they've gone and done it again with Baltimore. I started looking into it during a CMX sale and i had to once again go to a wiki or some site and read the order of events. And this is coming from a monthly BPRD reader since the first issue and whatnot.

Haha too true. At least with Baltimore, for me as a trade reader, it literally is just volumes 1-6 straight through. Btw as someone who's read from the beginning then. I wrote a post a few days ago, no worried if you don't have the time to go look at it, but it was my first post back, wrote a little about the mignolaverse as it stands and the writer exodus happening right now. Would love to hear your thoughts on that, and anyone else of course. I didnt really get a response and I was interested in how people feel about that.

Yea I've got all the LEs and digital trades that helped streamline bellboy and BPRD to an extent but it's still overly convoluted. But then they've gone and done it again with Baltimore. I started looking into it during a CMX sale and i had to once again go to a wiki or some site and read the order of events. And this is coming from a monthly BPRD reader since the first issue and whatnot.

I am only at LE 4 in the reading order, but does the chronological order really matter? Clearly Mignola and others are ok with back-filling gaps in the universe. Would the release order not be a perfectly adequate alternative?

Poe Dameron #5 was good. The second arc's already been more enjoyable than the first. It's a better prison arc than Rebel Jail was in the mainline Star Wars series. Terex is a good villain and I like how Soule is using Grakkus in the book.

I am only at LE 4 in the reading order, but does the chronological order really matter? Clearly Mignola and others are ok with back-filling gaps in the universe. Would the release order not be a perfectly adequate alternative?

I honestly don't think it's a big deal, although the way they present it to people from a publishing stand point would make it seem so. Annoying when I think the writers deal with everything so gracefully. I think release order totally is fine. Literally, to boil everything down to its simplest from, I would only every encourage people to a) hold off starting BPRD until after or aorund The Island in Hellboy, and b) don't read Abe: The Dark and The Terrible onwards until you hit the right point in BPRD. Otherwise, people can really go as they like with the short stories, the side series and so on.

I wish I would have never stopped collecting all those years ago... too fucking much to get caught up on.

Hey, as I'm sure you've picked up, it's incredibly simple and easy to jump on the hellboy stuff you could always just ditch DC and MArvel and go for that? ;)

When I say reading order I'm mainly talking about release order. They keep resetting the numbering for each arc even if it's the same continuing story. I finally gave up and wait for trades so I don't have to worry about it. And sites like CMX help by sorting it for you for singles. And even then I think I've seen them not alway be in release order all the time. And back in the day buying the singles? Good luck trying to piece all that together

See the single issues section here for what I mean.
https://www.comixology.com/Baltimore/comics-series/15924?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L3RhYmxldC9zbGlkZXJMaXN0L3Nlcmllc1NsaWRlcg&Issues_pg=3&Issues_pg=1
https://www.comixology.com/B-P-R-D-Vol-1/comics-series/1749?ref=cHVibGlzaGVyL3ZpZXcvdGFibGV0L2xpc3Qvc2VyaWVzTGlzdA&Issues_pg=2

When I say reading order I'm mainly talking about release order. They keep resetting the numbering for each arc even if it's the same continuing story. I finally gave up and wait for trades so I don't have to worry about it. And sites like CMX help by sorting it for you for singles. And even then I think I've seen them not alway be in release order all the time. And back in the day buying the singles? Good luck trying to piece all that together

See the single issues section here for what I mean.
https://www.comixology.com/Baltimore/comics-series/15924?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L3RhYmxldC9zbGlkZXJMaXN0L3Nlcmllc1NsaWRlcg&Issues_pg=3&Issues_pg=1
https://www.comixology.com/B-P-R-D-Vol-1/comics-series/1749?ref=cHVibGlzaGVyL3ZpZXcvdGFibGV0L2xpc3Qvc2VyaWVzTGlzdA&Issues_pg=2

Oh, I see what you mean. It does look like a pain for single issue readers.

Tizoc

When you're traveling through space and you gotta keep it real
00a40FE.jpg

It's how I've been doing it these past few years whenever I do my annual Mignolaverse re-read:
Finish up all of Hellboy, then finish up all of BPRD, then conclude it all with some good old Lobster Johnson.
Oh yeah and I m ake sure to read the Abe Sapien series whenever the TPBs bring it up @_@

Natasha
making an idiot out of Tony
in Black Widow #6 was so good. This arc's been really great. Definitely up there with Vision and Black Panther as Marvel's best book.

Backstagers #1: OHHH MAN I can't believe I almost skipped this! Thank you BLL for bringing it to my attention, it's fucking delightful. I was a theater kid in high school so I know all about
the terrible creatures that lurk in the shadows backstage
. The whole book is super silly but in a great way. Highly recommended for fans of Steven Universe or Gravity Falls. That's probably all I have to say.

Black Widow #6:

wP0h6j3.gif

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is there a good Predator book where the Yautja goes against Colonial Marines in a Space Station setting? Please no Xenos involvement.

I got all of it during the last Dark Horse sale on Comixology but I'm only a couple of issues into Hell on Earth right now. I put it on hold to read some other titles first.

Haven't gotten into Abe but I have read all of Hellboy, Hellboy in Hell, and BPRD before this. Also got that Frankenstein book but haven't gotten around to reading it yet either lol. I've been keeping up with the Hellboy and BPRD 1950s stuff as it releases too and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Read the first issue of Midnighter and it was awesome. Like, this issue alone was better than almost anything else from the New 52 kind of awesome. Yes I'm being hyperbolic, but I'm probably not wrong.

Dialogue is so sharp and the action scenes are handled really well. Mad I didn't read this while it was an ongoing.

Backstagers #1: OHHH MAN I can't believe I almost skipped this! Thank you BLL for bringing it to my attention, it's fucking delightful. I was a theater kid in high school so I know all about
the terrible creatures that lurk in the shadows backstage
. The whole book is super silly but in a great way. Highly recommended for fans of Steven Universe or Gravity Falls. That's probably all I have to say.

Black Widow #6:

wP0h6j3.gif
I hyped it ever since Tynion announced it! :p

I'm switching to a silly avatar now since it looks like we won't get new Nova Prime art for at least a month since the solicit had zero info apart from the teaser cover.

Edit:
Read the first issue of Midnighter and it was awesome. Like, this issue alone was better than almost anything else from the New 52 kind of awesome. Yes I'm being hyperbolic, but I'm probably not wrong.

Dialogue is so sharp and the action scenes are handled really well. Mad I didn't read this while it was an ongoing.
You picking up the new mini when it's out?

Ross61

They could've at least got Aquaman some better artist or one's who styles are similar to Brad Walker's. They difference between the three is jarring, and trade waiter's finding out are probably gonna be pissed. I sound like a broken record but I really hope it turns into a monthly.

They could've at least got Aquaman some better artist or one's who styles are similar to Brad Walker's. They difference between the three is jarring, and trade waiter's finding out are probably gonna be pissed. I sound like a broken record but I really hope it turns into a monthly.
It will after one year/six months have passed going by what some writers and artists have said. Books that work fine are staying while others go to monthly.

When Johns shows up again to do the hyped arc it'll probably already be a monthly book.

tim1138

I tried to tell y'all how great it was, each and every month. It was the best DC book that (literally) no one was reading.

Don't skip out on Midnighter and Apollo when it starts in October, if it does well we'll continue to get more.

Ross61

It will after one year/six months have passed going by what some writers and artists have said. Books that work fine are staying while others go to monthly.

When Johns shows up again to do the hyped arc it'll probably already be a monthly book.

It just seemed poor planning on DC's part. I mean didn't Sinestro, the book Brad Walker was on, just end before Rebirth. He was supposed to be on like atleast 2 issues, but has only been on one. The art is the only issue I have with the book right now.

Top Bottom