• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

I have to admit, I'm really enjoying the Suicide Squad Silver Age omnibus. I'm coming around to this silver age stuff. The plot development and writing were waaay more simple, but the stories were really FUN and inventive.

Also, the art is great and the restoration quality is AMAZING. Best I've ever seen.

http://i.imgur.com/sXjZXLx.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/KhmqMAC.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/rhqZrtU.jpg[/QUOTE]
That looks cool. My only exposure to this crew I believe was in New Frontier

To many books this week.

Archie #11
Batgirl #2 
Blue Beetle: Rebirth #1
Detective Comics #939
Invincible #130
Lazarus #24
Outcast #20
Saga #37
Snot Girl #2
The Flash #5
Wonder Woman #5 

Deus Ex week list AAAAAHHHHHHHH

Kingsway West #1
Clean Room #11
Detective Comics #939
Wonder Woman #5
Rom #2
Invincible #130
Snot Girl #2
Star Wars #22

Captain America: Sam Wilson #12
This is absolutely one of the best books Marvel has going right now. How deep in the Captain America mythos and modern sociopolitical climate that this book goes is absolutely fantastic. I cannot get over this issue. Fucking phenomenal. And Daniel Acuña on art...goddamn man you're a beautiful person.
Read the first issue of Midnighter and it was awesome. Like, this issue alone was better than almost anything else from the New 52 kind of awesome. Yes I'm being hyperbolic, but I'm probably not wrong.

Dialogue is so sharp and the action scenes are handled really well. Mad I didn't read this while it was an ongoing.
It's quite literally perfect.
I tried to tell y'all how great it was, each and every month. It was the best DC black that (literally) no one was reading.

Don't skip out on Midnighter and Apollo when it starts in October, if it does well we'll continue to get more.
I was on the train, too!
Should I read Inhumans by Jenkins/Lee before I read Inhuman by Soule?
You don't have to, but I highly recommend it. It's a fantastic book and is a solid introduction to the entire Royal Family (minus Ahura and Luna). Which'll help because the Royal Family's relationships get rather tumultuous.
So, I've never watched The Flash TV show but would like to watch some of it to prepare for Flashpoint and the crossovers later this year. Anyone have an abridged, "must watch" list of episodes?
I don't understand. Just watch the whole show. Or don't. I'd go with "don't."

PsychBat!

Banned
What are the chances of the 1st Hickman FF Omnibus getting a reprint?

Greater than the chance that the final issues of Hickman's SHIELD book being released.

So I went to watch two movies with my sisters tonight: Kubo and Suicide Squad. Kubo was great, and Suicide Squad needed the entire script to be rewritten and to not have fast paced editing. I'll elaborate later.

Picked up Shutter Vol. 4 and Injection Vol. 2.

Shutter seems to be back on track after some questionable writing in Vol. 3 and sorta...getting away from itself. Specifically it becomes way more focused and utilizes it's "Tin Tin" flat comic panel flashbacks well while tying together the Christopher family in some real fucked up ways. The chapter that was three long panels on each page, each color coded to Chris, Leopard and Kris showing how their father changed over time and his relationship with them and how it had hardened him was a pretty rough ride. From being involved in his daughter's life, to being the secret friend for his given up son to naming Chris "Chris" because it was getting too damn troublesome to keep naming his kids new shit. And the way it went top to bottom from newest to oldest you could see such a strong progression of their story as much as their father's and why their father at that time led them to be how they are. Phenomenal writing.

Which makes it all the more impactful when at the end
all of them die except for Kate and Chris, who gets kidnapped
. That was a real fucking gut punch. And then the Epilogue. If Kate doesn't
try to kill her dad
at the start of the next volume I will be super surprised. Then again, she might be too angry to.

Meanwhile Injection Vol. 2 has pretty much confirmed Warren Ellis as my favorite comic book writer and my strong belief that he is the best writer currently in comic books. He has way way more consistency than a Morrison who ranges the gamut between "nonsensical shlock" and "brilliant treasure" so fast from issue to issue I get whiplash and though he is closely followed by people like Kirkman, Vaughan and Brubaker I think Ellis just consistently knocks his shit out of the park even if he isn't as prolific as some contemporaries (like Remender, how many ongoings does that guy have?). This Volume was the Headland show and oh my god what a fucking character he is. The dialogue in this was so on point and at times hilarious or chilling especially considering it was just him solving a case that tied into the whole of what is happening with the Injection. There was some drip feeds of new info but it was mostly just watching Headland interacting with people and solving the case and it being so amusing the whole time. I will fully support a Headland spin off where he just solves cases with Red. This was a riot, blew through it start to finish without stopping.

Not sure what else is coming out next or what volumes I'll be picking up to flesh out stuff I missed but I still am waiting on pins and needles for Volume 4 of The Wicked And Divine.

Kubo and the Two Strings was bloody amazing y'all.

kubo.gif

I love the way Chuck Dixon writes Batman. Tom Lyle's pencils, along with Adrienne Roy's coloring helps significantly. Colorful and snappy. Great use of yellows, oranges, pinks, and purples.

Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle also got that shit on lock. Honestly I'm debating reading all the Grant/Breyfogle stuff

Finally got around to ordering some stuff I've been meaning to get into.

Damn I like this list, you have some real gems on there. That Rumble vol.2 is reaaaall good, there's some great storytelling about storytelling in it that really fascinates me. The halloween issue too <3

Got a big list of trades sitting in a basket on wordery just waiting for the trigger to be pulled, trying to wait til I get paid at the beginning of the month. Hellboy 1953 is in there too, first book with Roberson on writing I believe so I'm crossing my fingers I enjoy it, it's going to be brutal if I don't dig him, he's all we've got for a good while.

Dalek

I'm just in awe of how great Sam Wilson Captain America is. What a great and modern book-I never want Sam to give the shield back-in fact how can they even do that now that this issue has come out.

JLA by Grant Morrison

Finally finished reading this run. Really amazing stuff, and such a strong finish which was kind of impressive given that it was pretty much a string of fantastic arcs.

Batman was a god. Superman was fantastic. Plastic Man was a pleasant surprise and would be my favorite if not for Kyle...

Seeing Kyle go from rookie JLA member to pro by the end really put me in the mood to read some of his stuff, despite not knowing much about him prior to this. He was great and a couple of panels in the final arc when he's alone really puts his time in the JLA in perspective.

Paper Girls v1 was ok but seems like another series that'll stretch things out cliffhanger by cliffhanger. Maybe I'll give it another shot once it is complete.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Paper Girls v1 was ok but seems like another series that'll stretch things out cliffhanger by cliffhanger. Maybe I'll give it another shot once it is complete.

First time I read the TPB it didn't connect, but I was hooked after I read it again. Maybe give it another read? The cliffhangers are so good... but I would probably feel differently if I read the single issues.

Only ever read BKV in trade, and my original read of Y the last man was a literally beginning to end in a few days haha I never really thought about the cliffhanger thing as a defining trait of his writing, will be thinking about that next time. For me, it's the characters, really great character journeys that you can tell he really cares about and contain aspects of his own life and experiences. Y the last man about basically growing up and realising things about yourself, and that the one might not be the one, Ex Machina being post 9/11, his political thoughts maturing and life as a new yorker, and Saga about becoming a parent and that not necessarily making you a mature adult instantly. I haven't always related to certain aspects, but in general, his stuff has always managed to speak to me at the right stages of my life. He's older than me, but I think everyone goes through those journeys through young adulthood, your first serious relationships, becoming aware of the world around you, realising your parents are people too with flaws, and often yourself in ways you didn't expect due to certain life milestones. Got Paper girls vol.1 sitting in my basket right now, can't wait to check it out.

Bit of a sprawling post there sorry haha but I think I got my thought across.

Reading the thread and I see a mention for Valiant comics. This is probably my first time hearing of them. Worth getting into?

Some googling makes it seem like DC/Marvel done better albeit on a significantly smaller scale.

And if worth it, should I start from the reboot/relaunch?

First time I read the TPB it didn't connect, but I was hooked after I read it again. Maybe give it another read? The cliffhangers are so good... but I would probably feel differently if I read the single issues.

I always read BKV in singles. How do people feel "strung along"? Dude is a fucking master of single issue to issue storytelling.

Reading the thread and I see a mention for Valiant comics. This is probably my first time hearing of them. Worth getting into?

Some googling makes it seem like DC/Marvel done better albeit on a significantly smaller scale.

Hell yes. Just skip Shadowman.

It's not as small a scale as you think. Just more concentrated.

I also like Sam Wilson: Captain America, which is not something I thought I'd say about a Nick Spencer comic in 2016. Maybe its just Acuna cuz I've been reading Uncanny Avengers recently.

I love the way Chuck Dixon writes Batman. Tom Lyle's pencils, along with Adrienne Roy's coloring helps significantly. Colorful and snappy. Great use of yellows, oranges, pinks, and purples.

Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle also got that shit on lock. Honestly I'm debating reading all the Grant/Breyfogle stuff

You should, its quite good

JLA by Grant Morrison

Finally finished reading this run. Really amazing stuff, and such a strong finish which was kind of impressive given that it was pretty much a string of fantastic arcs.

Batman was a god. Superman was fantastic. Plastic Man was a pleasant surprise and would be my favorite if not for Kyle...

Seeing Kyle go from rookie JLA member to pro by the end really put me in the mood to read some of his stuff, despite not knowing much about him prior to this. He was great and a couple of panels in the final arc when he's alone really puts his time in the JLA in perspective.

Morrison has a couple of more good JLA stories he's done on the side. There's JLA: Earth 2 with Frank Quitely, and the first three issues of JLA Classified with Ed McGuinness. Both readily available on Comixology if that's ya thing.

Kubo and the Two Strings was bloody amazing y'all.

kubo.gif

*rooney mara voice* Kuboooooooooooooooooo

also whatsinaname you might be curious to read more American Flagg! not written/drawn by Howard Chaykin. Don't. It only works with him. You can tell even by the second season it was wonderfully ephemeral thing

kmfdmpig

Dixon was perfect for Batman books. Batman, Birds of Prey, Nightwing, and Batgirl were all good to great with him writing.

I also like Sam Wilson: Captain America, which is not something I thought I'd say about a Nick Spencer comic in 2016. Maybe its just Acuna cuz I've been reading Uncanny Avengers recently.

Morrison has a couple of more good JLA stories he's done on the side. There's JLA: Earth 2 with Frank Quitely, and the first three issues of JLA Classified with Ed McGuinness. Both readily available on Comixology if that's ya thing.

*rooney mara voice* Kuboooooooooooooooooo

also whatsinaname you might be curious to read more American Flagg! not written/drawn by Howard Chaykin. Don't. It only works with him. You can tell even by the second season it was wonderfully ephemeral thing

Just finished JLA Earth 2 actually and really enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for Quietly art, so as soon as I knew he was on it, guaranteed purchase. Will get to Classifieds soon/eventually.

Trying to figure out how to approach the Valiant stuff with some other recommendations I have pending from this thread.

Stage 1: Damn, Casanova v1 is awesome. Love the colours.

Stage 2: Moon and Ba are so good!

Stage 3: These Chabon backups are weird and cool. Can't wait to see how they connect up.

Stage 4: Why do I feel like I am missing a lot of context that this book isn't explicitly talking about.

Stage 5: Shit, this isn't Casanova v1, I picked up the wrong book. This is Casanova Acedia v1.

It's like the time I read Ender's Shadow before Ender's Game because I saw a #1 on the cover.

YsFaEJz.png

Still pretty good though, really enjoyed it.

Fraction seems to have a thing for Louboutins. And unlike Hawkeye, at least the colorist got it right here.

Definitely plan to stop here, everything wrapped up pretty nicely. And the book was so unique, I can see how someone else might have trouble following up.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
JLA: Earth 2 is amazing. Loved how Batman helped to clean up the Earth 2 Gotham and didnt realized that he helped putting them on the electric chair until the end and was like "welp".

Saga is the week after.

Lazarus is also the week after.

Well, that's the first and last time I trust Comixology instead of hitting up Comic List. Still a busy week by my standards.

Archie #11
Batgirl #2
Blue Beetle Rebirth #1
Detective Comics #939
Flash #5
Invincible #130
Outcast #20
Snot Girl #2
Wonder Woman #5

1) Sign up for a thirty day free trial on Scribd.
2) Follow this reading order.
3) Binge read the entire reboot.

It's highly uneven, mind you. I'm about a third complete and some of it has been good. Mostly not. XO is the standout so far. Bloodshot is awful. But it's free.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
I always read BKV in singles. How do people feel "strung along"? Dude is a fucking master of single issue to issue storytelling.

Strung along in the sense that "Fuck, I have to wait a whole month to get the next installment!" I agree that he is amazing, but for me trades seem to be the best way to read him.

MnyhCQE.png
Batman, Batman, and Son. Sounds like a hijinksy sitcom involving clones
I'll see if there are any big collections
Dixon was perfect for Batman books. Batman, Birds of Prey, Nightwing, and Batgirl were all good to great with him writing.

Dixon was king of the bat family books

He wrote the best and definitive versions of Tim, Dick, and Babs
Yeah I'm loving Dixon. His Nightwing run is godlike and right now I'm reading the big Robin TPBs that have been getting released. Love it.

tim1138

Batman, Batman, and Son. Sounds like a hijinksy sitcom involving clones

I'll see if there are any big collections

Yeah I'm loving Dixon. His Nightwing run is godlike and right now I'm reading the big Robin TPBs that have been getting released. Love it.

There is one big Breyfogle Batman hardcover out now and another out early next year

kmfdmpig

Quick poll among the Dixon fans then, what did you guys think of Robin Year One?

It's been a long time, but I remember liking it, not loving it. I think my hang up at the time was that "Year One" made me compare it to Batman Year One, which is one of my all time favorite runs and makes for a very difficult comparison. I'd be interested to give it another show now without that baggage to see how it holds up for me.

For me, one of the best ways that Dixon stands out is during crossovers like Knightfall or No Man's Land. There are noticeable drops in quality with some of the writers (sorry Larry Hama, but your one issue in No Man's Land was so far off the mark) and then others that shine like Dixon, Moench, Brubaker and Rucka.

Love the pricing on those Image Vol.1s.

You know, I read the first four issues of Paper Girls and then dropped it. Then decided to catch up after everyone talk about how great it is. Of course, it picks up in the issue after I initially dropped it.

HQ #4 variant cover:

These HQ covers are better than the actual book.

Bill Sienkiewicz is a god

He's okay. I think he does great covers, but his interiors feel a bit too schizophrenic to me to carry a narrative. I think David Mack has the same problem in some areas of Kabuki.

It's been a long time, but I remember liking it, not loving it. I think my hang up at the time was that "Year One" made me compare it to Batman Year One, which is one of my all time favorite runs and makes for a very difficult comparison. I'd be interested to give it another show now without that baggage to see how it holds up for me.

I think I bounced off it a little harder than you, but this is basically my experience, and I'd wager the same reason. Huge fan of Batman: Year One also (who isn't!) and I'd actually bought my partner both books because she was looking to get into batman comics. I'd never read Robin YO before so I picked it up after her. My only history reading Dixon to my memory is his Prophet run with Stephen Platt which I read as a youngster around the age of 10-11, and Robin Year One about 5 years ago. Just found it the passion you guys have for him interesting, wanted to probe a little there, maybe something I'm missing, or worth going back to. I'm always on the lookout for good bat runs I've missed.

Love the pricing on those Image Vol.1s.

Always disappointed when I go to grab a second volume of an image series, can't beat that £5 price tag, if only it lasted >_<

Top Bottom