• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Zombine

Banned
Didn't know that FF vol 1 Omni by Hickman went OOP. I'm surprised that I actually got that before it happened. Picked up vol 1&2 maybe a year or so ago.

There is one big Breyfogle Batman hardcover out now and another out early next year

Awesome. I just love the way Batman is portrayed. Similar to TAS Batman, where he actually has emotions and behaves like a human being. Also, the emphasis seems to be on his detective skills over his combat, which I vastly prefer.

Nah, they only do it as an intro price for a new series. If you're picking up volume 2, they figure they've already got you on the hook.

Nah I get that they do it as an official intro thing, I just mean it's heart rending to be thinking how I could literally buy double the books I do if they did it for all trades haha

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Nah I get that they do it as an official intro thing, I just mean it's heart rending to be thinking how I could literally buy double the books I do if they did it for all trades haha
Yeah, even on IST, volumes are really expensive. I don't understand how comic shops stay in business with how much they normally cost.

It'll never happen but I wish the industry would agree to lower the price on trades.

Suicide Squad #1 was decent. Not sure why Lee's doing the art if he can only do thirteen pages though. Croc
barfing in his space suit was a sight

Yeah, even on IST, volumes are really expensive. I don't understand how comic shops stay in business with how much they normally cost.

It'll never happen but I wish the industry would agree to lower the price on trades.

Totally agree, although I will also admit at the same time that I'm totally ignorant to what their actual profit margins are with books,and so on. As the end consumer i definitely want cheaper regardless of reasoning haha but I don't actually know what the publishers can realistically do on their end. There are certainly publishers that put out books though that I basically have to skip because they surpass my own personal comfortable levels on price per book, and I wonder how they wrestle with that k ow ledge on their end. Sad that DC are ditching hardcover for all rebirth collections to bring price down, because I don't really want that either haha.

VanWinkle

Didn't know that FF vol 1 Omni by Hickman went OOP. I'm surprised that I actually got that before it happened. Picked up vol 1&2 maybe a year or so ago.

It's been out of print for a loong time. I'd love to have it but no way I'm paying OOP prices. Doubt it will go back in print either since Marvel doesn't care about FF right now.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Totally agree, although I will also admit at the same time that I'm totally ignorant to what their actual profit margins are with books,and so on. Sad that DC are ditching hardcover for all rebirth collections to bring price down, because I don't really want that either haha.

Yeah, I wonder about the profit margins at IST, as well-- some of their prices are crazy cheap. And I didn't realize DC is out of the HC market for the Rebirth trades... I was actually going to go all HC for those... the omnibus of Rebirth's #1s is hardcover at least.

Zombine

Banned
Selling. Look at sold listings. Strongly considering listing my set.
It's been out of print for a loong time. I'd love to have it but no way I'm paying OOP prices. Doubt it will go back in print either since Marvel doesn't care about FF right now.

Wow. I mean, all signs say I should sell it but I didn't get into this hobby to make money. I love that run too much to let it go for a couple hundred bucks I'll legit spend on nonsense.

Yeah, I wonder about the profit margins at IST, as well-- some of their prices are crazy cheap. And I didn't realize DC is out of the HC market for the Rebirth trades... I was actually going to go all HC for those... the omnibus of Rebirth's #1s is hardcover at least.

Interesting article by Jim Zub a few years back that I found on Google there, this is more about single issues but very eye opening. It's also different with bigger writers that sell more copies, and big two books, but still very interesting. Makes me feel cheeky for asking for cheaper haha

http://www.jimzub.com/the-reality-of-mainstream-creator-owned-comics/

Yea Didio did an interview with comicvine I believe where he said all books would ve paperbacks to start with. I guess that means they will do HCS afterwards but I won't have enough to buy twice and I'd rather not wait. Didio said they were doing it to make prices cheaper for consumers and they'd be pushing to get trades out quicker. The first king batman trade drops in Jan! I like that ay least haha

Totally agree, although I will also admit at the same time that I'm totally ignorant to what their actual profit margins are with books,and so on. As the end consumer i definitely want cheaper regardless of reasoning haha but I don't actually know what the publishers can realistically do on their end. There are certainly publishers that put out books though that I basically have to skip because they surpass my own personal comfortable levels on price per book, and I wonder how they wrestle with that k ow ledge on their end. Sad that DC are ditching hardcover for all rebirth collections to bring price down, because I don't really want that either haha.

I remember reading somewhere that the highest tier of discount for retailers at Diamond is 55% for DC/Marvel. So for a $100 omnibus, they pay $45 (plus whatever bulk shipping may be). So if IST sell it for their regular 42% discount, that is a $13 profit (minus their warehouse/shipping/personnel costs,etc of course).

Wow. I mean, all signs say I should sell it but I didn't get into this hobby to make money. I love that run too much to let it go for a couple hundred bucks I'll legit spend on nonsense.

True, but I see those numbers and then look at my upcoming list of purchases and I get tempted...

I won't go through with it though, especially with all these new FF runs I am enjoying

Gotham Academy #3 early solicit:
GA-Second-Semester-03-COVER.jpg
GOTHAM ACADEMY: SECOND SEMESTER #3
Written by BRENDEN FLETCHER, KARL KERSCHL and BECKY CLOONAN
Art by ADAM ARCHER, MSASSYK and SANDRA HOPE
Cover by KARL KERSCHL
Variant cover by FIONA STAPLES

Could it be? Maps Mizoguchi has abandoned Detective Club for… Witch Club?! The gang refuses to believe that their fearless cartographer would ever betray them. A mystery must be afoot! But who is behind it and what sinister plans do they have for the Academy?

On sale NOVEMBER 9 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED E

Batman Annual #1 early solicit:
BMAnnual_1_CVR_fnl.jpg
BATMAN ANNUAL #1
Written by TOM KING, SCOTT SNYDER, PAUL DINI, STEVE ORLANDO and SCOTT WILSON
Art by DAVID FINCH, RILEY ROSSMO, NEAL ADAMS and others
Cover by DAVID FINCH

“SILENT NIGHT”! A hush of winter snowfall has fallen over Gotham City…but a quiet night in this place is never truly quiet. Batman and his allies—and his many foes—stalk the streets in this icy showcase of top talent.

On sale NOVEMBER 30 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T
The first line makes me think Hush is showing up. But damn at that lineup and page count!

Do the benefits of digital outweigh being able to sell penciled pages?

Artists can sell their proofs, basically one of a kind prints of their pages. They can also be selective as to which pages they draw fully digitally. Some digital artists will traditionally draw spreads or pages they think would sell pretty well.

Zombine

Banned
And I mean...let me tell you...artists aren't banking on selling pages every month. They're like a surprise kickback every so often. You're only moving pages if you're selling dirt cheap (and hurting your own brand), and having a dealer take a cut of your profit isn't going to end up lighting your wallet on fire if they're getting a big chunk out of your sale. Not to mention you really only see a lot of moment during holiday sales.

So yeah, as an art collector I would say that your best bet is to go digital + what Ed said.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting article by Jim Zub a few years back that I found on Google there, this is more about single issues but very eye opening. It's also different with bigger writers that sell more copies, and big two books, but still very interesting. Makes me feel cheeky for asking for cheaper haha

http://www.jimzub.com/the-reality-of-mainstream-creator-owned-comics/

Yea Didio did an interview with comicvine I believe where he said all books would ve paperbacks to start with. I guess that means they will do HCS afterwards but I won't have enough to buy twice and I'd rather not wait. Didio said they were doing it to make prices cheaper for consumers and they'd be pushing to get trades out quicker. The first king batman trade drops in Jan! I like that ay least haha

Thanks for the link-- bookmarked for later. And, yeah, my local store told me that DC was getting better about trade schedules when I asked about tradewaiting on certain series, since I missed too many issues.

I remember reading somewhere that the highest tier of discount for retailers at Diamond is 55% for DC/Marvel. So for a $100 omnibus, they pay $45 (plus whatever bulk shipping may be). So if IST sell it for their regular 42% discount, that is a $13 profit (minus their warehouse/shipping/personnel costs,etc of course).

Not bad if you are selling crazy amounts. Kinda the Amazon model, no?

Boogiepop

Can you imagine a world where every company released every volume at 5 dollars? Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

Very, VERY different situation, but your average volume of manga in Japan will cost you around $4-5 for 200 pages or so, and then you can find a ton of stuff used in good condition for $1 a pop.

Actually, thinking on the differences between the manga and comic markets, has anybody really managed to pull off the magazine/compilation model in the US comic market? (Isn't Judge Dredd from something like that, initially?) Kind of funny how that rules the market in Japan, but I can't really think of a US example.

Ponn

Banned

Yea, Vol. 2 is still available and i've been debating for awhile to get it or not. It's a great way to get all of the Hickman FF stuff which I admit I was stupid to pass on back when I was doing floppies during that time. I'm just a completionist though so if I don't have Vol. 1 sitting next to Vol. 2 on my shelf its going to really bother me and if I don't get vol. 2 and they reprint vol. 1 I will kick myself in the ass on that day real hard.

kmfdmpig

I think I bounced off it a little harder than you, but this is basically my experience, and I'd wager the same reason. Huge fan of Batman: Year One also (who isn't!) and I'd actually bought my partner both books because she was looking to get into batman comics. I'd never read Robin YO before so I picked it up after her. My only history reading Dixon to my memory is his Prophet run with Stephen Platt which I read as a youngster around the age of 10-11, and Robin Year One about 5 years ago. Just found it the passion you guys have for him interesting, wanted to probe a little there, maybe something I'm missing, or worth going back to. I'm always on the lookout for good bat runs I've missed.

Always disappointed when I go to grab a second volume of an image series, can't beat that £5 price tag, if only it lasted >_<

For me what makes Dixon great is that he is very consistent. He gets the characters right (in my view) and doesn't have bad issues. There are not many specific Dixon issues I'd point to as must reads (Although some of his Birds of Prey books are close), but when he's on a run issue after issue it just works well for. He not only gets the characters but helps build them as well. The Bat-family books were in good hands while Denny O'Neil was the editor for them.

kmfdmpig

Kubo and the Two Strings was bloody amazing y'all.

It certainly was amazing. Stunning, not dumbed down for kids, and fairly moving at times as well. It was a bit scary for my 7 year old daughter, but she liked it quite a bit as well. Watching previews for Monster Trucks, Storks and the Wild Life beforehand helped to solidify just how special it is for a children's movie to not appeal to the lowest common denominator.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
It certainly was amazing. Stunning, not dumbed down for kids, and fairly moving at times as well. It was a bit scary for my 7 year old daughter, but she liked it quite a bit as well. Watching previews for Monster Trucks, Storks and the Wild Life beforehand helped to solidify just how special it is for a children's movie to not appeal to the lowest common denominator.

The trailer for Monster Trucks played before Finding Dory, I turned to my friend midway through it and said "if this movie is called Monster Truck, I'm going to leave". The plural saved me, but good god, what trash.

Kubo was awesome, and it made me re-watch Paranorman, which is awesome also. Maybe my favorite part of Laika stuff, though, is the mini- behind the scenes things that they do in the end credits.

So jealous of all you guys who have seen Kubo. Really can't wait to see it. Is anyone a fan of the cartoon saloon studios stuff, secret of kells/song of the sea? Those are some great genuinely all ages movies too, not dumbed down at all, really beautiful, very folklorey. Those are a big hit with us too.

kmfdmpig

So jealous of all you guys who have seen Kubo. Really can't wait to see it. Is anyone a fan of the cartoon saloon studios stuff, secret of kells/song of the sea? Those are some great genuinely all ages movies too, not dumbed down at all, really beautiful, very folklorey. Those are a big hit with us too.

Yes. My daughter likes those as well. I have only caught bits and pieces, and hope to watch them in full soon.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Spider-Verse is pretty fun so far.
Why haven I read this earlier?
Cant get my hand around that awful Peter/Cindy fuckery around. Its super akwards and kinda cruel while Anna is around.

Mitch

Banned
I've been away from comics for a few months, so decided to drop by my LCS.

Took my girlfriend with me and she was immediately drawn to I Hate Fairyland. I was about to buy the $1 Image Firsts copy for her, but she ended up getting volume 1. She also wants to start reading WicDiv, which pleases me greatly.

Definitely going to pick up All-Star Batman and Snotgirl every month. Excited for Seven To Eternity next month. Anything else I should keep a lookout for?

Top Bottom