• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Spider-Cyborg is best Spider-Man so far

image.php

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I've been away from comics for a few months, so decided to drop by my LCS.

Took my girlfriend with me and she was immediately drawn to I Hate Fairyland. I was about to buy the $1 Image Firsts copy for her, but she ended up getting volume 1. She also wants to start reading WicDiv, which pleases me greatly.

Definitely going to pick up All-Star Batman and Snotgirl every month. Excited for Seven To Eternity next month. Anything else I should keep a lookout for?

As in new stuff? Here are the new Image titles I'll be checking out over the next couple of months......

September
Surgeon X by Kenney and Watkiss
Glitterbomb by Zubb and Morissette-Phan

October
Moonshine by Azzarello and Risso

Also Paper Girls, Birthright, and I Hate Fairyland were all excellent choices.

TheFlow

Banned
I've been away from comics for a few months, so decided to drop by my LCS.

Took my girlfriend with me and she was immediately drawn to I Hate Fairyland. I was about to buy the $1 Image Firsts copy for her, but she ended up getting volume 1. She also wants to start reading WicDiv, which pleases me greatly.

Definitely going to pick up All-Star Batman and Snotgirl every month. Excited for Seven To Eternity next month. Anything else I should keep a lookout for?
Good shit. Do you have doom patrol preordered? I am in interested in the peel cover

Man, the Deus Ex: Mankind Divided preload went up today. Between the game and all the pre-order bonus content, it was about 45GB of stuff to download.

Man, people saying nice things about Valiant and Lunchpod isn't here to see it.

Thinking of buying all 8 issues of Vescell digital. I have the floppies, but I want to read it again. Roc Upchurch is my favorite scumbag in the business.

VanWinkle

I'm so over single issues. Although, to be fair, I was never into it much anyway. But I tried a little bit with Rebirth and I just don't like reading ~20 pages of story at a time.

I'm so over single issues. Although, to be fair, I was never into it much anyway. But I tried a little bit with Rebirth and I just don't like reading ~20 pages of story at a time.

Understandable. Trades make more sense, but a lot of us are impatient for that next bit of story. Only reason why single issues still survive.

Mitch

Banned
Good shit. Do you have doom patrol preordered? I am in interested in the peel cover
Haven't really looked into it. I'll definitely give it a shot. Going back to my LCS on Wednesday to get my subscription list set up, so I'll put it on there.

24 pages for $2.99! It's a steal.
Comics are stupid expensive.

Luckily, they're my only real hobby. I watch baseball on TV which runs me $80 per year. We spend a lot of time outdoors hiking which is almost always free. Gaming is dead for me...haven't played a single game in over a month.

Comics are eternal. I trade wait everything Marvel with MU because I read almost everything they put out and that would cost a fortune.

Man, the Deus Ex: Mankind Divided preload went up today. Between the game and all the pre-order bonus content, it was about 45GB of stuff to download.

That's brutal man, makes me thankful for my external hdd. Game got posted yesterday morning so I'll have it tomorrow, so psyched for it, hoping it'll keep me busy until mid September game-wise.

No idea when they're out but my doc I use to keep track of comics says I want kill or be killed, motorcrush, isola, black cloud and royal city from image whenever they hit trade. I think only.kne of them has even begun though haha.

Also, I don't think I've bought a floppy issue since 2006. And damn does my bookcase look good for it.

Mitch

Banned
Leaning more towards this mindset these days.

I can stick with a couple monthly pickups, or randomly grabbing several $1 issues here and there. My major purchases are typically TPBs or hardcovers.

Outside of frequent Comixology sales, are trades even savings when you're 100% digital? Obviously buying from IST is massive savings, but I don't buy physical books. I'll take a look, but I always imagined trades on Comixology were basically the same cost, maybe saving a buck or two.

Sandfox

Outside of frequent Comixology sales, are trades even savings when you're 100% digital? Obviously buying from IST is massive savings, but I don't buy physical books. I'll take a look, but I always imagined trades on Comixology were basically the same cost, maybe saving a buck or two.
Companies other than Image give you a dollar or so off.

Companies other than Image give you a dollar or so off.

Then it's not worth the wait for me. I suppose it adds up over time but a dollar is whatever compared to a six month delay. I'll stick with my dozen or so monthlies and keep hitting up those frequent $1 Comixology sales.

For people buying physical books, the savings always favors trade waiting. 40-50% off as a baseline is crazy.

That's brutal man, makes me thankful for my external hdd. Game got posted yesterday morning so I'll have it tomorrow, so psyched for it, hoping it'll keep me busy until mid September game-wise.

It wasn't terrible, but I couldn't really play No Man's Sky or Overwatch since they both use the internet connection and that would just throttle the download speed. I just had to put the PS4 in rest mode and let it do its thing.

DC sells their digital trades at less than cover price. Usually 35% off or so

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
just read Uncanny Avengers #1

i can't wait til Acuña gets on art. also, what do i need to know before starting this?

-read (and loved) Uncanny X-Force but i forgot most of it in retrospect

-i know this is post AvX

Mitch

Banned
If I had a tablet, I'd probably go digital aside from hardcovers.

Physical collections are great, but right now I don't have much space.

You think that will include the $2.99 Rebirth stuff? Would be a viable option for a few of the titles that are decent but would read better in trade format.
I don't see why it wouldn't when it comes out. DC on CMX pricing is $1 off after 2 months from release. DC trades use Amazon pricing and is less than the cover price. And they go to $1.99 at some time I haven't figured out (unless they're back catalog comics and those start $1.99)

Marvel seems to wait a while (6 months or so) before going on sale but even that is wildly inconsistent.

Valiant goes a $1 off after a month.

All other like image, etc go to $1.99 after a month even if they start as $3.99 comics.

I don't think Marvel does. They only seem to drop their books under list price during sales. Otherwise I'd be stocking up on a lot more Marvel back-issues than I do.
It used to be when the trades would come out. Now they're getting even worse. They're digital pricing is absurd for newer comics. W/o Mu my marvel intake would be very low

Sandfox

I don't see why it wouldn't when it comes out. DC on CMX pricing is $1 off after 2 months from release. DC trades use Amazon pricing and is less than the cover price. And they go to $1.99 at some time I haven't figured out (unless they're back catalog comics and those start $1.99)

Marvel seems to wait a while (6 months or so) before going on sale but even that is wildly inconsistent.

Valiant goes a $1 off after a month.

All other like image, etc go to $1.99 after a month even if they start as $3.99 comics.

DC isn't dropping prices anymore as of Rebirth according to the Comixology twitter.

I don't think Marvel does. They only seem to drop their books under list price during sales. Otherwise I'd be stocking up on a lot more Marvel back-issues than I do.
They do, but their wait time before doing so is longer.

TheFlow

Banned
Haven't really looked into it. I'll definitely give it a shot. Going back to my LCS on Wednesday to get my subscription list set up, so I'll put it on there.
That is wassup!

Also for those physical owners I know dcbs does preorders for new issues at a lower price than retail.

Sandfox

Considerably longer, since they don't have even one issue of Venom: Space Knight discounted yet. They wait until books get canned, then the discounts begin.
Marvel waits more than a year and then discount by volume. The explanation I've seen is that sales like the ones they have on Mondays do better than permanent drops.

Mitch

Banned
That is wassup!

Also for those physical owners I know dcbs does preorders for new issues at a lower price than retail.
Thanks for the heads up.

I really like supporting my local shop, so my single issue purchases will more times than not be through them. Typically always get TPBs and HCs through IST.

Marvel waits more than a year and then discount by volume. The explanation I've seen is that sales like the ones they have on Mondays do better than permanent drops.

Ha. That's certainly not how it works on my end. I'm not paying $4 per back issue, so I just end up forgetting about it. If they dropped the old books to $2, I'd have scooped up the entire run of Venom: Space Knight, but now they get nothing.

Sandfox

Ha. That's certainly not how it works on my end. I'm not paying $4 per back issue, so I just end up forgetting about it. If they dropped the old books to $2, I'd have scooped up the entire run of Venom: Space Knight, but now they get nothing.

And then they put a $1 Venom/ANAD sale on the front page before the Marvel Now book starts lol.

TheFlow

Banned
Thanks for the heads up.

I really like supporting my local shop, so my single issue purchases will more times than not be through them. Typically always get TPBs and HCs through IST.
Ah I gotcha. If DC/image books came with a scratch off cmx code I would buy them up.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
24 pages for $2.99! It's a steal.
Comics are stupid expensive.

Luckily, they're my only real hobby. I watch baseball on TV which runs me $80 per year. We spend a lot of time outdoors hiking which is almost always free. Gaming is dead for me...haven't played a single game in over a month.

Comics are eternal.

Are we twins? Substitute running for hiking, though.

If I had a tablet, I'd probably go digital aside from hardcovers.

Physical collections are great, but right now I don't have much space.

Space is what drove me to digital. Space becomes a premium when you're married and have a kid. Even more so in my case where I move every 2-3 years. Lugging my massive comic collection became untenable, whereas Comixology is always an arm's reach away.

Brings up a question. I'm seeing Kindle/Comixology prices below what's on the Comixology website, which is bizarre since it's the same ownership. I've linked my accounts prior. Can I just, ummmmm, buy the trades on Amazon and have them show up in the CMX app? What's the catch?

Are we twins? Substitute running for hiking, though.

Brother??? My wife is the runner. I do it because I have to for work, but never have enjoyed it.

Space is what drove me to digital. Space becomes a premium when you're married and have a kid. Even more so in my case where I move every 2-3 years. Lugging my massive comic collection became untenable, whereas Comixology is always an arm's reach away.

Brings up a question. I'm seeing Kindle/Comixology prices below what's on the Comixology website, which is bizarre since it's the same ownership. I've linked my accounts prior. Can I just, ummmmm, buy the trades on Amazon and have them show up in the CMX app? What's the catch?

Brother??? My wife is the runner. I do it because I have to for work, but never have enjoyed it.
I haven't linked yet but my understanding is it should work like you described

From their FAQ
http://support.comixology.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2214592-why-should-i-merge-my-amazon-and-comixology-accounts-

Top Bottom