• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Man Flash's rogues' gallery would be way more fucking intimidating if he wasn't so damn OP. I mean, they're so well built for him. There's a few outliers, but most of them have powers suitable to hard counter speedsters.

-Captain Cold slows down kinetic energy, which the Speed Force effectively is the manifestation of.
-Mirror Master can manipulate light via his mirrors, as well as having access to alternate mirror dimensions
-The Top can counter forward movement via his spinning and can also move at high speeds
-The Turtle has tech that slows shit down
-Boomerang has unconventionally moving projectiles which make them difficult to dodge

Weather Wizard and Trickster are also outliers in the sense that they're not hard counters, but they have their uses, like Weather Wizard controlling fundamental forces of nature and Trickster being unpredictable. Grodd is just a super smart, telepathic gorilla and Abra Kadabra is a magician, thus making them unconventional, but still threats. Heatwave is the only one that kinda doesn't seem like he can do anything useful. He's got a pretty powerful flamethrower. I haven't read enough Flash to know, I suppose.

Oh, and then you have the other speedsters: Savitar uses Speed Force. Thawne has Negative Speed Force, which is like an anti-Speed Force Speed Force. Then Zoloman, who alters time in order to move faster.

Like, solid villains, but damn is Flash OP.

Man Flash's rogues' gallery would be way more fucking intimidating if he wasn't so damn OP. I mean, they're so well built for him. There's a few outliers, but most of them have powers suitable to hard counter speedsters.

Like, solid villains, but damn is Flash OP.

Flash and his Rogues are basically:
tumblr_inline_ni6io6pwlL1qdvnvk.jpg

They are just working a 9-5 for Central City's benefit.

Flash and his Rogues are basically:

They are just working a 9-5 for Central City's benefit.

That's really the bummer. Even Superman has a gallery that feels pretty strong in their own ways compared to him. Brainiac, Lex Luthor, Bizarro, Hank Henshaw, Mr. Mxyzptlk, Eradicator, Doomsday, Metallo. Parasite can drain his powers, Volcana packs a punch, and Livewire is living electricity. In the DCAU, Toyman is insanely OP. And I'm not sure if Darkseid and Mongul count as primarily Superman villains or general DC villains, but they certainly are threatening.

VanWinkle

X-Statix Omnibus finished. Truly fantastic start to finish. The Dead Girl miniseries at the end was a delight and a nice send-off as well, even if it was "technically" a Dr. Strange story.

Thinking I might read the Orion by Simonson Omnibus now.

TheFlow

Banned
X-Statix Omnibus finished. Truly fantastic start to finish. The Dead Girl miniseries at the end was a delight and a nice send-off as well, even if it was "technically" a Dr. Strange story.

Thinking I might read the Orion by Simonson Omnibus now.

one of us one of us one of us

Malyse

I don't know why
(actually I absolutely know why, it was in an old advert I saw)
but I'm really interested in a Hearthstone/MTG Duels of the Planeswalkers style game with the VS. System.

Okay, done with Ivar Timewalker. Enjoyed it very much. Brilliant book, which I never expected out of Valiant, honestly.

Is X-O worth reading? More to the point, is #47 actually an okay jumping-on point like they claim?

Sandfox

Okay, done with Ivar Timewalker. Enjoyed it very much. Brilliant book, which I never expected out of Valiant, honestly.

Is X-O worth reading? More to the point, is #47 actually an okay jumping-on point like they claim?

I've read it up to #14 and like it. #47 seems like a weird jumping on point seeing as how it ends at #50, but apparently it is lol.

It's ok. If you haven't read it yet you must read Archer & Armstrong. It came before Ivar but they're related in story and also tone

it is decent. Harbinger is better imo
True. It's a really good Xmen book

Sou Da

Thought I was the only one. Love fighting games but I have no love for KoF or NetherRealm games.
I don't like NRS games at all but I find myself defending them because people have a tendency to hate on the very idea of a Western made fighting game. Really I'm defending KI I think.

VanWinkle

Drew a little sketch of my boy Hal Jordan. I can never manage to make myself go past the insanely sketchy sketch phase, lol. I just don't have a passion for it. I'm seeing now that the proportions are off, as I was just staring at the GL omni vol 2 cover and trying to draw it without really paying enough attention to the proportions.

ZRJzBfK.jpg

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Superman is pretty great. I hear that Action Comics isn't so much. Harley Quinn didn't do much for me, but people that liked the book before the renumbering seem to like it still.

How are New Superman and Harley Quinn? New Superman especially looks interesting. Also, how's King's Batman and the new Flintstones reboot?

New Superman has been enjoyable so far. Harley is pretty much the same as the book has always been under Conner and Palmiotti. If you like the slapstick comedy, then you'll get more of the same. Tom King's Batman was alright, but I only read the first few issues. And Flintstones is better than it has any right to be, really. Easily my favorite of the Hanna-Barbera reboots.

TheFlow

Banned
New Superman has been enjoyable so far. Harley is pretty much the same as the book has always been under Conner and Palmiotti. If you like the slapstick comedy, then you'll get more of the same. Tom King's Batman was alright, but I only read the first few issues. And Flintstones is better than it has any right to be, really. Easily my favorite of the Hanna-Barbera reboots.

pretty much sums this up.

Drew a little sketch of my boy Hal Jordan. I can never manage to make myself go past the insanely sketchy sketch phase, lol. I just don't have a passion for it. I'm seeing now that the proportions are off, as I was just staring at the GL omni vol 2 cover and trying to draw it without really paying enough attention to the proportions.

ZRJzBfK.jpg

This is not too shabby my friend! the face looks good. Shame you don't have much passion for it. I bet you could surprise yourself with how much you can improve in a short period of time.

shingi70

Banned
Yeah, outside of the muscle it's questionable what role Ben fills. I like to think he's the heart of the team. Keeps them human, which is ironic considering he's the only one who can't pass as human.

That's my take and it's why he's my favorite favorite member of the team. All the other members would have went onto great things before the accident, however Ben feels the most like your Average Joe.

I know some other posters have been, giving their thoughts on the books so I'll join in as soon as I'm done with this slog of five Thor books the order has compounded together for some reason.

VanWinkle

This is not too shabby my friend! the face looks good. Shame you don't have much passion for it. I bet you could surprise yourself with how much you can improve in a short period of time.

Thanks man. This is the first drawing I've done since I posted that Batman and Red Robin one around November of last year, lol.

JgsmCQ1.jpg

Top Bottom