• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Boogiepop

I have finished reading Bleach... I would not recommend reading Bleach.

So yeah, think I'll aim for some guaranteed greatness and read the TMNT/Batman hardcover I just got in today in order to wash the taste of that out of my mouth.

Umm...

BATMAN #1 DIRECTOR’S CUT

Written by TOM KING
Art and cover by DAVID FINCH

The most hilarious part is how ridiculously misleading the synopsis is.

But how does Batman confront a new hero who wants to save the city from the Dark Knight?

By...not doing that because that never happens in the run. At no point in King's mediocre as fuck Batman is anyone attempting to save the city from him.

$5.99 for 22 pages, or double what you originally paid. In fairness, this issue still has the only interesting sequence in the series, so they could probably charge the combined price of every other book and be justified. But it's Batman so we all continue to buy it.

EXTREME Justice looks totally radical, dude! You can't tote a 'tude after reading something so righteous! I'm stoked to buy those books, bro!

WTF is Copra, though?

Do you like the idea of Suicide Squad but want to read a good comic*? That's COPRA and it's great.

*Excluding Ostrander's run

Sounds great. But I might be buying up some of that hot Blue Beetle action. Who can know anything these days?

I am wiser than this man; it is likely that neither of us knows anything worthwhile, but he thinks he knows something when he does not, whereas when I do not know, neither do I think I know; so I am likely to be wiser than he to this small extent, that I do not think I know when I do not know.

So how does this Bicho Azul business work? The Comixology sale arrangement has me confused.

Would this work?

Justice League --> International --> 2006 --> 2011? Or just 2006 --> 2011?

What the hell is Formerly and where does it fit in? Should I start with the 2006 and New 52 stuff? I'm scared to #YOLO everything when I don't even know the character. He looks like DC's the Tick.

OK Poodle

I'm gonna give you a chance here

What's the good stuff

JLI is good, but what you really want (imo) is the '06 run. One of my all-time favorite comics. Pitch perfect teen superhero hijinks.

So how does this Bicho Azul business work? The Comixology sale arrangement has me confused.

Would this work?

What the hell is Formerly and where does it fit in? Should I start with the 2006 and New 52 stuff? I'm scared to #YOLO everything when I don't even know the character. He looks like DC's the Tick.

Okay, so, it's a bit weird, because the JL Beetle is an entirely different person with only a really tangential connection to Jaime Reyes. Don't bother with the 2011 stuff, it's... less than great. Especially in comparison to the '06 run. New 52 was not kind to Jaime.

Oh, and Formerly Known as the JL is good, but it's also sorta contingent on you having read and enjoyed the JLI series, which are much more neatly collected in trades. I don't think I could even tell you which of the issues on sale are the right ones, lol.

Would this work?

So keep in mind the sales has the Ted kord blue beetle (everything JL, JLI, etc) and Reyes modern BB (2006+). Formerly was a later mini what brought back the ol JLI crew for more adventures

So in reality it's at least two separate threads. I'd wait a bit for poodle to show up for new Beatle recommendations.

The classic Giffen JL/JLI team books were great fun.

One thing that I'm not sure of at all is how much if any role the New 52 material will play in the Rebirth book. Jaime's getting a little bit of an origin tweak, and his supporting cast seems to be going back to '06 status quo (based Giffen), so it might be none. Not sure yet.

JLI is good, but what you really want (imo) is the '06 run. One of my all-time favorite comics. Pitch perfect teen superhero hijinks.

Okay, so, it's a bit weird, because the JL Beetle is an entirely different person with only a really tangential connection to Jaime Reyes. Don't bother with the 2011 stuff, it's... less than great. Especially in comparison to the '06 run. New 52 was not kind to Jaime.

Oh, and Formerly Known as the JL is good, but it's also sorta contingent on you having read and enjoyed the JLI series, which are much more neatly collected in trades. I don't think I could even tell you which of the issues on sale are the right ones, lol.

Safest bet just to buy the 2006 run then? Mainly care to read up on the guy wearing the suit in Rebirth. Straight no to New 52?

So keep in mind the sales has the Ted kord blue beetle (everything JL, JLI, etc) and Reyes modern BB (2006+). Formerly was a later mini what brought back the ol JLI crew for more adventures

So in reality it's at least two separate threads. I'd wait a bit for poodle to show up for new Beatle recommendations.

The classic Giffen JL/JLI team books were great fun.

Got it. Aiming for the modern stuff then.

Safest bet just to buy the 2006 run then? Mainly care to read up on the guy wearing the suit in Rebirth. Straight no to New 52?

The id do 2006.

And a good rule of thumb. If you see a DC book written from Bedard it's best to avoid. One of the blandest writers that kept getting work. Beatty is another one from the same era that I lump in the same category.

The Manipul of their time if you will

Like I said just before you posted, I'm not totally clear on whether or not Giffen is bothering with N52 Jaime in any detail. 06 definitely seems to be setting the tonal foundation, and assuming he does a good job summarizing any N52 continuity he does want to use (safe bet, knowing Giffen's style), the reboot material is solidly skippable.

The id do 2006.

And a good rule of thumb. If you see a DC book written from Bedard it's best to avoid. One of the blandest writers that kept getting work. Beatty is another one from the same era that I lump in the same category.

Rumor has it Bedard actually got screwed on that one. I've heard the artist was actually ghostwriting the book; the interviews I read made it sound like Bedard had a much better grasp on the character than what we got, so I can believe it.

The id do 2006.

The Manipul of their time if you will

Like I said just before you posted, I'm not totally clear on whether or not Giffen is bothering with N52 Jaime in any detail. 06 definitely seems to be setting the tonal foundation, and assuming he does a good job summarizing any N52 continuity he does want to use (safe bet, knowing Giffen's style), the reboot material is solidly skippable.

Thanks, guys. 2006 it is. I might also pick up the six-part Blue and Gold issues from Booster Gold's book.

WicDiv #22 was a crazy end to the face punchingest arc of the series yet.

This issue was pretty great. Satisfying, too. For once. Looking forward to the one-shot next month as well. Looks kind of steampunky.

Is Copra an ongoing? Are there arcs or is it one big thing?

Is it a comic?

It's a comic, sure. The first three trades are out. I think the creator was selling the book through etsy or some shit before.

Guilty as charged. Might be time for a comeback. I've compiled everything so far and think I'll eventually do a full thread. Say when I hit issue #100 or so. I love me some DD.

I've only read some Silver Age stuff, mostly Avengers and FF, plus some Spidey, but Daredevil seems like it's less about superheroing and more about just batshit insane shenanigans.

Dalek

SUSQ-6-0f37b.jpg

HIT 'EM WITH THE HEINNNNNNNNNN!!!

That showcase in the solicits look cool:
NEW TALENT SHOWCASE #1
Written by VITA AYALA, EMMA BEEBY, JOELLE JONES, HENA KHAN, MICHAL MCMILLIAN, MICHAEL MORECI, ERICA SCHULTZ, CHRIS SEBELA and ADAM SMITH
Art by BARNABY BAGENDA, JUAN FERREYRA, SONNY LIEW, DAVID MESSINA, KHARY RANDOLPH and more
Cover by KLAUS JANSON
In this new one-shot, Wonder Woman unleashes her true god of war against a parade of monsters! Superman discovers a new threat that might be bigger and badder than the joker himself! Hawkgirl solves crimes in the weird weapons unit for the GCPD! Carol Ferris and Kyle Rayner fight about ice cream in space! You’ll find all of this and so much more in NEW TALENT SHOWCASE #1, where recent graduate writers from the inaugural DC Talent Development workshop showcase some of their strongest work yet! See what they’ve learned from masters of the craft Scott Snyder, Jim Lee and Klaus Janson.
ONE-SHOT • On sale NOVEMBER 30 • 80 pg, FC, $7.99 US • RATED T

ElNarez

Banned
That is a solid fucking lineup of artists, and it's cool that it's being assembled for what's presumably first-time DC writers.

That showcase in the solicits look cool:
WAAAAAIT HAWKGIRL'S FINALLY APPEARING IN THE MAIN EARTH (I don't count Hawkwoman's appearance in Savage Hawkman aha)? YAAAAAS.

What the ever living fuck is she wearing?

tumblr_mggz7aJr1e1rvxt8co1_250.gif

Also mess @ WW's stance. Gotta squat when she can I guess lmao.

---

I blazed through Earth 2 World's End a few hours ago, but that was because I wanted it to be over as soon as possible. I miss the days when it was only Hawkgirl, Flash, Green Lantern and Doctor Fate as the main group of protagonists...

Marella and Lois Lane as Red Tornado would have been good recruits down the line too, if the book was given time to breathe. <.<

I also hated how Barda was written in this.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
i read Aaron's Thor 1-12 but really want to check out Jane Thor (and not crazy about Roxxon being the big bad here)

any harm in skipping to lady Thor?

I'd say read the last arc cus it's extremely good and a lot of what happens there leads into Lady Thor.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
19-25

I'd say skip 12-18, that arc has pretty generic art and the story isn't interesting. Last arc brings back Esad Ribic and has a great story.

great, thanks

I was wondering where Messi was. My favorite person from ComicsGAF. Did a great job welcoming me to the group. My name was Servbot at the time, so I doubt anyone remembers me from March/April.

don't be so modest, i remember you servbot

Really loving East of West (just finished issue 17) but man...

The white pages with the short blurbs overstayed their welcome 15 issues ago. It's feels so damn try hard in a comic that absolutely doesn't need it.

I hope I've posted in these monthly threads long enough for people to easily identify me as the Hawkgirl/Big Barda/Wonder Woman/Storm stan. Lol.

giphy.gif

Malyse

I just finished Batgirl Vol 1 and I have to say that DC's crossovers are a hot mess. Like, there is nothing more frustrating than 'Story continues in Nightwing and then Robin and then Detective comics". It wouldn't be so bad if it hadn't happened over and over again. Like, FFS DC. On the one hand, it's cool to get a story week by week, but on the other, it's a total nightmare after the fact.

Cassandra Cain da best, thou.

Top Bottom