• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

No, that's right man, I haven't read any of these yet, not even the rebirth issues, trades don't kick off til January but I was giving it some thought this morn. Birds Of Prey is definitely not for certain, I just liked the art on that one so I was keeping an eye on reviews (I don't believe the writers have any other work to check up on?). To be honest, the only books that are 100% lock are Gotham Academy, All Star Batman annnnd probably Wonder Woman. Feeling quite flexible otherwise, I have the ones that I listed in mind, but I could as easily save the money for some different books.

What didn't you like about Batgirl? Big fan of Albuquerque off AmVamp and I kind of thought Hope Larson had got some good reviews with some of her other stuff

Superman, I have saw a lot of good reviews and I liked Tomasi & Gleason on B&R at the beginning of the new 52, I was just a never big superfamily follower.

Birds of Prey has been bad. Batgirl is okay so far, but feels like an inconsequential "what if" arc to the point that she is already showing up in other books and referencing her book in past tense. It's whatever. For the record, Albuquerque is up there with Fiona Staples as my favorite, but this isn't the Albuquerque you think you're getting. Someone in comics GAF said they felt he was phoning it in. True words.

I don't read Gotham Academy, so no idea what that will be like. I've pulled everything else Rebirth up to now and it ranges from awful to great, but skews heavily towards the mediocre. Detective Comics, Green Arrow, and Nightwing are the stand outs. Half of Wonder Woman is good, half is painful. Superman is good. Batman and the Flash are safe, mediocre books. Action Comics, Aquaman, Deathstroke, Justice League, and Titans are all bad. Anything involving Lanterns isn't good, doubly so for the duo. Then you have Harley and Suicide Squad which are both straight gutter trash.

DC Rebirth: It's Whatever.

Blue Beetle is here, and it is goooood. Basically feels exactly like the '06 run, though obviously some stuff is different (Ted has a very different mentoring style to Peacekeeper, for one) but it's got Paco and Brenda bickering and the Reyes family acting like a family and La Dama is back so I'm happy. Looks like Giffen is ignoring the bits of N52 canon he doesn't like, so I'm happy on that front. Only real complaint is that the issue doesn't spend any effort at all to lay down the status quo; it's nothing like its solicit. Very strange. But Giffen is writing well again, so I don't mind.

Just read Pax Americana in the Multiversity Deluxe Edition.

Then I read it again. Still trying to wrap my head around it...

God, I love Morrison's work.

Ah gotcha.

DC Rebirth: It's Whatever.

Thanks for the responses guys, I generally keep my budget for traditional superhero comics quite tight, so it's never easy to figure out what to go with. I usually just lean on creators I already know from their own work but thought I might branch out with Rebirth a little more. Maybe not though...haha. If I just stuck with creators I already enjoy elsewhere, I'd just be left with the three I mentioned beforehand and be done with it.

Sad to hear that Albuquerque's art is off, I really like his American Vamp stuff, perfectly suited for the subject matter though.

I don't know how many people are fans in here, but I will say that I really really enjoy Gotham Academy, which is ironically not a rebirth book. By far my favourite DC ongoing, really good fun, good humour and a nice tone shift within the bat books, I'd recommend checking it out. Can't wait for Motorcrush and Isola.

shingi70

Banned
X-Men #3: So even early on in the X-Men history Cyclops already has a bit of a complex. Also what the crap, at Xaviar being in love with Jean. She's a teeNger and he's like 50.

X-Men #3: So even early on in the X-Men history Cyclops already has a bit of a complex. Also what the crap, at Xaviar being in love with Jean. She's a teeNger and he's like 50.

Have you read X-Men: Season One? It's a really good book that recontextualizes that story and makes it way less creepy. It's from Jean's POV and has some fantastic Jamie McKelvie art.

Ross61

Thanks for the responses guys, I generally keep my budget for traditional superhero comics quite tight, so it's never easy to figure out what to go with. I usually just lean on creators I already know from their own work but thought I might branch out with Rebirth a little more. Maybe not though...haha. If I just stuck with creators I already enjoy elsewhere, I'd just be left with the three I mentioned beforehand and be done with it.

Sad to hear that Albuquerque's art is off, I really like his American Vamp stuff, perfectly suited for the subject matter though.

I don't know how many people are fans in here, but I will say that I really really enjoy Gotham Academy, which is ironically not a rebirth book. By far my favourite DC ongoing, really good fun, good humour and a nice tone shift within the bat books, I'd recommend checking it out. Can't wait for Motorcrush and Isola.
From what I can see, these new books resonate with people differently. If I can suggest, just try what interest you. I'm really liking Deathstroke, Flash, and Batman despite some of Gaf's lukewarm reaction.

I've mostly figured out Pax Americana (Multiversity) but I'm still struggling with a couple bits:

Why was Nora killed? Was it to prevent Allen from coming back?

Actually, now that I ask those questions, I have to question how much I understand it...

From what I can see, these new books resonate with people differently. If I can suggest, just try what interest you. I'm really liking Deathstroke, Flash, and Batman despite some of Gaf's lukewarm reaction.

Definitely, still got until January for the trades to start dropping anyway, will see what everyone feels and how reviews are over the next few months. General interests with DC tend to start at the bat books, branch out towards the *dark* stuff if they're supporting anything like that when I'm looking, Swamp Thing, Constantine etc. I'll probably end up taking the bullet and buying a few volume 1's I'll hate and I'll live. Just wanted to get a feel for what everyone is thinking. Wish we had a what is your overall pull thread to reference, sometimes I wish I had that info for context.

EDIT: Knowing DC and Marvel these days, by the time rebirth trades drop, half the books will probably be cancelled and a new line-up tagline will have been announced haha.

ElNarez

Banned
I've mostly figured out Pax Americana (Multiversity) but I'm still struggling with a couple bits:

Why was Nora killed? Was it to prevent Allen from coming back?

Actually, now that I ask those questions, I have to question how much I understand it...

She was the one figuring out Algorithm 8, which is to say why everything happened the way it did.

TheFlow

Banned
Definitely, still got until January for the trades to start dropping anyway, will see what everyone feels and how reviews are over the next few months. General interests with DC tend to start at the bat books, branch out towards the *dark* stuff if they're supporting anything like that when I'm looking, Swamp Thing, Constantine etc. I'll probably end up taking the bullet and buying a few volume 1's I'll hate and I'll live. Just wanted to get a feel for what everyone is thinking. Wish we had a what is your overall pull thread to reference, sometimes I wish I had that info for context.

EDIT: Knowing DC and Marvel these days, by the time rebirth trades drop, half the books will probably be cancelled and a new line-up tagline will have been announced haha.
More like cross overs and events for boths. a lot of DC books are moving at a faster pace so January will be the third/fourth arc for most

MG310

ComicsAlliance opinion piece: "Why Hasn’t There Been An ‘Avengers Academy’ Comic Adaptation Yet?"

My opinion? I'd rather they do a animated series even if Marvel aren't good at them nowadays.

Tynion is going to show us just how hard he loves Tim Drake.

I'd be into a series...mostly because I want that Madame Hydra design to appear in more things.

tumblr_o787e5y3kM1vo9lqho3_1280.png

More like cross overs and events for boths. a lot of DC books are moving at a faster pace so January will be the third/fourth arc for most

Haha, crossovers and events as well. I said my last comment with tongue firmly placed in cheek, we all know how it goes with the big two these days, it's not a major judgement or anything. DC aren't quite so trigger happy (although the DCYou didn't last long). Marvel's yearly events do tend to lead to a line-up *shake-up* though.

JTripper

Has any X-Men title been worth reading since the last volume of Bendis All-New and Uncanny ended? I was becoming disappointed by those by the end and dropped my X titles. Are the new volumes worth picking up in trade?

She was the one figuring out Algorithm 8, which is to say why everything happened the way it did.

Right. She figured out the way to predict the future. But that doesn't seem like reason enough to murder her, unless murdering her prevents Atom from resurrecting the president. Which is the conclusion I've come to given that the VP seems to be the antagonist of the story.

Maybe I should finish the rest of Multiversity and/or sleep on it.

But Pax Americana is right now a strong contender for my favorite Morrison work. It's so damn good and I can't stop thinking about it.

Morrison and Quietly are the best combo.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Has any X-Men title been worth reading since the last volume of Bendis All-New and Uncanny ended? I was becoming disappointed by those by the end and dropped my X titles. Are the new volumes worth picking up in trade?

The Bunn run of Uncanny is awful. Went freakin' nowhere. I read the first five issues of Extraordinary and it seemed good. Lemire writes it, so at least there's that. No clue about All New.

Got the TMNT/Batman hardcover. Feels like a super good deal at like 11 bucks.

I don't get TMNT IDW collection 3 until next week though.

I kind of feel like I should wait until after that to read the batman one. I don't think there is connection or anything, but reading closer to publishing order just seems better. Or am I just being OCD?

ElNarez

Banned
Right. She figured out the way to predict the future. But that doesn't seem like reason enough to murder her, unless murdering her prevents Atom from resurrecting the president. Which is the conclusion I've come to given that the VP seems to be the antagonist of the story.

But Pax Americana is right now a strong contender for my favorite Morrison work. It's so damn good and I can't stop thinking about it.

Murdering her prevents the whole plan from going public.

Fabok Batman:
Snyder tease:
Corny as fuck, but I love it
Doesn't IvX take place in the 8 months before All-New, All Different Marvel started? Or is that Death of X?
DoX is explaining what happened in the 8 months, but it'll also take place in the present. DoX will lead into IvX, which will be entirely in the present
I'm just waiting for them to announce I+X and AvI
AvX 2: I
The Bunn run of Uncanny is awful. Went freakin' nowhere. I read the first five issues of Extraordinary and it seemed good. Lemire writes it, so at least there's that. No clue about All New.
Bunn is still writing Uncanny. He's also writing the X-Men Civil War 2 mini
Currently, Uncanny and All-New are not good. Extraordinary started a little choppy, but has gotten pretty good. I really like it alot. X-Men '92 has been good solid fun

tim1138

Now read it backwards. :D

Whether Algorithm 8 would actually work or not honestly isn't even that important, what is important is that Harley and by extension Eden believed it would work. Nora's death is Steel doing Eden's dirty work for him to take pieces of the board and ensure that Harley dies and Eden assumes the presidency. Eden has no use for mystery men, so he eliminates them by whatever means he can and removes the Pax.

You kinda should be reading those right now... :) Okay, you can probably trade wait on Birds, but the others are good.

Nah I read everything by trade man, I don't trade wait as a judgement on how exciting the books sound! I watch all but one of my favourite tv shows by boxset when those come out too, and the exception is only because of fear for spoilers haha.

Why have floppies when you can have a nice shelf of books :)

Plus, I am not that patient.

This is the worst part haha I never get to take part in the buzz when you guys are discussing the books monthly, even with my favourite writers. If the different publishers did a marvel unlimited type thing that was up to date with retail release, I think I'd be tempted to do digital first then trade buy my absolute favourites oppose to trade buying everything. I really have no use or space for actual physical floppies though. Plus I buy my kid singles, I like there's a clear distinction between what is his and what is mine haha

Nah I read everything by trade man, I don't trade wait as a judgement on how exciting the books sound! I watch all but one of my favourite tv shows by boxset when those come out too, and the exception is only because of fear for spoilers haha.

Why have floppies when you can have a nice shelf of books :)

Yup, after buying my first trades, I decided to never go back to floppies.
If I'm a huge fan, sure the wait sucks, but that's even more reason to want the superior copy. And whatever format I start work is what i stick with, so i wait for tmnt hardcovers for instance.

all new is some backwards ass comics

"let's got a fresh writer, young characs, and the oldest living comics artist on record"

book sucks shit

I don't have much experience with him, but I'm pretty much going to avoid him from now on due to Uncanny.
I haven't really read much by him, but his Sinestro run is supposed to be really good. Plus he has some other books that have gotten a good amount of praise, though I can't recall the names. He seems to be a very hit-or-miss writer. In this case, he missed.

And whatever format I start work is what i stick with, so i wait for tmnt hardcovers for instance.

Haha I hate crossing streams. Those bprd hardcover annoy me since I have all the other mignola books in soft, but at the time I had just got to hellboy volume 6 and there were like 13 volumes of bprd and I wanted to catch up before hell on earth began, it was the cheapest way there, but would like to replace them eventually. Plus they are super unwieldy to hold.

I haven't really read much by him, but his Sinestro run is supposed to be really good. Plus he has some other books that have gotten a good amount of praise, though I can't recall the names. He seems to be a very hit-or-miss writer. In this case, he missed.

Really not a fan of his work for hire stuff, but I like the sixth gun a good amount. Nice fun book. In fact, u will say, the sixth gun is probably the best fcbd thing i ever picked up, the whole first issue. I like the look of harrow county too. I wouldn't consider him at same level as writers I really get behind, but he's a good normal writer type thing. I wouldn't go for his dc or marvels books though.

shingi70

Banned
Have you read X-Men: Season One? It's a really good book that recontextualizes that story and makes it way less creepy. It's from Jean's POV and has some fantastic Jamie McKelvie art.

Hmm, I'll give it a shot.

So far my favorite three titles are Spider-man, Fantastic Four, and the Doctor Strange features. Everything else has been decent to good, expect Human Torch.

If anyone here who got a 30% off CMX code isn't going to use it I'd gladly take it since it seems that some won't get one. My pay check is going to be delayed so any costs I can minimize will be done.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Today's comic pickups:

Batgirl Rebirth #2 and Titans Rebirth #2.

I guess my wallet will appreciate the break.

I just reached
the Oppenhiemer civil war
in The Manhattan Projects. This book is total madness.

Top Bottom