• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
With the November solicitations being out for Marvel, one of the variant covers for Champions #2 may give us a hint as to how Richard Rider may look upon his return (which, barring a few minor changes, may not be much different from his Annihilation design).

CHAMP2016002-ChoiVar-13d20.jpg

I'd love to see that entire team get wiped out.

Started Wytches tonight. I'm about an issue and half in and so far the story is fairly interesting. I could without all the transparent paint splotches in Jocks art though

It's cool, I liked the first volume, it felt like he was stretching the same muscles as Severed, I imagine this is the kind of thing he might have done if he'd went on to be a novelist. Very King-y.

Thinking when the rebirth trades come along, I'm gonna go with:

Batman, All-Star Batman, Detective Comics, Nightwing, Batgirl/maybe & the birds of prey, Gotham Academy, Wonder Woman & the young animal books.

Got probably the same number again on the bubble of I want to but I'm more suspicious of them, with Superman & Supergirl closest to making the jump over. Anyone think I'm missing anything obvious? I was thinking about Green Arrow but I read the dialogue is reaaally hammy?

Thinking when the rebirth trades come along, I'm gonna go with:

Batman, All-Star Batman, Detective Comics, Nightwing, Batgirl/maybe & the birds of prey, Gotham Academy, Wonder Woman & the young animal books.

Got probably the same number again on the bubble of I want to but I'm more suspicious of them, with Superman & Supergirl closest to making the jump over. Anyone think I'm missing anything obvious? I was thinking about Green Arrow but I read the dialogue is reaaally hammy?

Just to clarify, you haven't read any of the series yet, yea?

I'd personally drop Batgirl/Birds of Prey/Batman for Superman and Green Arrow.

Green Arrow is decent, nothing special but I found it more enjoyable the the three I listed. The writing is definitely not that good and it's fairly run of the mill.

Superman is actually one of the best Rebirth titles. That and WW are the only reason I haven't dropped DC post Rebirth.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Just to clarify, you haven't reaf any of the series yet, yea?

Green Arrow is decent, nothing special but I found it more enjoyable the the three I listed. The writing is definitely not that good and it's fairly run of the mill.

Superman is actually one of the best Rebirth titles. That and WW are the only reason I haven't dropped DC post Rebirth.

That is quite the sales pitch.

That is quite the sales pitch.

Haha, I mean, I dropped it personally because I found it mediocre.

However, I've seen others enjoy it so I didn't want to write it off entirely.

And really, Green Arrow, despite being mediocre and run of the mill, is still one of the better Rebirth books.

Rebirth has been fairly disappointing, and nothing quite has hooked me like the one-shot did.

I'm down to like 3-4 DC books and might drop 1-2 more.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Haha, I mean, I dropped it personally because I found it mediocre.

However, I've seen others enjoy it so I didn't want to write it off entirely.

And really, Green Arrow, despite being mediocre and run of the mill, is still one of the better Rebirth books.

Rebirth has been fairly disappointing, and nothing quite has hooked me like the one-shot did.

I'm down to like 3-4 DC books and might drop 1-2 more.

I dropped all mine last October.

Caught up to East of West.

Really enjoyable series and I love how straightforward Hickman can present his story despite all the surrounding stuff being anything but. However, the "stylistic" choice with the white pages and the over-reliance on Destiny sounding names for stuff holds it back a bit.

The art's also a hit and miss. The locales and environments look great along with generally anything that isn't expressing emotion. But human faces and the emotions they express are just... ugly. Looking at a face and seeing eyes looking in different directions... way too common.

Now the agonizing wait each month. Next issue is shaping up to be a great one.

Just to clarify, you haven't read any of the series yet, yea?

No, that's right man, I haven't read any of these yet, not even the rebirth issues, trades don't kick off til January but I was giving it some thought this morn. Birds Of Prey is definitely not for certain, I just liked the art on that one so I was keeping an eye on reviews (I don't believe the writers have any other work to check up on?). To be honest, the only books that are 100% lock are Gotham Academy, All Star Batman annnnd probably Wonder Woman. Feeling quite flexible otherwise, I have the ones that I listed in mind, but I could as easily save the money for some different books.

What didn't you like about Batgirl? Big fan of Albuquerque off AmVamp and I kind of thought Hope Larson had got some good reviews with some of her other stuff

Superman, I have saw a lot of good reviews and I liked Tomasi & Gleason on B&R at the beginning of the new 52, I was just a never big superfamily follower.

No, that's right man, I haven't read any of these yet, not even the rebirth issues, trades don't kick off til January but I was giving it some thought this morn. Birds Of Prey is definitely not for certain, I just liked the art on that one so I was keeping an eye on reviews (I don't believe the writers have any other work to check up on?). To be honest, the only books that are 100% lock are Gotham Academy, All Star Batman annnnd probably Wonder Woman. Feeling quite flexible otherwise, I have the ones that I listed in mind, but I could as easily save the money for some different books.

What didn't you like about Batgirl? Big fan of Albuquerque off AmVamp and I kind of thought Hope Larson had got some good reviews with some of her other stuff

Superman, I have saw a lot of good reviews and I liked Tomasi & Gleason on B&R at the beginning of the new 52, I was just a never big superfamily follower.

Ah gotcha.

I've been out of the DC Universe since the beginning of New 52, so most of my impressions are from a perspective of being familiar with the characters but not much more then that and I certainly tend to be lost if references to pre-Rebirth material gets thrown around.

With that said, Batgirl felt like a continuation of a pre-Rebirth book and had me a bit confused. It didn't really establish much in the way of why I should be caring for any of the supporting cast (or what they were doing) or even much of what was going on. There wasn't a lot going on and it felt like I had picked up an issue between arcs rather then a #1.

Skottie Young the prophet.

I think Young is spying on all the Marvel decision makers. He also had that Hulk/Hawkeye cover for Civil War.

You don't cook a comic, you burn it.

Awesome! I love his work.

I don't tweet very often, but I really had to do this:

please let me know if that sounds disrespectful... it just means a lot to me to have cooler brown people in comics.

Nah, nothing wrong with that tweet.

Mindwipe

Do the people who got this CMX 30% discount code have Amazon joined accounts or something? What does it say it's for on the email?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
started Uncanny Avengers, Vol 2 - The Apocalypse Twins

Issue #1 was cool, great use of Jranborn-era Thor. Can't wait to see where the next 3 volumes go!

Xis

Do the people who got this CMX 30% discount code have Amazon joined accounts or something? What does it say it's for on the email?

I have an Amazon-linked CMX account; the email says:
"Get 30% off your next purchase of $15 or more!"
It expires August 31st, and can't be used on pre-orders, bundles, or titles released after August 23rd.

Probably going to use mine to get some Valiant trades..

Those bat knuckle blades look like a reject from Azrael's Batman costume.

That was the first thing that popped into my head as well (TBF, I'm reading KnightQuest right now).

Top Bottom