• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

tim1138

Today's comic pickups:

Batgirl Rebirth #2 and Titans Rebirth #2.

I guess my wallet will appreciate the break.

I just reached
the Oppenhiemer civil war
in The Manhattan Projects. This book is total madness.

That was probably my favorite arc in Manhattan Projects, it's so completely insane.

Snotgirl #2:

HPUfp8a.gif

Bonus gif:

pYqLYt0.gif

Lottie coughs out a loogie in this issue, and it was the most beautiful thing ever.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I cant believe that I got that JLA Deluxes for that cheap. Mind baffled.

To bad that my car went broken today and I didnt saved any money in total :(

Aceun

I've decided to drop Titans and Deathstroke. These books are just not good to me. Unfortunately, this relegates my DC list to everything Superman Family and the one Wonder Woman book. Maybe I should dabble in some Blue Beetle.

By the way, the surprise book in all the Superman books is New Super-Man. I wasn't even going to pick it up, but man do I love Kenan Kong as a character.

shingi70

Banned
About to do some Pull list culling and drop some of the rebirth stuff that's just meh, going to end up going half and half with DC again.

I've decided to drop Titans and Deathstroke. These books are just not good to me. Unfortunately, this relegates my DC list to everything Superman Family and the one Wonder Woman book. Maybe I should dabble in some Blue Beetle.

By the way, the surprise book in all the Superman books is New Super-Man. I wasn't even going to pick it up, but man do I love Kenan Kong as a character.

Yeah New Super-Man is one of my favorite books from any publisher right now.

I haven't read this week's Deathstroke yet but I'm inclined to give Priest a lot of time to make the book work. But then I liked the Rebirth special more than most. I thought it was decent.

I dropped Titans myself, I'll just read summaries before the main event

Malyse

Today's comic pickups:

Batgirl Rebirth #2 and Titans Rebirth #2.

I guess my wallet will appreciate the break.

I just reached
the Oppenhiemer civil war
in The Manhattan Projects. This book is total madness.

I'm really hoping the bolded is a mistype and that there isn't a Batgirl #2 and a Batgirl Rebirth #2. DC books are already confusing enough as is.
Marvel has to many redheads
False premise. There's no such thing as too many redheads.
Better red than dead.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking about that last page of Mighty Thor #10,
it pretty much has to be Loki, right?

I'd say so.
I'm glad that he's not done the complete heel turn, though. I've never been big on Aaron's Loki because he seemed to ignore all of the stuff that happened in JiM and Young Avengers.

ASSASSINS CREED: AWAKENING #1 (OF 6)
Writer: Yano Takashi
Artist: Oiwa Kenji

Jump back into the world of Edward Kenway, lead character of the best-selling fan favorite game, Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag, in this beautiful manga adaptation. Return to the Golden Age of Pirates once more and relive the adventures of the brilliant young captain!

Black Flag manga adaptation haha. I might have to see this.

Do we even need to do titan comics solicit alerts?

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really hoping the bolded is a mistype and that there isn't a Batgirl #2 and a Batgirl Rebirth #2. DC books are already confusing enough as is.

It's got the Rebirth branded logo. Is it just call Batgirl? I though all were Rebirth if it was branded that way. Sorry for any confusion.

Aw man, I'm so disappointed by Blue Beetle Rebirth. I really wanted to like this book but I didn't. At all.

The portrayal of Ted seemed way, way off to me, from the way he is drawn to his general dickishness, both during the big fight and when Jamie is trying to get answers about his scarab. He has this carefree attitude throughout that just makes him come across like a huge tool. Even Spider-Man gets serious when innocent lives are in danger. But not Ted Kord, who gleefully yells
"Beetle wings! I love it! Whoo!"
as numerous bystanders barely escape with their lives. And he could not give less of a fuck about Jamie's concerns.

Maybe he's an evil robot?

The art kinda wavers between a light, cartoony style and a more serious bog standard DC style. I prefer the former and would hope that it would lean more that way as the book goes on, if I were to continue with it (which I'm not). The art for Blue Beetle all suited up is one of the strongest points of the book. But there are other problems here...for instance, there are entire pages where the dialogue completely falls flat, in particular
the conversation between Dr. Fate and Ted
. These characters don't even seem to actually be talking to each other at times. The dialogue between Jamie and Ted throughout the big fight is extremely weak as well, relying too heavily on a single point of contention and repeating it over and over again. There are also two pages almost entirely occupied by an argument between side characters over whether "God bless you" is actually a bad thing to say, which I guess is one way to introduce a new reader to these characters.

A shame, I really thought this was going to be a top Rebirth title for me, but it's off the list in one.

VanWinkle

Nah I read everything by trade man, I don't trade wait as a judgement on how exciting the books sound! I watch all but one of my favourite tv shows by boxset when those come out too, and the exception is only because of fear for spoilers haha.

Why have floppies when you can have a nice shelf of books :)

Nice. I love physical comic collections. I have been building up a pretty nice little collection since June 2015.

I'm going to get a Frank Cho sketch at NYCC.

Make sure it's one of his outrage covers.

Speaking of cool Marvel books starring female characters that came out last week, can we talk about this cameo in last week's Mockingbird?

I still need to buy it. I forgot to buy it with last week's books and never got around to picking it up.

:D

Van Lente is incredible, and Ivar is possibly my favorite thing he's written.

The fact I read a Valiant book just made Lunchpod's day.

Nice. I love physical comic collections. I have been building up a pretty nice little collection since June 2015.

Hey hit us with the pics if you've got any handy man, I love to see people's collections :) I've got another 3 rows like that, nothing fancy, just on a big ikea book shelf, but it makes me happy haha

Aw man, I'm so disappointed by Blue Beetle Rebirth. I really wanted to like this book but I didn't. At all.

The portrayal of Ted seemed way, way off to me, from the way he is drawn to his general dickishness, both during the big fight and when Jamie is trying to get answers about his scarab. He has this carefree attitude throughout that just makes him come across like a huge tool. Even Spider-Man gets serious when innocent lives are in danger. But not Ted Kord, who gleefully yells
as numerous bystanders barely escape with their lives. And he could not give less of a fuck about Jamie's concerns.

The art kinda wavers between a light, cartoony style and a more serious bog standard DC style. I prefer the former and would hope that it would lean more that way as the book goes on, if I were to continue with it (which I'm not). The art for Blue Beetle all suited up is one of the strongest points of the book. But there are other problems here...for instance, there are entire pages where the dialogue completely falls flat, in particular
. These characters don't even seem to actually be talking to each other at times. The dialogue between Jamie and Ted throughout the big fight is extremely weak as well, relying too heavily on a single point of contention and repeating it over and over again. There are also two pages almost entirely occupied by an argument between side characters over whether "God bless you" is actually a bad thing to say, which I guess is one way to introduce a new reader to these characters.

A shame, I really thought this was going to be a top Rebirth title for me, but it's off the list in one.

You nuts yo

Ted is a little cocky, but keep in mind he's not a hero (yet) in this, he's a tech-savvy playboy with dreams of grandeur. Like Batman without the backbone. Feels in line with Giffen's portrayals in general, tbh.

The dialogue and banter was one of the strongest aspects of the book. The two-page argument you're complaining about is basically exactly what I was hoping for- Brenda and Paco getting into some Seinfeldian nonsense debate. All of it very well written.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Going to read it later

Not excited now :(

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Squirrel Girl and Hellcat both coming out on the same day has officially made me Mr. Happy Guy.

I love SG so much, and the fill in art was great.

And Jubilee is a great addition to Hellcat. Though I didn't realize that she's still both
a) a teenager and b) a vampire.

frye

Yeah New Super-Man is one of my favorite books from any publisher right now.

I haven't read this week's Deathstroke yet but I'm inclined to give Priest a lot of time to make the book work. But then I liked the Rebirth special more than most. I thought it was decent.

I dropped Titans myself, I'll just read summaries before the main event

"decent" is a good description but i think at the end of the day there's only so much i can care about fucking Deathstroke, y'know?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
The former is surprising.
Aren't the rest of Generation X adults now? Husk was a teacher for awhile in Wolverine & the X-Men.

I think it might be new
to go with the teens struggling with powers thing they've got going on with the temp agency. I feel like she'd previously been older. Maybe they're saying that because she's a vampire now, she's 17 forever?

Aceun

That's fair. If it wasn't Christopher Priest I probably wouldn't have even tried it.

Same. If I at least cared about Deathstroke, I'd give it more of the benefit of the doubt because I really like Priest.

He also tends to incorporate a lot of Hausa (which is the language I speak) in his BP work and now in Deathstroke. Still, the story and the character are just uninteresting to me.

is a different comic than

DC is confusing.

Nono, its simple, in the first one Babs is trying to throw her weight around but in the 2nd, huntress is pimping in the foreground while babs has been sent to the serpent corner to hang her head in shame and Canary sings the victory song. You have to look at comics sequentially duh.

This is how it works right

Top Bottom