• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

come on son

y'all think i haven't been reading new books every wednesday since fucking Fall of the Mutants?

don't step to me like i don't know comics before 2013 or you're getting bells RUNG

Who hasn't been an Avenger? I can't think of a more meaningless distinction for a Marvel character.

Also, him being an Avenger might have a little bit to do with the writer of that Avengers book being the person who's been writing the main Deadpool ongoing since 2012.

Who hasn't been an Avenger? I can't think of a more meaningless distinction for a Marvel character.

Also, him being an Avenger might have a little bit to do with the writer of that Avengers book being the person who's been writing the main Deadpool ongoing since 2012.

so he just happened to get that gig and then they just happened to put deadpool on the avengers

not, "deadpool should be an avenger, let's get his writer to write that book"

Co3zPjcVMAAy1De.jpg

Slapping a snack intended for you out of your mother's hands as she brings it to you is never okay. Even less if it's a plate of chicken nuggets.

THE NUGGETS DESERVED NOTHING.

I think an argument could be made that Deadpool, while he has had a solid fanbase since the '90s, did not start catching on in the mainstream until the late '00s. In the early '00s Marvel didn't really seem to know what to do with him, at one point replacing him with Simone's Agent X and at another pairing him with Cable (probably the more popular character at the time) for a reasonably fun series that didn't fully exploit what made Deadpool a good character. When he showed up in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (2006), he definitely started to catch on. A few years later he had his own book again, under Daniel Way, and while that series was of questionable quality at best, it did seem to cement Deadpool in his current position as one of the most prominent and popular characters in Marvel's line. His appearance in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (2011) was heavily anticipated by non-readers, so something clearly changed over the course of the preceding years.

So yeah, I'm not going to do a bunch of heavy research here but I do agree with Brian: Deadpool had well-established popularity pre-2012. Frankly, if he didn't, the movie never would have happened. By the end of 2012 the famous test footage had already been created, and they never would have bothered if there wasn't already a segment of the moviegoing public who were chomping at the bit for a real Deadpool movie that was faithful to the character.

I think an argument could be made that Deadpool, while he has had a solid fanbase since the '90s, did not start catching on in the mainstream until the late '00s. In the early '00s Marvel didn't really seem to know what to do with him, at one point replacing him with Simone's Agent X and at another pairing him with Cable (probably the more popular character at the time) for a reasonably fun series that didn't fully exploit what made Deadpool a good character. When he showed up in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (2006), he definitely started to catch on. A few years later he had his own book again, under Daniel Way, and while that series was of questionable quality at best, it did seem to cement Deadpool in his current position as one of the most prominent and popular characters in Marvel's line. His appearance in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (2011) was heavily anticipated by non-readers, so something clearly changed over the course of the preceding years.

So yeah, I'm not going to do a bunch of heavy research here but I do agree with Brian: Deadpool had well-established popularity pre-2012. Frankly, if he didn't, the movie never would have happened. By the end of 2012 the famous test footage had already been created, and they never would have bothered if there wasn't already a segment of the moviegoing public who were chomping at the bit for a real Deadpool movie that was faithful to the character.

I still think that Harley's unprecedented sales popularity (which WAS unprecedented) had some hand in pushing Deadpool to a more prominent role in the MU as the closest thing (at the time) that Marvel had to a fourth wall breaking ne-er do well with a heart of gold.

Will we ever know for sure? Of course not. But for some reason, SOME PEOPLE (#Subtweeting) have to convince me that I'm wrong or give up trying.

Owzers

WTF were they thinking with that

Christ

I know, they forget to say all lives matter, like these augs deserve special attention.

I'm seriously thinking about buying loot boxes and this makes me angry. It should have never come to this Blizzard, this is why i don't buy video games and just rent them.

TheFlow

Banned
Every Dc thread always turns into a

Marvel vs Dc debate. yet I never see one of those niggas in ANAD, Rebirth, or Comic-gaf threads.

I still think that Harley's unprecedented sales popularity (which WAS unprecedented) had some hand in pushing Deadpool to a more prominent role in the MU as the closest thing (at the time) that Marvel had to a fourth wall breaking ne-er do well with a heart of gold.

Will we ever know for sure? Of course not. But for some reason, SOME PEOPLE (#Subtweeting) have to convince me that I'm wrong or give up trying.
Don't mind me, I just came back in the thread to see if I left my car keys in here.

Oh hey, what's this under the couch?

That's weird. How did that get there?

So excited for it. Human Revolution was one of my favourite games from last gen. Bar the boss fights.

Game Informer had a big preview article on it. Lots of new features, and they left the ending of the previous game ambiguous, so whichever ending you got can slide right in there.

that came out in 2013 and it sucked
The game was announced in 2012, and came out in June 2013. Harley Quinn's reinvention started with Harley Quinn #0 in November 2013.

The quality of the game is irrelevant. It existed because of the popularity of the character.

Every Dc thread always turns into a

Marvel vs Dc debate. yet I never see one of those niggas in ANAD, Rebirth, or Comic-gaf threads.
It's part of the reason why I want a list with the top selling comic in each country every month. So many see the movies but never the comics that I want to know how the sales look like in countries outside the US.

Game Informer had a big preview aeticle on it. Lots of new features, and they left the ending of the previous game ambiguous, so whichever ending you got can slide right in there.

I've actually been avoiding most of the articles and videos, but that's good to hear. At least they didn't do the Metro thing where you make a choice in the first game and it's ignored in the second.

Vic_Viper

as soon as someone of note wants to write an X book things will pick up again. They are just in a lull atm and they aren't going to just stop producing the books. When Marvel stops doing the same Mutants on the verge of extinction stories they will do so much better. The stakes always have to be so high that there's nowhere left for them to go. Just hurry up with the stupid terrigen mist stuff.

The reason Remender's Uncanny X-Force was received so well is because it was a fresh take on the book that people hadn't seen in awhile. would be nice to see someone come in and try something new with them instead of just keeping them around for the sake of towing the line.

Top Bottom