• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
God damn

Co4X-4mW8AA8Ibe

Hahaha

I love this

come on son

y'all think i haven't been reading new books every wednesday since fucking Fall of the Mutants?

don't step to me like i don't know comics before 2013 or you're getting bells RUNG

I believe you've read every comic ever and they're all a minimum 9.5/10 and simply amazing.

Deadpool's popularity far predates modern day Harley Quinn, and her character directly riffs off him.

ElNarez

Banned
if the Conner/Palmiotti/Hardin Harley Quinn run is responsible for the rise of one character, it's super not Dead"Staple of the X-Men line for a while, consistent high seller going back to the Way run, which, why? and also, little thing, got his own goddamn movie"pool.

Squirrel Girl, however? Howard? All those comedy books starring B-List properties? That's what you should be looking at. Deadpool made Deadpool.

if the Conner/Palmiotti/Hardin Harley Quinn run is responsible for the rise of one character, it's super not Dead"Staple of the X-Men line for a while, consistent high seller going back to the Way run, which, why? and also, little thing, got his own goddamn movie"pool.

Squirrel Girl, however? Howard? All those comedy books starring B-List properties? That's what you should be looking at. Deadpool made Deadpool.

Yeah, I think this is accurate.

Don't forget to give credit to the New 52 for Harley taking off. If that line hadn't been so terrible and uniformly serious and intense, Harley wouldn't have seemed so refreshing by contrast. She owes her heightened success to DC creating a mess that facilitated a hunger for an alternative.

I'm not even sure that's accurate. We've had John Byrne Sensational She-Hulk in the 90s, Giffen Ambush Bug...hell Howard the Duck is from the 70s

I'm not even sure that's accurate. We've had John Byrne Sensational She-Hulk in the 90s, Giffen Ambush Bug...hell Howard the Duck is from the 70s
Right, but then that stuff went away for a long time and this is a separate wave of popularity/demand for those kinds of books.

ElNarez

Banned

Yeah, but there has been a resurgence in comedy books over the last couple of years, and while you could pin it on Deadpool, it did kick into high gear after Harley Quinn.

Don't forget to give credit to the New 52 for Harley taking off. If that line hadn't been so terrible and uniformly serious and intense, Harley wouldn't have seemed so refreshing by contrast. She owes her heightened success to DC creating a mess that facilitated a hunger for an alternative.

Nah. It's the right people (Conner and Palmiotti had a track record of super fun action-comedy books) at the right time (a dramatic increase in women buying comics, coupled with the coming of age of the people who grew up with the characters since the TAS days), with the right character (The work that had been done previously to make Harley stand out on her own goes back to at least Kesel and the Dodsons in 2000).

Harley was always gonna blow up, the pieces were there, they just needed to be put together.

Nah. It's the right people (Conner and Palmiotti had a track record of super fun action-comedy books) at the right time (a dramatic increase in women buying comics, coupled with the coming of age of the people who grew up with the characters since the TAS days), with the right character (The work that had been done previously to make Harley stand out on her own goes back to at least Kesel and the Dodsons in 2000).

Harley was always gonna blow up, the pieces were there, they just needed to be put together.
I didn't say it wouldn't have been a success, I said the success was heightened. And it totally was. DC fans had been starving for anything even remotely lighthearted for two full years. How can that not play a part?

Finished first volume of Walt Simonson's Thor. Started out strong with Beta Ray Bill's story, been going slow since then, little actual Thor action. Fafnir stuff is cool but starting to pick up again with Maelkith sucking some dude's life force out by turning into a woman :p.

Didn't realize it's a recolor but the art is still gorgeous. Wish they had a classic Thor funko for my desk at work, all they have is mcu thor which sucks without the cap.

Sucks about the suicide squad reviews, still going to see it for Captain Boomerang. Chris Evan gif's are quickly ascending to "Cake is a lie" level.

Arkanius

Batman GAF (Already asked in the June thread by mistake):

About to press the Buy on these books:

Batman Noir: The Darknight Returns
Batman Noir: The Long Halloween
Batman Noir: Hush

First time reader of these stories, and these books look marvelous in Black & White. Should I do it?

P.S I haven't read Manga in years but I was a huge manga reader back in my teenage years.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

First time reader of these stories, and these books look marvelous in Black & White. Should I do it?

P.S I haven't read Manga in years but I was a huge manga reader back in my teenage years.

Definitely yes to The Long Halloween. Haven't read the other two myself though.

I absolutely adore Hush, though it seems mostly played for fan service. I still really enjoy every bit of it. It's "World's Greatest Detective," Batman, which is personally my favorite. Probably why I liked what little I've read of Grant/Breyfogle Batman and why I enjoy B:TAS so much.

EDIT: Yeah also Hush should be in color. I can't imagine that in B&W.

The day I meet Remender and tell him about ComicGAF I had better not catch any of you embarrassing me in front of him or I will disassociate myself from this community. I will not go down with this ship.

Pretty sure Rick Remender has me blocked

also Mark Waid when I dragged him for that Strange Fruit comic, with his old white ass

JTripper

They're among the best and most acclaimed Batman stories. I've never seen any of the Batman stories in black and white but Hush in black and white is probably gorgeous. I don't care much for the art of DKR anyway, but I personally think the dark tone and muted colors of Long Halloween enhance it immensely; it probably looks great in black and white too since it's one of the most "noir" Batman stories. You probably can't go wrong either way, so enjoy!

VanWinkle

I'm really bummed about Suicide Squad. I have been worried about it for a long time and for a long time people were telling me not to be concerned and that it will 100% be great. I wanted it to be great SO bad.

Still looking forward to watching it, though.

I'm always a little hesitant to recommend reading the black and white version as your FIRST read. But the stories will still be great and the art will still shine.

Arkanius

Definitely yes to The Long Halloween. Haven't read the other two myself though.

I absolutely adore Hush, though it seems mostly played for fan service. I still really enjoy every bit of it. It's "World's Greatest Detective," Batman, which is personally my favorite. Probably why I liked what little I've read of Grant/Breyfogle Batman and why I enjoy B:TAS so much.

EDIT: Yeah also Hush should be in color. I can't imagine that in B&W.

They're among the best and most acclaimed Batman stories. I've never seen any of the Batman stories in black and white but Hush in black and white is probably gorgeous. I don't care much for the art of DKR anyway, but I personally think the dark tone and muted colors of Long Halloween enhance it immensely, but it probably looks great in black and white too since it's one of the most "noir" Batman stories. You probably can't go wrong either way, so enjoy!

I'm really bummed about Suicide Squad. I have been worried about it for a long time and for a long time people were telling me not to be concerned and that it will 100% be great. I wanted it to be great SO bad.

Still looking forward to watching it, though.

I'm always a little hesitant to recommend reading the black and white version as your FIRST read. But the stories will still be great and the art will still shine.

Some shots of the books in B&W. Hush seems the one that gets translated to BW the best.
Honestly? I think it all looks fantastic as heck. I might sound biased though. Love the line works.

Hush

The Dark Knight

The Long Halloween

Dark Knight Returns minus Varley is truly abominable and a crime against humanity tbh

I was about to type the same thing tbh

like bro I dont wanna live in the world where you get to that page when the general shot himself and the big american flag doesn't jump out at you

Sandfox

How is this book? It looked kinda cool and I imagine you like it but it being a Civil War tie-in turned me off
It's good and I'm enjoying it, but I don't really know how to would sell it lol. The ongoing will probably start immediately after the mini ends though.

How is this book? It looked kinda cool and I imagine you like it but it being a Civil War tie-in turned me off

The writing is stellar and explores the themes of Civil War II in a way no other book really can. The art is...different, might want to look at a couple previews to see if it's something you can tolerate.

It's still a tie-in so you have to find the basic plot of CWII at least a little appealing to want to see it further explored, but I do think this one could be enjoyed without paying much attention to the main event.

Sandfox

Happy Birthday!

Happy 30th young pup.

30? Pfff so young

Well it looks like this thread skews too old for me.

The writing is stellar and explores the themes of Civil War II in a way no other book really can. The art is...different, might want to look at a couple previews to see if it's something you can tolerate.

It's still a tie-in so you have to find the basic plot of CWII at least a little appealing to want to see it further explored, but I do think this one could be enjoyed without paying much attention to the main event.

I like the art for the kind of book this is, but I'm also glad that the ongoing will have a different artist.

I'd only get The Long Halloween in B&W. Hush and The Darknight Returns look better in color, imo.

Top Bottom