• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

tim1138

Haha aw shucks man, you'll make me blush with that talk! Haha I really liked it but it just makes me think of unknown, and any time I reread unknown, I want more! I would love for him to image and do that but his own thing and just go all the way. He does really extensive research first though and I don't think he's been anywhere this year, so nothing in the pipeline.

Yea, Steve Orlando has a bit of buzz about him, he did the underwater image book right, undertow I think it's name was? Had some really amazing euro type art. Need to have a look in at midnight er, only on the windup about omega men, it's had some rousing recommendations lately so I'm gonna get on there.

I don't think Dysart is doing anything but Valiant stuff right now. I have to imagine that writing stuff like Unknown Soldier and Living Level 3 is incredibly draining, especially with all the research he does.

Orlando did do Undertow, which is actually the only book of his I haven't read. He's my favorite writer right now, everything he's done is fantastic.

Omega Men was amazing, you really cannot go wrong with that book at all. It also has the benefit of the entire series being collected in one trade.

How could someone not like Detective Comics!?

Gotta make room for all those Young Animal books!

He pretty much hates Batman/Bruce Wayne.

This is mostly true but not entirely. I like Morrison Batman and weird Silver Age Batman, but that's mostly it.

Sandfox

I have never been that big on the comic version of Bruce. I like all of the Robins and Batgirls more except Damian, who I didn't like in the books I've read with him in them.

I don't think Dysart is doing anything but Valiant stuff right now. I have to imagine that writing stuff like Unknown Soldier and Living Level 3 is incredibly draining, especially with all the research he does.

Orlando did do Undertow, which is actually the only book of his I haven't read. He's my favorite writer right now, everything he's done is fantastic.

Omega Men was amazing, you really cannot go wrong with that book at all. It also has the benefit of the entire series being collected in one trade.

Gotta make room for all those Young Animal books!

All of this is being duly noted haha you liked supergirl rebirth then, yay/nay? That's where I was planning on jumping in with Orlando.

Ah fuck, don't i know it man, Dysart is honestly one of the most real writers around but it's miserable stuff, you gotta respect him for putting himself out there and actually doing it before he'll write about it. I remember back when we were chatting about this stuff, had some people like la mignon saying thanks but no thanks, just couldn't stomach it. Put that in mind then the fact he actually goes to these places :(

Yea yea I was actually looking at the vision trade too, but thought hang that for awhile and do omega men first since its the whole thing. The art looks really cool too, don't recognise the dude but it looks real good

Gonna go in on all those Young Animal books to start off with too, fingers crossed. I never read doom patrol before, but if Way can put out something the quality of umbrella academy, he's got my attention.

Gonna go in on all those Young Animal books to start off with too, fingers crossed. I never read doom patrol before, but if Way can put out something the quality of umbrella academy, he's got my attention.
Yo really? You gotta check it out man. Doom Patrol is the best. Umbrella Academy is basically a love letter to the series so I'm pretty confident the new one's gonna be good stuff. Plus, Mignola's a Doom Patrol fan too IIRC... Can't go wrong with that!

I'm getting all the Young Animal stuff. Besides Doom Patrol I'm most excited for Shade. Whole line looks rad.
I honestly just block Jason and to a lesser extent modern Barbara out.

lol fair enough. Damian is my favorite Robin easily either way. I like Dick a lot, but more as a grown up (Dickbats is the best). Jason is the only Batfamily member I don't like (well, not really a fan of Harper either). Everyone else is cool.

Master of Kung Fu (Special Marvel Edition #15) has gotten me super hyped for the rest of the omnibus. Good action, creative panel usage for scene transitions and the perfect balance of narration and dialogue to recreate the 70s Kung Fu movie feel.

Malyse

Tim was never Robin so I don't get what you're talking about lol.

That's been unretconned. He was Robin.

People talking about not liking Jason and Harpee but tolerate that waste of space Tim Drake

You wot m8?

-----

I was upset that they waiting so long on Runaways when Chloe Moretz would have been a perfect Molly Hayes, but Millie Brown basically *is* Molly Hayes.

MV5BMTk4OTg4NDcyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzY0OTYyODE@._V1_UY1200_CR85,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

latest

Fucking do it, Hulu

Yo really? You gotta check it out man. Doom Patrol is the best. Umbrella Academy is basically a love letter to the series so I'm pretty confident the new one's gonna be good stuff. Plus, Mignola's a Doom Patrol fan too IIRC... Can't go wrong with that!

I'm getting all the Young Animal stuff. Besides Doom Patrol I'm most excited for Shade. Whole line looks rad.

Haha, no word of a lie, not one line of Doom Patrol had been read by these eyes man. Like I was saying yesterday, its few and far between now where there's a significant run of a book i still want to read but haven't, but Doom Patrol is there. I literally have no idea what it's about or anything, just that its red hot. I LOVE Umbrella Academy though, I really really enjoyed those two books. And Mignola, well, yea haha less painting Mike, more writing!

Here's the million dollar question though, can I kick things off with this Way run of Doom Patrol and come back later or will it be like missing the main event and then nothing makes sense? I have no idea what kind of clean cut this will be. Shade for sure, the whole thing just looking inspired. It's almost a shame they couldn't have gave Vertigo a shot ni the arm with these but as it is, I don't blame em too much.

Sandfox

One day the Martial Arts craze will resurge and Shang Chi will be popular again.

That's been unretconned. He was Robin.

You wot m8?

-----

I was upset that they waiting so long on Runaways when Chloe Moretz would have been a perfect Molly Hayes, but Millie Brown basically *is* Molly Hayes.

Fucking do it, Hulu
When did that happen?

Malyse

When did that happen?

With the continuity changes after the DC Comics relaunch, it had been suggested in the Teen Titans series that Tim Drake never took up the Robin mantle officially, but rather was Batman's sidekick under the name Red Robin; however, this is contradicted by various issues, as well as stories by Scott Snyder (Batman series) and Peter J. Tomasi (Batman & Robin series), all of which make references to Tim Drake's time as Robin.

I suppose it's more accurate to say DC doesn't have its continuity all sorted yet.

Deathstroke was dope. The scene with him and his family reminded me of Married... with Children for some reason.

I'm still liking Green Lanterns. It's funny whenever Jessica works herself up to make a construct and then fails spectacularly. It would be even better if eventually she gets booted from the Green Lanterns because she really is just shit and it chose her by accident. She needs to be a part of the Sinestro Corps, she could solo the Justice League with her scary ass.

And I'm glad Baz and her got their asses kicked because I was about to call bullshit that two rookie lanterns were able to beat a whole Red Lantern squad themselves. When they didn't get stomped immediately it started worrying me.

Sandfox

I suppose it's more accurate to say DC doesn't have its continuity all sorted yet.

I doubt they care.

Deathstroke was dope. The scene with him and his family reminded me of Married... with Children for some reason.

I'm still liking Green Lanterns. It's funny whenever Jessica works herself up to make a construct and then fails spectacularly. It would be even better if eventually she gets booted from the Green Lanterns because she really is just shit and it chose her by accident. She needs to be a part of the Sinestro Corps, she could solo the Justice League with her scary ass.

And I'm glad Baz and her got their asses kicked because I was about to call bullshit that two rookie lanterns were able to beat a whole Red Lantern squad themselves. When they didn't get stomped immediately it started worrying me.
Fortunately we all know she has anxiety issues to explain it lol.

People talking about not liking Jason and Harpee but tolerate that waste of space Tim Drake
According to Chuck Dixon's Robin, he's the best Robin. He took out the Joker and protected Gotham by himself.

Last I checked it was better than Jason fared. Oh, and Tim also took down a top class assassin and Anarky in his first couple months.

My exposure to Harper is limited to the first volume of Batman Eternal, but I wasn't fond of her. She came off as a "better than all of you" character and I wasn't fond of it.

VanWinkle

Man, 52 is such a good series. 19 issues in. I LOVE how consistent the art is. Having Giffen always do the breakdowns and having the same colorist throughout was a brilliant idea. You could pretty easily assume that it has the same artist through all 52 issues.

shingi70

Banned
According to Chuck Dixon's Robin, he's the best Robin. He took out the Joker and protected Gotham by himself.

Last I checked it was better than Jason fared. Oh, and Tim also took down a top class assassin and Anarky in his first couple months.

My exposure to Harper is limited to the first volume of Batman Eternal, but I wasn't fond of her. She came off as a "better than all of you" character and I wasn't fond of it.

I just find Tim to be boring and written as the perfect little bird who will one day become the. World's greatest derective. As a characters I don't find such a vanilla character interesting.

Jason was a shitty Robin based on his track record but the always over the edge makes him cooler.

Its why DCAU grafted Jason onto Tim's name, and both Ditf and Red hood are iconic stories, something Drake doesn't have.

tim1138

All of this is being duly noted haha you liked supergirl rebirth then, yay/nay? That's where I was planning on jumping in with Orlando.

Ah fuck, don't i know it man, Dysart is honestly one of the most real writers around but it's miserable stuff, you gotta respect him for putting himself out there and actually doing it before he'll write about it. I remember back when we were chatting about this stuff, had some people like la mignon saying thanks but no thanks, just couldn't stomach it. Put that in mind then the fact he actually goes to these places :(

Yea yea I was actually looking at the vision trade too, but thought hang that for awhile and do omega men first since its the whole thing. The art looks really cool too, don't recognise the dude but it looks real good

Somewhere last week I posted about my thoughts on Supergirl, but long story short, I enjoyed the first issue. I would still start with Midnighter, the first trade is out now and the second drops in October. Plus you can read a sneak preview for free here - http://www.dccomics.com/reader/#/comics/362066
No hyperbole, Midnighter is my favorite book of the past year.

Its probably best Dysart takes a break every now and then, but I hope he keeps doing stuff like that. Dude is great

They all look pretty good, don't they?

Hell yeah they do. We all know Doom Patrol is gonna be great, but Shade and Cave Carson are so my jam. Mother Panic looks the least interesting to me, but I'm still gonna check it out.

Tim is my favorite robin by far. He was the most normal of the bat family. He wasn't tortured by a tragic past. Wasnt angsty. Wasn't obsessed with being batman or thinking it was a full time gig. He wasn't a thrill seeker and he was the one robin that approached things with his head.

He was wanting to do good and Restored honor to the robin name. Especially when he appeared NOBODY was interested in having a robin around anymore.

Now when Dixon left these things started to erode.

Sou Da

I just find Tim to be boring and written as the perfect little bird who will one day become the. World's greatest derective. As a characters I don't find such a vanilla character interesting.

Jason was a shitty Robin based on his track record but the always over the edge makes him cooler.

Its why DCAU grafted Jason onto Tim's name, and both Ditf and Red hood are iconic stories, something Drake doesn't have.
Tim ain't perfect but I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain his entire character, Jason is a black hole of talent. He had one good story and then everyone else struggled to do anything with his awful teen punisher bullshit.

Imo Tim got fucked over by Identity Crisis and then got fucked over again with Flashpoint/N52

Somewhere last week I posted about my thoughts on Supergirl, but long story short, I enjoyed the first issue. I would still start with Midnighter, the first trade is out now and the second drops in October. Plus you can read a sneak preview for free here - http://www.dccomics.com/reader/#/comics/362066
No hyperbole, Midnighter is my favorite book of the past year.

Sweet man, I'll read it in the morning. Some fine comics chat to see the night out but I need to craaaash, I got a belly full of burger and places to be in the morning. Midnighter sounds worth a shot then, he was probably the best thing about the volume of Grayson I have, although I'm not sure that's a compliment. Really wasn't a fan of that collection, it read like there were three solid issues then just a ton of fluff before and after, just never got going, very frustrating for a full price trade.

I swear, this basket I'm planning on getting next week, it's 19 books strong at this point, I just keep adding. By the time I buy the thing, I'll be able to afford the books but I won't have the time to read em or the money to keep the electricity on to tell you all about em.

Peace brahs

mreddie

Hmm, tried and dropped:

Action Comics
Aquaman
Batman
Batgirl
Detective Comics
Flash
Hal Jordan
Justice League
Superman
Titans

I did not try Deathstroke, Red Hood, or Blue Beetle.

Ha, it was saved the arc for me. I want to see where it goes. I've tried everything* and so far, I've dropped:

Green Lanterns
Titans
Blue Beatle
Hal Jordan
Birds of Prey
Hellblazer

Because it's sooooooooooo boring. They just recycle the same plot about Babs memory being messed with over and over again

DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT

Can we have end of the year awards for posters? We should have a 'prodigal son' award for a poster that comes back and posts to a high standard like this Donnie guy.

We should also have an award for comeback fake out and give it to filthy slug.

I'll ask again because it got buried in a flood of buffy gifs.

Im in the process of getting Hickmans Fantastic Four/FF complete run, but im loving the Fantastic Four at the moment. Whats worth getting more, the Mark Waid run or Matt Fractions? IST has Fractions Omnibus for $55, or I can get Waid's run in separate Ultimate Collection trades.

frye

We should also have an award for comeback fake out and give it to filthy slug.

Kipp's gotta be a close runner up for that one

Im in the process of getting Hickmans Fantastic Four/FF complete run, but im loving the Fantastic Four at the moment. Whats worth getting more, the Mark Waid run or Matt Fractions? IST has Fractions Omnibus for $55, or I can get Waid's run in separate Ultimate Collection trades.

Waid over Fraction

Having caught up a little more on Astro City (though I am a few issues behind) my top three on-goings have to be

Astro City
Squirrel Girl
One Piece

I was recently recommended the Waid run, echo and gketter TheDarkKnight774 seem to really like it. (and prefer it to the Fraction run)

tim1138

Just to chime in on this, Fractions F4 run was not so good but his FF run with Allred was a lot of fun. Definitely go for Waid's F4 stuff.

Top Bottom