• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Aizo

Banned
It's really nice!

Just going to throw it out there guys. Took myself over to MangaGAF. Threw out a little teasing about them taking our quiz. NOT ONE REPLY. MangaGAF running scared. Comicgaf wins in a dirty prison shiv fight.
Hmm? I was the one that took the quiz over there. I even stated that I took it in the post. I'm more a member of ComicGAF than MangaGAF, but I used to be active over there several years ago. My first post in a MangaGaf thread in over a year was putting the quiz up last night.

I should have asked them what Western comics they like! Dammit!
I like some manga, though there's so much out there that I think the truly noteworthy titles are few and far between. Kaoru Mori books are my shit, tho.
I think it's like any medium. Sturgeon's Law and all that; there is a bunch of garbage, just like TV, film, literature, American comics, or games.

There are so many manga that to state that there are comparatively fewer noteworthy titles than in Western comics seems strange. I think exactly how many manga there are is not really apparent until you see it for yourself in Japan. Anyway, there are tons of fantastic classics that aren't even available in English. Hell, I love some series that either haven't been translated at all or haven't been translated fully.

Hmm? I was the one that took the quiz over there. I'm more a member of ComicGAF than MangaGAF, but I used to be active over there several years ago. My first post in a MangaGaf thread in over a year was putting the quiz up last night.

Yup, you came back and told us. Don't worry, I read your posts. If you read over there first, you'd see I directly quoted you ahah. I said I was teasing about it, not that I asked them the quiz. Hilarious though, because now we all seem to be doing the manga version hahaha. Flow iwll be back in here bragging soon

haha! "Rob Liefeld" "Name 5 good western comics in the last 5 years". I'm going to read all this later.

Birdie you no read my posts to you man ..I told you this an hour ago haha. Guess you were too busy getting rekt by Sandie for seriously believing Rich's hype for MUm & DAd Richards.

wait LOL. he was actually replying to you. hahahah. thats too good. "Um. Birdie. I'm not done making shit up just yet!"

Aizo

Banned
That's unfortunate. Many of the opinions expressed there, and some of the opinions I see expressed in here are hard for me to parse, because I like Western and Japanese comics equally.

I guess it makes a lot of sense that many Westerners wouldn't like manga, though. It isn't made for them. It's influenced by Japanese sensibilities, culture, sense of humor, and interests. It's the same reason many don't like Japanese TV (not even meaning anime here), myself often included; their TV isn't objectively worse a lot of the time, but it is hard to relate to (especially variety shows) for westerners.

Birdie you no read my posts to you man ..I told you this an hour ago haha. Guess you were too busy getting rekt by Sandie for seriously believing Rich's hype for MUm & DAd Richards.

wait LOL. he was actually replying to you. hahahah. thats too good. "Um. Birdie. I'm not done making shit up just yet!"

lol yup

Right

Mighty Thor.
Dr. Strange.
The Vision
Old Man Logan
Spider-Gwen.

What else is worth grabbing that has hit trade, from ANAD. ANAD avengers? That looks maybe fun. I want to get extraordianary x-men but the opinion on it just seems to be one of bad or at best, not entirely bad.

Got Black Panther, P-Man & I-Fist, Black Widow & Moon Knight down for when they hit trade, but closest out of those is end of Sept.

I literally ditched all my marvel books awhile back so this is a fresh start (to be fair, with the knowledge i'd jump back on a few like thor)

I love the implication that you're tallking garbage when it was literally ran on their site yesterday.

Right

Mighty Thor.
Dr. Strange.
The Vision
Old Man Logan
Spider-Gwen.

What else is worth grabbing that has hit trade, from ANAD. ANAD avengers? That looks maybe fun. I want to get extraordianary x-men but the opinion on it jsut seems to be one of bad or at best, not entirely bad.

Got Black Panther, P-Man & I-Fist, Black Widow & Moon Knight down for when they hit trade, but closest out of those is end of Sept.

Spider Woman is pretty great.

Manga:
Solanin
Goodnight Punpun
Prison School
Akira
One Piece
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun

Also really feeling Princess Jellyfish

Spider Woman is pretty great.

Noted! I have read Hopeless before, the battle royale series.Nothing else though. The previews look nice, especially the crossover where Joelle Jones pitched in.

Good read. That Peter David quote, fuck me. Is that in the context of like Bendis, putting it on us, or is he simply saying that readers do a logical thing and this is the result whatever. I've read this shit from companies over the years, creators over the years, even unbelievably had some fans berate me for buying trade only, not supporting the books the *correct* way. If I'm not buying books the right way, Marvel, DC & whoever should give up that trade revenue and the places they get their stories into with trades then, huh. And I still wouldn't buy single issues, it still wouldn't suit me. I put a fuckton of money into the industry, if marvel or anyone continue to cancel books due to the one revenue stream out of many, then I'm certainly not the idiot haha. That nighthawk is a perfect example, who knows if that thing will have legs as a volume with the good reviews its had.

Actually, I think what originally put me off the spider-woman book was the first three issues were part of a crossover, right? And the art was brutal? It's coming back to me. Obviously it's moved on since then, but I think that's where they originally lost me.

Can you imagine if Coca-Cola's strategy to get you to buy soda was to guilt trip you into believing they'll have to cancel Sprite if you don't let your supermarket know to order three cases of it for you in advance this month?

Brutal, yet wholly accurate. Really good stuff. This industry is, on the whole, pretty sick right now. In the US for sure. At least here we have the reprint books in newsagents but I have no idea of sales numbers for those. I don't think they're even reported actually, which is odd as most UK and Irish magazines have a circulation number in a fine print box (I buy PC Gamer UK and SFX which are both around the 20K range).

I don't know how suitable that material is for kids here, or rather, how comfortable parents would be with them reading it. I remember there was uproar when the Batman book published TKDR in their classic slot and national radio got a hold of the nazi stripper girl scene. I mean, as a kid I was reading stuff like the Clone Saga with clones violently melting, the Age of Apocalypse where Apoc got ripped in half, the Wolverine Unleashed collections which had gore or nudity pretty much every issue, and of course 2000 AD. But my mam didn't really care because at least I was reading something. She also has no idea about comics or any fictional characters so I guess I was sneaking it under the radar really. I have to imagine modern parents are more clued in, they're the ones going to Deadpool and Suicide Squad movies.

I thought the ComicsAlliance week just gone on kids' comics was really interesting to analyse that actually. If you're not going to try to attract new readers, and I mean actually attract and keep long-term, not the entrapment that goes on right now, who'll be there in 20 years?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Actually, I think what originally put me off the spider-woman book was the first three issues were part of a crossover, right? And the art was brutal? It's coming back to me. Obviously it's moved on since then, but I think that's where they originally lost me.

No that happens a few issues in I believe. I still haven't gotten there on MU.

. I mean, as a kid I was reading stuff like the Clone Saga with clones violently melting, the Age of Apocalypse where Apoc got ripped in half, the Wolverine Unleashed collections which had gore or nudity pretty much every issue,

Haha! These are literally the books I bought as a kid, from a newsagent haha. The thick ones with the three issue a book reprints. Then they added the Heroes Reborn book.

I've been struggling pretty hard to find age appropriate comic books for my kid. I got a solid recommendation in here on Spidey, there is Teen Titans go, but if you want to buy kids books with the heroes they see on movie and tv, but they aren't ready for the main product yet, it's slim pickings. This is as far as superhero comics go. Kaboom do some good stuff I looked at.

No that happens a few issues in I believe. I still haven't gotten there on MU.

I have no idea what I'm talking about then hahaha. I was thinknig of Spiderverse/Land I think.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Needs to be in every Comicthread:

lfA2DeN.gif

tim1138

One of DC's editors (Brian Cunningham I think?) pulled that same line of bullshit when Omega Men was temporarily cancelled last year, he put all the onus on the fans for not pre-ordering or buying multiple copies and said digital sales don't matter or count. Fuck that noise, if you're a publisher and want your book to sell then put it in a place where people who aren't already comics fans can find it and check it out. The Diamond model needs to die as soon as possible.

Haha! These are literally the books I bought as a kid, from a newsagent haha. The thick ones with the three issue a book reprints. Then they added the Heroes Reborn book.

I've been struggling pretty hard to find age appropriate comic books for my kid. I got a solid recommendation in here on Spidey, there is Teen Titans go, but if you want to buy kids books with the heroes they see on movie and tv, but they aren't ready for the main product yet, it's slim pickings. This is as far as superhero comics go. Kaboom do some good stuff I looked at.

It kinda baffles me that the Avengers is the biggest movie franchise on the planet, and Marvel can't put together an all-ages Avengers book that isn't regurgitated from the cartoon.

Bring back Thor the Mighty Avenger! And the Marvel Adventures line while you're at it!

Seriously, how are the Marvel Adventures books not in print forever? I think some of them are on MU but it's not the same.

Sandfox

The Outhousers is on the same tier as BC and I don't see the point in insulting people who have no control over the situation.

It kinda baffles me that the Avengers is the biggest movie franchise on the planet, and Marvel can't put together an all-ages Avengers book that isn't regurgitated from the cartoon.

Bring back Thor the Mighty Avenger! And the Marvel Adventures line while you're at it!

Seriously, how are the Marvel Adventures books not in print forever? I think some of them are on MU but it's not the same.

That cartoon reprint thing they do these days is fucking inane btw. Like, my kid literally watches those episodes on television. So then I buy him a comic and it's the same thing panel for panel? Where, as a business you want kids to buy in on all media, does this make sense. It's the dumbest (and laziest) move I've seen in a long while.

One fucking month in europe. And I funded this movie with my tax money. Its a shame.

That sucks man. Just checked haha, 5th of Sept. for the UK. In ma veiiins. I just want to see more Buck. I suppose a little Spidey is good too ;)

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
I've called for Diamond's death for a good-ass while now.

Everything ass-backwards about this industry can and should be pinned on them.

It's not just Diamond who's responsible for the direct market-- Marvel and DC share much of the blame, too.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
One of DC's editors (Brian Cunningham I think?) pulled that same line of bullshit when Omega Men was temporarily cancelled last year, he put all the onus on the fans for not pre-ordering or buying multiple copies and said digital sales don't matter or count. Fuck that noise, if you're a publisher and want your book to sell then put it in a place where people who aren't already comics fans can find it and check it out. The Diamond model needs to die as soon as possible.

This is the part that annoys me. Unless CMX has a giant take, there's no way that publishers shouldn't be making more on digital sales than on physical ones. In a world without Diamond, you'd think they would be pushing people towards digital in order to save a ton on printing costs.

Sandfox

This is the part that annoys me. Unless CMX has a giant take, there's no way that publishers shouldn't be making more on digital sales than on physical ones. In a world without Diamond, you'd think they would be pushing people towards digital in order to save a ton on printing costs.

I doubt Marvel or DC wants to be the first to push digital over physical.

Aizo

Banned
Does anybody know what's up with the Southern Bastards release schedule? It really sucks.
Ok guys remember when I started the newcomers questions with donnie yesterday? Well not only did you guys take it out of hand but aizo started it in the manga thread.

Crazy how fast that caught on
You're welcome.
What Manga do you like?

Junji Ito horror books
snip
<3

Top Bottom