• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

mreddie

CA_Supermovies_6-3-20161.jpg

What are you gonna go see?

Isn't Deadpool 2 coming in 2018?

Basically the MCU films. Maybe Flash but man, if WW doesn't work out, fuck the DCCU. LOL Gambit and Cyborg are somehow still a thing.

Hagi

John Stewart should've gotten a bigger push from DC, but that ship has sailed.

I grew up with Justice League and Justice League Unlimited so this would have been super cool. You never know what's going to happen in that Green Lantern film though with Johns taking a bigger role in the DCU I wouldn't expect anything but the Hal show.

Why do you read comics?.
Fiction + superheroes + elaborate universes + pictures + words = pretty fucking cool shit
Why do I continue to listen to a comic podcast even though it continues to annoy the hell out of me?!
Same reason I listened to Superbestfriendcast for so long. Because I can.
I would be surprised if this is anything more than an IvX companion book.
At most I'm 50% more hyped.
I can't...I just...I can't
Needs to be in every Comicthread:

lfA2DeN.gif
Why? But also yes.
Not too much beyond GL by Geoff Johns.
You read Multiversity, yeah? You got it. I found DC cosmic to be a lot more focused on the multiverse than Marvel's. I mean, Superboy Prime was a major player in Sinestro Corps. War for god's sake.
CA_Supermovies_6-3-20161.jpg

What are you gonna go see?
I thought BP dropped next year
Can they stop with the Cyborg thing
But founding member status though

Ross61

I grew up with Justice League and Justice League Unlimited so this would have been super cool. You never know what's going to happen in that Green Lantern film though with Johns taking a bigger role in the DCU I wouldn't expect anything but the Hal show.
I would expect John Stewart to follow soon after, given DC Films push to add more diversity.

jackdoe

Captain Marvel and Shazam within a month of each other is hilarious if they actually end up with those dates.
Shit, we'll get Thanos and Darkseid within a month of each other too if those dates hold and Marvel doesn't blow their Thanos load with Infinity War.

Boogiepop

who asked for it? Black Lightening, Mr Terrific, Amazing Man, etc I can see but who the fuck gives a shit about Cyborg out of Teen Titans?

Well, how many people actually care more about those dudes than Cyborg either?

I've only ever seen Mr. Terrific in bit roles honestly, but for whatever reason he's kind of clicked with me from what I've seen. I really wish there was some great stuff out there for the character as I'd jump on that, but when I asked about that in here before nobody responded, so I'm guessing he's probably lacking in good runs...

Generalizations everywhere man. It was a mess.

Did I also mention that I learned how to create my own gifs?
8To3zZm.gif

tumblr_mroqr0Luw51qcrr5qo1_400.gif

I've only ever seen Mr. Terrific in bit roles honestly, but for whatever reason he's kind of clicked with me from what I've seen. I really wish there was some great stuff out there for the character as I'd jump on that, but when I asked about that in here before nobody responded, so I'm guessing he's probably lacking in good runs...

jsaomnibus00.jpg

Only read the first omnibus, but hot damn is it absolutely fantastic.

Vyer

still so impressed with the great job they did with BP's costume

EDIT: Anyone read Way's Thunderbolts? How was it?

kmfdmpig

I just learned this recently but apparently Didio offered Christopher Priest to write Cyborg before Deathstroke and he was like "nah dude I'm good" lol

I don't blame him. I mean what do you do with the character? He has ties to Teen Titans, no real villains of his own, etc...

If they could get someone like Neal Stephenson or William Gibson, who understands technology, to try their hand at comics then perhaps you could make the character interesting, but I can't imagine that they could land anyone like that. As it is he's a high tech character with no real supporting cast, no real villains, and his one unique trait (high tech) is wasted with most writers who aren't familiar enough with that world to do anything with it.

A Mr. Terrific ongoing with a bit of joy to it that focuses on his intelligence while mixing in adventure, kind of like a toned down Atomic Robo could be fun.

It's because I'm green isn't it?
Of course not. I'm not racist. I have a color TV.
Awesome, thank you for this!
Absolutely.

Hourman is a bitch, though. Remember that. Well, android Hourman is.
I don't blame him. I mean what do you do with the character? He has ties to Teen Titans, no real villains of his own, etc...

If they could get someone like Neal Stephenson or William Gibson, who understands technology, to try their hand at comics then perhaps you could make the character interesting, but I can't imagine that they could land anyone like that. As it is he's a high tech character with no real supporting cast, no real villains, and his one unique trait (high tech) is wasted with most writers who aren't familiar enough with that world to do anything with it.

A Mr. Terrific ongoing with a bit of joy to it that focuses on his intelligence while mixing in adventure, kind of like a toned down Atomic Robo could be fun.
Everybody wants to focus on the whole transhumanism/humans reliance on technology aspect with Cyborg, but no one has bothered to make me give a fuck about Victor Stone as a character.

kmfdmpig

Everybody wants to focus on the whole transhumanism/humans reliance on technology aspect with Cyborg, but no one has bothered to make me give a fuck about Victor Stone as a character.

That's true as well. It's weird how under-developed the character is considering how long he has been around and how many books he has been in over the years. Stone is an appropriate last name as he's a blank stone.

Ross61

He has a supporting cast of his father and the other scientists in Star Labs. Also has Sarah Charles as a love interest. That's a start. Any good writer could build upon that and make some real villians. I also kind of like his convos with Shazam. David F Walker was starting out good but I don't know what happened. I'll see where this new writer does.

On a different note, seems DC sent out some rejection letters for it Writers Workshop today. A LOT of people seem to have been rejected.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
just read the first chapter of My Hero Academia

pretty charming so far, if a bit by the numbers. willing to give the whole volume a shot before i really judge it though. my interest will live or die on how charming the supporting cast ends up being.

Sandfox

He has a supporting cast of his father and the other scientists in Star Labs. Also has Sarah Charles as a love interest. That's a start. Any good writer could build upon that and make some real villians. I also kind of like his convos with Shazam. David F Walker was starting out good but I don't know what happened. I'll see where this new writer does.

On a different note, seems DC sent out some rejection letters for it Writers Workshop today. A LOT of people seem to have been rejected.

IIRC Walker has implied that DC wasn't letting him do what he wanted, which is why he left the book.

Messi

LOL oh messi. The fact is, they let it go to 12 and now we have a masterpiece in our hands.

Sure, its an amazing book that the fans forced them to allow to exist.

If DC had gotten their way it would have been cancelled at #7 and we would never have this lovely trade.

That's true as well. It's weird how under-developed the character is considering how long he has been around and how many books he has been in over the years. Stone is an appropriate last name as he's a blank stone.

The thing is, he has tons to make him an appealing character as far as his human side goes. He's a successful athlete with huge prospects, whose dreams are shattered suddenly by an accident which obliterates a chunk of his body. In order to save him, he is outfitted with cybernetics, making him half tech, half man A.K.A. a cyborg. Already you have a motivating factor in sympathizing with him. Then, you have another aspect with him having a lack of family. No mother or siblings, leaving only his father who is so distant that he may as well not even be there, as he seemingly cares more for his tech than his son. This already creates a great background, and it's so simple and easy. Shaky parentage and family with a purely tragic origin? Fantastic. I see no reason that a compelling character can't be created here...unless he isn't given a real personality. He mopes, but not even an interesting and intriguing mope. Just a mope.

Teen Titans (the cartoon) did something intriguing with him: it kept his jockish personality from his football days as a mask for his true feelings: sadness at his loss, while also a strong fear of the loss of his humanity and an inwardly directed anger at what he could become and that he may just be a weapon. It also gave him the persona of "Stone," which was basically a Luke Cage homage. This was basically an image inducer with self-reduced powers (simply super strength and invulnerability). Dunno if the comics did this as well, but even the cartoon couldn't bring me to be interested. Two of his episodes focused him had him succeeding in the dumbest ways and for the dumbest reasons.

Using every component of what's been provided or has the potential of existing within that space, you have an extraordinarily compelling character which is complemented by the modern social, philosophical, and political themes regarding modern technology and racial issues.

I want to love this character, so why don't I? I mentioned the cartoon previously, in which he was my least favorite character out of the crew (Robin came first obviously. Dick 4 lyfe). Maybe I need to read his solo (previous or upcoming matters not), but it honestly isn't pulling me in. I dunno, but until something happens to bring me in, I'll never be interested in the character.

Top Bottom